Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's really easy to flip an SUV or pickup truck at speed, like shockingly easy. Even the small ones like the CRV just tumble like crazy as soon as you get sideways in some dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN6VS8RrTsY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I had to pop into the city today

On the bikeways I managed to keep an average speed of just under 20 kmph

I got into the city in under 20 minutes, my bike is now the fastest way for me to get into the city, bus ,car ( when you factor in parking time) or train

While I understand a sustained 20kmph is immediately beyond the reach of an average person on an average bike, and that with cargo this doesn't quite hold up

It's crazy that people can be against bikeway networks that democratise safe and efficient travel for the young, elderly , infirm and all others

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jestery posted:

I had to pop into the city today

On the bikeways I managed to keep an average speed of just under 20 kmph

I got into the city in under 20 minutes, my bike is now the fastest way for me to get into the city, bus ,car ( when you factor in parking time) or train

While I understand a sustained 20kmph is immediately beyond the reach of an average person on an average bike, and that with cargo this doesn't quite hold up

It's crazy that people can be against bikeway networks that democratise safe and efficient travel for the young, elderly , infirm and all others

With a pedelec style ebike that's pretty attainable and safe for most cyclists. as you say safe infrastructure is essential for many to be able to achieve that

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Cup Runneth Over posted:

love to traumatize some children with my horrific ad campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv1rKHGeMRk

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hrrrrnnggh officer I'm trying to drive around but I'm dummy thicc and the clap from my tailgate keeps alerting the other drivers

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my new favorite thing is how people are so Fuckin Mad about all the arterials being lowered to 25mph in the city that they angrily overtake you in the center lane if you try to abide by it.

fuckin morons.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Hrrrrnnggh officer I'm trying to drive around but I'm dummy thicc and the clap from my tailgate keeps alerting the other drivers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A representative in my state has introduced a bill that would prohibit restaurants and the like from providing service only to car owners.
:stoked:

https://twitter.com/typewriteralley/status/1483625733792559106?t=mgTnnr416BSqjm65aGAYIQ&s=19

SENATE BILL 5903 posted:

State of Washington
67th Legislature
2022 Regular Session
BySenators Billig and Rivers
AN ACT Relating to providing multimodal transportation options at drive-up services; and adding a new section to chapter 47.04 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 47.04 RCW to read as follows:
(1) Any drive-up service open to motor vehicle traffic, whether publicly or privately operated, must allow other multimodal transportation alternatives to access the services. However, if it is determined that a traffic safety hazard exists by mixing motor vehicle traffic with nonmotor vehicle traffic within the same lane, an alternative lane or lanes must be made available for other multimodal transportation alternatives.
(2) For purposes of this section, "other multimodal transportation alternatives" include access for bicyclists, pedestrians, and other nonmotor vehicle modes of transportation.

Cugel the Clever has issued a correction as of 07:05 on Jan 19, 2022

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
You know what would be cool? If big rigs were even more dangerous

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mayor Dave posted:

welp im loving scared

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

A representative in my state has introduced a bill that would prohibit restaurants and the like from providing service only to car owners.

https://twitter.com/typewriteralley/status/1483625733792559106?t=mgTnnr416BSqjm65aGAYIQ&s=19

finaly!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

how about we train them to drive trains so they can just go to sleep and not run into things

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

one step forward

Mayor Dave posted:

two steps back

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Federal and state transportation policy is so universally bad that it seems like progress can only happen at the local level. But every time I look into a poorly designed street in my city it turns out it's controlled by state DOT.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

Let he who has not tried to go to a drive-through on foot while loaded throw the first stone.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
frankly, it is loving horseshit that you're not allowed to walk through the take-out window lane. yeah that's right, I called it what it is: A TAKE-OUT WINDOW LANE, NOT A DRIVE-THRU. You can do any number of things thru it, you shouldn't HAVE to drive!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

frankly, it is loving horseshit that you're not allowed to walk through the take-out window lane. yeah that's right, I called it what it is: A TAKE-OUT WINDOW LANE, NOT A DRIVE-THRU. You can do any number of things thru it, you shouldn't HAVE to drive!
But what if an irresponsible driver hits you!?‽ Clearly, we must maintain the ban on this dangerous behavior: driving biking/walking/scootering!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/1483433266094874626

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I did not know this thread was a thing. I just wanted to say that I walk a lot (I don't own a car) and a thing that I believe but cannot prove is that there are way more pedestrians and bicyclists hit by cars every year than statistics would indicate. I think I see someone hit by a car about every eighteen months or so--three of those times at the same intersection--and I think EMTs/police were only called for two of those.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
apparently, vision zero is just when you stop reporting the traffic fatalities that occur all the time. Who knew it was so easy!?

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I did not know this thread was a thing. I just wanted to say that I walk a lot (I don't own a car) and a thing that I believe but cannot prove is that there are way more pedestrians and bicyclists hit by cars every year than statistics would indicate. I think I see someone hit by a car about every eighteen months or so--three of those times at the same intersection--and I think EMTs/police were only called for two of those.

I want to say that when Google was starting their self-driving car experiment, they were finding that reported crash rates in the environments they were operating in (i.e. residential neighborhoods) were like half of what they were experiencing because people don't report all sorts of low speed/cost/damage crashes.

I've been hit by two cars in 20 years of riding, both times just tapped at <5mph with no fall/injury and I didn't report them even though the drivers stopped and were apologetic, and I'd say there's probably a lot of similar stories that unfortunately underrepresent the danger of cars in the statistics.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BeeSeeBee posted:

I want to say that when Google was starting their self-driving car experiment, they were finding that reported crash rates in the environments they were operating in (i.e. residential neighborhoods) were like half of what they were experiencing because people don't report all sorts of low speed/cost/damage crashes.

I've been hit by two cars in 20 years of riding, both times just tapped at <5mph with no fall/injury and I didn't report them even though the drivers stopped and were apologetic, and I'd say there's probably a lot of similar stories that unfortunately underrepresent the danger of cars in the statistics.

Yeah I was gently struck by a car once as a pedestrian, because I was crossing in front of someone turning right and he was so busy looking for oncoming cars that he didn't bother looking back the other way before hitting the gas, and bumped straight into me in front of his car. I was fine and in a hurry to get somewhere and he was apologetic, so of course that was the end of it, just another unreported minor collision.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BeeSeeBee posted:

Oh, I'm not even counting just getting touched by a car like that. The last one I saw was a car cutting in front of a bicyclist where the bicyclist tab into the front side of the car and flew over the hood.

Like, by that measure I've been hit by a car a couple of times. I'm definitely thinking at a minimum getting knocked off your feet for what I'm counting.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I was biking along in a park outside Orlando, coming back from the trails and going over a little road bridge to the parking lot. I watched the fancy white convertible in front of me (top open!) thwack one of the old ladies walking on the right of the bridge across the back of her elbow with it's passenger mirror. She cried out audibly as her arm shot up in the air and the car punched it and drove away.

I dunno man maybe she had it coming.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
the last time i ever drove was over ten years ago when i was helping a friend move, they didn't have their license so i was driving a u-haul and i was so scared of operating this enormous vehicle. i came to an intersection and was too busy looking for an opening in the car traffic that i didn't notice i was inching forward into the bike path and someone ran into me and chewed me out. i was so ashamed that i just stopped driving after that and now i am that cyclist, cursing at people who block the bike lanes

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Petanque posted:

i was driving a u-haul and i was so scared of operating this enormous vehicle

lol this experience is so real. almost my first time ever driving anything bigger than a sedan and I also had my car towed behind it as I drove cross country for ten hours. loving nerve wracking but it was the cheapest possible option

nothing happened tho aside from me taking a nap on the side of the road when I felt I was too tired to safely continue driving. doubt I would ever willingly do it again though

I've had two walking-speed collisions with my foot on the brake pedal. one was at a highway on ramp with a light where I got bored and was inching forward to pass the time, I don't remember why. I zoned out a little and lightly nudged the back of the truck in front of me. eyebrows flew up, guy turned to look at me through his rear window, then drove off.

2nd time was entering a traffic circle. I turned my head to check oncoming traffic from the highway exit ramp to my left, easing forward at the same time, lady in front of me didn't budge even though it was clear, I lightly tapped her. naturally, she filed a police report and sued

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Jan 20, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1484027271753183234?s=20

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Get hit by a car: oh geeze I'm so sorry I was in the way.

I thought Canadians were the polite ones where is her gun!.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
There’s a LIGHT SHINING ON THE REPORTER! Like, how the gently caress is that person allowed to drive if they can’t see that?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

oops this was just posted lol

I will say though that Uhauls give me a rush, because I know I'll absolutely demolish any car that gets in my way. This must be how suburban guys with big trucks feel every day.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Boywhiz88 posted:

There’s a LIGHT SHINING ON THE REPORTER! Like, how the gently caress is that person allowed to drive if they can’t see that?

there were flashing lights in the other direction. Drivers love to stare at flashing lights: they might get to see blood!!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
the people normally tailgating everybody for daring to go only 10mph over the limit must slow down and see the crash on the other side

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Boywhiz88 posted:

I bet you money that it was deliberate

You can see the truck slightly turn into her direction to give her a good bump

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the bitcoin of weed posted:

any car is a mountain car with proper tires, unless it's some old busted piece of poo poo without enough torque to drive uphill. i would still rather take a bus
false. at high altitude a naturally aspirated engine will poo poo all over itself

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it'll have less power at altitude but otherwise be fine unless it's a carbureted motor tuned for sea level, in which case it'll run really rich. this can be fixed with a screw driver

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
less power like a total inability to climb any hill

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you're right, it is impossible for a naturally aspirated car to climb any hill at altitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you're right, it is impossible for a naturally aspirated car to climb any hill at altitude
that is correct. cars can rapidly descend a cliff at any altitude however.