Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

unreal tournament announcer voice

LATENT HEAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlpgSJJBu1U&t=55s

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNm1dH1flA

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rime posted:

Please don't post the science misunderstanding alarmist in here. For reals, we've called this guy out as an idiot for like two years running.

I hate when this dude gets posted here. I never remember his name and it always takes me a few minutes to figure out it's the same guy if someone hasn't already come along and yelled at whoever posted the tweet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

fanfic insert posted:

things you dont want to be the last man to hold on to:

Coffee
Nicotine
Heroin
Fentanyl

probably in that order

Alcohol?

I don't even like tobacco or alcohol but I'm considering keeping a little stash of it around for trading.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Alcohol?

I don't even like tobacco or alcohol but I'm considering keeping a little stash of it around for trading.

Anyone who has been in lockup can make you some alcohol.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

buy the the science misunderstanding doomer an account, he'd fit in

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Kicked Throat posted:

Anyone who has been in lockup can make you some alcohol.

Right, I forgot people can make their own.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I hate when this dude gets posted here. I never remember his name and it always takes me a few minutes to figure out it's the same guy if someone hasn't already come along and yelled at whoever posted the tweet.

I'm too lazy to check, but I'm pretty sure it's the same guy who posted "AMOC COLLAPSE IMMINENT" several months ago, and we all got excited lol

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

mawarannahr posted:

I have a really stupid Jared Diamond level theory that things really changed when Europeans started drinking coffee instead of beer
all of modernity is just the rush society got by injecting coffee, petrochemicals, and cocaine

its gonna pop
:rubby:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

On the one hand he gave so little fucks about material reality that he burned himself alive and didn't flinch

On the other hand he did that as a form of protest because of other people's actions in the material world

7/10

Lmao is the fire that burns within

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

skooma512 posted:

Alcohol?

Alcohol can be made by anyone with access to fruit and water, though adding sugar and keeping a frozen supply of commercial yeast will probably up your yield

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Rime posted:

I wake up and stretch, in a bed filled with plastic fibers.

Get up, my feet touch a carpeted floor, made of plastic fibers.

Open the curtains, made of spun plastic fibers.

Put on some clothes, made of plastic fibers.

The water (filled with microplastics at the source) in my tap travels through kilometers of plastic piping and tubing. I brush my teeth with plastic fibers on a plastic handle.

Make some coffee / tea in a plastic kettle, mix in some honey from a plastic container.

Pour my breakfast oats out of a plastic bag.

Throw my lunch in a plastic container, into my backpack made of plastic, head out the door. Keycard is plastic, I've lost a couple.

Hop into my truck, cab decked out in plastic, turn on the cabin heater full blast.

Head off to work.

Grind a few dozen lbs of short-chain polymer resin into the air and watch it blow away on the breeze, smiling at a job well done.

Get "home", cook some dinner out of plastic packaging.

Chill out on my couch made of plastic.

Repeat the first few steps in reverse, settling down into my semi-plastic bed for a peaceful 8 hours of slumber.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Another beautiful day on this glorious planet we call home, I'm sure. Glad I focus on living a clean healthy life!

#blessed.

:suicide:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Why is "home" in quotation marks

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Spend 12 hours breathing through meltblown plastic, the only technology able to prevent infection from the deadly pandemic.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Rodney The Yam II posted:

people call their apartment a "home"

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

for real though I love my plastic clothes, they are my best clothes and have magical properties our descendants will covet

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
They wont need to covet it when we find out how much plastic is transferred in utero

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I'd been living in Marriot hotel rooms for going on two years when I wrote that post.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spime Wrangler posted:

for real though I love my plastic clothes, they are my best clothes and have magical properties our descendants will covet

all of my sweet button up dragon shirts will be passed down from generation to generation as a sign of nobility

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My GF bought some colored pencils. They were pencil cores encased in plastic with a lever to bring them forward.

She got mad at me for pointing out that all these will just go into the ocean or a landfill and stay there forever.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rime posted:

I'd been living in Marriot hotel rooms for going on two years when I wrote that post.

The windfarm tilting life sounds seriously rough. Glad you got out of it.

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

skooma512 posted:

My GF bought some colored pencils. They were pencil cores encased in plastic with a lever to bring them forward.

She got mad at me for pointing out that all these will just go into the ocean or a landfill and stay there forever.

Meh. Just enjoy it. That poo poo may last forever but the civilization that produced won't. Buy her an adult coloring book and fill in curse words together while plastic makes your penis smaller and gives you both dementia.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

texas is a deeply cursed land, above as it is below

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/west-texas-geyser-oil-well-chevron/

quote:

It is fortunate the well turned out to be an old oil well and not an abandoned water well. The Railroad Commission says it has no jurisdiction over water wells. Indeed, this new geyser is located only twelve miles northeast of Lake Boehmer, sixty acres of noxious water flowing from what began as an oil well but was converted decades ago to a water well. Nobody claims jurisdiction over that problem, which first appeared about twenty years ago and keeps growing.

Stopping the flow of water from the Chevron well could be complex and expensive, and may take weeks. Capping it above ground could cause an underground blowout, in which the stream of salt water carves a new path into a freshwater aquifer or other rock stratum. Figuring out what caused the well to blow out in the first place may prove to be even more involved. It could be a result of saltwater disposal that’s part of normal oil well activity. Highly saline water comes out of active wells alongside oil and gas and is injected back deep underground under high pressure. The amount of water injected in the Permian Basin is extraordinarily large and has caused a series of earthquakes around Midland. Potentially, some of this salt water migrated upward and created a pressurized pocket that eroded away cement plugs in the well and escaped to the surface. (If that’s the case, it may be shortsighted that the state has brought in vacuum trucks to hoover up the water from the blown-out well and is reinjecting it into a saltwater disposal well a few miles away.)

Spime Wrangler has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Jan 19, 2022

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

God Hole posted:

one time a few months back i was feeling hungry so i hopped on my bicycle to ride over a nearby sandwich shop (which has about 3 or 4 branches locally but isn't a big chain by any definition). i decided to do this, internally in my head, and said nothing out loud to indicate i was doing this because i was alone. i did not bring my phone with me and when i got there, i paid for my sandwich in cash.

when i got back home, i sat at the kitchen table and started eating. in the middle of my meal, i got a message from a friend on instagram so i picked up my phone to answer it. after i answered the message, i started absentmindedly scrolling my feed before being accosted by an advertisement for the tiny sandwich shop i was just at. my jaw dropped, i couldn't believe it. i started wracking my brain as to how the algorithm could possibly know i was just there before it finally hit me: i was holding my phone's front-facing camera over the sandwich wrapper which was plastered with tiny logos of the sandwich shop.

i double-checked my settings and no, instagram was not "allowed" to "access" my cameras lol

if the algorithm was so smart why did it show you an ad for a place you had already visited, seems like a waste of money

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I’ve been taking a mental health break from this thread for the last 6 months, although I’m not sure it helped as I have since fully transformed into that person with pockets full of seeds to share with the neighborhood crows. I assume things still aren’t that bad, yet?

Very sorry to hear about the imminent death of coffee.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Rime posted:

Oh that makes more sense I thought you were expressing contempt at our plastic living-boxes

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pygmy tyrant posted:

I’ve been taking a mental health break from this thread for the last 6 months, although I’m not sure it helped as I have since fully transformed into that person with pockets full of seeds to share with the neighborhood crows. I assume things still aren’t that bad, yet?

Very sorry to hear about the imminent death of coffee.

On average, life is OK. It's worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
yo I'm not super connected to the religious world, but like, why aren't more religious people outraged by what man has done to what they consider to be god's perfect creation?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

For the American Protestants it's a combination of "You can't destroy God's creation" and "It was put here specifically for us to destroy as we see fit".

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Homocow posted:

yo I'm not super connected to the religious world, but like, why aren't more religious people outraged by what man has done to what they consider to be god's perfect creation?

from what I understand, there's two major camps:

1 - habitat collapse is a hoax, none a dis is real

B - our ever-increasing stream of disasters and mass death is gods judgment, the true believers will be raptured away soon

the first one is dumb as poo poo but the second one is straight up heresy if you're christian so lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
God wouldn't have given us fossil fuels if he didn't want us to burn them.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Paradoxish posted:

God wouldn't have given us fossil fuels if he didn't want us to burn them.

He did. This is hell. We're in hell my dude.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

skooma512 posted:

yo for real, don't do that thing you did. at least not if you don't want to quickly end up cheated on and/or single.

and i mean that with best of love and no antagonism

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Jan 19, 2022

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Homocow posted:

I assume in some creeds a view that scientists are anti-God and thus human drive climate change is a deception of the devil. I've wondered if there's sects out there that believe God endowed man with the ability to know his creation and thus the rejection of scientific understanding could be viewed as anti-God.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Xaris posted:

yo for real, don't do that thing you did. at least not if you don't want to quickly end up cheated on and/or single.

and i mean that with best of love and no antagonism

Truer words have never been spoken. The only way to avoid isolation is find some bullshit dual power community that isn't cspam (lol) or don't talk about cspam.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
crack ping in the streets, stable normie in the sheets

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Homocow posted:

The only point of lived existence is to either:

A. Live a life of Christian values :airquote:, Die, and languish in purgatory until the Apocalypse and judgement day.

B. Usher in the apocalypse, and judgement day, thus freeing all these souls - at which point all sinners will be cast into hell and the "righteous" ushered into the kingdom of heaven.

This is why Americans, among many other things, are so blindly supportive of Israel. It isn't due to anything related to the Holocaust, it's because the book of revelations stipulates a number of things regarding Israel and the temples which they believe need to be brought to fruition before they can enter heaven.

The net result of this is that the living world, likely the only existence they will ever know barring something like universal consciousness turning out to be true, is viewed as entirely disposable. This life is a transient state, a stepping stone to an eternity of bliss and utopia under the stern gaze of a loving parental figure.

Modern interpretations of Abrahamic religions walk hand in hand with consumer capitalism, they're parasitic twins.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Basic Poster posted:

Truer words have never been spoken. The only way to avoid isolation is find some bullshit dual power community that isn't cspam (lol) or don't talk about cspam.

the first rule of cspam is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Rime posted:

Modern interpretations of Abrahamic religions walk hand in hand with consumer capitalism, they're parasitic twins.

I bet this person calls themselves a good christian