Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Xaris posted:

yo for real, don't do that thing you did. at least not if you don't want to quickly end up cheated on and/or single.

and i mean that with best of love and no antagonism

lol don't say poo poo like this wtf is wrong with you

"don't tell your girlfriend plastic is bad she'll cheat on you" really dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

caffeign
fauxfee

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Alobar posted:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

pygmy tyrant posted:

I’ve been taking a mental health break from this thread for the last 6 months, although I’m not sure it helped as I have since fully transformed into that person with pockets full of seeds to share with the neighborhood crows. I assume things still aren’t that bad, yet?

Very sorry to hear about the imminent death of coffee.

It will be a slow and increasingly bitter death too :(

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Spime Wrangler posted:

Spend 12 hours breathing through meltblown plastic, the only technology able to prevent infection from the deadly pandemic.

This has been sticking in my craw for days too. I was worried about a potential gang war between the covid and biosphere threads :sickos:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Alobar posted:

it's the situation. for example of something more egregious:

*gf buys a dark chocolate peanut butter cookie*

goon: omfg don't you know that the sugar in those cookies is mined from starving ecuador children built upon plantations over slaughtered holy indigeneous land and shipped on freighters ran by exploited indians? all that just to make mars bars a penny more in profit?

gf: ..i just wanted a cookie after a bad day at work

but anyways i'll leave it at that. trying to belitte your partners (even if it's not intentional) over individual choices isn't going to be healthy. and also again lol individual action

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
the best thing you can do with plastic is throw it into the garbage so it gets buried in a landfill, that girlfriend is an ecological hero, as long as she doesnt live near a coastline

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Thanks so much, these pencils are really nice, just for future reference though, I'm not a big fan stuff with plastic in it. Now get naked and lie on the sofa so I can draw you ;)

- a healthy reaction

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
our posts in this thread are probably more wasteful and less useful than the plastic-encased colored pencils

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
ur posts maybe

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
anyway, death is imminent

https://twitter.com/PCarterClimate/status/1483522645299658753?t=NW7IkRBA40a_WTd9Fno4-g&s=19

peep the angle of that arctic curve

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

looks like fake data to me doomer, its fine

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
ice's meltin ice's meltin my hands are shakin my hands are shakin and im still eating those neurotoxs

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Xaris posted:

yo for real, don't do that thing you did. at least not if you don't want to quickly end up cheated on and/or single.

Oh is this why I'm still single? I didn't realize!

Genuinely, people who can shut out the greatest vulnerability in the world from the person they're supposed to be most honest with confuse/impress me. I can't do it, I have to put it on the table up front that I know we're going to hell and I just want a hand to hold on the ride down in the basket. How do you compartmentalize it so well?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lmao we’ve hosed this planet in so many wild ways

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Xaris posted:

I was reading the forums on an old phone that mostly gets used by one of our kids at like 5am, and so my wife had picked it up after breakfast. She said "at first I was confused how <5 year old kid> was on a page about 'Biosphere' but then I saw 'biosphere collapse'. Thanks for keeping whatever that is to yourself this morning, rather than making me hear about it at breakfast"

:allears:

She is fairly crack/pinged on all this anyway; there's no point. I tell her stuff that I find from here that I think she'll find interesting; the texas well geyser situation and Lake Boned are a good example of that. She doesn't need to be convinced we're pretty well hosed on a global scale, and reminding her of it all the time wouldn't make our interactions more pleasant by a long shot.

Everything dies and I burned her out both my inherant doomerism and unanswerable questions long before I found cspam.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Car Hater posted:

Genuinely, people who can shut out the greatest vulnerability in the world from the person they're supposed to be most honest with confuse/impress me. I can't do it, I have to put it on the table up front that I know we're going to hell and I just want a hand to hold on the ride down in the basket. How do you compartmentalize it so well?

Yeah you can put it on the table up front, but you won't have much of a relationship if you do nothing but stare at the table and never let your partner do anything without reminding them of the horror that's on it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

Truer words have never been spoken. The only way to avoid isolation is find some bullshit dual power community that isn't cspam (lol) or don't talk about cspam.

idk, seems really isolating to not be able to acknowledge reality with your SO. I don’t go on and on about it but we both complain about living on a planet of plastic garbage and having to work doing useless poo poo despite being part of a sentient extinction event that makes the majority of our time we spend toiling away a useless waste of time. I’d not be able to deal with someone in denial if they’re supposed to be the closest person to me in the world

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Yeah, having a partner that is on the same page would be ideal but there are massive ideological hurdles to crack pinging and it's hard to meet someone who checks the boxes.

For many, it's a choice between being totally alone or biting your tongue

Not ideal but that's life

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
At least imo it's that laughing at the horror is the only way I can function, and sense of humor is the most important part of a relationship. I can't be myself around someone who hasn't crack-pinged, I want to _enjoy_ the rest of this shitshow.
So lol yeah this is all tongue-in-cheek posturing, I should be out collecting signatures

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Laterite posted:

our posts in this thread are probably more wasteful and less useful than the plastic-encased colored pencils

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Egg Moron posted:

Yeah, having a partner that is on the same page would be ideal but there are massive ideological hurdles to crack pinging and it's hard to meet someone who checks the boxes.

For many, it's a choice between being totally alone or biting your tongue

Not ideal but that's life

Depressing the poo poo out of your normie partner isn’t going to help avert what’s coming anyways

just put your poo poo in the compost and smile

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Egg Moron posted:

My wife believes all this poo poo, thinks it's real and will be existential in our lives, but also isn't a doomer on it and basically we both look at this as "life is what it is, and as it changes we'll observe it and do our best to adapt".

I shared the story about the Texas well lake and general insanity of the Texas wells with her this morning, she thought it was interesting and Very Texas Indeed.

So, she is on the same page with me generally and to the extent I walk around in a spiral of doom, I bite my tongue and just don't say poo poo like "what if we die together with our kids in a hail of bullets / tornado / monsoon", because, okay, it might happen, but life is hard enough right now and it's better to be present in the current moment and find whatever richness, love and pleasure exists, however fleetingly.

Someone made a post a few pages back about how this is what God wants because we're in Hell. I don't believe in God or reincarnation, but the buddhist concepts of dukkha and samsara make a lot of sense to me; this is and has always been the realm of suffering, the realm of resource scarcity, the realm of lots of wriggly lifeforms down in the dirt leading strange slimey lives, the realm where pain exists, the realm where desire is insatiable, etc.

From that perspective, I am personally no more or less hosed than I would have been at any other point in time. At least poo poo is interesting now. I keep telling myself.

wynott dunn posted:

Depressing the poo poo out of your normie partner isn’t going to help avert what’s coming anyways

just put your poo poo in the compost and smile

If I had a normie partner I woulda had to leave them years ago and use the dreaded CSPAM MATCHMAKER SERVICE

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

We just had COPE26 which was all about limiting us to 1.5C of temperature rise which was based on flawed data that doesn't truly measure the scope of largely self-reported carbon emissions or account for any other greenhouse emissions or feedback loops which proves conclusively that we have another decade to halt the eventual trend upwards of the temperature to 1.5C at some future date in the 2030s/2040s.

Are you telling me that we might be close to hitting that threshold sooner than expected?!?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Alobar posted:

Don't pointlessly bum your partner out about something they did to feel good (buy art supplies) over something as utterly inconsequential as a couple dozen grams of plastic, yes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why is the arctic heating up so much more than antarctica?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

heat rises (to the top of the globe)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

actionjackson posted:

The Arctic is a bunch of ice on water but Antarctica is a bunch of ice on land.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Car Hater posted:

well for one, her buying some pencil cores in plastic that will end up being landfill or ocean waste has absolutely zero impact in the way things are going to play out, and so reaming her for trying to be nice gets the other poster nowhere good

you compartmentalize it by acknowledging that your individual actions have little to no impact and that the best thing you can do is treat those close to you kindly, and the choices you make are for you and your personal conscience more than anything

sharing your fears is different than obsessing over individual choices and not being able to not mention how badly things are going at every opportunity. people want to be happy regardless of what is happening to the world and if you want to point out nothing matters every chance you get they’re going to pick to be around someone else who makes them feel happy, and rightly so imo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Homocow posted:

yo I'm not super connected to the religious world, but like, why aren't more religious people outraged by what man has done to what they consider to be god's perfect creation?

abrahamism is an actual death cult that views the material world as insubstantial and transitory

oh rime put it much more eloquently than I did, just read this post again:

Rime posted:

The only point of lived existence is to either:

A. Live a life of Christian values :airquote:, Die, and languish in purgatory until the Apocalypse and judgement day.

B. Usher in the apocalypse, and judgement day, thus freeing all these souls - at which point all sinners will be cast into hell and the "righteous" ushered into the kingdom of heaven.

This is why Americans, among many other things, are so blindly supportive of Israel. It isn't due to anything related to the Holocaust, it's because the book of revelations stipulates a number of things regarding Israel and the temples which they believe need to be brought to fruition before they can enter heaven.

The net result of this is that the living world, likely the only existence they will ever know barring something like universal consciousness turning out to be true, is viewed as entirely disposable. This life is a transient state, a stepping stone to an eternity of bliss and utopia under the stern gaze of a loving parental figure.

Modern interpretations of Abrahamic religions walk hand in hand with consumer capitalism, they're parasitic twins.

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Jan 19, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah it's pragmatic. you can be angry and right and alone if you want. my wife knows how i feel about all this, she has similar opinions, but we barely ever talk about it because what's the loving point? what does feeling bad all the time accomplish?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ruggan posted:

well for one, her buying some pencil cores in plastic that will end up being landfill or ocean waste has absolutely zero impact in the way things are going to play out, and so reaming her for trying to be nice gets the other poster nowhere good

you compartmentalize it by acknowledging that your individual actions have little to no impact and that the best thing you can do is treat those close to you kindly, and the choices you make are for you and your personal conscience more than anything

sharing your fears is different than obsessing over individual choices and not being able to not mention how badly things are going at every opportunity. people want to be happy regardless of what is happening to the world and if you want to point out nothing matters every chance you get they’re going to pick to be around someone else who makes them feel happy, and rightly so imo

For yea they brought the doctrines of crack ping and laid them before the people but the people did not want to crack ping and they were scorned. Their liberatory doctrines allowed in the petitioners no feelings of disquiet or discontentment, they began to lmao and walked away.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just put on ur hinge profile that you have been vasectomied and the first date is checking out each others bug-out-bags

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Highly saline water comes out of active wells alongside oil and gas and is injected back deep underground under high pressure. The amount of water injected in the Permian Basin is extraordinarily large and has caused a series of earthquakes around Midland. Potentially, some of this salt water migrated upward and created a pressurized pocket that eroded away cement plugs in the well and escaped to the surface. (If that’s the case, it may be shortsighted that the state has brought in vacuum trucks to hoover up the water from the blown-out well and is reinjecting it into a saltwater disposal well a few miles away.)

west texas.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this is the same region as this tweet is about

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1483578803683307530