Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hate riding in the passenger seat now because I can see all the drivers texting in highway traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

:siren: BIDEN'S FREE COVID TESTS, SIGN UP Y'ALL :siren:

https://www.covidtests.gov/

It's possible the site isn't supposed to be up yet, as it's not loading on mobile, but it's fine on my computer. Already signed up all of my family and such.

Thanks for this, got some for my family and shot the link at a bunch of my friends.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Every time I go on the highway I am extremely happy to have a vehicle with radar cruise control. I use that poo poo constantly and it's both a metaphorical and sometimes literal lifesaver.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Forums current event: the Coupons & Deals subforum almost got its first confirmed kill in the gooniest possible way: via a SMOKIN' HOT DEAL on KFC-scented firelogs.

Lol that’s amazing. It’s wild how many people don’t know how carbon dioxide works. A few years ago in the Seattle area there was a major power outage/freezing temps, and the newspaper ran headlines above the fold in multiple languages warning people not to operate grills inside.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol that’s amazing. It’s wild how many people don’t know how carbon dioxide works. A few years ago in the Seattle area there was a major power outage/freezing temps, and the newspaper ran headlines above the fold in multiple languages warning people not to operate grills inside.

Especially after the winter storms of the past few years and you always hear about someone trying to do a generator in the house and it going very very very deadly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

Microsoft is as evil as any company but I don’t think they’ve poo poo the bed with video games yet.

That said Blizzard has been so bad for so long now that I don’t really see Microsoft saving it.

Blizzard, EA, Konami, and Bethesda (and I’m sure there are others) are in a certain category of unsalvageable.

CDPR is one more CP2077 away from maybe putting themselves there.

Bethesda is still making good games so I'll argue that's not a fair comparison. Blizzard on the other hand has largely abandoned their properties to just count the money they got from MMOs and online FPS games.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A lot of people died last year in the blizzard last year in Texas because of carbon dioxide/monoxide poisoning due to a combination of "it doesn't get that cold in Texas normally", "carbon monoxide detectors weren't standard in homes due to lobbying" and "most of the people who died were immigrants who haven't learned things like don't grill indoors because of carbon monoxide poisoning"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eej posted:

A lot of people died last year in the blizzard last year in Texas because of carbon dioxide/monoxide poisoning due to a combination of "it doesn't get that cold in Texas normally", "carbon monoxide detectors weren't standard in homes due to lobbying" and "most of the people who died were immigrants who haven't learned things like don't grill indoors because of carbon monoxide poisoning"

Not sure that the last one is unique or even more frequently attributed to immigrants, all other points agreed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

Not sure that the last one is unique or even more frequently attributed to immigrants, all other points agreed.

Yeah, if anything, immigrants probably know far more “hacks” for cold weather situations then anyone, and which ones not to do, because it kills you.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
mamma mia

https://twitter.com/thegamerwebsite/status/1483503364751171596?t=Zstcm5wCI_qoakdzDMf5Ag&s=19

Scroll down here if you really want a giggle at the video - looks like a rando got into the zoomroom and decided to inject some Tifa into the proceedings

https://twitter.com/FrancescoDonald/status/1483447868837044224?t=PzHcf9W6IuTiyVG_vbMedQ&s=19

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

mamma mia

https://twitter.com/thegamerwebsite/status/1483503364751171596?t=Zstcm5wCI_qoakdzDMf5Ag&s=19

Scroll down here if you really want a giggle at the video - looks like a rando got into the zoomroom and decided to inject some Tifa into the proceedings

https://twitter.com/FrancescoDonald/status/1483447868837044224?t=PzHcf9W6IuTiyVG_vbMedQ&s=19

Insert spicy meatball joke.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

That Works posted:

I remember reading about it in an article when it happened talking about how we all learn as kids not to leave cars running indoors but that messaging may have been lost on immigrants with English as a second language (or not at all)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Insert spicy meatball joke.

"Insert" you say?

https://twitter.com/scalzi/status/1483517676152668160

quote:

The unfortunate tale was published in the November issue of Urology Case Reports, though it only seems to have garnered media attention this week. According to the report, the 45-year-old man had been inserting various objects into his urethra for some time as an aid for erectile dysfunction. During one such occasion, he and his partner had decided to use a straw attached to a can of weatherproofing spray, when the partner “inadvertently pressed the button deploying the foam.” The foam then shot through his entire urethra, even filling up his bladder. The man waited three weeks before seeking medical attention at an emergency room, during which time he increasingly had difficulty urinating and urinating blood when he did.

When someone asks you to sound off, make sure you understand what they're saying.

OH MY GOD I JUST SCROLLED DOWN AND REALIZED THERE ARE PICTURES OF THE REMOVED FOAM

:barf:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:same:
:barf:

That said it kind of looks like hamburger meat.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It bears mentioning the absurdity of that speed in context of a public road.

That thing is traveling 120m or 400ft per second.

Braking distance on that thing from that speed is around 515m or 1700ft.

Add to that the reaction distance, and you're stopped (with brake discs brighter than the sun) after 2100ft and 11 seconds.

And that's the best-case scenario of you recognizing there may be an obstruction/obstacle/accident half a mile ahead of you.

Any scenario involving a necessitated emergency course correction (motorist leapfrogging someone in the middle lane or swerving into your lane, or you forced to switch lanes because of an obstruction less than half a mile ahead of you) and you are now a two point five ton out-of-control projectile doing 260 miles per hour.

If you're going 100 and an oncoming vehicle hits you with the same speed, that's still less of an impact velocity delta than that Chiron rear-ending you at the speed it's going.

Again, love me some Autobahn, but gently caress idiots in Supercars/hypercars benchmarking their toys there.

Here's a visualization of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HQWt5UwjsU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That Works posted:

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah, if anything, immigrants probably know far more “hacks” for cold weather situations then anyone, and which ones not to do, because it kills you.

Eej posted:

I remember reading about it in an article when it happened talking about how we all learn as kids not to leave cars running indoors but that messaging may have been lost on immigrants with English as a second language (or not at all)

I’m not sure why it was more common among non-English speakers, maybe in some countries houses have better ventilation? I found the article

quote:

Ever since the power failed Friday at the Green Leaf Apartments in Kenmore, neighbors said, Shah Fazli had cooked his meals outdoors on a small charcoal barbecue.

“He was cooking and boiling water for tea,” said Mohammad Naikyar, who, like Fazli, had come to the U.S. from Afghanistan.

The spot where Fazli, 73, tried to set up his small grill was not a very good place for a kitchen, just on the concrete entryway leading into his apartment in the King County Housing Authority units. It was partly sheltered by the eaves of the front door.

After three days of trying to cook outside in the cold, Fazli decided to seek some shelter and brought the grill inside.

The decision was fatal.

A relative found him unconscious about 9 a.m. Monday after he took the grill into a bedroom and closed the door, said Northshore Fire Department Deputy Chief Jim Torpin. Fazli was later pronounced dead at the apartment, Torpin said.

The King County Medical Examiner’s Office determined Tuesday that Fazli died from inhaling carbon monoxide.

He is the seventh person to die as a result of carbon-monoxide poisoning since last week’s windstorms.

More than 200 people have been sickened from carbon-monoxide poisoning or asphyxiated by fumes since Thursday night. At Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where scores have been treated, more than 90 percent did not speak English, prompting Public Health — Seattle & King County to issue warnings about the dangers of carbon-monoxide in several languages.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/7th-victim-of-fumes-afghan-immigrant-moved-grill-indoors/

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m not sure why it was more common among non-English speakers, maybe in some countries houses have better ventilation? I found the article

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/7th-victim-of-fumes-afghan-immigrant-moved-grill-indoors/

Oh were talking about Seattle, sorry I started thinking about Texas again and the cold freeze last year. That’s a pretty good source for your comment, so I’ll concede.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if you're gonna put fix-a-flat in your dick, well....

you belong in 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh were talking about Seattle, sorry I started thinking about Texas again and the cold freeze last year. That’s a pretty good source for your comment, so I’ll concede.

It happened in Texas too

quote:

A number of the poisonings were fatal. A mother and her 7-year-old daughter died while sitting in their running car in the garage attempting to stay warm and charge their cell phone. A woman died while attempting to heat her home with her natural gas stove. Four men and a woman died in two incidents from carbon monoxide emitted by a generator placed too close to their home. Among the nonfatal poisonings, carbon monoxide undoubtedly resulted in brain injury with permanent cognitive damage in many.

As shocking as these events may have been to many, they are nothing new. The risks of indoor use of charcoal for heat, improper generator use for electrical power, and running a car in the garage for heat and power in a storm-related power outage have all been well described in the medical literature and publicized. The sources of carbon monoxide and poisoning following storms have been reviewed and published. Despite these efforts to educate the public, the typical pattern continued in Texas.

Warning labels, including nonverbal pictograms to warn non-English speaking individuals, have been added to packages of charcoal sold in the U.S. and also to electrical generators. Some manufacturers of generators have developed models that produce lower amounts of carbon monoxide or shut off when ambient carbon monoxide levels rise to dangerous levels. However, short of a very expensive recall and retrofit of previously purchased models, older versions will be in use for many years.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Opinion-Poisoning-was-preventable-Pass-15997307.php

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well I’ll be a son of a gun. I never realized the problem was so widespread, perhaps it’s also under reported too, but yeah it makes sense that language barriers could be a source of a lot of issues.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Photos of Tonga emerging:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/127531141/theres-nothing-there-for-them-extent-of-tongas-devastation-emerges

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

The only person identified as a casualty so far is British woman Angela Glover, 50, the founder of an animal rescue shelter, who was washed away trying to save her dogs.

:smith:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

I don't know if I seriously believe in an afterlife, but I like to think about it because it makes things like this easier to handle. I like to imagine she's greeting dogs who passed now and doing more good things.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I don't know if I seriously believe in an afterlife, but I like to think about it because it makes things like this easier to handle. I like to imagine she's greeting dogs who passed now and doing more good things.

I’d imagine the Rainbow Bridge allows for the occasional human visitor, and I daresay she’s earned the honor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well I’ll be a son of a gun. I never realized the problem was so widespread, perhaps it’s also under reported too, but yeah it makes sense that language barriers could be a source of a lot of issues.

Same

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Forums current event: the Coupons & Deals subforum almost got its first confirmed kill in the gooniest possible way: via a SMOKIN' HOT DEAL on KFC-scented firelogs.

comment:

"suffocating to death in the sweet smelling arms of the Colonel himself. we could all be so lucky "

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Was that the guy also doing dried fruit on his rig?

Also let’s not forget the walk across America guy…who got like a mile or two. Haha

The Muerte Walks Across America thread was great

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

:siren: BIDEN'S FREE COVID TESTS, SIGN UP Y'ALL :siren:

https://www.covidtests.gov/

It's possible the site isn't supposed to be up yet, as it's not loading on mobile, but it's fine on my computer. Already signed up all of my family and such.

too late i popped poz yesterday :cool:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

STOP POSTING YOU'LL GIVE IT TO ALL OF US

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

STOP POZTING YOU'LL GIVE IT TO ALL OF US

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

think positive!

no not like that

(get well soon :unsmith: )

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zamujasa posted:

think positive!

no not like that

(get well soon :unsmith: )

It's been like a week damnit! It's very strange btw; I feel a different sort of lovely every single day

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/emirates/status/1483018675078709250?s=20

Anyone know the stall speed of an A380?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1483612693827182596?s=20

Jesus, I know Tucker is a white nationalist but come the gently caress on.

Also, I really enjoy any talk about how Eastern European countries joining NATO takes all agency out of them not wanting to deal with Russia alone and makes it just a nefarious American/Western plot to undermine Glorious Third Rome

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

He's been on this for months.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Tucker having a slight stopped clock moment in that if Mexico developed significant military relations with China - given our historic respect for Latin American self-determination :ironicat: - the USA would absolutely be loving with them.

Of course then the clock starts running again and he starts explaining why this is a good thing because strong masculine leader good and you do not in fact have to hand it to him.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Also, I really enjoy any talk about how Eastern European countries joining NATO takes all agency out of them not wanting to deal with Russia alone and makes it just a nefarious American/Western plot to undermine Glorious Third Rome

I mean, that is how Russia views this.

Tucker… seems to go a bit further with it though

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

The funny thing is that the banner there is probably true and more so a desirable outcome so seeing Fox of all people trying to undercut that is just :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The funny thing is that the banner there is probably true and more so a desirable outcome so seeing Fox of all people trying to undercut that is just :psyduck:

Putin is a white anti-gay authoritarian kleptocrat. He's living the GOP dream.