Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yup shockingly axles with no weight over them can't grip very well. Who knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CommieGIR posted:

Yup shockingly axles with no weight over them can't grip very well. Who knew.

I mean, it's not super surprising, but the unladen back end of a semi truck still isn't exactly light either.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The original video with the truck owner ragging on the loader operator is incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSbQGtl0ODI

Nice, never saw the original.

Have some windows.
https://i.imgur.com/xYtAds0.mp4

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cat Hatter posted:

I mean, it's not super surprising, but the unladen back end of a semi truck still isn't exactly light either.

https://tortslaw.com/blog/bobtail-truck/

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

No poo poo, but "less traction than a fully loaded semi truck" includes a lot of area before you get to "less traction than a small-ish SUV".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Gotta post the chaos that was the 1906 pre-earthquake San Francisco streets, although apparently this video was partially staged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_1AdYRGW8

edit: this was all gone four days later

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That's a really cool video. proclick!

These AI upscales/improvements to historical films tend to make historians really testy, because -- like all "AI" systems -- they tend to get things wrong, but people take their output as the truth.

For instance, AI colorization systems have a strong tendency to give everyone blue pants, because blue pants are highly represented in the training datasets. However, people walking down the street in 1895 Paris or whatever were not wearing blue jeans. Even in San Francisco, the home of Levi Strauss, people in 1906 weren't wearing them around everywhere. This video seems to have avoided that particular pitfall, but who knows what other ones might be lurking. Are any of the colors accurate? Who knows!

Upscaling is a bit less controversial than colorization, but it does still create data where there was none, and that's a problem for historical accuracy.

Frame interpolation is probably the least offensive, since it's just enhancing an illusion that already exists, but I'm sure some historians have a problem with it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sagebrush posted:

Frame interpolation is probably the least offensive, since it's just enhancing an illusion that already exists, but I'm sure some historians have a problem with it.

I can imagine it being a problem when it's reencoded to be shared on twitter or as gifs, when it's once again forced back to the original framerate but with only the "fake" frames, rather than the originals.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Salvador Dahli Dream House build looking good.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The original video with the truck owner ragging on the loader operator is incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSbQGtl0ODI

I still want to know what that jackoff's plan for unloading it was if it hadn't been an instant fatality

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

I still want to know what that jackoff's plan for unloading it was if it hadn't been an instant fatality

Slam it in reverse and brake suddenly to launch it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

That thing would go though that Ranger like it was butter in a frontal crash.... if the truck was able to get to any significant speed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Gotta post the chaos that was the 1906 pre-earthquake San Francisco streets, although apparently this video was partially staged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_1AdYRGW8

edit: this was all gone four days later

But what was California's best beer? WHAT WAS THE BEER?

EDIT: Turns out it was John Wieland's Extra Pale Lager.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 19, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhrDYKEP3U

Summary:

quote:

Ring Racer, stylized as Ring°racer, is a Formula One-themed roller coaster which was due to open on August 15, 2009 at the Nürburgring race course.

It was originally planned to accelerate from 0 to 217 kilometres per hour (135 mph) in 2.5 seconds parallel to the grand prix track. However, two defects in the launch system delayed its opening until 2013.

On 3 September 2009, engineers attempted to raise the ride to its full and intended speed as it had been testing at a lower power, however this caused a series of explosions in the pneumatic system and caused injuries to seven people, and shattered multiple windows in the nearby buildings.

Eventually it opened at a max speed of 99 MPH.

And closed 4 days later.

quote:

Opening date 31 October 2013
Closing date 4 November 2013

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gbut posted:

That thing would go though that Ranger like it was butter in a frontal crash.... if the truck was able to get to any significant speed.

I carried 1000lbs of bagged gravel a couple miles in a diesel Rabbit Mk1 once and think I had it up to 25MPH before I hit the halfway point of the trip and had to start braking.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 19, 2022

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Flyinglemur posted:

Not to mention all of the airplanes from the various air stations and Air Force bases in the region.

Props to Wright-Patterson AFB (no pun intended) for putting up with an absolute assload of E-2's and C-2's during a hurricane a few years ago.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Props to Wright-Patterson AFB (no pun intended) for putting up with an absolute assload of E-2's and C-2's during a hurricane a few years ago.

Dayton: a fate worse than a hurricane.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

Drydock tales

Oh that leak? Don't worry, it'll stop once the system is warmed up/you're out to sea/no longer able to hold me responsible.

Yeah, I've heard that one before. Never trust the drydock workers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

That's the rest of the set

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Syrian Lannister posted:

That's the rest of the set

Chuds are always making Dems look cooler than they really are

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah to be true to life, Biden should be throwing the hammer on the scrap heap or something of that nature.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8erCVcD8KM
:catstare:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm the guy pulling the OG Prometheus maneuver at the end there, holy poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If he ran perpendicular to the direction the plane is sliding -- i.e. towards the camera -- he would get decapitated by the plane's left wing.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I don't mind jaywalkers as long as they pay attention. If they're quick and heads up, no worries. I just hate the people that just wander aimlessly into traffic with their head down while carrying their omnipresent plastic bag from a store that's no-where near where they are walking. Always with ear buds in so they're functionally deaf.

Just look where you're going. Don't make me stop for you. Keep your eyes open and be fast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This may be a thread record right here

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Please tell me that they are explosively forming it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

These stories are great, please keep them coming if you have any more!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The streets used to be for everyone including horses, and people were trampled by horses and run over by carriages all the drat time. Plus dead horses and horse dung lying all over the streets, because the owner sure wasn't going to pay to remove either.

I mean yeah horses shouldn't be allowed on the streets, either.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Humans and human poo poo only please.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mostlygray posted:

I don't mind jaywalkers as long as they pay attention. If they're quick and heads up, no worries. I just hate the people that just wander aimlessly into traffic with their head down while carrying their omnipresent plastic bag from a store that's no-where near where they are walking. Always with ear buds in so they're functionally deaf.

Just look where you're going. Don't make me stop for you. Keep your eyes open and be fast.
I work with omnidirectional wheeled solid metal carts roughly the surface area of a car and at least half a ton that can and often do roll in random directions regardless of how I'm trying to steer them. these bulk cart fuckers(without the tvs on them):

the amount of people who try to scooch by as it's clearly swinging in a way I'm not intending it to or about to collide with something and nearly getting kneecapped by it is constant every day. and I'd probably get blamed if they got hosed up by it, despite them adamantly not waiting for me to go by and trying to cut through a 20-inch-wide gap or smaller frequently

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/gigaj0ule/status/1483840249084080131

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I always wondered what those holes were for. Mystery solved.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mymla posted:

I mean yeah horses shouldn't be allowed on the streets, either.

On the other hand, fresh horse meat just layin' around.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Bugsy posted:

Nice, never saw the original.

Have some windows.
https://i.imgur.com/xYtAds0.mp4

This is either the most Canadian accent or the most midwestern accent ive ever heard.

* whats the difference! Ba dum pish

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I work with omnidirectional wheeled solid metal carts roughly the surface area of a car and at least half a ton that can and often do roll in random directions regardless of how I'm trying to steer them. these bulk cart fuckers(without the tvs on them):

the amount of people who try to scooch by as it's clearly swinging in a way I'm not intending it to or about to collide with something and nearly getting kneecapped by it is constant every day. and I'd probably get blamed if they got hosed up by it, despite them adamantly not waiting for me to go by and trying to cut through a 20-inch-wide gap or smaller frequently

It's even more fun when someone tries sneaking between the moving cars of a bulk train as it rolls through a congested area of the hub.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Scratch Monkey posted:

I always wondered what those holes were for. Mystery solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNXMAflbU8

TLDW: they're probably for aligning the prongs when molding the plug around them

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Cargo cult holes

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I thought they were for spring detents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I thought they were for spring detents.

So did I, but nope. That video goes into explaining how that's not the use for them.