Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For anyone wanting a premium larger size android tablet and doesn't want Samsung, Lenovo is selling the P12 Pro in the US now for $629.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/lenovo-tab--p12--pro/za9d0052us

It's comparable to the Tab S7+ across the board (though I guess the pen isn't quite as finely tuned.)

This tablet should be one of the first to get Android 12L as google was giving discounts to buy it to use the developer preview a few months ago.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
In the market for a mid range android tablet, mostly for media consumption, it seems the Xiaomi Pad 5 is the best value for money option, are there any others I should be looking closely at? At 400 Euro the price is roughly that of a 9th gen iPad in my region.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You probably have more options being outside of the US. I think that Xiaomi Pad 5 has been generally well recieved.

One thing I'm looking forward to is hearing more about the Lenovo Legion Y700.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...l.589184.0.html

Looks to be the higher end modern 8" Android tablet that the market has been missing for awhile. No one knows though when it will come out, what regions it will be in, and what the price will ultimately be.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cross-posting from my Chromebook thread:

Atomizer posted:

The Lenovo 10e is currently on sale for $100. It's the EDU version of the Duet; the former's a little chunkier but more rugged, with less internal storage and no keyboard case (which is available separately for under $50, but is a version without the tiny touchpad like the Duet's included one has.)

Otherwise, it's got the same CPU, RAM, probably display, and possibly speakers. Probably worth it for almost anyone for $100!

While not exactly an Android tablet, it's close and runs Android apps, and could be an alternative for some people.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

So I have a Nanit camera for my newborn, and while I can watch the camera and do the things on my phone, I want to have a dedicated tablet to use around the house as a "baby monitor" - basically all it needs to be able to do is run the Nanit app, and everything else is cherries on top - generally looking at Galaxy tablets bc I have other Samsung Galaxy stuff and it all works p good. Just want a cheap one that gets the job done, but idk anything abt tablets so I'm open to whatever.

Without outside influence I'd buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094Q89NKH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Is there a reason I should look at any other tablet for this use case?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

black.lion posted:

So I have a Nanit camera for my newborn, and while I can watch the camera and do the things on my phone, I want to have a dedicated tablet to use around the house as a "baby monitor" - basically all it needs to be able to do is run the Nanit app, and everything else is cherries on top - generally looking at Galaxy tablets bc I have other Samsung Galaxy stuff and it all works p good. Just want a cheap one that gets the job done, but idk anything abt tablets so I'm open to whatever.

Without outside influence I'd buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094Q89NKH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Is there a reason I should look at any other tablet for this use case?

Just get the cheapest fire tablet for like $50 or whatever it is these days.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How intrusive are the ads on a fire tablet?

It would be kind of lovely to have to sit through one when you just want to fire up the baby monitor quickly and see what’s up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

How intrusive are the ads on a fire tablet?

It would be kind of lovely to have to sit through one when you just want to fire up the baby monitor quickly and see what’s up.

They are on the lock screen. Once you unlock it, they go away.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also I’m pretty sure you can get rid of them pretty easy on these new ones.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

MarcusSA posted:

Just get the cheapest fire tablet for like $50 or whatever it is these days.

Fire Tablets are Android? Bc the app I need to use is on the Android app store

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

black.lion posted:

Yeah. They run a heavily modified version of Android.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

black.lion posted:

Yeah and it doesn’t take long to get things up and running either.

https://youtu.be/Z9vwFKoFcLo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah and it doesn’t take long to get things up and running either.

https://youtu.be/Z9vwFKoFcLo

You don't even need to do all this. There's 1 setting box to tick and you can just download the apks for Google Play. No extra PC software/connection needed.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
One of the reasons I have an iPad is that there weren't any Google made tablets available at the time, however, I've not really become a fan of iOS and am considering switching back. I usually stick with Pixel phones because I don't really like manufacturers making changes to notifications, memory management and having duplicate system apps. In those aspects, how close is the Galaxy Tab S8 to something like the Pixel? Should I expect that stuff to be pretty different or mostly the same as on a Pixel? The Tab S8 because it seems to be the only real solid mid-range to high-end option. I've spent a little bit of time with the Xiaomi Pad 5 but wasn't a big fan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you know OneUI on their phones, it's about the same on the tablets.

It does have significant and useful enhancements for multitasking and I actually find it more useful and functional than the iPad mini I have.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

If you know OneUI on their phones, it's about the same on the tablets.

It does have significant and useful enhancements for multitasking and I actually find it more useful and functional than the iPad mini I have.

I don't, only had Pixels and OnePlus really, but I take it you feel the aspects I mentioned are not strong negatives? Could you also maybe speak to the battery life and the quality of the speakers? Those are features I value relatively highly (my feeling is I have to charge my ipad Air 3 pretty frequently and the speakers are only middling).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The speakers (on at least the larger plus and ultra, haven't had the 10") are easily the equal of the iPad Pro models.

Battery is hard to quantify given the on and off nature of use, but some tests or there put it just behind the equivalent iPad pro models when used full tilt. Standby drain isn't bad, under 10% per day. Charging is pretty fast if you have a PPS charger. My ultra with the 11,000mAh battery will go from zero to full in under 2 hours with a 45w or higher PPS charger.

The SPen is easily the equal of the Apple Pencil if not better.

The split screen is so easy to use and that's even before getting into Dex.

Visually OneUI is different from the Google style, but it's more "different" now rather than bad (there are still a few things I don't like that I think Google does better on phones, but less of an issue on a tablet.)

Samsung has actually committed to a long update cycle with these tablets now too.

I really like my S8 Ultra and I liked the S7+ before that. I chose to go up rather than do the base simply because I wanted OLED rather than LCD.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I appreciate your detailed impressions, thanks!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Incessant Excess posted:

One of the reasons I have an iPad is that there weren't any Google made tablets available at the time, however, I've not really become a fan of iOS and am considering switching back. I usually stick with Pixel phones because I don't really like manufacturers making changes to notifications, memory management and having duplicate system apps. In those aspects, how close is the Galaxy Tab S8 to something like the Pixel? Should I expect that stuff to be pretty different or mostly the same as on a Pixel? The Tab S8 because it seems to be the only real solid mid-range to high-end option. I've spent a little bit of time with the Xiaomi Pad 5 but wasn't a big fan.

Wait a bit, like a couple of weeks. The Lenovo Y700 gaming tablet should be out.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

torgeaux posted:

Wait a bit, like a couple of weeks. The Lenovo Y700 gaming tablet should be out.

This looks like it could be a great value device but I mainly use this for media consumption, so my priorities are good speakers, display and a sensible OS with good software support. I'm not sure how the Lenovo will fare, especially in the latter category.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

torgeaux posted:

I really want that thing, but there's no confirmation yet that they are releasing in the US.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bull3964 posted:

I really want that thing, but there's no confirmation yet that they are releasing in the US.

Same here.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, thread. Could you please recommend me a tablet for my wife? She rents a space at a local business, and is looking for something to take Square payments on, run an Office/Excel equivalent on, and use for events and social media posting. Budget is the name of the game for this one, otherwise, I'm a desktop jockey, and she hasn't had a tablet in almost a decade, so we're way behind the times on what to look for. Any advice, links, etc, would be appreciated. Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. Could you please recommend me a tablet for my wife? She rents a space at a local business, and is looking for something to take Square payments on, run an Office/Excel equivalent on, and use for events and social media posting. Budget is the name of the game for this one, otherwise, I'm a desktop jockey, and she hasn't had a tablet in almost a decade, so we're way behind the times on what to look for. Any advice, links, etc, would be appreciated. Thanks!

You're going to hate this, but just get an iPad. Seriously.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You're going to hate this, but just get an iPad. Seriously.

I was going to suggest this but Instagram doesn’t have a native iPad app (fuckin dumb) so that could be the only downside.

Beyond that I’d have to echo the above poster.

It will just work with very little hassle.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I was going to suggest this but Instagram doesn’t have a native iPad app (fuckin dumb) so that could be the only downside.

Beyond that I’d have to echo the above poster.

It will just work with very little hassle.

This does the job better than native / or a lot of people prefer it to facebooks terrible code

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id382011064?at=1001lrwp

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You know what, that's entirely fair, and I appreciate the honesty in those replies. I'll head over to the iPad thread. Thanks!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Torn between a Tab A7 Lite and a HD 10 Plus 2021, which are similarly priced in my region. Not in US I'm afraid, so importing directly from Amazon would cost me a pretty penny sadly. Which one would last me longer for just streaming and light reading? I can't make head or tails out of the processors mumbo jumbo, though I understand they've at least got the same amount of RAM and expandable space.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The PPS version of Anker’s 1000mAh battery is on sale for $32 today on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portab...aps%2C59&sr=8-4

This should charge the Pixel 6/6 Pro at max rate and recent Samsung devices at 25w.

The only thing is this is being sold by Woot on Amazon and the last thing I got from Woot from amazon ended up in a USPS black hole never to return. I don’t really know if that’s Woot’s fault though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I've been thinking about getting a tablet for mostly video watching, I'm an Apple Guy but can't justify to myself dropping over £300 on a tablet for my expected use case so I'm looking at the £100-200 Android tablet range. Is the no-brainer option in this range the Galaxy Tab A8 as it seems to be? Bearing in mind my last tablet was the sainted Nexus 7.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If it's just a cheap tablet for video watching, look at the Kindle Fires.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was, but then saw the A8 can be had around me for about the same price as the Fire 10 and if it's as good or better out the box without the Amazon bullshit I know Fires have I'd rather have the Samsung barring anything weird about it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can uninstall/disable most of the Samsung stuff nowadays. My Tab A7 isn't amazing but has good speakers and is nice for YouTube/netflix.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Android 13 beta docs add more fuel to rumor about the 2022 Nest Hub being a detachable Android tablet:

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/13/behavior-changes-all#ux posted:

Figure 2 shows an example of how this looks on a phone and tablet device, respectively:

Looks like we're finally getting another first party Google Android tablet after 7 years. If it happens, kudos to the team who pulled off the "it's not a tablet, it's a it's a portable interactive speaker with a touchscreen" heist to get the job done.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Hey, Google is going to make another tablet.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/11/23065055/google-android-tablet-pixel-io-release-date

I can't wait for it to be another $700 flagship that no one buys rather than a replacement for the Nexus 7 that everyone loved.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unlikely. It's tensor so no Qualcomm tax and they managed to put tensor in a $450 phone.

I'm going to guess 10" at $550.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
So my in-laws bought my mother-in-law "a tablet." "What brand is it?" I ask, with a sinking feeling. "We're not sure."

It's a Sannuo K102, off of Amazon, Android 11. She's not going to use it for anything more strenuous than hidden-object games and a little browsing and videos, but is there anything about that brand I need to be wary of, since I'll be their tech-support guy when something goes weird?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

delfin posted:

So my in-laws bought my mother-in-law "a tablet." "What brand is it?" I ask, with a sinking feeling. "We're not sure."

It's a Sannuo K102, off of Amazon, Android 11. She's not going to use it for anything more strenuous than hidden-object games and a little browsing and videos, but is there anything about that brand I need to be wary of, since I'll be their tech-support guy when something goes weird?

There's a lot of random brands of tablets that work fine. The only thing is that I wouldn't expect any kind of warranty support so if she's going to save anything to it try to make sure it's syncing to a google account for backup in case it breaks, so it could be restored onto a replacement. Also, just warn her about dropping it or bending the connector while charging it. It likely won't be super sturdy.

I'd have gone with an amazon fire tablet myself but you do have to sideload the play store to do much with it. You can probably have her put Anydesk on it so you can remote into the tablet for tech support if you want to.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Well, I found some "onn" tablets (Walmart brand?) in my price range. Does anyone have experience with these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spacegrass posted:

Well, I found some "onn" tablets (Walmart brand?) in my price range. Does anyone have experience with these?

Not specifically, but they look like a fairly cheap brand that has 8" and 10" $99 tablets. What you'll usually find in these is older CPUs and GPUs (well, System on a Chip) with a lot less ram than most smart phones have these days. It'll be fine for general media consumption but a little slow and not great for games. They'll also have limited upgrading of the OS in the future so they'll be out of date in 2-3 years most likely. If you can, see if there's one on display so you can look at the screen. I've had some cheap tablets that have just really garbage LCD panels, but I don't know about the onn ones specifically.

My current go-to for a cheap android tablet is a refurbished Amazon Fire 8" for $40 or so. They come up on amazon or woot every few months. You can sideload the play store and while they have all of the caveats of the above, they're usually built not to fail in under a year. If they last longer than a couple of years they were worth the price. You can use them for Youtube and streaming video or web browsing but they're a bit slow and unremarkable. It's just kind of how it is at that cost basis.

I have one fire hd 8" set up with Business Calendar that has the display set to "always on" on my desk and I keep my weekly schedule up. It's been going since 2018-2019 without much trouble. I don't ask it to do anything else but other than a reboot every couple of months it just sits there and shows me upcoming dates.

Despite not being an apple fan, they've got a lot of the market for tablets covered with the ipad and there aren't too many android brands except maybe samsung that have tried very hard to compete in the last few years. Google seems to be focusing more on the Chromebook as a ChromeOS that can run android apps platform now since they sell them to schools and get kids using their cloud services. Google has announced a new pixel tablet coming near the end of the year but a lot of their devices tend to be high end.