Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That’s too bad. At least they irreparably hosed the game up years ago so it doesn’t feel like too much of a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I need help coming up with some recommendations for a coworker who's looking for something new, but doesn't play many boardgames. He plays games with his partner and his brother who lives in a different city. They typically play Catan with a couple expansions, and setup a board on each side of the webcam (I assume they don't care about the exact distribution of the deck). I gather they aren't looking to get into boardgames, so much as looking for a new game to replace or alternate with Catan.

I've been out of the loop for the past several years, and I thought about recommending Quantum, but it looks like that's just out of print. I also forgot to ask if digital board games are alright, so right now I'm just looking for physical recommendations, but I'll come back if they are.

So:
  • 3 players
  • No more than Catan + expansion complexity wise
  • Not something super cutthroat
  • His brother getting a copy is on the table
  • Assume digital versions aren't an option

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
That's obviously going to work better with a game with no hidden information, Hansa Tuetonica is my pick.

Almost the same Bgg weight rating (3.1 vs 2.9) very interactive but not very stabby, totally open information, all the information can be put into a single Web cam view pretty easily.

Also the big box is easily in print.

Another game that might work is bus (3.05 bgg weight). No hidden information, interactive, not to stabby.

Edit: turns out the 2.9 weight rating for catan is actually the cities and knights expansion, so my recommendations might be a bit heavy

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 15, 2022

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

So:
  • 3 players

Little Town - small box area control game about generating resources and plopping down buildings
Tiny Towns - spacial puzzle around building a town
Via Nebula - Martin Wallace route building
Roll Player - create a D&D character. with dice. that's the game. because dice, works best if remote has a copy
Isle of Skye - tableau builder with auctions.

These are all best with 3 and ~same complexity as Catan.

EDIT: more, these a step more complex:

Pan-Am - route building and stock holding
London Second Edition - city engine builder
Nusfjord - Uwe's seaside fishing game.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 15, 2022

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Tiny towns is a excellent suggestion, and would work great in the dualing webcams format

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

E: This might be less complexity and interactivity than they're looking for, but Cartographers would be extremely easy to play via webcam (especially if you use the solo rules for monster ambushes). It's also pretty cheap and the other players could get away with printing their own maps from Thunderwork's website if they didn't want to buy extra copies.

If they wanted to try some coop and like Marvel, I think Marvel Champions would also be pretty easy to play via webcam. Everyone plays from their own deck and I don't think there are many (any?) situations where players would have to shuffle in cards from a shared pool.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 15, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Following on from Cartographers, any roll-and-write or flip-and-write should work without even needing a web cam, just someone to proctor the game. Most if not all have a way to just print off a copy of the sheet.

Railroad Ink is a roll-and-Write with a route building aspect, which might make it similar to Catan, and it is extremely popular. I own On Tour which is somewhat similar, and I like it but it is certainly less popular, more expensive, geared towards larger groups and I don't know the purchasing status of it at the moment. However, I have played On Tour online with strangers with just my dry-erase board and it worked just fine. I expect any roll-and-write to serve you well here.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

unpronounceable posted:

I need help coming up with some recommendations for a coworker who's looking for something new, but doesn't play many boardgames. He plays games with his partner and his brother who lives in a different city. They typically play Catan with a couple expansions, and setup a board on each side of the webcam (I assume they don't care about the exact distribution of the deck). I gather they aren't looking to get into boardgames, so much as looking for a new game to replace or alternate with Catan.

I've been out of the loop for the past several years, and I thought about recommending Quantum, but it looks like that's just out of print. I also forgot to ask if digital board games are alright, so right now I'm just looking for physical recommendations, but I'll come back if they are.

So:
  • 3 players

Inis could work. The only issue would be the cutthroat thing; it's a competitive dudes-on-a-map game. Still, one of the victory conditions is to control land with lots of enemies on it, so players are encouraged not to just exterminate one another. Even if a player gets wiped out completely, in their next turn they get to place to new pieces anywhere, so getting wiped doesn't feel that bad.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Dominion would also work well in that format. It’s simple, deep, and different every time.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Magnetic North posted:

Following on from Cartographers, any roll-and-write or flip-and-write should work without even needing a web cam, just someone to proctor the game. Most if not all have a way to just print off a copy of the sheet.

Railroad Ink is a roll-and-Write with a route building aspect, which might make it similar to Catan, and it is extremely popular. I own On Tour which is somewhat similar, and I like it but it is certainly less popular, more expensive, geared towards larger groups and I don't know the purchasing status of it at the moment. However, I have played On Tour online with strangers with just my dry-erase board and it worked just fine. I expect any roll-and-write to serve you well here.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/200551/30-rails is largely a slightly better Railroad Ink without the same production values, and is at the very attractive price of free.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Inis could work. The only issue would be the cutthroat thing; it's a competitive dudes-on-a-map game. Still, one of the victory conditions is to control land with lots of enemies on it, so players are encouraged not to just exterminate one another. Even if a player gets wiped out completely, in their next turn they get to place to new pieces anywhere, so getting wiped doesn't feel that bad.

I don't think the drafting would work in the constraints

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Been playing a lot of Hyperborea recently and was really impressed with just how good it is. I didn't much care for bag building in Orleans - it was reasonably satisfying, but ultimately didn't feel like it added a significant number of interesting decisions to what was otherwise a fairly straight forward MWE. In Hyperborea it feels way more impactful, at least in part because the timing of when you run out of cubes is so crucial, and there are so many different ways to screw it up (buying cubes at the wrong time, ending a turn with a single cube in the bag, resetting at the right time to free up your forces to contest areas, making sure that you run out of cubes at the same time you run out of places to put them).

Combine that with Mage Knight-lite style exploration and competition for upgrade /resource spots, limited but really impactful area control, upgrading different technologies for different approaches to the game and it's just really satisfying to play. It feels like the rare game that manages to combine a whole range of different ideas and mechanics in a way that is smooth and feels tightly integrated rather than disjointed or slapped together.

It took me till at least game three before I stopped making incredibly dumb unforced mistakes and I always appreciate a game that is a challenge to learn how to play well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I really gotta give that one another shot; I played it once many years ago and it seemed okay, but never played it again and have thought about it enough that I should.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hyperborea is really loving good and while I hadn't thought of it in those terms, calling it competitive Mage Knight lite is not the worst description. When the world is sane again I'm dying to try it with the expansion. But not before then, as I'm not dying to try it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Broke out Eldritch Horror for the first time in a long time. I was playing kung-fu master Lilly Chen; ostensibly it was my job to clear monsters off the board but instead I failed basically every check I attempted and racked up a leg injury, hallucinations, hypothermia, a blight, and a curse. With the board now swimming in monsters, the 11 year old orphan girl Wendy Adams managed to acquire an enchanted cane and some combat spells. Backed up by jazz musician Jim Culver's magic trumpet, the two charged into Rome to clear a stack of horrific beasts. Wendy tore through the monsters and, having killed them all, immediately stumbled into a college lecture by Enrico Fermi. The 11 year old tried her best to understand the complex material, but ultimately it was beyond her and the stress drove her completely insane.

10/10, fantastic experience, this is why I keep this game around.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
So I managed to get my wife into board games with lighter games like canopy, cascadia and calico and stepped it up with wingspan and paleo. Im looking for a good 2 player light to medium weight euro, any suggestions? I do have fields of arle laying around but was thinking that an Uwe Rosenberg game might be too much.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

l0lwhat posted:

So I managed to get my wife into board games with lighter games like canopy, cascadia and calico and stepped it up with wingspan and paleo. Im looking for a good 2 player light to medium weight euro, any suggestions? I do have fields of arle laying around but was thinking that an Uwe Rosenberg game might be too much.

Caverna: Cave vs Cave + expansion
Le Havre: The Inland Port
Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small + expansions or complete edition
- these are 2 player only / lighter versions of Uwe's bigger box games. all very good.

Foothills (2 player version of Snowdonia)

higher complexity:
Grand Austria Hotel
Nusfjord
Hallertau

if any of the higher complexity games go over well, give Fields a shot

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm struck by the nature theme running through your games and thought Parks. It really shines at 3+ but is perfectly fine at 2, if you don't mind an American Euro.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

Hyperborea is really loving good and while I hadn't thought of it in those terms, calling it competitive Mage Knight lite is not the worst description. When the world is sane again I'm dying to try it with the expansion. But not before then, as I'm not dying to try it.

Ditto. The expansion being re-released recently for perfectionists who care NOTHING for the fact that you can DIY 90% of it perfectly easily is also added incentive to give it another try in 2022.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

l0lwhat posted:

I love Fields of Arle but everytime I show it to other players, even experienced ones, they really struggle with what they should be doing. I think the sandbox nature and the upgrade system trips people.

But once it clicked everyone really enjoyed it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

l0lwhat posted:

I'm bad at judging weight and such, but this sounds very similar to the trajectory me and my wife both took as we have started getting more into the hobby.
I recommend Viticulture, Istanbul, and Hansa Teutonica.

Also, maybe the West Kingdom Games could be worth a look in (Architects, Paladins, or Viscounts of the West Kingdom). They were varying levels of complexity but a much more approachable game for me than other "complex" games,

I have my own question;
someone local is selling Suburbia Collectors Edition Kickstarter box, but I can see there is a 2nd edition and 2nd edition expansions for a similar price brand new. Is there anything that I would be missing out on if I get the collectors edition? I dont want to grab the wrong version and be missing some key gameplay content.

philihp
Jun 1, 2008

l0lwhat posted:

I really love Fields of Arle, so much that I wrote https://arle.philihp.com using the boardgame.io framework, to experiment with it in solo play and still have quick game resets. You're right, it's quite intimidating simply from the number of possible actions on the board in the first round. The Tea and Trade expansion adds a third player, for what that's worth, but needing to know all of the actions is already going to intimidate a new player so much that by the time you are explaining buildings and traveling to towns, you've probably overloaded only the most thirsty of new players.

I would say maybe try Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small and see if your wife likes the worker placement mechanic, resource management, and farm building vibe.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Fields of Arle is the best

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Please sell me on/off Rococo, specifically Deluxe Edition. I want goon opinions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spiteski posted:

I have my own question;
someone local is selling Suburbia Collectors Edition Kickstarter box, but I can see there is a 2nd edition and 2nd edition expansions for a similar price brand new. Is there anything that I would be missing out on if I get the collectors edition? I dont want to grab the wrong version and be missing some key gameplay content.

Some of the components in the CE version are slightly nicer, and there are extra promo tiles and another expansion. None of the missing content is essential though.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

CitizenKeen posted:

Please sell me on/off Rococo, specifically Deluxe Edition. I want goon opinions.

I own both the regular edition and the Deluxe and both are great.

Ever wanted to be a dressmaker in the Sun King's court? This is the game for you. Ever wanted a deckbuilder that eliminates randomness but gives you a feeling of customizing your strategy by hiring workers towards a long-term strategy from a relatively limited pool? Want a little point salad and a little recipe-building and a little area control and some interesting twists on all of the above that haven't really been fully reproduced in its successors? And a game that's relatively simple to teach by today's standards?

Rococo's your game. And the Deluxe edition is lovely.

Here, let Quinns' enthusiasm take you home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8pohUw9s0

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Rococo is good and the experience is nice, especially with the upgraded pieces. It’s got that same “elegant” feel as Lisboa. It’s not particularly complex either.

Easily made it to my shelf.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

How badly do you want to spend >100$ for a run-of-the-mill euro?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CitizenKeen posted:

Rococo is a bit less than the sum of it's parts. The worker placement, deck building, and area control are good on their own, but they don't synergize. Despite that, it's a fine middle-weight euro. But it could have been more, and there are few games with that sort of theme.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Lisboa has better mechanics (and is a better game from the same publisher at the same price) but the experience of playing Rococo is what carries it. The pieces are nice and it’s fun to build the dresses and see the board build up, with enough depth that it’s not a dumb game of “pick resources and build a thing”

Given the choice I would take Lisboa over Rococo (though I own both) but I wouldn’t turn down Rococo or “always” play a similar game over it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

l0lwhat posted:

I would question stepping up to Wingspan from Calico and Cascadia but anyway. Patchwork is a great 2 player game as is 7 Wonders Duel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Rococo is a bit less than the sum of it's parts. The worker placement, deck building, and area control are good on their own, but they don't synergize. Despite that, it's a fine middle-weight euro. But it could have been more, and there are few games with that sort of theme.

Eh, I thought the systems worked reasonably well together. It really doesn't have anything special to offer, though. It's solid, and if you were new to the hobby and were willing to burn the cash on something beautiful rather than buy two games then I wouldn't quibble with a recommendation for the Deluxe edition. But anyone who already has a decent collection will already own a game that is better than Rococo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

As a follow-up to Roccoco discussion, it is going to be offered as an add-on for the Weather Machine KS. So it'll be a good way to pick it up on the cheap.

I was considering pledging for Weather Machine, Kanban EV, and Roccoco Deluxe.

So as a curiosity question to the thread - out if Kanban and Roccoco, which is the better pickup?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rococo and Kanban EV are very different games with different weights. If you're a big Lacerda fan, then pick Kanban. It was the first Lacerda I saw and it scared the poo poo out of me when I saw the board so I never played it, but EV has tidied it all up graphics-wise and the game beneath is quite intuitive once you're familiar with Sandra's movement.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kanban EV signage is fantastic and I rarely had to reference the rules after the learning game

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Seeing preorders for Horseless Carriage popping up. Does anyone know anything about this game?

(How underwhelming will the components be?)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

Seeing preorders for Horseless Carriage popping up. Does anyone know anything about this game?

(How underwhelming will the components be?)

Splotter!

I'm pretty sure no one has any real idea what it's like, but hey their track record is pretty great if you like their style.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Horseless carriages components will be fine and not worth the endless discussion they’ll end up generating

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lacerda’s are great “my friend owns it games” since they are too much shelf volume/dollars for game payout IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Papes posted:

Horseless carriages components will be fine and not worth the endless discussion they’ll end up generating

If they're not printed on 5 inch thick cardboard they're worthless