Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Railing Kill posted:

:drac::respek::drac:

Two of the guys I play EDH with regularly are two of my old VTES pals. We'll sometimes play an EDH variant like Star Commander when we miss the interesting dynamics of the old predator/prey relationships of VTES.

If I had a good way to play VTES online, I'd offer to play with you. I know there is some support for it in things like Tabletop Simulator, but it's just not something I've gotten into. I just have six tournament decks and a "VTES cube" that I designed before selling off the rest of my collection a few years back. I guess you can PM me if you want to chat about VTES.

More on topic:

I need ideas for a RB commander. It is my everlasting shame as someone who usually played red Sligh and suicide black back in standard and extended in the 90's that I haven't found a RB commander that clicks with me yet. I guess it doesn't need to be aggro, but that would just be a bonus. Anything interesting would do. I recently tried Strefan Maurer but found it underwhelming compared to Edgar Markov. I also tried a Kardur artifact deck that just isn't working. I might be overthinking that one and should just try it some more, but I'm also shopping for a RB commander that really pops.

So, goons of the EDH thread, any recommendations?

Vial Smasher + Sakashima?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Prosper is pretty boss

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

I need ideas for a RB commander. It is my everlasting shame as someone who usually played red Sligh and suicide black back in standard and extended in the 90's that I haven't found a RB commander that clicks with me yet. I guess it doesn't need to be aggro, but that would just be a bonus. Anything interesting would do. I recently tried Strefan Maurer but found it underwhelming compared to Edgar Markov. I also tried a Kardur artifact deck that just isn't working. I might be overthinking that one and should just try it some more, but I'm also shopping for a RB commander that really pops.

Grenzo is one of my all-time faves. Gives some otherwise terrible cards a great place to shine, and it plays like no other deck.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Vial Smasher + Sakashima?

Hahahah holy poo poo ummmmmmmm

This might be it, but I'm going to keep listening.

pseudanonymous posted:

Prosper is pretty boss

Oh dang. Look at this lil' guy. Built-in card advantage and ramp outside of green or blue? Hmm

The Shortest Path posted:

Grenzo is one of my all-time faves. Gives some otherwise terrible cards a great place to shine, and it plays like no other deck.

This one might also go on the short list. I like how the deck can be calibrated differently depending on how much power you plan to put on Grenzo. I also love an excuse to abuse stupid jank that won't go into any other deck. That's why I'll never have a reason to take apart my Hallar deck: there is absolutely nothing above uncommon in that deck that I need for anything else.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Railing Kill posted:

Tevesh//Rograkh Value Sac
Grenzo Gobbos
Judith Aristocrats
Toggo//Keskit Rock Sac
Mogis Pain Stax
Florian Value Aggro

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Speaking of Sakashima + Vial Smasher. Anyone got a good list?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Speaking of Sakashima + Vial Smasher. Anyone got a good list?

What if sakashima was Malcom?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

What if sakashima was Malcom?

I don't particularly care as long as the list is good.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Obosh Dragon's Approach

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

There’s gotta be a list for a fun (and definitely janky as hell) Blim, Comedic Genius deck out there somewhere, right? Just as an RB commander suggestion.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TotalHell posted:

There’s gotta be a list for a fun (and definitely janky as hell) Blim, Comedic Genius deck out there somewhere, right? Just as an RB commander suggestion.

I’ve got one up on my channel (commander mechanic) that I put together last year. Definitely some room for updates but it’s pretty fun.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What are decent cards to get to upgrade the Wilhelt precon in terms of like sub $10 cards and sub $50 cards?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Necroduality, Undead Warchief, Ghoulcaller Gisa, Geralf Visionary Stitcher and the standard package of better targeted removal and counterspells

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mikaeus the Unhallowed is gonna be a powerhouse in any deck like Wilhelt (at around $50)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dizz posted:

What are decent cards to get to upgrade the Wilhelt precon in terms of like sub $10 cards and sub $50 cards?

Poppet Stitcher enables a bunch of infinite combos with all of your decayed zombies

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

cheers. also holy poo poo poppet stitcher is busted as gently caress. i guess i should get Ashnod's altar as well.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wand of Orcus and Champion of the Perished are good cheaper pick ups too.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I forgot Acererak for that sweet Rooftop Storm infinite combo that drains all of your opponents

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Dizz posted:

cheers. also holy poo poo poppet stitcher is busted as gently caress. i guess i should get Ashnod's altar as well.

Ashnod's Altar is a card that's hard to have too many copies of. It's good even in decks that don't make it their business to kill their own creatures.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Insert my annual rant about how irreplaceable Phyrexian Altar is, how it is starved for reprints, and how it gets more expensive every month.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Ashnod's Altar is a card that's hard to have too many copies of. It's good even in decks that don't make it their business to kill their own creatures.

it is also going to be in a pauper deck of mine. i really should get like 4-5 copies of it for the hell of it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Insert my annual rant about how irreplaceable Phyrexian Altar is, how it is starved for reprints, and how it gets more expensive every month.

Preach, brother. I treated myself to two singles from my LGS when I got a gift card a couple birthdays ago: this, and Necropotence. The thing is crazy expensive for what it is. I don't mean to minimize its value but holy poo poo does it need a reprint or four.

Neth
Jan 12, 2022

Dizz posted:

For cards below $10, I recommend Shepherd of Rot (ONS, not PLC), Boneknitter, Corpse Harvester, or Noxious Ghoul.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I like watching LegenVD's Historic Brawl videos sometimes on Youtube. How easy would it be to take something like this or this and retool it into a legitimate Commader deck? Would it just be easier to start from scratch, or from the "average" list for the commanders on EDHRec instead?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I like watching LegenVD's Historic Brawl videos sometimes on Youtube. How easy would it be to take something like this or this and retool it into a legitimate Commader deck? Would it just be easier to start from scratch, or from the "average" list for the commanders on EDHRec instead?

The power level on these are incredibly low, and they would barely get through a single opponent with their best draw, not 3. They really aren't worth looking at.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All of LVD’s cool brawl decks are great ideas for a 1v1 space but only his Emry or Winota lists are good multiplayer builds, and Emry is k my good because P-Engine is still legal

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’ve browsed through EDHrec and a few other places, but I figured I’d surface the question here to some fellow goons:

I lucked into a Tinybones this week, so now I’m looking at a discard deck. Any recommendations? I’m already planning on running specters, the Professor Onyx + Chain of Smog combo, Bottomless Pit, Necrogen Mists, and Waste Not. Any major other major inclusions I’ve missed?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TotalHell posted:

I’ve browsed through EDHrec and a few other places, but I figured I’d surface the question here to some fellow goons:

I lucked into a Tinybones this week, so now I’m looking at a discard deck. Any recommendations? I’m already planning on running specters, the Professor Onyx + Chain of Smog combo, Bottomless Pit, Necrogen Mists, and Waste Not. Any major other major inclusions I’ve missed?

Talk about your budget/proxy situation because Chains of Mephistopheles and Tergrid are both great.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Talk about your budget/proxy situation because Chains of Mephistopheles and Tergrid are both great.

Tergrid is one of those cards I know I SHOULD run but it just causes so much angst at the table. I guess if it’s one of my 99 and not my commander that tempers it a good bit.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Tinybones is going to be built around repeated mass discard. It's going to cause feel bads in casual tables.

I mentioned this in the discord, but so many cool mono black commanders fall into that camp. I've made lists for a lot of them but they're oppressive for casual and too slow/fragile for cEDH. Tergrid, Tinybones, Konrad, Yawgmoth... It's annoying.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, Tergrid. Way too weak for cEDH, way too cool for casual.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Framboise posted:

Ah, Tergrid. Way too weak for cEDH, way too cool for casual.

I thought we JUST finished confirming that cEDH = casual. :psyduck:

Stop confusing me! :argh:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
sheldon casual table = 4 players with tergrid in the commandzone, no removal

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

playing casual competitively, and competitive casually.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Aranan posted:

Tinybones is going to be built around repeated mass discard. It's going to cause feel bads in casual tables.

I mentioned this in the discord, but so many cool mono black commanders fall into that camp. I've made lists for a lot of them but they're oppressive for casual and too slow/fragile for cEDH. Tergrid, Tinybones, Konrad, Yawgmoth... It's annoying.

Yeah, I mean to an extent discard, mill, and stax-control all play in the same space of “make other people play the game less.” Mill is the least offensive of these usually, with discard/stax being the ones that really bug people. So I’m looking at running this deck in casual tables at like a 7-8 power level. Strong enough that people should reasonably expect any viable strategy, but not cEDH level.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Grevlek posted:

sheldon casual table = 4 players with tergrid in the commandzone, no removal

I think Sheldon would violently poo poo himself at the table if he saw anyone pull out a Tergrid deck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think Sheldon would violently poo poo himself at the table if he saw anyone pull out a Tergrid deck.

Suddenly it would turn out that many people have been contacting him about Tergrid and drastic action needs to be taken immediately, for months actually people have been saying things about Tergrid, and the RC has listened.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Suddenly it would turn out that many people have been contacting him about Tergrid and drastic action needs to be taken immediately, for months actually people have been saying things about Tergrid, and the RC has listened.

I want to believe this is what happened when he had a single permanent blown up by a Sylvan Primordial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I cannot wait for Tergrid to get banned because the whining will dwarf any amount of complaints about her being unfun