Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intruder posted:

the profile pages still have AIM and ICQ :lol:

Hang on, let me re-install Trillian so I can chat on all of the major chat programs.

Oh boy, 2004 aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mods please change thread title to GOOTS

And since you asked for it:

(I spent way too much time on this)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
lmao owned

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1483540705947668482

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

after entering my w2 info it looks like my refund might buy me new countertops :toot:

I just looked at mine and I'm only getting like $250 back. I thought with this year making more money than I've ever made + my deductions not changing at all = more money in return but I clearly don't know how taxes work

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Are we going to have to rescue Matt Damon AGAIN??

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Fortune favors the brave!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I just looked at mine and I'm only getting like $250 back. I thought with this year making more money than I've ever made + my deductions not changing at all = more money in return but I clearly don't know how taxes work

I rarely get much more than a few hundo back, but I’ve just started making more than poverty wages within the last few years, am not married and (still) don’t own this drat house :argh: I could probably get more if I filed with an actual tax person though over free tax software.

I am definitely not looking forward to this years return though since I was on leave from work for a solid two months in 2021 and wouldn’t be surprised if I owe this year :smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
More super cool supreme court stuff

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1483468495778103296

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your withholding is supposed to make it so you don't owe much or be owed much, it scales with your income. If your income all comes from a normal job (e.g. not 1099s ) and you filled out your W-4 correctly that should be the normal experience regardless of whether your income went up or down this year.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Lol I owed over $1000 in taxes three years in a row because I hosed up my deductions. Now I get a return but when I was super broke that always made me really nervous.

I heard back from the supervisor for the court job I applied for and it's getting reposted in the next few days, hopefully. I really love my work but I really need a break from case carrying.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Suck on that Tom Brady.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Your withholding is supposed to make it so you don't owe much or be owed much, it scales with your income. If your income all comes from a normal job (e.g. not 1099s ) and you filled out your W-4 correctly that should be the normal experience regardless of whether your income went up or down this year.

Yeah that's what I thought but I ended up owing the first year I filed with each me and my ex claiming one kid, updated the w4, and both years since then I've gotten big refunds which surprised me but whatever it's better than owing and you get dinged with a penalty for owing more than one year in a row anyway

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pedant: A tax return is the paperwork you file. The tax refund is the money (if any) you get back.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

T-Square posted:

I rarely get much more than a few hundo back, but I’ve just started making more than poverty wages within the last few years, am not married and (still) don’t own this drat house :argh: I could probably get more if I filed with an actual tax person though over free tax software.

We filed with someone last year and didn't get any more than previous years, so it's not a given.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
we owe taxes every year :/. varies year to year and we increased our charitable giving substantially this year to offset a bit more, but ultimately it doesn't bother me to pay taxes. i just wish they were used better instead of offsetting corporate/wealthy tax breaks.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Pedant: A tax return is the paperwork you file. The tax refund is the money (if any) you get back.

Remember the IRS says this year you have to claim any stolen property

I jk :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Having to file a tax return is dumb and only exists because an industry exists that profits from it and can lobby to leave it as it is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I should be getting a hefty tax return from the state of CA since I lived in WA state while making a CA salary, so I should get all my income tax I paid back.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Don't forget that this year you'll have to file taxes on PayPal money you receive via goods & services.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

you have to file taxes on the stolen property itself AND the money you received fencing it via paypal?

double taxation!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

fuuuuuuuuuuuck I wanna go

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Oh if any of you guys are 1099 or have 1099 employees, there is a new form this year and the IRS didn't tell anyone, its 1099 NEC, 1099 Misc will not be accepted.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Timby posted:

Timby being pedantic about refunding money is not the twist I expected.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Whoa nelly missed this spicy one

https://twitter.com/RNRenewal/status/1483215371519729664?t=K8tn06ZJEwgepgMTrIAYSA&s=19

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Android Apocalypse posted:

Don't forget that this year you'll have to file taxes on PayPal money you receive via goods & services.

How does one file the money lost to catfishing? Gambling losses? Asking for a friend.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrLogan posted:

Timby being pedantic about refunding money is not the twist I expected.

I have journalism and PR degrees (edit: and I work in marketing, despite being a Salesforce / Pardot admin at the moment). Being pedantic comes naturally. :v:

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 18, 2022

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Spoeank posted:

I've never heard of 3/4s of them and the ones I have heard of were cool in my twenties. I guess I was technically younger then.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Spoeank posted:

Welp I'm going

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'll be getting 1099 forms from ticketmaster since I sold more than $600 worth of tickets last year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I'll be getting 1099 forms from ticketmaster since I sold more than $600 worth of tickets last year.

I never noticed the little radio signal lines above the gizmo in your av before and just spend like ten seconds trying to rub what I thought was a smear off of my screen

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Spoeank posted:

Nearly all of these bands suck.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Calm down, this weeks mod.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Spoeank posted:

Some of my friends are going to that so I'm using it as an excuse to hit Vegas that weekend. Won't be at the show though...maybe

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh god, this is the one that bought the naming rights to the Lakers arena

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Kalli posted:

I wish the hackers stole Russell Westbrook instead

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Calm down, this weeks mod.

Jokes on you, I’m just an IK.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Kalli posted:

They also sponsor the 76ers!

I'm also gonna say there's a non-zero chance that the pop-punk festival is Fyre Fest part two

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

Spoenks musical taste has been suspect for years.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Apparently that event is being put on by the same people that put on the AstroWorld event that killed a buncha people so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

T-Square posted:

Apparently that event is being put on by the same people that put on the AstroWorld event that killed a buncha people so yeah

What's life without a little risk? :downs: