Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is the one I use

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/d734a4c13d034a24a84e952f4eabe840

Shortcuts got a little weird on the last iOS release so sometimes it doesn’t “work” but doing it a second time seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Question Mark Mound posted:

If it becomes a standard video player, does that mean you can't cast the video from it to a Chromecast? That's basically the only thing keeping me on the official YouTube app right now.

Ahh, there’s the rub. We’re an airplay household but IIRC there are a couple apps that claim to add Chromecast/Roku/etc. to the default player too.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

This is super handy! Thank you!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

GoatSeeGuy posted:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

I deleted the YoutTube App, this makes the browser version so much better.

Lovely! Thanks!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
iOS 15 has killed my old iPad mini 4. Safari in particular is practically unusable, locking up for long periods of time. I can barely run two apps without one of them reloading when I switch away. Restarts and killing apps haven’t helped. Are there background processes I can turn off to improve performance?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Centrist Committee posted:

iOS 15 has killed my old iPad mini 4. Safari in particular is practically unusable, locking up for long periods of time. I can barely run two apps without one of them reloading when I switch away. Restarts and killing apps haven’t helped. Are there background processes I can turn off to improve performance?

Stupid question but have you done the backup ~> restore dance? Then from DFU mode and so on?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I kept my iPad mini 4 around when I got the 5, whenever that came out. I remember Safari being pretty painful in iOS 14 with a relatively fresh install, similarly having long lockups. Media player apps and such worked fine enough though. Never figured out the Safari lockups.

It was worth decent money on a trade in when I got the new iPad mini at least.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

tuyop posted:

Stupid question but have you done the backup ~> restore dance? Then from DFU mode and so on?

Stupid answer, this actually helped noticeably. It’s also gotten a lot easier to backup and restore. Namaste, fellow goon

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Pretending like my Mini 6 will last forever

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I'm still using a 9.7-inch iPad Pro. I've been very tempted to upgrade to the 11-inch iPad Pro 2021, but I can't justify the cost and am probably going to wait for the Air 5 (whenever that is released). I wonder what features it will adopt from the current Pro line compared to its current specs.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

aarstar posted:

I'm still using a 9.7-inch iPad Pro. I've been very tempted to upgrade to the 11-inch iPad Pro 2021, but I can't justify the cost and am probably going to wait for the Air 5 (whenever that is released). I wonder what features it will adopt from the current Pro line compared to its current specs.

Even the current air is great. I get the desire to wait until something is newly refreshed but if you can get a good deal on the Air of today I’d do it. Source: have a 10.5 pro and just got a new Air for the wife and am insanely jealous. It’s good kit and the Touch ID is actually awesome whereas the faceid on the pro is still janky.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have an old iPad from 2017 or whatever. One thing I tried back then to do was load these CS books that I knew I would never read but that at least I could lie to myself that I would try to do so, and it was a mess of "install this" or do some very unorthodox procedure to import them, and the end result is that I had to load my PDF and epubs into the device by emailing them to myself. It was absurd and I couldn't believe there wasn't an easier way to do this.

Sometime last year, I decided to read stuff and to my complete surprise, my whole collection was loving gone. Poof. Absolutely no signs of it ever having existed. I'm going to imagine the thing panicked on not being to download some update (it's got 32 GB and currently more than 10 of these are taken by loving system updates) so it's always hovering near max allocation of space. Or something like that. I loaded a couple of books into it via email again, because I didn't know any other better way to do it, and hoped this time it would take.

Last week I checked, and those books were gone again. I'm astounded.

To say this whole experience has been super frustrating is underselling it. Help me here. Am I missing something? Is there a better way to load my damned books into the thing than emailing them? And how do I ensure they don't get randomly deleted? I can live with the email procedure but not with them disappearing.

Or is this whole affair just a waste of time and I should look instead into finally buying an actual ebook reader whenever I get the money for it in the future?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That sounds odd. What app are using when you email them to yourself? In the past I've emailed myself some ebooks to my kindle address. They never got auto deleted. I put pdfs on iCloud Drive and read them through the preview app for classes I take and that works well enough for me. There's certainly better apps for pdfs but I just needed to read them and not edit them or anything so my method worked for me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

serebralassazin posted:

What app are using when you email them to yourself?

Just Apple's own email app synched with Gmail via IMAP. I then click download, then send to Books.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Saoshyant posted:

I have an old iPad from 2017 or whatever. One thing I tried back then to do was load these CS books that I knew I would never read but that at least I could lie to myself that I would try to do so, and it was a mess of "install this" or do some very unorthodox procedure to import them, and the end result is that I had to load my PDF and epubs into the device by emailing them to myself. It was absurd and I couldn't believe there wasn't an easier way to do this.

Sometime last year, I decided to read stuff and to my complete surprise, my whole collection was loving gone. Poof. Absolutely no signs of it ever having existed. I'm going to imagine the thing panicked on not being to download some update (it's got 32 GB and currently more than 10 of these are taken by loving system updates) so it's always hovering near max allocation of space. Or something like that. I loaded a couple of books into it via email again, because I didn't know any other better way to do it, and hoped this time it would take.

Last week I checked, and those books were gone again. I'm astounded.

To say this whole experience has been super frustrating is underselling it. Help me here. Am I missing something? Is there a better way to load my damned books into the thing than emailing them? And how do I ensure they don't get randomly deleted? I can live with the email procedure but not with them disappearing.

Or is this whole affair just a waste of time and I should look instead into finally buying an actual ebook reader whenever I get the money for it in the future?

What app are you using? You can use the default books app for that. That definitely won't just delete stuff. What I do wonder is if you have a certain filter turned on when browsing or you're browsing a certain category which is hiding those files.

But, as for getting ebooks onto the device. There's a few ways. If you have a computer you can use iTunes or Finder (MacOS) to just manually dump stuff in the Books folder. You can upload stuff to a cloud service like iCloud, Google Drive, etc, and then use the mobile app to browse those files/move them, whatever.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Just Apple's own email app synched with Gmail via IMAP. I then click download, then send to Books.

When in books, go to library then tap on collections. There's different categories there you can browse through. Do your books show up there?
I don't use the books app but that's weird it would auto delete your books. The only guess I can make is maybe it does something dumb like open your books in the Books app then deletes them from a temp folder.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

What app are you using? You can use the default books app for that. That definitely won't just delete stuff.

The default Books app. It definitely deleted stuff. Twice. I don't know why and thus why I was inquiring. I guess it's not a common occurrence, though.

While the books were there, the app was super happy to remember each page I was on for each book, the last book I had read, etc. Very useful, until the mass deletion.

Jose Oquendo posted:

But, as for getting ebooks onto the device. There's a few ways. If you have a computer you can use iTunes or Finder (MacOS) to just manually dump stuff in the Books folder.

I have iTunes on Windows and that transfer method didn't work for me back then. Did the situation change or does it work specifically with OS X only?

serebralassazin posted:

When in books, go to library then tap on collections. There's different categories there you can browse through. Do your books show up there?

No. When it first happened I noticed the layout for the app had changed, so I suspected it could have been something like that and my side-loaded books were filtered, but that wasn't the case then. And I just rechecked

The only book there is a freebie I "purchased" years ago from the iTunes store.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, it does seem like iTunes changed because I just updated whatever old version I had in this Windows machine and the iPad now has a Books section that I just dragged a bunch of PDFs into easily. Let's hope this time they aren't automatically deleted sometime in the future.

This theory:

serebralassazin posted:

The only guess I can make is maybe it does something dumb like open your books in the Books app then deletes them from a temp folder.

Is probably not wrong. The fact I was side loading them via the email app + the storage issues probably triggered a deletion of a temp folder where the books were maybe stored? I dunno. Honestly, don't care as long as this time the stuff sticks.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Ok. That's really weird behavior. Sorry couldn't help more. Maybe it's a bug.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Saoshyant posted:

The default Books app. It definitely deleted stuff. Twice. I don't know why and thus why I was inquiring. I guess it's not a common occurrence, though.

While the books were there, the app was super happy to remember each page I was on for each book, the last book I had read, etc. Very useful, until the mass deletion.

I have iTunes on Windows and that transfer method didn't work for me back then. Did the situation change or does it work specifically with OS X only?

No. When it first happened I noticed the layout for the app had changed, so I suspected it could have been something like that and my side-loaded books were filtered, but that wasn't the case then. And I just rechecked

The only book there is a freebie I "purchased" years ago from the iTunes store.

I did a little bit of playing around and I think what serebralassazin is true. the ebook was just being cached and then eventually flushed.

I did give you bad info regarding iTunes or Finder. Those want the books in your 'book library' in order to sync, just like your music needs to be in iTunes to sync it.. You could use a 3rd party ebook reader and just do a drag and drop with iTunes.

However if you want to use Files.app, you can do this:

-Use a cloud service that hooks into Files like was mentioned. Upload files to cloud, access them through the appropriate app.

-If you want to email ebooks, here's what you have to do:
-Email file to yourself
-Tap and hold on attachment and choose 'download'
-Tap and hold again but this time select 'save to files.' Here you can select where to put the file within the Files.app structure. Your choices here depend on what you setup. You can also choose 'On my iPad' and even create a books folder.

Hope this helps. The books stuff IS a nightmare and while I'm not a huge ebook person, the few times I have messed with it confuses the gently caress out of me too.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Conversely I opened a PDF of my lease in books 10 years ago and it’s still there somehow. I haven’t bothered to delete it but it’s happily sitting in the cloud.

Not saying you’re imagining things but there’s definitely some way to make it stick.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If it's a 32GB iPad that's full (talk about a redundancy) is it possible that you're updating it by doing the restore method in iTunes?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have an 11” iPad Pro 2021 with a magic keyboard and love it, but it’s not super handy for couch reading since the keyboard doesn’t fold back for reading in portrait mode.

Is there anything third party like the old Smart Keyboard folio? I’m looking for something magnetic (so I don’t have to pry it off when I wanna use the magic keyboard for actual work), with a keyboard that folds back behind the iPad so I can hold it on the couch in portrait mode. The old version of the Smart Keyboard folio offered this at some point and it was great.

Most of what I’ve found on Amazon either does the cover fold or has a keyboard, or has both but the case isn’t magnetic.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

~Coxy posted:

If it's a 32GB iPad that's full (talk about a redundancy) is it possible that you're updating it by doing the restore method in iTunes?

No, I have to loving delete games from within the device for it to update because they are the largest stuff that I can actually delete since I can't touch what Apple calls "system cache". Sometimes after an update there's enough space for me to reinstall said game, most often though, barely any space was freed so the game is just lost even though there had been enough space just the week before.

Over the years I already had to get rid of Dragalia Lost, the Pokemon TCGO and, more recently, Pokemon Unite because those also just kept blowing up in filesize and I have no idea how Apple expect people to use a tablet that uses more than 33% of its storage capacity for the operating system and "cache", plus additional space to download newer system updates. Nor do I understand how those games just keep blowing up in filesize too.

Anyway, I just know there's an issue when there's an alert saying that X iOS update couldn't be installed or downloaded because there was not enough space. There's never enough space. If I ever buy a new tablet I'll make sure it's something I can actually put an SD card on.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 10, 2022

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I'm finally running into work situations where my iPad Pro 2018 battery can't handle all-day Zoom calls without needing a charge. I'd like to continue using my wired headphones but reviews on USB-C adapters with 3.5mm and USB-C power seem totally mixed. Does anyone have a good one they use?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

McGurk posted:

I'm finally running into work situations where my iPad Pro 2018 battery can't handle all-day Zoom calls without needing a charge. I'd like to continue using my wired headphones but reviews on USB-C adapters with 3.5mm and USB-C power seem totally mixed. Does anyone have a good one they use?

It may not work for you, but if you can find a Magic Keyboard deal (Mine is 12.9 4th Gen for 200, also works on the 5th) it has a power pass through on the side of the hinge that leaves your iPad's USB-C open for whatever. More spendy than adapter, but possibly more useful depending on your situation.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

Pretending like my Mini 6 will last forever
Probably last a good while. The 4th gen came out with an older gen CPU when it came out, and thus missed out on one of the bigger jumps (A8 to A9) which would've helped over the years. At this point it's six generations behind, vs just two for the 5th gen (which still feels totally fine).

Ultimate Mango posted:

Even the current air is great. I get the desire to wait until something is newly refreshed but if you can get a good deal on the Air of today I’d do it. Source: have a 10.5 pro and just got a new Air for the wife and am insanely jealous. It’s good kit and the Touch ID is actually awesome whereas the faceid on the pro is still janky.
Heh, I feel like Touch ID is the most annoying thing about the iPad mini, I guess cause I've gotten used to tapping the screen to wake. Course the best would be to just have both...maybe one day :negative:

McGurk posted:

Most are probably the same generic design internally so just try one with a bunch of ok enough reviews and easy return policy I guess. Main concern I have looking at a few is that they don't seem to support the headphone's mic on iPads for whatever reason. Maybe the built in iPad mic can still work in those cases?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well Played Mauer posted:

I have an 11” iPad Pro 2021 with a magic keyboard and love it, but it’s not super handy for couch reading since the keyboard doesn’t fold back for reading in portrait mode.

Is there anything third party like the old Smart Keyboard folio? I’m looking for something magnetic (so I don’t have to pry it off when I wanna use the magic keyboard for actual work), with a keyboard that folds back behind the iPad so I can hold it on the couch in portrait mode. The old version of the Smart Keyboard folio offered this at some point and it was great.

Most of what I’ve found on Amazon either does the cover fold or has a keyboard, or has both but the case isn’t magnetic.

Logitech Combo Touch keyboard. I just got one because I was having the same annoyance with the otherwise brilliant Magic Keyboard.

It uses the smart connector, has a slot to accommodate the pencil docking/charging, and the keyboard detaches. You can even attach it the other way around to fold away to the back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0937Z63SR/?th=1

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Proteus Jones posted:

Logitech Combo Touch keyboard. I just got one because I was having the same annoyance with the otherwise brilliant Magic Keyboard.

It uses the smart connector, has a slot to accommodate the pencil docking/charging, and the keyboard detaches. You can even attach it the other way around to fold away to the back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0937Z63SR/?th=1

Thanks - I’d been shying away from the combo touch due to cost (already have the magic keyboard) and being leery of the detachable keyboard, but I’m really not finding anything that makes the grade for what I need outside or the Smart Folio Keyboard, and I’ve had build quality issues with the one I had on my iPad Pro from 2017.

Questions about the combo touch: how unruly is the kickstand if you’re doing lap typing? I’m sure it’s not as sturdy as the magic keyboard, but if I set it on the couch between my legs, would it hold up? I did that with the Smart Keyboard folio with decent success.

The more I look at it the more I’m thinking it may cover my needs well. I usually have the iPad off to the side while I work for personal stuff, then yank it off the magic keyboard to do handwritten note taking with the pencil. I’m kinda wondering if it’ll be able to replace the magic keyboard completely.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well Played Mauer posted:

Thanks - I’d been shying away from the combo touch due to cost (already have the magic keyboard) and being leery of the detachable keyboard, but I’m really not finding anything that makes the grade for what I need outside or the Smart Folio Keyboard, and I’ve had build quality issues with the one I had on my iPad Pro from 2017.

Questions about the combo touch: how unruly is the kickstand if you’re doing lap typing? I’m sure it’s not as sturdy as the magic keyboard, but if I set it on the couch between my legs, would it hold up? I did that with the Smart Keyboard folio with decent success.

The more I look at it the more I’m thinking it may cover my needs well. I usually have the iPad off to the side while I work for personal stuff, then yank it off the magic keyboard to do handwritten note taking with the pencil. I’m kinda wondering if it’ll be able to replace the magic keyboard completely.

I've never really used it that way. When I use it on the couch or my recliner, I use a lap desk at that point. However, I don't think the kickstand would work as well as the Magic Keyboard in that case.

In my personal use, it's completely replaced the Magic Keyboard. The touchpad and the keys all have a great feel and the keyboard is easy to detach/re-attach. Be aware it does take up a bit more surface because of the kickstand.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 19, 2022

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Proteus Jones posted:

I've never really used it that way. When I use it on the couch or my recliner, I use a lap desk at that point. However, I don't think the kickstand would work as well as the Magic Keyboard in that case.

In my personal use, it's completely replaced the Magic Keyboard. The touchpad and the keys all have a great feel and the keyboard is easy to detach/re-attach. Be aware it does take up a bit more surface because of the kickstand.

Nice, thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered it and I'm excited to try it out. The option to flip the keyboard behind the iPad is a real seller for me. When I'm couching it up I like having the option to type when I'm doing something more involved but generally do my thing in portrait mode, which is an obvious drawback to the Magic Keyboard.

I sorta fall into a weird use category, or at least a non-specialized one, so something with a bit more flexibility is probably up my alley. I think the Combo Touch is going to be perfect for when I'm not at my desk, but also curious to see how it measures up against the Magic Keyboard when I'm using the iPad more as a laptop.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there not a way to check battery health on an iPad? Or do they not get throttled like the iPhones did?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you have a Mac or access to one, I’ve used this in the past to see how older iPad batteries were holding up

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you have a Mac or access to one, I’ve used this in the past to see how older iPad batteries were holding up

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Thanks for that, will have to check it out later. I think my iPad is broken.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

When it's plugged in like that do you see the charging battery icon, or does it say Not Charging? Any lint or gunk in the port? A lot of times those are Wall Wart-Cable-Port issues.

ipadOS could be hosed too, worth trying an iTunes/Finder restore and setting it up as new to check the charging before restoring a backup.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Saw that on my previous iPad once. Restarted and tried a different cable and it was fine since. And the old cable (which I thought maybe my friend’s cat messed with) still worked fine I think? Or maybe not I forget. But basically restart and try a different cable and charger.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My wife mentioned that she misses playing some childhood PS1 games so I thought I'd get an emulator installed on the iPad for this (portable etc). Any recommendations regarding emulator? I've got Altstore but am not jailbroken (and don't want to do it as I've got warranty).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

MrOnBicycle posted:

My wife mentioned that she misses playing some childhood PS1 games so I thought I'd get an emulator installed on the iPad for this (portable etc). Any recommendations regarding emulator? I've got Altstore but am not jailbroken (and don't want to do it as I've got warranty).
RetroArch (via AltStore) using the Beetle/Mednafen core is great for PS1 games. Make sure to hook up a Bluetooth controller though since playing with the touch screen is kind of a nuisance.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Question Mark Mound posted:

RetroArch (via AltStore) using the Beetle/Mednafen core is great for PS1 games. Make sure to hook up a Bluetooth controller though since playing with the touch screen is kind of a nuisance.

Excellent! Thanks! I'll try this. I've got PS5 controllers, so hopefully they'll play nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

MrOnBicycle posted:

Excellent! Thanks! I'll try this. I've got PS5 controllers, so hopefully they'll play nice.
It was handy for using to level grind when I replayed FF7 last year, with some messing around in Shortcuts to copy the save data to/from the device as needed.

Might have to see how well it emulates the Sega Saturn for some Policenauts now I think of it!