Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Some Guy TT posted:

If a person reading this thread didn't get it I can't imagine how any random newspaper reader was supposed to.

Uh... I do not know why someone thought that new avatar would be LESS... arresting than you previous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samovar posted:

Flash Gordon.

What? I don't read Flash Gordon, but I don't recall him looking like that?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

it's how he looks in the 80s movie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

someone awful. posted:

it's how he looks in the 80s movie.
I've been meaning to see that for years, but I never get around to watching movies.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 20, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 20, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 20, 1990)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
That redrawn first Crabgrass strip is pretty neat. It's always fun to see how an artist's style evolves as a comic goes on. It's not always for the better - I prefer the older Peanuts strips visually, for example - but Tauhid's updated style is clearly superior.

Vintage Valiant (May 08, 1949)

This is unfair to Oom, whose only crime is being a clumsy oaf. :colbert:

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 19, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiggum posted:

I've been meaning to see that for years, but I never get around to watching movies.

Well, smoke up and press play

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Maybe Rupert isn’t 100% vacant of substance. Years of playing rugged heroes on TV have given him a strong sense of cartoon right and wrong.

Too be fair, the idea that the Church of Satan might be a cult and it might be a good idea to leave isn't necessarily wrong.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I wish I was good at editing because this one seems ripe for it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I feel like Rupert is pretty much right here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Forget '80s Flash Gordon, how many folks in this thread have any idea who Dobie Gillis was, or could recognize Maynard G. Krebs by sight?

(Had a rush this morning, so no comics, alas.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why the gently caress is it colonoscopy week

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Forget '80s Flash Gordon, how many folks in this thread have any idea who Dobie Gillis was, or could recognize Maynard G. Krebs by sight?

They were names I recall having heard in passing. If you'd asked me yesterday who Maynard G Krebs was, there's a 75% chance I would have said "Old TV character" and a 25% chance I would have guessed, "an under secretary of state from the 60s who did war crimes."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Teen edition)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "514 - Jucika, As A Stylish Stewardess" NSFW Nudity

"515 - Jucika And The Melon Market"

Yes, that is a very off-model Jucika. This strip was likely unfinished by Pusztai and was inked and colored by other Lúdas Matyi magazine staff. "The editorial staff of this magazine informs with pain in our hearts that Pál Pusztai, cartoonist, died of heart failure on September 10th in Dubronik, Yugoslavia, at the age of 51." Pusztai's strips had been showing up less frequently, going weeks or even months between new Jucikas and I'm sure we all noticed the total absence of the Jucika and Husband dynamic in the last 30 or so. It ran from 1957 to 1970 with 514 officially published strips. I'd like to think Pusztai wouldn't let himself recycle jokes too blatantly and that as a man of integrity he recognized that he had made something good and it should end, though sadly he left this world before settling on when and how that should happen.

I'll post some extra Jucika stuff for a bit before I start from the beginning again for this year. Thanks for enjoying Jucika, goons.

"Interesting girl, this Jucika. People usually get in touch, when they are expecting more calm. When expecting much good from those whom they are contacting. Not so Jucika. She waited nicely until December, 1956. There was a strike then, no trams were in service, people had chaos in the heads. Till then, nobody knew her. But then she combed her shiny black hair, picked a nice dress, and got going. People turned their heads after her: "Is there such a thing?", "One can live so?", "Is there still somebody who can laugh this way?" "Aren't you ashemed? In these times?" - said a woman grumpily. But Jucika didn't care. She knew. That woman loved just her money, but not herself. Jucika loves life itself.

"What fine taste she has" said a small girl in a worn coat a bit later; and so that she could wear clothes like that later, she went back to the factory to work, from where she was dismissed by the hooligans. - This is a fine girl - said a boy too, looked at her longingly and "called" after her. But he had just bad from it, because Jucika told him her mind thoroughly. Her handbag, as it is for all women, is full of all knickknacks, but her head is not empty either. Her "cases" always end on a high note, often with a slap on the face landing on a flightly man. She is not religious, but she sacrifices a lot on the altar. On the altar of fashion Pposh but not lewd. An upstanding girl with a waist so small, it's barely noticable (pun in Hungarian: "upstanding" = "derék", but "waist" is "derék" too).

Her eyes laugh, sometimes sparkling with anger and nobody has such pretty eyes, still is often called cheeky (another pun: "eye" = "szem", "cheeky" = "szemtelen" (literally: without eyes)). Jucika is always nice, always just and never such as the bread in the groceries: she is always current (as in: of today, not yesterday's bread). Her dad may be proud of her: Pál Pusztai. György Máté"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Love Jucika, thanks for posting it.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

PainterofCrap posted:

Well, smoke up and press play

Holy poo poo, that's Brian Blessed in a winged helmet, sign me up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The doctor needs to be careful. Wouldn't want Ed to get brain damage.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Fighting Trousers posted:

That's his single most famous pop culture role.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I feel like Rupert is pretty much right here.

And "I'm not in a cult!" is just prime "that's exactly what someone in a cult would say!"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

"lack of long-term focus" is a real glass-houses situation here, Billingsley

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fighting Trousers posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1GjAz1p.mp4

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

I do because of Nick at Nite back in the day, which still makes me old, just not that old.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Calgon take me away!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Libby strikes again!

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I think this woman may be a tramp, or even a hussy!

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
RE: Encyclopedia Brown, I recall a mystery solved by the fact that a comb had hair on it (from the balding man combing it out). Although we have no idea what hair colors our suspects have.

Was there really a backlash against against disco, besides the usual "this was popular, now it's lame"? The demolition night is always brought up, but that seems like it has more to do with cheap beer than any hate. And it seems to be an isolated incident. My impression of disco is that it's one of those things that just wound up horribly dated, like its cousin the leisure suit.

Loved Jucika, just one question: in the "Budapest" panel, does she have a beaker or a liquor bottle on her head?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Cobalt-60 posted:

Loved Jucika, just one question: in the "Budapest" panel, does she have a beaker or a liquor bottle on her head?

"Hungary is extremely proud of their Academy of Sciences. I think they might also be taking the piss out of The Sorbonne and Istanbul University specifically"

I'm glad the twitters do all the work for me. :shobon:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Doomykins posted:

"Hungary is extremely proud of their Academy of Sciences. I think they might also be taking the piss out of The Sorbonne and Istanbul University specifically"

I'm glad the twitters do all the work for me. :shobon:

I'm pretty sure it supposed to be about that Hungarian dance with the bottle of wine balanced on the dancers' heads (which I learned about from Jucika in the first place).

It really was a wonderful comic. That rare thing of both horny and wholesome - something that I would ordinarily say was not possible.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Man, I'm going to miss Jucika.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cobalt-60 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBAmLn_ND3w

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cobalt-60 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/fGmU1rN.mp4

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Selachian posted:

I mean, me for 1, but I grew up watching Dobie Gillis on Nick at Nite in the 90s.

But I had assumed that Dwayne Hickman died years ago, along with Bob Denver

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sluggo watch out! That guy has his eyes closed!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

bitch you ain't even looked around yet

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks a lot for posting Jucika, Doomykins. It's one of my favorites from this thread and one I never skipped.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah jucika rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doomykins posted:

"The editorial staff of this magazine informs with pain in our hearts that Pál Pusztai, cartoonist, died of heart failure on September 10th in Dubronik, Yugoslavia, at the age of 51."

And now I'm in that weird spot of being sad to hear that someone has died, even though it happened many years before I was even born. (Is there a word for that?)

Thank you for posting Jucika, it's a delight.