Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I haven't had a chance to check the details but Maximillian seems to think Microsoft has found a studio to work on the next Killer Instinct game and apparently it's being made by Bandai Namco in Japan. That's going off the Youtube thumbnail anyways. Weird as heck choice and I don't see the Tekken team working on it because they'll obviously be busy with Tekken 8 but maybe the Soul Calibur team could be working on it? For whatever reason Bandai Namco treats that IP like dirt despite the last SC being amazing and the team is still together as far as I know so perhaps it could be them? Then again I just learned that Bandai Namco makes Smash Bros for Nintendo so clearly they have fighting developers I didn't even know about.

Also why isn't the KI announcer in every Xbox Studios game yet? If we get more Tony Hawk I wanna hear him losing his poo poo to my sick combos.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The only reason to buy a PS5 is for Naughty Dog games.

They are a shell of their PS3 glory days and it's not surprising given all the talent that's left amid the scandals and horror stories that come out about that place, I can see why their team is a revolving door at this point because :stare: I got my PS5 because I was sick of my jet engine PS4 and still hold out hope for another Bloodborne game even though Sony killed their Japan studios and From Software is making new stuff. Will probably get a remaster. Then a remake. Then a director's cut. Then another remaster.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SUNKOS posted:

They are a shell of their PS3 glory days

lol, certainly a take

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The only reason to buy a PS5 is for Naughty Dog games.

They've still got plenty of really good first party games, but luckily they're also starting to port those to the PC.

But give us Demon's Blood and Bloodborne, you cowards!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

SUNKOS posted:

I got my PS5 because I was sick of my jet engine PS4

lmao that really is the best reason

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

wtf are you talking about? This is one of the dumbest thing I have ever read lol.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

veni veni veni posted:

wtf are you talking about? This is one of the dumbest thing I have ever read lol.

The PS3 was like the gaming equivalent to those statue legs in the desert in the Ozymandias poem. Just pure loving hubris after the PS2 convinced Sony execs they could do anything they wanted and people would lap it up. Literally "we think people will get a second job to afford our console" comments, alienating all smaller devs, making baffling and idiotic choices, turning the whole company into a laughing stock.

Then they swung back hard with the PS4 by shockingly admitting all this and making amends.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Adun posted:

What the gently caress Microsoft just bought Activision

Microsoft management should have listened to the warnings from the Imp Zone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The PS3 was like the gaming equivalent to those statue legs in the desert in the Ozymandias poem. Just pure loving hubris after the PS2 convinced Sony execs they could do anything they wanted and people would lap it up. Literally "we think people will get a second job to afford our console" comments, alienating all smaller devs, making baffling and idiotic choices, turning the whole company into a laughing stock.

Then they swung back hard with the PS4 by shockingly admitting all this and making amends.

It outsold the 360.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Also why isn't the KI announcer in every Xbox Studios game yet? If we get more Tony Hawk I wanna hear him losing his poo poo to my sick combos.
IIRC the KI2013 announcer was one of the Season 1 developers who went on to Amazon instead of an actual voice actor, and the unlockable “classic” announcer was a Rare programmer now at Playtonic, so the reason they’re not shouting in more games is that they’re busy with day jobs instead of chasing gigs. :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It outsold the 360.

Wasn’t this largely because Japan don’t buy Xboxes?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It outsold the 360.

PS3 was ultimately a success and a good console, but it was in spite of all of that stuff being true. Calling PS3 Sony's glory days is laughable though, since it was probably overall the weakest Playstation and definitely way worse than the PS4 in every regard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ps3 was a great console if you like your fingers to frequently slide off the triggers and sticks

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

PS3 is the slowest most awkward console to navigate through and the games felt very sluggish to control. Also it's easily the worst Dualshock controller.

gently caress that console. I have no idea why anyone has nostalgia for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

IIRC the KI2013 announcer was one of the Season 1 developers who went on to Amazon instead of an actual voice actor, and the unlockable “classic” announcer was a Rare programmer now at Playtonic, so the reason they’re not shouting in more games is that they’re busy with day jobs instead of chasing gigs. :v:

So buy out Playtonic and Amazon, got it

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Kins posted:

That's actually really cool even though it's disappointing that he's elsewhere. I think something similar happened with Hellblade where the actress was just one of the devs and then they're winning fancy awards lol.

Barudak posted:

So buy out Playtonic and Amazon, got it

Has Amazon actually had any success with their gaming ventures? I only remember seeing one game that an Overwatch streamer hyped up and had the plug pulled shortly after launch because it was a complete failure.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 19, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kirios posted:

PS3 is the slowest most awkward console to navigate through and the games felt very sluggish to control. Also it's easily the worst Dualshock controller.

gently caress that console. I have no idea why anyone has nostalgia for it.

Given enough time people will be nostalgic for anything. Hell look on Steam now and you'll find hundreds of indie retro games with N64-quality 4KB texture maps.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

But hey, antitrust laws pretty much don't exist anymore so it's kind of pointless to pretend there are even rules for this sort of thing. That said, cheerleading this kind of a behavior from any corporation is backwards, and none of it spells good things for people who buy games, much less people who makes them.

I genuinely don't see how this acquisition rises to antitrust levels of concern. In terms of revenue doesn't this deal make Microsoft the... third largest game company? I think arguing that this deal hinders competition in any way is a stretch. Microsoft acquisitions also tend to make the games they now own more accessible. People will be able to play future Call of Duty games for $15 on their phones with Game Pass. That's incredible.

Also, given all of Activision's problems I trust basically anyone else to run that company better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Played an hour of Max Payne 2 last night. Holy moly there’s a lot more cutscenes than I remembered.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Played an hour of Max Payne 2 last night. Holy moly there’s a lot more cutscenes than I remembered.

If they were unskippable it would be unplayable

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SUNKOS posted:

That's actually really cool even though it's disappointing that he's elsewhere. I think something similar happened with Hellblade where the actress was just one of the devs and then they're winning fancy awards lol.

Has Amazon actually had any success with their gaming ventures? I only remember seeing one game that an Overwatch streamer hyped up and had the plug pulled shortly after launch because it was a complete failure.

Crucible indeed got cancelled after a closed beta, which the company that owns Twitch somehow barely promoted. I think their MMO New World did really well at launch tho. The playerbase has seen a hefty drop since then, because of the usual folks getting bored after a month plus the insane grinders not finding enough end-game content. Also, the game was a CLUSTERFUCK of development from start to the current day which has produced baffling bugs, glitches and server gently caress-ups. I think anyone still playing that game is in some kind of unhealthy relationship with it.

I've had experiences with SteamCharts in the past where they were clearly not accurate, but here are their stats on New World: https://steamcharts.com/app/1063730#3m

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 19, 2022

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

PS3 was the only Sony console I didn't buy and I don't feel like I missed anything because all the good games were remastered for PS4.

Real hurthling! posted:

It launched in terrible shape and bears some ugly narrative and pacing scars to this day but it became a post launch support darling and being on sale like immediately for years made it a huge hit with like 7 million sales. Still an embarrassing game for sony execs and they got rid of the guy in charge over the insanely bad launch and wouldnt let him make another.
All in all its fun but for being 20 hrs too long

It didn't sell 8 million like that former dev claimed, he admitted he was looking at like psnprofiles.con trophy stuff to get those numbers, forgetting that the game was free on PS plus and also still free in the PS plus collection.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Given enough time people will be nostalgic for anything. Hell look on Steam now and you'll find hundreds of indie retro games with N64-quality 4KB texture maps.

Hell look at the PS4 library, a good chunk of it is just PS3 remasters and remakes. That's even what the PS5 launched with. The PS3 had a lot of great output that is still relied on to this day. They scoffed at backwards compatibility and insisted nobody wants to play old games but they have milked the hell out of remasters/remakes and even bought a studio that specializes in them.

Zerot posted:

Also, given all of Activision's problems I trust basically anyone else to run that company better.

Yeah, if anyone actually sincerely cares about the scandals around Activision & Blizzard they should be happy that they're being acquired and Kotick is getting removed. I think there's similar things happening at Ubisoft with the people responsible clinging to ownership despite attempts at takeovers but I think someone will eventually acquire them and a lot of the staff will cheer when Yves & co. are given the boot.

Mierenneuker posted:

Crucible indeed got cancelled after a closed beta, which the company that owns Twitch somehow barely promoted. I think their MMO New World did really well at launch tho. The playerbase has seen a hefty drop since then, because of the usual folks getting bored after a month plus the insane grinders not finding enough end-game content. Also, the game was a CLUSTERFUCK of development from start to the current day which has produced baffling bugs, glitches and server gently caress-ups. I think anyone still playing that game is in some kind of unhealthy relationship with it.

I've had experiences with SteamCharts in the past where they were clearly not accurate, but here are their stats on New World: https://steamcharts.com/app/1063730#3m

On one hand you love to see it but on the other you know it's the devs that suffer and not Bezos.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It outsold the 360.

Came back hard in the tail end of the generation yeah. But most of the world won't even consider buying an Xbox.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Hell look at the PS4 library, a good chunk of it is just PS3 remasters and remakes.

:dafuq:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SUNKOS posted:

Hell look at the PS4 library, a good chunk of it is just PS3 remasters and remakes. That's even what the PS5 launched with. The PS3 had a lot of great output that is still relied on to this day. They scoffed at backwards compatibility and insisted nobody wants to play old games but they have milked the hell out of remasters/remakes and even bought a studio that specializes in them.

Video game publishers are beginning to discover what music industry owners have known for decades... Just remaster/re-release your back catalogues unto eternity for very little overhead instead of risking millions on projects that aren't guaranteed to sell.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I bought PS3 purely for the aesthetic and I'd do it again

exquisite tea posted:

Video game publishers are beginning to discover what music industry owners have known for decades... Just remaster/re-release your back catalogues unto eternity for very little overhead instead of risking millions on projects that aren't guaranteed to sell.

Yeah Sony are the largest or maybe second largest music label in the world they know how to play the game

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Yup. Movie industry too with HD/4K/HDR etc. and of course Director's Cuts, which are now coming to gaming as well.

Speaking of, it's a cult classic so I don't know if anyone else cares but when Killer7 was released for PC a couple years back Suda 51 said he wanted to remake the game with the remaining 60% (I think?) of the script and I know it's highly unlikely but I hope Capcom lets him do it. Would be nice to see his original vision for Shadows of the Damned be realized as well.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It didn't sell 8 million like that former dev claimed, he admitted he was looking at like psnprofiles.con trophy stuff to get those numbers, forgetting that the game was free on PS plus and also still free in the PS plus collection.

And in case anyone is confused like I was, No this isn’t the guy who said that if you really love a game you should pay full price for it. No, that was the co-director, John Garvin, the latest Days Gone sales rant with incorrect numbers is from Days Gone director Jeff Ross.

It’s a total mystery why Sony wouldn’t order a sequel with such level-headed leadership at the helm of the first game!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Well, there’s TLOU Remastered, and, uhhhh……Scholar of the First Sin? I dunno man

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the main games the PS4 will be remembered for were not PS3 remasters

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zerot posted:

I genuinely don't see how this acquisition rises to antitrust levels of concern. In terms of revenue doesn't this deal make Microsoft the... third largest game company? I think arguing that this deal hinders competition in any way is a stretch. Microsoft acquisitions also tend to make the games they now own more accessible. People will be able to play future Call of Duty games for $15 on their phones with Game Pass. That's incredible.

lol

Disney bought Fox for 71 billion, an acquisition the scale of which is broadly appreciated as *extremely hosed up*

AT&T tried to acquire T-Mobile for 40 billion and it was blocked for similar reasons ie being *extremely hosed up*

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, if anyone actually sincerely cares about the scandals around Activision & Blizzard they should be happy that they're being acquired and Kotick is getting removed. I think there's similar things happening at Ubisoft with the people responsible clinging to ownership despite attempts at takeovers but I think someone will eventually acquire them and a lot of the staff will cheer when Yves & co. are given the boot.

Actually, the acquisition does a pretty good job of accomplishing the exact opposite, it papers over the whole thing and any progress that was being made to bring other poo poo to light, tamps down labor, shuffles everybody around, and gives huge payouts to bad actors.

On the bright side some creative people may actually get a chance to work on poo poo that isn't COD.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Yup. Movie industry too with HD/4K/HDR etc. and of course Director's Cuts, which are now coming to gaming as well.

I mean, it's sort of fair in that case. VHS and DVD translated the detail of experiences people had in theaters 30 years prior to a shockingly poor degree, and HDR makes up for the change in technology towards flat panels that have inherent flaws despite their convenience.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

lol

Disney bought Fox for 71 billion, an acquisition the scale of which is broadly appreciated as *extremely hosed up*

AT&T tried to acquire T-Mobile for 40 billion and it was blocked for similar reasons ie being *extremely hosed up*

Both of those acquisitions either made the resulting merger nearly the biggest in their industry or would have if allowed to happen. It's not antitrust because the numbers are big.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zerot posted:

Both of those acquisitions either made the resulting merger nearly the biggest in their industry or would have if allowed to happen. It's not antitrust because the numbers are big.

You're being silly, dude.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

They seemed to be getting at that totally dollar amounts are only somewhat related to an anti-trust which is true. Microsoft will probably argue, that there are still plenty of other publishers, and that they don't sell their games exclusively through the Microsoft store/game pass, and as this take off is being talked about by Microsoft as being about getting into mobile game, they'd probably argue they don't even publish exclusively on windows/x-box.

Seems like they should have an easy argument at least in the US. EU seems like they're stricter about this stuff.

Oh and I'm not arguing that these giant companies is a good thing, just that the deal will likely be allowed as far as I can see.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Oh and I'm not arguing that these giant companies is a good thing, just that the deal will likely be allowed as far as I can see.

Yeah, no doubt about that, in the current environment.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SUNKOS posted:

lol, certainly a take
They'll never recapture the glory days of Way of the Warrior and that Lord of the Rings knockoff with the nude code

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The PS3 was like the gaming equivalent to those statue legs in the desert in the Ozymandias poem. Just pure loving hubris after the PS2 convinced Sony execs they could do anything they wanted and people would lap it up. Literally "we think people will get a second job to afford our console"
They made sure to make the most expensive console that people would have to get second jobs for right before the second worldwide great depression

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It outsold the 360.
It lost to a jumped up gamecube with primitive motion control (not even a gyro!)

Compare PS2 sales to gamecube sales and it's hilarious just how far they fell.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Big Xbox is good for American national security imo it will be allowed.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Maybe! I'm going to be interested in seeing what experts have to say on this. When people were tossing antitrust accusations with the Bethesda acquisition it was pretty laughable, but this is more based in reality even if I don't currently see it.

I think it will be hard to get regulators to block this. I think it is pretty small in the context of the entire video games industry even if it is likely the biggest deal in terms of impact since... Time Warner buying Atari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I definitely expect the us government to step in and save me from unrestrained capitalism. Any minute now.