Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

goethe.cx posted:

I posted that the issue had been fixed, yet people have ignored my post to complain about dems and landlords or whatever
Still doesn't work for me at a regular apartment address using the covidtests/usps link both times. So there's still at least some issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

goethe.cx posted:

Due to the unvaccinated overflowing hospitals, yes

there are five times more fully vaccinated hospitalised with COVID than unvaccinated in NSW. twice more fully vaccinated than unvaccinated in the ICU. three times more deaths.

their hospitals are at the breaking point, even though they have a 93% fully vaccinated rate. the sheer infectiousness and partial vaccine avoidance overwhelms us at a macro level without NPIs.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/covid-19-surveillance-report-20220113.pdf

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Also, I'm hearing bad news from the Israeli 4th jab trials, and they're the ones I pay really close attention to, given how important keeping their colonist population intact is to them, strategically.

Anyone know where I can get some scientific papers on that?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

crepeface posted:

there are five times more fully vaccinated hospitalised with COVID than unvaccinated in NSW. twice more fully vaccinated than unvaccinated in the ICU. three times more deaths.

their hospitals are at the breaking point, even though they have a 93% fully vaccinated rate. the sheer infectiousness and partial vaccine avoidance overwhelms us at a macro level without NPIs.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/covid-19-surveillance-report-20220113.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_rate_fallacy

Having three times more fully vaccinated deaths with a 93% vaccination rate implies 80% vaccine effectiveness (and this number is a large underestimate, because the unvaccinated group is mostly 0-11 years old and the report includes no deaths in that group).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
jesus loving christ read what i posted

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the post that i'm addressing is claiming that hospitals are being clogged up by the unvaccinated.

the point is that even though vaccination massively reduces your chances of infection, hospitalisation and death, hospitals are at the breaking point, even with a 93% double vaccinated rate.

idk how i can make this more clear.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

crepeface posted:

the post that i'm addressing is claiming that hospitals are being clogged up by the unvaccinated.

the point is that even though vaccination massively reduces your chances of infection, hospitalisation and death, hospitals are at the breaking point, even with a 93% double vaccinated rate.

idk how i can make this more clear.

If your post is about hospitals being overwhelmed, why did you only post statistics about the percentage of severe covid cases that are in vaccinated people and none that have anything to do with hospitals being overwhelmed

edit: also as far as I know the pressure on hospitals right now is not mostly about the number of people hospitalized with severe covid. Which sort of dilutes the point in the next paragraph, but then I wasn't the one who posted "most covid deaths are fully vaccinated!!"

Anyway, vaccinating the ~2% of people that are unvaccinated and over 11 would remove ~1/3 of covid ICU occupancy. That sounds like it might change how overwhelmed the hospitals are.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 19, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

James Garfield posted:

If your post is about hospitals being overwhelmed, why did you only post statistics about the percentage of severe covid cases that are in vaccinated people and none that have anything to do with hospitals being overwhelmed

do you think having a large number of people in hospitals would contribute to hospitals overwhelmed

quote:

Anyway, vaccinating the ~2% of people that are unvaccinated and over 11 would remove ~1/3 of covid ICU occupancy. That sounds like it might change how overwhelmed the hospitals are.

you know you can click back through and see the posts being responded to, right?

goethe.cx posted:

They are but they’re not the bulk of people clogging hospitals

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The proportion of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated people in ICUs is gonna depend on your local vaccination rates. So while it may be unvaxxed people mostly clogging ICUs in much of the US where vaxx rates are low, that may not be true in Australia. Also IIRC the US has higher ICU beds per capita.

So both can be true. Though it would be helpful for the posters talking about American ICUs being clogged with unvaxxed people to provide some actual statistics as crepeface did.

edit: just grabbing the wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_hospital_beds

the US has 29.40 and Australia has 9.10 ICU/CCB beds per 100,000

there's probably a better resource than that, I've seen some graphics of ICU beds by nation. But it's relevant if comparing ICU occupancy.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 19, 2022

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Personal experience but the icus in my area are all unvaxxed or immunocompromised. 99% unvaxxed. All there for weeks at a time or just about.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

James Garfield posted:

edit: also as far as I know the pressure on hospitals right now is not mostly about the number of people hospitalized with severe covid. Which sort of dilutes the point in the next paragraph, but then I wasn't the one who posted "most covid deaths are fully vaccinated!!"

crepeface is clearly talking about omicron as a public health crisis, not on an individual outcome basis.

it doesnt matter if the vaccine is 98% effective if the end result still leads to the collapse of our hospital system

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Also this includes that from someone I know Cleveland clinic was calling hospitals in Rhode island for ICU beds.

Cleveland clinic has in it's massive system, which owns some of the hospitals in Cuyahoga, Ashtabula, Akron area, and Youngstown, they ended up calling hospitals all the way out in Rhode island to take find beds.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

A big flaming stink posted:

crepeface is clearly talking about omicron as a public health crisis, not on an individual outcome basis.

it doesnt matter if the vaccine is 98% effective if the end result still leads to the collapse of our hospital system

While it may be saturating the hospitals, Delta strain is still the primary strain killing people in ICU from my understanding. Much of omicron patients that are saturating the ERs are bullshit I just want to be tested or make sure that don't need to be there, or sent by lovely testy places because YOU TESTED POSTIVIE YOUR GONNA DIE GO TO THE ER NOW!!!!! Some of the worst part is the sheer misinformation that is being used to make people absolutely panic then run to the er where things just are broken right now.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Those don’t become hospital admissions unless you’re severely loving up your reporting…

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
In Florida news:

https://www.wmfe.org/pino-put-on-leave-for-encouraging-orange-county-department-of-health-employees-to-get-vaccinated/195298

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It comes down to the same old mathematical truths: yes, vaccines are still extremely loving good overall, but when you're dealing with a virulent and highly infectious disease, sometimes that ain't enough.

With Omicron being somewhat less likely to cause severe outcomes, and the fact that I'm vaccinated and boosted, I feel quite safe on a personal level should I get infected (which I am continuing to take strong precautions against). I would roll that dice for myself. But I'm not just rolling that dice for myself, I'm living in a society where there are people more vulnerable than me, and in a society with -- to be honest -- a huge loving population that can make even a tiny rate of severe illness a big deal, and I'm living in a society where hospitals exist to treat things other than COVID as well, and are staffed by humans who can fall ill and not be available even if they don't die from an infection.

We need to hold two conflicting views in our head: that the vaccines are very good, and that the vaccines aren't good enough on their own. All policy must be made in consideration of both parts.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

While it may be saturating the hospitals, Delta strain is still the primary strain killing people in ICU from my understanding. Much of omicron patients that are saturating the ERs are bullshit I just want to be tested or make sure that don't need to be there, or sent by lovely testy places because YOU TESTED POSTIVIE YOUR GONNA DIE GO TO THE ER NOW!!!!! Some of the worst part is the sheer misinformation that is being used to make people absolutely panic then run to the er where things just are broken right now.

The stats for NSW are November 25 to January 1 when the ICUs, at least, were still predominantly Delta.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coron...7dbf0318987a778

I don't how much being Omicron would change the ratios of vaxxed to unvaxxed but it would be interesting to see, given there are now three times as many people in hospital as there were on January 1. Unfortunately no Australian states give regular updates on patients' vax status.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The rates of severe illness among the vaccinated, in places which are reporting that data, are really encouraging. This holds across all risk groups, even if some groups still have an unfortunately high risk. It's a risk reduction of at least an order of magnitude, possibly more. It's probably better than seatbelts in terms of how much less likely you are to die.

That being said... just because seatbelts are great, doesn't mean we should get rid of traffic laws, and just because the vaccines are great, doesn't mean we should stop trying to control the spread of this still-quite-lovely virus. I feel that there's just a lack of nuance in all these policy choices.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fritz the Horse posted:

The proportion of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated people in ICUs is gonna depend on your local vaccination rates. So while it may be unvaxxed people mostly clogging ICUs in much of the US where vaxx rates are low, that may not be true in Australia. Also IIRC the US has higher ICU beds per capita.

So both can be true. Though it would be helpful for the posters talking about American ICUs being clogged with unvaxxed people to provide some actual statistics as crepeface did.

Yeah, my point about hospitals being overwhelmed despite vaccinations being so high is to try and puncture the notion that the sole problem is low vaccination rate. I see a lot of posts who hammer the "we need more vaccinations" or "it's a pandemic of the vaccinated" points while our national 95% vaccination rate is barely stemming the tide.

Edit: forgot to say, circumstances will be different everywhere, of course. Hospital capacity, age demographics, previous waves, etc.

quote:

edit: just grabbing the wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_hospital_beds

the US has 29.40 and Australia has 9.10 ICU/CCB beds per 100,000

there's probably a better resource than that, I've seen some graphics of ICU beds by nation. But it's relevant if comparing ICU occupancy.

I think US is way up there due to less preventative care so ICU capacity has to go up to compensate. I could be way off though.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

From the same report: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/covid-19-surveillance-report-20220113.pdf

You're right that Delta is the primarily responsible for the severe outcomes. NSW's breakdown is 50-50, but Delta's responsible for six times many hospitalisations. I don't get what your conclusion is though. Whatever the virus breakdown, our hospitals are still hosed right now. Victoria called a Code Brown yesterday.

FYI, about a month ago, media were reporting that Omicron had likely overtaken Delta but now the report is saying it's probably 50-50 so it doesn't seem like Omicron is outcompeting Delta nearly fast enough.

The media messaging I've seen is the opposite to what you've seen. Obviously we're in different places, but even in the US, the messaging still seems to be "it's a mild flu, get back to work." You got something to back your claim that most of Omicron patients in the ER don't need to be there? I can't imagine the admitting nurse just waving people through to an extremely stressed COVID ward and I think it's more likely that people don't go into hospital unless they have to if not for fear of catching COVID in the waiting room then just because it's a costly hassle.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 19, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The USPS test ordering page has been throwing a text uid error code for the last 5 hours. Very good.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

droll posted:

The USPS test ordering page has been throwing a text uid error code for the last 5 hours. Very good.

The fact that people will be taking these using them and then selling negative tests is purely American

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The fact that people will be taking these using them and then selling negative tests is purely American

How do you know this fact?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Unless you make the tests supervised people will either doctor them to be negative or positive as suits them best. To my mind, it's just about peace of mind, not reliable evidence of fuckall.

I'm lucky, two weeks ago I was coughing and I did a rapid test that popped negative, and I told my work that I wasn't coming in anyway and they said "hey, cool, that's a good choice. Do you need anything?" That's the standard we should have. If they were assholes about it, I would've photoshopped a positive line on the test, and if it had been positive but I needed the money real bad, I'd send them a stock photo of a negative test. It's not reliable if you can't trust the people taking the test and reporting it, and you can't trust the people taking the test if you give them motivation to lie.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 19, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

droll posted:

This is a vicious lie, it worked for me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah the site worked for me smoothly about 20 minutes ago.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Ha yep they're doing weird poo poo with non US IPs and I'd left my VPN connected.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
So here's a new level of :smith: for the pandemic, hot on the heels of the discussion of exterminating deer.

Recently here in Hong Kong there was an inexplicable case of a few people testing positive for Delta. There hadn't been any local cases of Delta for months, though Omicron has been slipping through a bit. One of the people worked at a pet shop, and the others (a family) had visited the pet shop for 10 minutes. Authorities quickly blamed it on... hamsters.

Now they're requiring pet owners and pet shops to turn in ~2,000 hamsters for destruction which had been imported from the Netherlands about a month ago.

"The owners say they were asked to sign a document forfeiting their right to compensation and pledging not to inquire after the hamsters again."

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...pgtype=homepage

I haven't seen anything stating that the hamsters have been tested, or that there's much behind this decision other than snuffing out any possibility that it was caused by untraced community spread or other ordinary explanations. It's starting to feel like every untraceable local case is attributed to some world's-first anomaly, like a world record incubation period or someone in the quarantine camp farting in a keyhole and the virus doing a Matrix run into someone else's room down the hall.

Meanwhile the rich and powerful get their own set of rules. Some senior government officials had an outbreak at a birthday party that exceeded event limits, didn't scan in using the legally required app, and then only had to spend a few days in quarantine (some less than a day).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm a frozen lobster/trashcan lid truther

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1483831305448173578

federal government giving away n95 masks for free at pharmacies and health centers

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The person who sits in the office next to mine is working from home this week because her husband has COVID. This poo poo just keeps getting closer and closer to me no matter what I do.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Craig K posted:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1483831305448173578

federal government giving away n95 masks for free at pharmacies and health centers

Why not just mail them with the tests people signed up for?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raccooon posted:

Why not just mail them?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

The person who sits in the office next to mine is working from home this week because her husband has COVID. This poo poo just keeps getting closer and closer to me no matter what I do.

Tell people you're symptomatic and work from home. Claim you can't find a test. Brush up on your resume and go find a job somewhere that actually cares about their employees its a looker's market right now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Oracle posted:

Tell people you're symptomatic and work from home. Claim you can't find a test. Brush up on your resume and go find a job somewhere that actually cares about their employees its a looker's market right now.

And miss out on this?

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1483534323382947842?s=20

quote:

A man’s agonizing penis pain was blamed on COVID infection, as docs warned of the rare side effect.

Writing in a medical journal, the Iranian team described how the virus led to blood clotting in the poor man’s shaft.

The unnamed male had suffered penile pain for three days before being seen by a urologist in Iran, who referred him for tests.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Its a username, not a life goal man.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

Why not just mail them with the tests people signed up for?

Why not just mail them to every address in America?

Why not just put a box of tests on every doorstep?

I don't get why they use this website step at all. A whole lot of people aren't going to use it!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

From what I've read, the masks are held at emergency-supply locations that aren't revealed bc of security reasons. Coordinating to mail them out in conjunction with the rapid tests would take longer to distribute than sending them directly to distribution points like pharmacies & community centers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PostNouveau posted:

I don't get why they use this website step at all. A whole lot of people aren't going to use it!

The US population is 329 million or so, and a lot of them don't need free masks (and depending on composition the masks won't be effective for very long). The strategic reserve appears to have had 750 million masks at its peak; I'm not sure of the levels it's at currently since they've been distributing them on an ongoing basis through smaller programs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

That's the point.

Then you don't have to send them to everyone. Saves money.

"But won't the NPI be less effective if people who need tests didn't place orders on the website in advance" yeah but now you can blame the failure on individuals if anyone criticizes your administration, which is the only real goal.

It's too bad Abrams tanks don't protect you from covid because then the government would sign a trillion dollar contract to send every American 10 of them every month.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

The US population is 329 million or so, and a lot of them don't need free masks (and depending on composition the masks won't be effective for very long). The strategic reserve appears to have had 750 million masks at its peak; I'm not sure of the levels it's at currently since they've been distributing them on an ongoing basis through smaller programs.

Sorry, who doesn’t need free masks? Is means-testing a good use of resources in a pandemic, particularly when “means” have relatively little value when nobody can actually find the drat things to buy them themselves?

Like, yes, I can get masks, because I’m an overpaid WFH goblin who obsessively follows covid threads online and literally have gotten tips from people who used to chase deals on where to find high-end graphics cards. Perhaps the government would be more capable of organizing such an effort than random internet people!