Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Dungeon Ecology posted:

it would probably be incredibly difficult to even be understood if you were a medieval knight shunted forward in time 1000 years

That's how everyone sounds to Joe Rogan, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
yall it's clearly a joke

that person just wants a free suit of armor, no sensible person wants to go near Joe Rogan. he'll take the plate mail and clank off into the sunset, never to be seen again, and his foolish benefactor will curse his name unto the dying of the sun

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This conversation is making me rethink my time travel plans, thanks all

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dachshundofdoom posted:

That's how everyone sounds to Joe Rogan, though.

Fie! Yon vaccine gaveth me autisme!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Chloe Jessica posted:

*offer may not be valid for computer touchers whose entire expertise is in a programming language that doesn't exist yet

There are a lot of very cocky coders itt who would burn out of 00s tech when they find out they don't have terabytes of libraries and frameworks, stack exchange, and users (much less workstations) with 8-core CPUs and 16 gigs of ram to run their burp and fart piano apps.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

theflyingexecutive posted:

There are a lot of very cocky coders itt who would burn out of 00s tech when they find out they don't have terabytes of libraries and frameworks, stack exchange, and users (much less workstations) with 8-core CPUs and 16 gigs of ram to run their burp and fart piano apps.

Fart soundboards are one of the earliest modern web techs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Use the vast amounts of time travel riches to invite cheney and saddam to a discussion with the top bank and oil CEOs, and hold it in the twin towers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

projecthalaxy posted:

My favorite part, as a spectrum kid with speech issues especially back then would be convincing either a bookie/stockbroker/whatever or some sort of adult straw gambler that I was from the future and had various moonshots to bet on because of it without coming off as a stupid imagination land boy because im 6

have you ever read JR

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://twitter.com/garfield/status/1483472003302625284?s=21

Wow a 10 year old meme, Garfield is almost getting relevant

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
*16 year old meme

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Memento posted:

*16 year old meme

Long or not, that cat is surely dead by now

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

theflyingexecutive posted:

Something like this was the plot for a twilight zone episode. Some rich rear end in a top hat goes back in time to get richer / gently caress over his rival by buying a field with oil underneath it from him for cheap but forgets the technology to drill for it is like 80 years off. He goes out of his mind trying to explain future technology to people who don't even know what an engine is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Am I the only one that realizes that if I went back to 6 years old, I would be a child prodigy? Graduate high school by the age of 12 and study university courses that you already know the future of so you'd be a leader in the field. Even if you're not that bright, knowing generalities of what happens in the future is a huge advantage.
I was a child prodigy and, trust me and a lot of other goons, it has nothing to do with being a successful adult. Furthermore, a lot of the people who graduate from college young wind up with severe adjustment problems because they spent their early teenage years around young adults.

A lot of the stuff I know now, I don't know in enough detail to be a savant at age 6. Like, having once known how to prove Gödel's incompleteness theorem is not the same as having any useful grasp of it if current-me is transplanted as 6-year-old me. The life lessons that would be useful (and wouldn't made me rich or famous) would be: realizing that I really had to do rote memorization to study German; realizing that when the professor told me to drop from honors chemistry to regular chemistry I should do it; and understanding Boolean logic before I went to college. But most of the stuff I know now I know because of bad and good experiences, and having that knowledge without having had the experiences wouldn't really work.

Seriously, think about how you feel about hanging around with teenagers now you're an adult. Now imagine being a six-year-old and having to hang around six-year-olds, having been an adult. What are you going to talk to them about?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Seriously, think about how you feel about hanging around with teenagers now you're an adult. Now imagine being a six-year-old and having to hang around six-year-olds, having been an adult. What are you going to talk to them about?

Video games, just like I do now

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
the real problem is that if you got laid as a teenager you have to turn that down this time around because you're actually 40 and it would be pedophilia

fortunately for me i didn't get laid in high school

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://twitter.com/Kerria/status/1429117444803674114?s=20

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/JaneOst_/status/1483287495198584834

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chloe Jessica posted:

the real problem is that if you got laid as a teenager you have to turn that down this time around because you're actually 40 and it would be pedophilia

fortunately for me i didn't get laid in high school

The most ethical candidate

I've never been more embarrassed to be an american and folks, that is saying a lot

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Chloe Jessica posted:

there are people who graduate college before they're 18 who don't have the benefit of a lifetime of adult knowledge

sit down with your parents and talk to them about logarithms or the literary themes of War and Peace or whatever your specialty is* and you'll probably get somewhere

*offer may not be valid for computer touchers whose entire expertise is in a programming language that doesn't exist yet

Ah, but you can finally get that job that requires 10 years of Rails experience being advertised only 4 years after it came out

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

BattleBibTM

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Piell posted:

Ah, but you can finally get that job that requires 10 years of Rails experience being advertised only 4 years after it came out

Lots of jobs in the 80s required experience with rails.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/nessathewriter/status/1483568887077941248

Apparently this has been quite a day.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wait what happened to crypto.com? A friend and I were trying to remember which NBA arena they paid naming rights for the other day and I think it'd be hilarious if they're just completely hosed now.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Inspector 34 posted:

Wait what happened to crypto.com? A friend and I were trying to remember which NBA arena they paid naming rights for the other day and I think it'd be hilarious if they're just completely hosed now.

Staples Center, aka the home of the Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector 34 posted:

they got hacked or something, at least $15 million in ETH went walking

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Memento posted:

Emphasis on the 'or something'. "We've been hacked" is the favourite way for an exchange to exit-scam.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Y’all talking about going back in time to stop 9/11 and I just want to be able to hug my dad again.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Everyone has all these plans to use future knowlege to become rich or whatever but you're a coward if you're not straight up New Game+ ing your life, just pick a pivotal choice and do something else, let the wild ride take you.

Also;

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Y’all talking about going back in time to stop 9/11 and I just want to be able to hug my dad again.

Yeah :smith:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Imagine if you picked the "respawn at age 6" choice and then your parents end up not divorcing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Memento posted:

Oh ok, so they didn't "lose all their money" then. That's unfortunate.

I actually googled this for myself for once and it looks like they spent $700m for naming rights to the arena for the next 20 years. $15m will not matter, at all, to the individual bank accounts of those higher up at crypto.com. Sad.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I've been thinking about the exact same thing since this came up. Solidarity

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Well, I was gonna take the 10 million and buy 1 billion penny candies, but you've convinced me. I'll go back to age 6 and hug PringleCreamEgg's dad.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

There's so much that I would have done differently with the knowledge that I have now that I actually don't want to because it would feel like too much pressure to get it right.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Huzzah! posted:

Well, I was gonna take the 10 million and buy 1 billion penny candies, but you've convinced me. I'll go back to age 6 and hug PringleCreamEgg's dad.

Ah, but how will you ever find him with your lack of internet and agency and such?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Anticheese posted:

+1 to that.

PYF Tweets: go back in time to hug your dead dad

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Since time immemorial, all of humankind has shared a singular dream: to drink a warm beverage from the head of a dog. Alas, such knowledge is fleeting and must be discovered anew by each generation. But throughout history there exist a lucky few who have known this sublime joy.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Anticheese posted:

Whereas I've been thinking gently caress, if I went back in time my dad would be alive. He's a much better person as a memory where I can focus on the good parts and not deal with the bullshit.

In conclusion, dads are a land of contrasts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh ok, so they didn't "lose all their money" then. That's unfortunate.

I actually googled this for myself for once and it looks like they spent $700m for naming rights to the arena for the next 20 years. $15m will not matter, at all, to the individual bank accounts of those higher up at crypto.com. Sad.

No, but 'we got hacked and lost millions of dollars' is pretty much the worst thing you could have happen to you if your whole thing is speculative digital currency transactions. That's like IKEA announcing that their furniture has been melting recently.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I also want to hug this guy's dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone wanna hug my dad?