Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Madkal posted:

Finished my re-read of The Question trades and I briefly remembered the ending but forgot what a downer the last two issues are, where things are really really really falling apart for Hub City. The trades don't collect the quarterlies or anything after the run so I went on wiki to see what happened to the characters. Looks like the decided to amp up the depression even more. One thing I didn't see on the wiki though is what happened to Myra after she decided to stay in Hub City and what happened to Hub City itself after the last issue. Is there any follow up on what happened to Myra? I assume only bad things because that is what the comic is like. Also has Hub City appeared anywhere in the last 20 years?

From memory, when I read it the Questions next appearance after the Quarterlies it was in like a cross-over with Azreal or in a Detective Comics issue. They pretty much don't mention any of what happened in the end and imply he is still in touch with Aristotle, Myra and Jackie guess she didn't really die after all.

From memory the Question then shows up in L.A.W! Living Assualt Weapons, a mini series about all the Charleton Heroes stepping up when the JLA are stuck in a magic spell.
In the Question issue Vic is walking around Hub City and it looks just like a normal comic city.

I think it was referenced in Convergence but I never read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

I am powering through the Question trades and it is kind of mind blowing the stuff that they got away with. I noticed that after a certain amount of issues it started saying "Suggested for mature readers" which I think was another precursor for the Vertigo line. The only other non-Vertigo book I can think of off the top of my head that had the "Suggested for mature readers" box was Lobo. I am kind of interested if there is a history behind this or a move from DC to make more mature hero books in the 80's.
It looks like they introduced the "FOR MATURE READERS" tag specifically for Swamp Thing in early 1987, transitioning it to "Suggested for Mature Readers" a few months later.

1987 saw a number of books SfMR: Angel Love, The Shadow, Slash Maraud, Sonic Disruptors, Vigilante, Wasteland, and starting with issue #8 (June 1987), The Question.

1988 added Blackhawks, Cinder & Ashe, Green Arrow, Haywire, Hellblazer, Tailgunner Jo, Unknown Soldier, and V for Vendetta.

1989 added even more: A Catwoman mini-series, a Deadman mini-series, Gilgamesh II, Justice Inc., The Ring (the opera not the horror movie), Sandman, and Skreemer. The Huntress series switched over to SfMR with its seventh issue, a tag it kept until it was canceled with #19.

1990 saw the publication of a "Mature Readers" adaptation of the Adventures of Ford Fairlane (and a code approved adaptation of Total Recall), a mini-series called The Butcher (a Green Arrow spinoff), Breathtaker, Ms. Tree, The Nazz, Shade the Changing Man, Twilight, and World Without End.

Shade the Changing Man wasn't solicited as "Mature Readers" until the fourth issue, though the first three still had the tag at publication.
Doom Patrol added a SfMR as of issue 37, over a year into Grant Morrison and Richard Case's run.
The first mini-series for Books of Magic and Lobo also launched in 1990, but didn't get a SfMR tag in either case.

1991 saw the Grant Morrison Kid Eternity book get a SfMR label, as did the Mister E mini. There was also John Byrne's OMAC miniseres, Generation Zero, The Griffin, The Psycho, and the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special was the first "Mature Readers" Lobo book.

1992 added a few more pre-Vertigo SfMR books: Shado (another Green arrow spin-off), another Deadman mini-series, and Lobo's Back/Lobo: Infanticide. Green Arrow dropped the Mature Readers label with issue 63 in May 1992, and Animal Man #50 added it in June.

January 1993 saw the launch of Vertigo and that was pretty much the end of "Mature Readers" books in the DCU until Black Label; all of the Lobo mini-series and one-shots from Unamerican Gladiators in April 1993 no longer were "Mature Readers" books.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Flashpoint sequel in honor of its... uh, 11th anniversary:

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1482019676884373507

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FoneBone posted:

As long as it is stand alone it might be fine. Looks into different worlds of the multiverse/hypertime is good.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Does this take place before or after Reverse Flash blips him to main DC where he then becomes Bane's puppet and gets his back broken by Batman but then is suddenly better when he's shoehorned in to the house of heroes club?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No one asked for this!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's gonna be a no from me. I'm sure there's someone out there it's for, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A chalkboard. :swoon:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The Just Ice Society...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol at 5G averted

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

FoneBone posted:

That's a real shame.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mr Hootington posted:

A chalkboard. :swoon:

who drew this? Dusty Abell? Gibbons?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

who drew this? Dusty Abell? Gibbons?

quote:

Return to the world of FLASHPOINT this April with an all-new event! It begins with FLASHPOINT BEYOND #0 by @geoffjohns and Eduardo Risso, and continues with a six-issue series by Johns, @spacekicker, @iamtimsheridan, and @Xermanico. Details: https://bit.ly/33AyHHa

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Codependent Poster posted:

lol at 5G averted

My laugh was at HISTORY IRREVOCABLY DAMAGED

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
The irony may be swooping over my head...but 5G was "averted" but not really, correct? Since Future State, the publications have been steadily drifting towards dual-generation story groups. The only part of 5G that didn't get used (yet) is the JSA portion?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Codependent Poster posted:

lol at 5G averted

Batman is Q, confirmed

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Future state is still happening if that bad black and white gotham comic is anything to go on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do you want to release evil gods upon the earth? Because this is how you release evil gods upon the earth!

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/enigma-diamond-sothebys-auction-scn-scil-intl/index.html

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Do you want to release evil gods upon the earth? Because this is how you release evil gods upon the earth!

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/enigma-diamond-sothebys-auction-scn-scil-intl/index.html

I'm prepared to roll the dice.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

On the one hand opening up a portal to a hell planet straight from the game Doom. On the other hand looks pretty cool in my collection. Who is to say what is right or wrong in this case.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
These just arrived from an eBay seller who did a beautiful job packing them. I already had the TPB with #1-11, and this is #14-50. Now I just need to find #12, 13, and the two Annuals to have the complete set, and then I can finally read the entire series for the first time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I might have the ones you're missing. I will check tomorrow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's a nice looking set

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
will this be reflected in any of the other ongoing DC books, or

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1483832907789709316

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I might have the ones you're missing. I will check tomorrow.

Thank you for looking, but please don't break up a complete run on my account!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

Redoing obsidian age

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Thank you for looking, but please don't break up a complete run on my account!

I never finished it and also I can't find them!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Barry Convex posted:

Lol, just lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I want some jla comics where they fight Dr. Destiny or the key or amos fortune or kanjar ro. Less extravagant universe ending villains.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Sounds stupid as hell

More comics like Nightwing, less comics like this poo poo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Redoing obsidian age

Best JL arc cause it showed Dick can lead the team. :colbert:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
DC: we've decided we're going to do 5G after all, except that we're going to write out the current heroes by killing them all off at once instead of aging them up via sliding timeline fuckery

(I don't think this is actually what's happening, but it would be funny)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

turning a big dial taht says "5G" on it and constantly looking back at readers for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I tap out after like 2 and a quarter Gs, I can't handle all 5

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Is superman certified to fly near 5G cities?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

quote:

That's all for the future, though. In and of itself, Justice League #75 will focus on the apocalyptic battle between the Justice League and the Dark Army in a dead multiverse. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Zatanna will embark on this mission — and only one will return to tell the rest of the universe what has happened.

Most of them are being set up for replacement in some manner (Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, John maybe, and Batman) while some others don't really have all that much going on (Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, Green Arrow) and the rest are sort on the fence though leaning towards the latter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Joshua Williamson is single handedly writing like half of the DC books now

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So how long before Bendis leaves DC? Seems like his run there has been a flop and now he's only writing Naomi.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't he writing the JLA LoSH book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I want some jla comics where they fight Dr. Destiny or the key or amos fortune or kanjar ro. Less extravagant universe ending villains.

:same:

I'm so tired of big epic stories. It feels like we only just got through with Death Metal but I guess it's been over a year so we better kill the Justice League and change the status quo before this house of cards collapses.