Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fair.

Any recommendations for Steam games specifically for younger (7 years and under) kids?

Plants vs Zombies was very popular with my younger sister and cousins when they were that age. Peggle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fair.

Any recommendations for Steam games specifically for younger (7 years and under) kids?

The Lego games

A Short Hike

Chuchel

Meadow

Windosill

Scriblenauts (if you have an adult to guide some of the spelling)

The Humongous games (although they're old as poo poo)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
iirc Diablo 3 was fun because you could be a wwitch doctor and save the world with a plague of toads.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fair.

I think Yoku's Island Express would work well if they like pinball.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Anecdotal: my 4 year old loves watching me play Mr. Driller DrillLand, Nex Machina, and Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 19, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fair.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Any recommendations for good kids games on Steam? Edutainment or otherwise.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1118310/RetroArch/

Also Stardew Valley (depending on how young they are you might have to help read text to them and guide them) https://store.steampowered.com/app/413150/Stardew_Valley/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my friend’s 7 year old enjoys the poo poo out of deep rock galactic on easy mode but kind of needs other people around to focus on the objectives

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
One time when she was three my niece wanted to play PUBG so her dad passed her the controller and she ran into a house and wanted to know how she could wash the dishes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fair.

You can probably look for the games that you played at that age, since chances are they're also on Steam. Older JRPGs like FF4, Doom, and the old Lucasarts adventure games among others look like they might fit the bill. Upgrade as necessary for modernity?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fair.

A Hat In Time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SirSamVimes posted:

A Hat In Time.

edit: It even has local coop!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I decided to give PUBG another go... now it wants me to complete 10 AI matches before it'll even let me do multiplayer? AND it forces me to do it in third person? Come on.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

EA would be less expensive than Acti/Blizzard. They're both public companies, so the valuations are pretty clear. By stock price EA is valued at 37.8 Billion. Even with a healthy premium it would still be cheaper, in theory. But the situations are different so I don't know if that kind of takeover would be feasible.

EA also isn't just a developer, they also publish a good amount of games created by other studios, right? I would think that would make the calculus a little different.

Regardless I doubt they would allow that, EA is sittin pretty while Actiblizz was in turmoil and some of the other devs bought out had their own issues.

Wiltsghost posted:

Didn't Microsoft have 3 of the top 10 selling games on steam at one point. Doubt they'll mess with that.

You would hope so, and overall I agree with you. But circumstances could change and it wouldn't be that surprising, once they've bought up almost all the triple A developers worth a poo poo, if they make a move to cut steam out once they know they have enough games that people are unlikely to just voluntarily not play them because they prefer steam.

I would hope not, and I wouldn't expect that, but they're a business who will make whatever choice will make the most money for them.

sirtommygunn posted:

I think Yoku's Island Express would work well if they like pinball.

I think that game would be too frustrating for a child, to be honest. Perfect visual style but the gameplay gets real tricky as you go along.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Fair.

Pupperazzi comes out in a couple days: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1028350/Pupperazzi/

It’ll also be on Gamepass IIRC.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Spyro is not for kids. It's a game made by masochists that basically amounts to a long series of minigames, each one demanding absolute millisecond-perfect performances out of almost all of them to progress.

Like no poo poo I would consider the dexterity requirement to beat Spyro about the same as what you'd need to beat Celeste.

The game was made before fancy modern concepts like "accessibility" and "not being designed by assholes" and the port does not let up on this at all. It's very pretty, and the animations are beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who was just looking to have a good time playing a video game.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 19, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fair.

Nuclear Blaze has a kid mode

:3:

(i liked the regular game though it was a little short for a tenner fwiw)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HopperUK posted:

One time when she was three my niece wanted to play PUBG so her dad passed her the controller and she ran into a house and wanted to know how she could wash the dishes.

Blessed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fair.

Trine.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Spyro is not for kids. It's a game made by masochists that basically amounts to a long series of minigames, each one demanding absolute millisecond-perfect performances out of almost all of them to progress.

Like no poo poo I would consider the dexterity requirement to beat Spyro about the same as what you'd need to beat Celeste.

The game was made before fancy modern concepts like "accessibility" and "not being designed by assholes" and the port does not let up on this at all. It's very pretty, and the animations are beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who was just looking to have a good time playing a video game.

That's only if you are trying to 100% the games, and also really only applies to Spyro 2 and 3 for the minigame portion of the comment. I had all three as a kid and I turned out fine.

The remake also adds a 'gem radar' feature for Sparx to all of the games as a default feature to help 100%ing, which was absolutely awful in the original games if you didn't know the cheat code that did the same thing and missed a single gem behind a wall somewhere.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

GreatGreen posted:

This video game is not for kids. It is a game made by masochists that basically amounts to a long series of minigames, each one demanding absolute millisecond-perfect performances out of almost all of them to progress.

Like no poo poo I got less frustrated playing Celeste than I did playing Spyro.

The second and third ones to an extent, but the first game is a relatively straightforward collectathon platformer without much variation. Easy enough for young kids to understand and get through, excluding the level Tree Tops which is like something out of Romhack and has supercharge jumps which may or may not be possible depending on how the physics aligns with your FPS.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fair.

Looking through a bunch of my games, these might be good options:

Bang Bang Racing: A top down micro-machine-like racing game, currently on sale for $2.

Any of the Bejeweled games

Costume Quest 1 or 2: A cute RPG - though they may need help reading the story.

EDGE. A cube puzzler - the later levels get tough.

Eufloria: A plant puzzler - very chill.

Flight Control: Arcadey plane landing game that can get chaotic.

HOARD: Be a dragon and collect all the gold.

Kind Words: I occasionally fire this up to have my kids write a few nice things to strangers that need encouraging words.

Any of the LEGO games as mentioned

Octodad: Octopus dad making a mess of anything he touches, which is everything. My kids were crying laughing with this one.

Osmos: Absorb nearby motes to grow bigger. Simple and chill.

Pool Nation: Who doesn't love shooting some pool?

Rock of Ages (1-3): Roll a big rock down a hill and smash things with fart noises. Doesn't get more kid friendly than that.

Scribblenauts: Create a vast array of items by typing in nouns and adjectives. Fun learning experience for young kids, though some of the puzzle answers are obtuse.

Shatter: HD brick attack with kickin' music? Heck yeah.

Sonic All Stars Racing: Sonic Cart Racer, absolute blast to play with others.

Wizorb: Wizard brick attack.

Worms Crazy Golf: Classic Worms action + golf, my kids also loved this one.

I am sure I can think of more later. I shied away from anything remotely violent or hard to pick up on, though kids are quite good at games at a young age so maybe the latter isn't an issue.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

The beat them all when I was ten

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Nuclear Blaze has a kid mode

:3:

(i liked the regular game though it was a little short for a tenner fwiw)

This is adorable. I clicked through out of curiosity and it's made by one of the Dead Cells devs, so it's now on the wishlist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

have you considered that you are now incredibly old?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

New thread title.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

My life is Spyroing out of control.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh my god. We're going to have to report to in-game jobs in order to earn in-game money in order to continue playing the loving game aren't we. This is Hell.

edit: And then eventually within the game will be a mini-game that we can play in order to make the drudgery of the in-game job more palatable. A sort of escapism, if you will

read the square enix NFT screed, it sounds an awful lot like they expect to just let players make the fuckin games, probably without even paying them.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Well it worked for Roblox on the labor of middle schoolers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gulp is a hateful bastard of a boss regardless of age

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

has anyone, in the history of the monster hunter franchise, genuinely been forced to use a boomerang consumable item to sever a monster's tail, because they were using a blunt weapon

Yes actually, they were very useful in the monster hunter games before world where tail-cutting used a different system.

It used to be that any attack with any kind of weapon/damage could reduce tail hp but once that hp hit 1 only cutting damage could actually finish it off and sever the part. So you could go to town on a monster's tail with your big ol' hammer and then last-hit it with a 1-damage boomerang to cut it off.
In MHW you can only reduce the tail's hp with cutting damage in the first place so the consumables are dogshit useless. If you have a hammer you just have to accept you won't get a tail without going into multiplayer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I remind you all that rich white men are only allowed to fail upwards. Bobby is about to be offered a position at an even bigger company.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Ragequit posted:

Any of the LEGO games as mentioned

A word of caution about the lego games. If you decide to give them a shot, buy them through steam so you have the option to refund them if they don't work. Getting some of them to work has been hit or miss, with some crashing right away. Not sure if it is specifically a "me" problem, but Lego games are the only ones I've ever had to refund due to not working.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

GreatGreen posted:

spyro is a game where you press the charge button and occasionally glide, what even.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
crash 1 is the ps1 mascot platformer that was notoriously difficult in places (which the remake made worse iirc due to some minor physics changes), not spyro

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

spyro is a game where you press the charge button and occasionally glide, what even.

Look at this guy who hasn't 100%'d Spyro.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Velocity Raptor posted:

I can't even figure out what this person is even saying. Clicking into the conversation doesn't provide any clarity either. Sounds like he's upset that Blizz sold for $70b and the people who play their games isn't getting a cut? Was there something at some point that made this an expectation?

He's essentially saying that players of Activision's games should be paid for playing the games, because without the players the game would have no playerbase. It's like if you went to this hot dog stand every single day, and you showed up one day and said that you should be paid because you're the #1 customer, and other customers see you standing in line for hot dogs and think "wow, I want to stand next to that guy who is waiting for those hot dogs."

In this man's case his preferred method of being rewarded is receiving the free hotdogs for free and being afforded the privilege of being allowed to resell the hotdogs himself, under the illusion that he will have an easier time selling them, and will be able to sell them for more, than the hotdog stand owner in the first place.

This seems like a good idea to him because he doesn't know how to cook a hot dog, the instructions are too complicated for him, and as far as he can tell this source of getting hot dogs is just as easy as cooking them yourself. He hasn't thought out how he will sell the hot dogs because he is now fixated with throwing a public tantrum at the hot dog vendor shot down his request for free hotdogs to resell, he hasn't got that far yet and assumes the 'business' side of things will be easy once he has his supply locked in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GreatGreen posted:

Look at this guy who hasn't 100%'d Spyro.

Spyro 1 has some dickish bits sure but comparing it to Celeste is just... :pwn:

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Any recommendations for good kids games on Steam? Edutainment or otherwise.

Dorfromantik is the kind of game I like to think I would've liked as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Spyro 1 has some dickish bits sure but comparing it to Celeste is just... :pwn:

The whole trilogy wasn't like that, ok the majority of it wasn't like that, but too many parts of Spyro absolutely require that kind of concentration, but it's way more obnoxious because the controls and camera in Spyro are a lot worse. I'll stand by that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 19, 2022