Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Ottoman ships purchased from British yards were actually straw purchases for the KM.

Somewhere in the Admiralty a monkey's paw curls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the modern German ships were pretty long legged and were good sea boats; the Koenigs had 8,000 nautical mile range at 12 knots, which is longer than either the QEs or the R classes. Crew accommodations were spartan but you just follow similar KM doctrine of berthing ashore.

That's a bit of a 'just' there, don't you think? That's precisely why I'm saying having them the other side of the Atlantic is a bit less of a concern. Powers that aren't called France or Britain don't generally have friendly 'ashores' all over the world. 8000 nautical miles at 12 knots is literally coming up on a month.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MikeCrotch posted:

Somewhere in the Admiralty a monkey's paw curls

the whole Goeben/Turkish Dreadnought Crisis thing was extremely hilarious in hindsight (and probably at the time too)

ChubbyChecker posted:

How many pounds did it cost to construct a battleship the size of Bayern or Derfflinger?

The QEs cost about three million pounds, but they were a bit experimental. The Iron Dukes cost about two million pounds, and were fairly similar in size and capability to the Koenigs. I am not entirely sure if that includes cost of guns but I think it likely does. All nations did fucky poo poo with their naval budgets.

I can probably dig up the exact tenders for the Koenigs (in 1911) if you want but it'll take some more doing. Once the war hits, costs get really wacky so the Bayerns don't have great data.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

feedmegin posted:

That's a bit of a 'just' there, don't you think? That's precisely why I'm saying having them the other side of the Atlantic is a bit less of a concern. Powers that aren't called France or Britain don't generally have friendly 'ashores' all over the world. 8000 nautical miles at 12 knots is literally coming up on a month.

the point is to control the sea in and around Brazil and the eastern coast of Africa, which is still very important to the British empire. you don't need to threaten the imperial homeland to be a tremendous inconvenience for your global imperial adversaries.

as an example, neither the Italians nor the Japanese had friendly ashore basis all over the world, and the British spent a lot of time and effort war planning and matching effort in theater.

edit: I don't think you realize how the RN thought about its obligations and commitments - it's a global force with global problems. it's intended to defend a far flung empire based on maritime trade, not to just defend the Home Islands (which it also has to do)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The QEs cost about three million pounds, but they were a bit experimental. The Iron Dukes cost about two million pounds, and were fairly similar in size and capability to the Koenigs. I am not entirely sure if that includes cost of guns but I think it likely does. All nations did fucky poo poo with their naval budgets.

I can probably dig up the exact tenders for the Koenigs (in 1911) if you want but it'll take some more doing. Once the war hits, costs get really wacky so the Bayerns don't have great data.

Thanks! No need to dig up the exact prices. So a company would make about a 2.5% profit of the ship's original value when scrapping her. I wonder how much the state got from selling it to the scrapyard?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the point is to control the sea in and around Brazil and the eastern coast of Africa, which is still very important to the British empire. you don't need to threaten the imperial homeland to be a tremendous inconvenience for your global imperial adversaries.

as an example, neither the Italians nor the Japanese had friendly ashore basis all over the world, and the British spent a lot of time and effort war planning and matching effort in theater.

edit: I don't think you realize how the RN thought about its obligations and commitments - it's a global force with global problems. it's intended to defend a far flung empire based on maritime trade, not to just defend the Home Islands (which it also has to do)

Sure. I'm not saying it's NO concern, of course it is (though note I'm also not suggesting that e.g. Brazil get flogged the entirety of the High Seas Fleet, either). I'm saying it's rather less of a possible existential threat than e.g. France getting its hands on a bunch of them (or as mentioned, yeah, Italy).

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the British (and other naval powers) were paranoid about straw purchasing of warships (they thought for a while that the South American dreadnought race was some kind of weird trick by An Unknown Power to acquire more dreadnoughts in secret)

Leading to one of my favourite Wiki paragraphs:

Wikipedia posted:

Various British papers speculated that either the Germans, Japanese, or Americans were actually buying the ships, while naval experts in Germany thought the Americans, British, or Japanese were going to take them over.[22][50][51][52] On the other side of the Atlantic, some American papers theorized that the ships would be sold to the United Kingdom, Germany, or Japan.[53][54][55]

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BalloonFish posted:

Leading to one of my favourite Wiki paragraphs:

haha

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

ChubbyChecker posted:

Cox and Danks Ltd is a drat fine name for a company.

But what do they sell?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Sure. I'm not saying it's NO concern, of course it is (though note I'm also not suggesting that e.g. Brazil get flogged the entirety of the High Seas Fleet, either). I'm saying it's rather less of a possible existential threat than e.g. France getting its hands on a bunch of them (or as mentioned, yeah, Italy).

For sure, the worst case (and probably most likely!) scenario for RN planners is that the French get a good chunk of the fleet. Though really, nothing that could possibly happen with disposal High Seas Fleet would pose a truly existential threat to the British Empire. There are threats short of existential that are still bad and worth mitigating, though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Comstar posted:

What were Russian ships doing with an IJN flag on board?

Surly someone's written Napoleon in South America or Napoleon in North America. Maybe he convinces congress he can take Canadia this time! It's not like Europe would really care, and the UK can't really spend money on allies this time. I guess Wellington can form an army to deploy to Mexico and have even MORE fun with Spanish Speaking Allies. Wellington goes on to release the slaves in the South?

Someone send Harry Turtledove a tweet please. I want to read that book.

Speaking of alternative histories, last night I watched Hallmark's "The court-martial of George Armstrong Custer," which was made in the mid 70s and based on an alternative history novel where Custer survives the Little Big Horn and is court martialed. The movie seems to think that criticism of Custer is just scapegoating to shift the blame and gives him a pass because none of those in judgement were there and could understand that circumstances that led him to the battle.

At the end of the movie he is found not guilty and given the Medal of Honor.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Also it was assumed to take two years to gear up manufacturing and produce the war material necessary to defeat Germany on the ground, as well as train up the divisions that would do the work.

By 1938 it is the correct war plan because it is the only viable option. I disagree that planners were complacent about the fall of Poland, plently of contemporary accounts from British and French army officers make it plain that they know they aren't 'fighting fit' and the Germans are and that this is a massive problem for them. You probably have to go all the way back to 1933 and have Britain/France match German rearmament step-for-step for a different plan to make sense.

IIRC Jodl said that during the invasion of Poland the Germans had very few divisions on the west and that if the French had attacked they would have won. Was that a load of bull?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

VostokProgram posted:

IIRC Jodl said that during the invasion of Poland the Germans had very few divisions on the west and that if the French had attacked they would have won. Was that a load of bull?

French had many divisions on paper, but they were still mobilizing and also lacked the equipment they should have had.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Probably not, but there was absolutely no political will for an offensive drive into Germany and the casualties they assumed it would entail. The French seizing the left bank of the Rhine and carting off all the industrial goods they could find would have been an absolutely devastating blow to Germany, but it's gonna take a Gay Black Daladier to make it happen.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

PeterCat posted:

Speaking of alternative histories, last night I watched Hallmark's "The court-martial of George Armstrong Custer," which was made in the mid 70s and based on an alternative history novel where Custer survives the Little Big Horn and is court martialed. The movie seems to think that criticism of Custer is just scapegoating to shift the blame and gives him a pass because none of those in judgement were there and could understand that circumstances that led him to the battle.

At the end of the movie he is found not guilty and given the Medal of Honor.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's extremely weird to me that anyone would look at Custer and think "yeah, there's a guy to glorify."

I read the book The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick and one quote that stands out to me is Custer stating that "Indian women rape easy," referring to native women the Cavalry had captured.

I can't find the clip online, but Calamity Jane on Deadwood summed it up. "Custer was a oval office, the end."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does abandoning ship automatically imply surrender, or do the lifeboats need to go on to surrender?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Wildcat... wild... cat...

I'm gonna go.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

The Lone Badger posted:

Does abandoning ship automatically imply surrender, or do the lifeboats need to go on to surrender?

No you can still resist but it's just suicide at that point. You're within your rights to pull out a pistol and shoot at the destroyer offering rescue.

Likewise, while I'm pretty sure the laws of the sea (don't ask which ones lol) clearly state you have to pick up survivors, that's been violated all over the place many many times either passing them by or machine gunning. If your ship is sunk you're pretty lucky to get offered rescue at all by anyone, period.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PeterCat posted:

It's extremely weird to me that anyone would look at Custer and think "yeah, there's a guy to glorify."

I read the book The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick and one quote that stands out to me is Custer stating that "Indian women rape easy," referring to native women the Cavalry had captured.

I can't find the clip online, but Calamity Jane on Deadwood summed it up. "Custer was a oval office, the end."

Glorifying custer goes back to before he was dead. He was a young, dashing general who the papers liked to cover for basically those reasons, then he goes and gets himself killed and overnight becomes a tragic martyr, a young man cut down in his prime in a glorious last stand against waves of <insert 19th century racist bullshit here>.

Plus any unseemly poo poo that did make it into the general public discourse was quietly pushed under the rug as soon as it was easier to sell papers with poo poo like this:

That's basically an 1870s version of eagles crying over the twin towers.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, I need some of this thread's opinions.

At my college, we have a really neat professor who is a former IDF Officer, Iraqi-jew from Baghdad, and extremely accomplished on the field of diversity and inclusion in the jewish world, and a big israeli state critic and a scholar of all the different ways the state of Israel has been poo poo.
So, this kind of gives him jew-cred and progressive-cred.

...anyway I was in his zoom lecture about the Myth of the Clean Wehrmacht, as he also does cross-studies with the history department and he went on a bit of a tangent that struck me as weird. Namely, he discussed how significant parts of the Luftwaffe were actually "clean" as we understand in the war history sense. He discussed the proper treatment of black aviator prisoners at Stalag Lufts, the lack of participation in many einsatsgruppen activities, and pointed out critics such as Hans-Joachim Marseille. To specify this, he did emphasize that this is one the flying squadron and wing level, and not the same as on the organizational side of the big luftwaffe. He also pointed out a war criminal Alexander Andrae and the Crete war crimes, and Reich Air Ministry.

What gives? Is this a matter of "can't strafe jews with a Bf-109"? Is there some credit to this? It's not like I consider Göring to be some super cool guy in any way.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 18, 2022

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Uncle Enzo posted:

No you can still resist but it's just suicide at that point. You're within your rights to pull out a pistol and shoot at the destroyer offering rescue.

Likewise, while I'm pretty sure the laws of the sea (don't ask which ones lol) clearly state you have to pick up survivors, that's been violated all over the place many many times either passing them by or machine gunning. If your ship is sunk you're pretty lucky to get offered rescue at all by anyone, period.

In this same vein, that ice-strengthened cruiser that the Venezuelan patrol boat rammed, were they obliged to hang around and pick up the crew who had just embarked in lifeboats? Considering their nature as a civilian tourism ship, I can't imagine they had any significant arms on board, and considering the belligerence of the Venezuelans at the time, wouldn't picking them up be basically inviting a hostile, armed force onto your ship to be hijacked?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vahakyla posted:

At my college, we have a really neat professor who is a former IDF Officer, Iraqi-jew from Baghdad, and extremely accomplished on the field of diversity and inclusion in the jewish world, and a big israeli state critic and a scholar of all the different ways the state of Israel has been poo poo.

...anyway I was in his zoom lecture about the Myth of the Clean Wehrmacht, as he also does cross-studies with the history department and he went on a bit of a tangent that struck me as weird. Namely, he discussed how significant parts of the Luftwaffe were actually "clean" as we understand in the war history sense. He discussed the proper treatment of black aviator prisoners at Stalag Lufts, the lack of participation in many einsatsgruppen activities, and pointed out critics such as Hans-Joachim Marseille. To specify this, he did emphasize that this is one the flying squadron and wing level, and not the same as on the organizational side of the big luftwaffe. He also pointed out a war criminal Alexander Andrae and the Crete war crimes, and Reich Air Ministry.

What gives? Is this a matter of "can't strafe jews with a Bf-109"? Is there some credit to this? It's not like I consider Göring to be some super cool guy in any way.

That does sound weird. I'm not an expert on the topic so I'm not going to comment, but I will link this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn883wEyqZU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Memento posted:

In this same vein, that ice-strengthened cruiser that the Venezuelan patrol boat rammed, were they obliged to hang around and pick up the crew who had just embarked in lifeboats? Considering their nature as a civilian tourism ship, I can't imagine they had any significant arms on board, and considering the belligerence of the Venezuelans at the time, wouldn't picking them up be basically inviting a hostile, armed force onto your ship to be hijacked?

From what I remember reading of the incident, the Resolute actually stayed on station for about an hour to render assistance until they were ordered away by the nearest JRCC (which a brief Googling says was Curacao but I can't confirm that). According to a translation of the Portuguese investigation report, the Venezuelan Navy crew had only just started boarding lifeboats when the Resolute was ordered away, specifically to avoid any such problems with the crew.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Vahakyla posted:

Not a historian, just some rear end in a top hat :

1) What are they a professor of?

2) Are you 100% sure you got all the nuance from what they were saying into the above post? I’m not trying to be lovely, but I’m right off the bat worried about this turning into a cross-discipline game of telephone. I don’t know this cat from Adam, but I’ve seen sooooo many instances of Scholar X makes perfectly reasonable point, Scholar Y hears X’s ideas summarized by a well-meaning source but information is lost, X and Y start disagreeing because of miscommunication.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not a historian, just some rear end in a top hat :

1) What are they a professor of?

2) Are you 100% sure you got all the nuance from what they were saying into the above post? I’m not trying to be lovely, but I’m right off the bat worried about this turning into a cross-discipline game of telephone. I don’t know this cat from Adam, but I’ve seen sooooo many instances of Scholar X makes perfectly reasonable point, Scholar Y hears X’s ideas summarized by a well-meaning source but information is lost, X and Y start disagreeing because of miscommunication.

Okay, very fair. Director of Jewish studies, and a professor of Middle Eastern Studies. His research is mainly Sephardic and Mizrahi jews, and of the jewish refugees and early Israel. It's a weird interdisciplinary field with history and sociology and what not.
I am not summarizing what he spoke off very well, nor what the other history professors were discussing.
I want to stress that I absolutely adore this professor and his education and teaching style and all. I'm a big fan of his, and I am perhaps not doing him justice with my post.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's lots to be said about Goering, but fundamentally: there are just not so many opportunities to warcrime in the navy or air force of any belligerent. Sure, there are some opportunities for individual warcrimes like strafing a guy in a parachute or shooting dudes in lifeboats or whatever, but you just do not have the opportunity for sheer volume of warcrimes that you get as a ground pounder. If an infantryman wants to commit war crimes he can do it at his leisure! There are so many opportunties!

This discussion also kind of sets aside the question as to whether a good portion of the raison d'etre of a WWII airforce (bomb the gently caress out of your enemy's civilian population) is inherently a warcrime or not.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Glorifying custer goes back to before he was dead. He was a young, dashing general who the papers liked to cover for basically those reasons, then he goes and gets himself killed and overnight becomes a tragic martyr, a young man cut down in his prime in a glorious last stand against waves of <insert 19th century racist bullshit here>.

Plus any unseemly poo poo that did make it into the general public discourse was quietly pushed under the rug as soon as it was easier to sell papers with poo poo like this:

That's basically an 1870s version of eagles crying over the twin towers.

What gets me is how long this persists. You have Errol Flynn portraying Custer as a misunderstood genius in the 1940s, and the above novel in the 1970s trying to exonerate him in an alternate history way.

I suppose it illustrates how close the 19th century was to modern history. For people in the 40s-60s you had people who had lived through it or were the children/grandchildren of people who lived through it and are still repeating the same myths.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I think my question would be, how did the Luftwaffe treat Soviet aviators they imprisoned?

Edit: the other thing, especially based on some experiences my wife has had over here - a black American might be thought of as an American first and black second by all but the most die hard Nazis (in a way that might not be true for eg 'uncivilised' French Algerian troops). Nazis' main concern wasn't black people (yet, anyway), it was Jews and Bolsheviks, those two being practically synonymous. Hence why I suspect my question might be a better barometer for how lovely the Luftwaffe were.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 19, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’ll also note that a lot of the luftwaffe fliers were die hard true believers. It was a prestige service and you had to be on board with the program to get into a cockpit. If someone wants to tell me that great grandpa Hans who was a mechanic and fuel pumper was an OK guy who never liked that funny mustache guy I’ll kinda shrug and say whatever, but great grandpa Oberleutnant Willi who got a few kills over Russia and then ended up a POW in N. Africa might have never personally marched anyone off to a camp but he sure as poo poo was towing the party line.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ll also note that a lot of the luftwaffe fliers were die hard true believers. It was a prestige service and you had to be on board with the program to get into a cockpit. If someone wants to tell me that great grandpa Hans who was a mechanic and fuel pumper was an OK guy who never liked that funny mustache guy I’ll kinda shrug and say whatever, but great grandpa Oberleutnant Willi who got a few kills over Russia and then ended up a POW in N. Africa might have never personally marched anyone off to a camp but he sure as poo poo was towing the party line.

In terms of war crimes, yeah, there were people who were true believers who committed no war crimes, and there were anti-nazis who committed plenty of them in service of a regime they didn't care for.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh, another reason why fliers had to be politically dependable - it's really loving easy to defect in an airplane, at least compared to someone who's sitting in a foxhole or shining brass on a cruiser.

This is also broadly true for other totalitarian regimes. The combination of prestige service with the ability to just say "gently caress you all, I'm flying to England (or wherever)" means they really need to select for people who are invested in the system.

It doesn't always work, of course. Plenty of stories of defectors during the Cold War to attest to that. But still, the general rule holds that the airforce is one of the branches that is going to be the most regime loyal.

edit: airforces are also really useful for putting down or carrying out coups, so there's that too. See: Allende.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is also broadly true for other totalitarian regimes. The combination of prestige service with the ability to just say "gently caress you all, I'm flying to England (or wherever)" means they really need to select for people who are invested in the system.

And even then sometimes your deputy Fuhrer will gently caress right off and do just that.

And count me among those not impressed that some luftwaffe didn’t brutalize their black American pows. I have no idea really and even less so any evidentiary claims to back it up, but it always seemed like the volkish fatalism of general nazi ideology and imperialistic ambitions in Africa and the southern Western Hemisphere meant that at least some of them must’ve seen some utility in the development of a compardor class of black colonial agents… something something “better suited to tropical climates” and all that. It doesn’t seem like annihilating every Black African/American on earth was one of their short-term goals at least. I think Eva Braun even low-key liked jazz.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

Okay, very fair. Director of Jewish studies, and a professor of Middle Eastern Studies. His research is mainly Sephardic and Mizrahi jews, and of the jewish refugees and early Israel. It's a weird interdisciplinary field with history and sociology and what not.

To come back around to the original question, my $.02 without knowing this guy at all is that this is the sort of opinion that is really easy to come around to by thinking about a subject without really studying it. Pretty much every discipline you can name has poo poo like that, things that once you've learned a few things seem intuitively like they make sense but end up running really contrary to what the people who have dug into the topic for their whole lives have settled on. Basically the sort of stuff that gets criticized as pop-sci, pop-history etc.

Note that academics are far from immune to doing this in areas that aren't their own. You're talking about intelligent people who have analytical minds and who are used to thinking they can puzzle out some pretty complicated poo poo, but who then kind of forget that the stuff they really do know is the result of decades of immersing themselves in it. I've heard some loving real poo poo hot takes from historians on all manner of non-history subjects, and conversely there are a ton of NOTORIOUSLY poo poo takes on history out there from political scientists, various "hard" scientists, and oh my god the economists.

"The Luftwaffe wasn't hands-on with rounding up Jews and everyone knows Goering liked treating POW aircrews well so there just wasn't the opportunity to war crime" is one of those things that makes intuitive sense if you know a bit about WW2 and Germany but haven't really dug into the nitty gritty of the regime and what the Luftwaffe's role in it was.

I'm sure he's an amazing professor and is likely a bona fide expert on all his stuff. When it comes to discussing stuff like the Arab-Israeli war or policies re: Palestinians I'm sure he's got deep, nuanced, and complex views that blow whatever I'd fire off from the hip out of the water. I'd even wager when it comes to the Jewish experience of the Holocaust and what the survivors went through in the post war that he would be equally masterful. But from what you've written, it looks like when it comes to discussing the perpetrators he's out of his depth and doing that thing that academics are unfortunately prone to where he's speaking authoritatively about a subject that he doesn't really have deep mastery of and put his foot in it.

In short: It's a bad hot take, albeit one not coming from a place of malice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's a semi-famous infographic about knowledge and PhDs:

Just remember: any time you hear someone with a PhD talking about a topic that is specifically the thing they specialize in, you should probably pay attention. If they're talking about their field, you should probably still pay attention. If they're talking about their subject, I mean better than some random layperson but someone with a PhD in modern German history isn't really who you should be talking to for expert level takes on Ancient Rome. If it's a related field? Like a French historian talking about French philosophy? Eh, probably better than an undergrad.

If it's in a completely unrelated field (say a historian talking about biology or a chemist talking about music theory)? They're just some random person at that point, take it with as much weight as you'd give to any college graduate.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 19, 2022

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A friend of mine gets that sometimes, and then realises what she's doing and apologises. If I ever need to track migratory movements in Early Dynastic Period Egypt using midden remnants and potsherds, however, I will absolutely defer to her wisdom.

She got her PhD Egyptology, then wrote a book about it, then went back to university to teach the next generation of Egyptologists. I told her it kinda sounds like a pyramid scheme.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I was reading this article:
https://bowvsmusket.com/2021/10/22/prices-of-weapons-in-early-16th-c-holland/
And I am wondering how is this possible? 100 longbow costs the same as 100 arrows at 14 S (about 3.5 days wage). Can 4 Bowyers make a 100 bows a day? Maybe bow is a lot faster to make than I imagine. The author is skeptical, so I am guessing maybe these might be war surplus from other campaign or they got a subsidy.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 19, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memento posted:

She got her PhD Egyptology, then wrote a book about it, then went back to university to teach the next generation of Egyptologists. I told her it kinda sounds like a pyramid scheme.

Well it would be, wouldn't it? What with it being Egypt and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I just watched Standard Operating Procedure, which is the Errol Morris documentary about Abu Ghraib. I'm not sure what's worse, people torturing prisoners because the torturers are ideologically motivated, or because the torturers are your average semi-rural American dumbasses who didn't think too deeply about what they were doing. I do think the people convicted were made scapegoats, but I also think the people who were convicted deserved it.

Basically you had an Army Reserve MP unit mistreating Iraqi prisoner, ostensibly because they were directed to do so by the MI and other folks, but also because one of the SPCs was a sadistic corrections officer who was given carte blanche to abuse prisoners due to the circumstances at Abu Ghraib.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Graner#Prison_guard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand...blic%20scandal.