Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

midnight lasagna posted:

Any advice on how to play a sneaky stealy charatcer in Morrowind? This is only my third playthrough and I'm still pretty clueless at this game, and I'm also used to Skyrim where sneaking is the meta and the crouch button makes you invisible. I've got the Morrowind Code Patch with all the bugfixes enabled and the pickpocket overhaul, otherwise everything is vanilla besides a mod for higher draw distance.

Character is going to be a sneaky Nord girl, chosen as Nerevarine by Azura specifically to humiliate the Tribunal as much as possible. The Dark Elves hosed up so now one of their most hated enemies gets to be the hero instead.

vanilla stealth is pretty much broken outside of using magic to make yourself invisible. this mod helps hammer whats there into something resembling a stealth system and from the little ive toyed with it it seems pretty functional and does what it says. stealth certainly feels improved while using it so i wouldn't recommend trying to do such a playthrough without it. this mod lets you temporarily extinguish light sources with ranged weapons and such. synergizes nicely with the first mentioned mod.

e:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

spellmake a high level chameleon for three seconds spell, and a high level boost security for three seconds spell

but yeh this is the pro strat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Grab Mantle while you're at it. Lets you climb up stuff kinda like Daggerfall and just a generally cool mod.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Mantle is loving rad

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Run north of I think Gnisis, get accosted by thieves, beat them up and take their 80 points Chameleon amulet

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
The telekinesis effect is brokenly good for stealing from a distance. Puts it right in your inventory.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thieving in Morrowind is definitely the most profitable thieving of any video game

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: nvm

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fencing in morrowind is, uh, less valuable

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Fencing in morrowind is, uh, less valuable

Counterpoint: every merchant is a fence

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

midnight lasagna posted:

Any advice on how to play a sneaky stealy charatcer in Morrowind? This is only my third playthrough and I'm still pretty clueless at this game, and I'm also used to Skyrim where sneaking is the meta and the crouch button makes you invisible. I've got the Morrowind Code Patch with all the bugfixes enabled and the pickpocket overhaul, otherwise everything is vanilla besides a mod for higher draw distance.

Character is going to be a sneaky Nord girl, chosen as Nerevarine by Azura specifically to humiliate the Tribunal as much as possible. The Dark Elves hosed up so now one of their most hated enemies gets to be the hero instead.

1. The early levels of sneak are way too slow to earn, and you basically need to grind by leaving your character stealthed at the edge of an npcs vision and going and doing something else for an hour.

2. It's more fun to get caught than reload. Learn where the evidence chests are.

3. Don't bother trying to pick pocket without mods. Your chances suck even at 100 sneak.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it's finally time to assault the dren plantation, break the camonna tong, and free all the slaves, 60+ hours into the game at level 103

also can all these dreamers shut up in towns i don't care about you i'm busy being queen bitch of the telvanni and doing poo poo like absorbing the entire mage's guild into my house after i loot a daedric realm

also other important things like finally getting into the cookie jar in my tower by sending my cook on a date and then i have to make the superbitch of a lich's resurrected wife gently caress off (no one else in the house would let me pawn her off on them, drat their common sense!)

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give it a go and it if all seems too painful I'll either try a sneak overhaul mod or build a different character. I wasn't great at sneaking in Skyrim even with how broken it was (player character having high sneak does not unfortunately make up for the player having no situational awareness) but I'll try my best!!!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Unmodded stealth rolls an internal d100 every 3 seconds and will randomly put you in and out of stealth. Enjoy!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm starting to think about my next Morrowind character, which I know will be a conjuration focused mage; someone a bit amoral, a little self centered, etc.

I wanted to ask about factions, though. Obviously the mage's guild and house Telvanni are the "wizard factions", but do they go well together on the same character? I've never played either much and I'm fine with choosing one but not the other if becoming the head of both at once would be a little jarring.

Maybe a mage's guild who also rises through House Hlaluu because greed is good?

Or maybe house Telvanni and also Dunmer temple?

I'm thinking of one of those two combinations, But what do y'all think?

Edit: self centered amorality might not suit the temple but otoh I I want to get far away from Balmora so I'm leaning Telvanni now.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 20, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm starting to think about my next Morrowind character, which I know will be a conjuration focused mage; someone a bit amoral, a little self centered, etc.

I wanted to ask about factions, though. Obviously the mage's guild and house Telvanni are the "wizard factions", but do they go well together on the same character? I've never played either much and I'm fine with choosing one but not the other if becoming the head of both at once would be a little jarring.

Maybe a mage's guild who also rises through House Hlaluu because greed is good?

Or maybe house Telvanni and also Dunmer temple?

I'm thinking of one of those two combinations, But what do y'all think?

Edit: self centered amorality might not suit the temple but otoh I I want to get far away from Balmora so I'm leaning Telvanni now.

It’s generally fine to be head of both. The archmage of the mage’s guild wants the telvanni dead but he only gives you that quest as basically an attempt for you to get yourself killed (and it’s not something you need to do or that the mage’s guild quests expect you to do). House Telvanni doesn’t super care. If you do the Telvanni mod package (Uvirith’s Legacy+Rise of House Telvanni) there’s actually some quests that expect you to be head of both.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mages Guild and Telvanni are at odds and both have a few quests where you kill members of the other but if you play your cards right you can avoid any major conflicts.

My current character is head of both.

Dunmer Temple doesn't fit very well with Telvanni as they're the least pious Great House. The temple headquarters in Telvanni territory are in a dusty storage room in the basement of the Telvanni council house in Sadrith Mora. They complain a lot about the Telvanni mages not caring about religion* and deliberately putting them in the worst possible area for their work.

*Most of the Telvanni leaders are 1000+ years old. The oldest is around 4000 years old, old enough to remember the time before the Tribunal were gods.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 21, 2022

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
OTOH throughout the Telvanni questline you're seen as an up-and-coming reformer candidate being molded by one of the most politically active Telvanni masters, so anything can really be made to work. You're there to shake up their status-quo, not to reinforce it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
In my last Telvanni playthrough I went with Temple also under the justification that as a foreigner it wouldn't hurt to make outward appearances of assimilating or at least respecting local customs. Other factions might tolerate a Temple-friendly Archmagister better, and what are the other Telvanni going to do about it? If you're Archmagister it's because you can kill everyone else so they just gotta suck it up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm doing a Telvanni/Temple character right now, an Orcish mage-priest who is fascinated by the teachings of Sotha Sil. I think it works well lore-wise and has some cool roleplay opportunities. Sotha Sil is the patron of House Telvanni, the Nerevarine has a special connection to Azura, who is Sotha Sil's anticipation, and there is a Temple presence in House Telvanni. You also work closely with Aryon, who is one of the less anti-Temple Telvanni mages. So my character is basically a Temple plant in Telvanni. Since the Telvanni obey power above all else, the Temple realizes if they get a member high up in the house they may be able to enforce Temple law on things like necromancy and relations with vampires. Then they send the unpopular Orc outlander to do it, because nobody cares if he dies.

I'm also pretty fascinated by the historical connection between Dunmer and Orsimer. They're both Altmer changed into other forms by Daedra, and both have a historic connection to Boethiah and Malacath. The game doesn't explore it much but it's cool to think about while playing.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh also Tamriel Rebuilt adds some fun little conflicts if you do both!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does Tamriel Rebuilt have anything like a main quest, or even just a one of several "big quests" I could choose instead of the main quest?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Iirc it's several questlines.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How's the general power curve and difficulty of TR if I really enjoyed MDMD and BtSH?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dunno, I found that your prob gonna wanna bail out of some lines and pick a new home town after a while if you go south when you get off the boat. They tend to spike in difficulty. There tend to be a variety of difficulties for the quests that aren't full huge lines, and some quests are harder or easier depending on choices you make.

Some regions are extremely rich in good wild forage, like hackle lo groves instead of lone plants.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

How's the general power curve and difficulty of TR if I really enjoyed MDMD and BtSH?

I would say it's comparable to normal MW in consistency but generally skews a bit higher. It trusts its audience to be people that know the base game so it isn't afraid to throw more challenging opponents at you, and some of the enemies are pretty nasty, but it's always pretty well signposted.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

A little higher but that will change soon as the hlaalu lands are pretty explicitly high level.

In terms of quests there are a few quest chains people love, the old ebonheart thieves guild, akamora fighters guild, and almas thirr temple chains are all 8ish quests long and great

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've started a pretty heavily modded playthrough ((at least quest/features, finally stopped my brain from caring about super high res texures and went vanilla+ for that) as a caster for the most part. Using MULE which is fantastic for leveling, and mostly using spells but have sneak and spear as favored skills too cause why not do the thief and morag tong guild quests as a mage. The MWSE stealth mod from mort is pretty great, and if the light system can ever be made to work really well I'll definitely do another playthrough as more of a full thief with marksman or something. Never really played a mage but with quick cast from the MCP and Telvanni mods it's very cool so far.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

A little higher but that will change soon as the hlaalu lands are pretty explicitly high level.

In terms of quests there are a few quest chains people love, the old ebonheart thieves guild, akamora fighters guild, and almas thirr temple chains are all 8ish quests long and great
Which one is the Temple questline that eventually leads you into the ancestral crypt under the city or something? I remember liking that one and accidentally doing in on both of my TR playthroughs because on the second one I forgot I'd played it before until halfway through.

Though I think at the end the villain disables player movement and both times I had to re-enable it with the console lol (this was like most of a decade ago though)

Edit: Ranyon-Ruhn

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
this conversation is making me want to do TR, maybe i'll see how it is after I do all the rest of the vanilla content+expansions like i haven't done already

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

this conversation is making me want to do TR, maybe i'll see how it is after I do all the rest of the vanilla content+expansions like i haven't done already

Terrible time to do it imo, start there with a new character and play from level 1

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Just beat the game and have invincibility armor and a sword of elf murder +9, let's check out this new land balanced like the old one

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mbt posted:

Just beat the game and have invincibility armor and a sword of elf murder +9, let's check out this new land balanced like the old one

that's the thing, i'm really just interested in seeing how it fits in with the mods and quests I already have going on with the house telvanni stuff and all that

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

that's the thing, i'm really just interested in seeing how it fits in with the mods I already have going on with the house telvanni stuff and all that

The telvanni specific stuff is 15 years old and slated to be redone some day. dont be surprised if it's not nearly as fun as the other mods

It doesn't even really have an ending, the plans for it are cool but their implementation is really confusing. This was back when they refused to touch vanilla and had a separate faction for Mainland Telvanni

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Idks about TR beyond it's basic premise (mainland!), Does it natively include stuff like purchasing property in the new towns?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mbt posted:

The telvanni specific stuff is 15 years old and slated to be redone some day. dont be surprised if it's not nearly as fun as the other mods

It doesn't even really have an ending, the plans for it are cool but their implementation is really confusing. This was back when they refused to touch vanilla and had a separate faction for Mainland Telvanni

Okay, sounds like I should leave it for my next playthrough of Morrowind in 15 hours thanks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Idks about TR beyond it's basic premise (mainland!), Does it natively include stuff like purchasing property in the new towns?

not that I know of, but it does have a working bank in old ebonheart

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just want to join house Indoril and have every single person, except ordinators, hate me with good cause.

When are they gonna get to the Indoril factory?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I just want to join house Indoril and have every single person, except ordinators, hate me with good cause.

When are they gonna get to the Indoril factory?

Dead last, almalexia is a boondoggle

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
iirc the current plan is to scrap the entire Almalexia layout that's in preview and do it all over from scratch, while also cannibalizing and incorporating all of Tribunal into the new TR Almalexia. So it's going to be a ton of work they're putting off till the end?

Is the Telvanni re-do going to be before or after that? It's after everything is completely finished, right? I love the Telvanni stuff in TR but a lot of it really does show its age, especially how completely disconnected the ML Telvanni is from the Vvardenfell. They merged the factions in the faction-list but in storyline it's still basically two separate factions, and all the plot beats they sprinkle in about Rathra's ambitions and the current Archmagister not being seen for centuries goes nowhere.

Are they still doing that thing where Mouths are mind-wiped clones of the councilors? Are they still planning on making Gothren just another Magister? I worry when they do their revamp their new lore is going to deprecate a lot of the stuff in good mods like Uvirith's Legacy but the last conversations I saw about that were from like, 2016 on the website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If TR's Telvanni stuff is old, is the mage's guild stuff newer/better?