Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How the hell do you spend $20K on a lab-grown diamond?

AITA for reading my daughter's diary and then planning to kick her out like she apparently wants?

Daughter depressed, so what.

Also, if the daughter's an adult, what the gently caress are you doing in her space, OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Spalec posted:

What percentage of people do you think could tell the difference between a natural diamond, a lab grown synthetic and a cubic zirconia? Without specialized equipment, just looking at it with the naked eye.

I bet it's less then 1%.

Having recently bought a lab grown, I would say between 0% & 0% can recognise a natural vs lab grown, even with a loupe.

Cubics you can absolutely recognise with a good halogen light. The colour it gives off is less 'white' and more 'rainbow'.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

Don't forget filling it with ~2000 Nazi corpses.

The missing missing reasons are longer than this post:
AITA for punishing my son for the arguement with my brother in law?

Man that reads like abuse and i dont like it

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Uncle Enzo posted:

I have access to a certain engine of almost unlimited power. I can make anything. Do I make a LOTR castle out of diamonds? A model of my entire city, building for building? No, I'll make a lovely overweight underarmed Nazi battleship that couldn't shoot down the biplanes that torpedoed it.

I have no clue how Minecraft works but if you could make an extremely detailed reenactment of the sinking of the Bismarck that would actually be pretty cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Man that reads like abuse and i dont like it

It reads like abuse because the kids are having a very extreme reaction to... something that is not in the post

Also, what hospital?

vvvvvvvv Go all the way with the Carrie prank by locking the doors and setting the place on fire

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 19, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for making a joke at a wedding and triggering SIL and MILs friend?

quote:

MIL got married over the weekend. It was a lot of drama because originally we weren’t going to go due to some things she said about me and due to the fact the groom literally said she didn’t want us there, but SIL convinced us. For what it’s worth I’m 80% sure SIL was lying and MIL didn’t want us there.

The groom is someone she knew in high school who literally despised her and neither of them try to hide that. They hated each other so much she tried to get him arrested once for something she made up. I think it’s kind of weird they’re getting married but not my business.

When she put the dress on it was very low cut and someone made a joke about they see why he’s marrying her now. I added that what if he isn’t marrying her and this is just elaborate pay back. MIL wasn’t offended. To be clear she makes fun of me pretty much every time she talks to me and it takes a lot to offend her.

I added I hope he pours pigs blood on her at the altar like Carrie. MIL said he wouldn’t because the sex was too good (so she was NOT offended) I shook my cherry juice towards her with the lid ON and honestly I was enjoying the fantasy it was some revenge scheme but obviously I wasn’t being serious.

Out of no where SIL began calling me a stupid bitch and telling me to shut up and I’m trash and I ruined her family. MIL just laughed and MILs friend told me to stay away from MIL and put my juice away or she would crash out housewarming and destroy my new house. MIL laughed but SIL began screaming again and told me to get the gently caress away from her mom.

AITA when MIL literally could not care less?

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

therobit posted:

I have no clue how Minecraft works but if you could make an extremely detailed reenactment of the sinking of the Bismarck that would actually be pretty cool.

you could build a snapshot, essentially, but without mods, multiblock structures can't move

once you place a block it stays right where it is unless you or something else breaks it

----

AITA for having my husband fired?

quote:

Can't believe I'm posting here but here I go.

I (29f) have an ex (34m), "Richard". Its been 3 years since we separated due to him being abusive and cheating, but we are not divorced as divorce is expensive in my country and whenever I apply for divorce Richard insists on meditation, so divorce is not granted as "one of us tries to save the marriage". He lives with his mistress and they have kid together that was conceived when we were still together. Due to both of them harassing and abusing me, I have a restraining order against both of them. My employer is aware of all of this as the utility company my ex works for supplies the buildings their offices are at (one of the major suppliers in the country)

Now to the actual events:

Due to restrictions everyone is currently working from home with a few days in the office. Richard decided to show up at my work with his kid and demanded to see me for "child support" money since we are still legally married. As my employer is aware of the situation, the reception refused to tell him if I'm in the office or not (I was) and asked Richard to leave. Richard did not and security was called. As he was with his child, security couldn't use force to remove Richard, so reception threatened to call the utility company he works for. Richard didn't believe the reception can do it, so long story short him and his mistress were fired with immediate effect as Richard showing up at my work has been seen as gross misconduct and they discovered Richard was his mistress boss (apparently his employer didn't know they were together and its strictly forbidden to have a relationship with someone who is directly employed by you). The utility company apologised for Richards actions and and gave a considerable discount for their services to make sure the news of what happened wouldn't spread.

Since they were fired I'm getting calls from unknown numbers of various Richards/his mistress family members and friends saying I'm responsible for it and just a jealous rear end in a top hat for getting them fired to get Richard back. We still have some friends in common and they believe him getting fired and loosing the only source of income they have is too harsh and I should of prevented that/shouldn't have spoken in the beginning about what happened.

Aita?

Edit: just not to repeat myself in the comments. His family believes it's okay to have several partners and be responsible for kids even they are from affair. And according to our friends in common he spreads a lie that I couldn't get pregnant (I don't want and never wanted kids) so his mistress helped us with that, but then I "overreacted" and called it cheating, so he had to stay with her to support the kid. Its the same as what he pulled in the court when we were getting divorce alongside with his "I still love her and should of communicated better" lies. So the court wouldn't grant a divorce as they believe he is trying to save the marriage and I'm being unreasonable.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Soylent Pudding posted:

The missing missing reasons are longer than this post:
AITA for punishing my son for the arguement with my brother in law?

I'm not a child development expert or anything, but if teenage girls are absolutely opposed to being around a certain adult man to the degree of breaking major household rules to avoid him, maybe you should pay attention. Especially if they're guarded about the reasons. That means the reasons are bad poo poo.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Mx. posted:

AITA for letting my sister's dog be a dog?

How I began reading this: Oh, yeah, I mean even at the boarding place I work at, the dogs usually just get yard time throughout the day, walks are extra outside of certain circumstances. As long as the dog gets outside to potty, that's the important part.

How I finished reading this: :stonk:

Definitely wasn't expecting "yeah I neglected my sister's dog, but so what? plenty of dogs get neglected!"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Chloe Jessica posted:

you could build a snapshot, essentially, but without mods, multiblock structures can't move

once you place a block it stays right where it is unless you or something else breaks it

----

AITA for having my husband fired?

Husband:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

haveblue posted:

Make the Bismarck model even more historically accurate by filling it with TNT and setting it off
That would unironically own. Build a big Nazi thing with all the swastikas and a big array of button-press cannons to blow it all to hell.

e: Release on youtube or tiktok or whatever is the minecraft video platform of choice with "Historically Accurate <nazi thing> in Minecraft (gently caress the haters!!!)" and watch the chuds get real mad in the comments.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 19, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

That lady wrote 2 paragraphs and almost no information was conveyed. Why don't her kids want her boyfriend there? who is in the hospital? what was the argument about!

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 19, 2022

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

haveblue posted:

It reads like abuse because the kids are having a very extreme reaction to... something that is not in the post

Also, what hospital?

I couldn't resist and searched it up. She 100% is covering up abuse, of all kinds probably, and is trying to will herself ignorant of it. Hopefully the sister will get the eldest son and get the kids some loving help, because mom sure isn't going to.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how her instinct is to punish her kids without even knowing what's going on. A child is behaving in a way you don't understand? Punish.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Naming a child Kam is punishment.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for making breakfast way before my kids wake up?

quote:

Usually on weekends my husband and I make more elaborate breakfasts compared to weekdays when it’s like cereal/fruit to-go. Recently my kids (14M, 16F) have been complaining that by the time they wake up the food is cold and unappealing. My husband and I wake up at 5AM and after our morning jog and breakfast prep, everything is usually hot and ready to eat at like 7AM. My kids wake up at 9AM. I told them to either wake up early or suck it up and eat cold/microwaved pancakes or casserole.

They say I’m in the wrong. I personally like to get the cooking done early on so I can start my house chores and don’t like to on an empty stomach. I don’t care when they wake up on the weekends, it’s just an inconvenience for me on top of my already long list of chores/responsibilities I need to complete that day, to wait until they do get up. It’s a favor in the first place and I don’t think they have a right to make a fuss about it, they’re free to remake it themselves when they get up. AITA?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Funktastic posted:

wow what a head scratcher, I see why they needed help

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Funktastic posted:

Teenagers, well known for waking up early.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

Cubics you can absolutely recognise with a good halogen light. The colour it gives off is less 'white' and more 'rainbow'.

Even my "nice" jewellery is cubic zirconia. I genuinely like the way it flashes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Funktastic posted:

LOL these kids are both nerds (for waking up at 9AM on a Saturday) and spoiled.

Get up at noon and eat lunch like a normal person.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Funktastic posted:

This lady is not only wrong but messed up in the head. Why go through the trouble of making a nice meal just to let it sit out cold?? For whose benefit is the meal? Not the kids certainly.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Funktastic posted:

Lady, you lucked into not just one, but a pair of teenagers that not only exist before 11am, but do so willingly. Why are you trying to gently caress this up for yourself???

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well these are not the takes I expected lol, they're 14 and 16 they can heat up pancakes

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Uncle Enzo posted:

For whose benefit is the meal? Not the kids certainly.
I assume her and the husband also eat food.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
im of two minds because yeah the kids are old enough to reheat breakfast but at the same time there's no real reason they should have to

if you're not prepared to adjust your schedule for your kids, don't loving have kids

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

honestly at their ages there's no reason she should be making them breakfast at all

they can wake up when they want on the weekends and make themselves breakfast, you don't have to make them every meal or eat it together

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Chloe Jessica posted:

im of two minds because yeah the kids are old enough to reheat breakfast but at the same time there's no real reason they should have to

if you're not prepared to adjust your schedule for your kids, don't loving have kids

they are teens, if they want pancakes, they can get up. i know i would not have cared enough to get up early for that, and just having some to reheat would be great.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

honestly at their ages there's no reason she should be making them breakfast at all

they can wake up when they want on the weekends and make themselves breakfast, you don't have to make them every meal or eat it together

I mean, aside from the whole being a parent thing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

I mean, aside from the whole being a parent thing.

14 and 16

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I am a member of the elaborate weekend breakfast club and cooking starts when I am awake and ready to cook. I don't have kids but my girlfriend or any other guest can sleep in as long as they like and re-heat food as desired. If the teens don't like it the Mom should teach them how to cook.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Rearranging your entire schedule so your kids aren't minorly inconvenienced isn't great parenting in my opinion. It's not like she's failing to provide for them, she's just not providing for them in exactly the manner they want in this one specific instance.

If it was like a pattern of not taking them to places they want to go, not buying them anything, all the meals being weirdly scheduled, etc. that's an issue, but all the evidence we have is about weekend breakfast.

Also as soon as I read this one I knew it was going to be a pages long derail. It's the short ones with little detail that do it best.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Oh, wasn't aware being a parent ended then.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Rescue Toaster posted:

The cost of them is artificially dragged up by the grotesquely-artificially-inflated natural diamond market. Maybe they could turn a profit on a diamond 20% the cost of a 'real' one, but they can turn a much better profit at 60-80%, so why not?

I remember reading an article around 15-20 years ago about some of the people working on the early artificial diamond processes and doing full on counter-espionage never drive the same route to work twice type poo poo because they were so legitimately worried about being killed by DeBeers. So they've earned it I guess. I think the same article mentioned someone bribing a warehouse worker to take a look at one of the DeBeers stockpiles and it was Indiana Jones warehouse style full of old rotting crates and literal tons and tons of diamonds spilling out on the floor like garbage.

There was an old sci-fi book with an extremely realistic premise of a ship going to investigate an asteroid approaching the earth that appeared to be one solid giant diamond, and there was a saboteur onboard hired by DeBeers. Wish I could remember the book title.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yes but on the other hand teenagers that are up at 9 am on a weekend

I would certainly suffer a minor inconvenience to nurture that.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I mean word my mom tried everything to get me up before noon on weekends, but no dice I'm lazy as hell.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Uh no by 14 and 16 the whole adjusting your whole schedule to feed your kids thing is no longer an expectation. The fact there's food waiting they can reheat at any time is awesome and in fact allows the kids the most freedom with their schedule, demanding their mom be an on-call diner cook for them is not ok. What the hell, thread.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 19, 2022

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

"Just shift your entire routine by 2 hours because we don't want cold food. Yes we'll still eat the food, this isn't about us starving. No we will not get up earlier, this is us demanding you shift things by several hours for the sake of our food temperature. We are very grateful children. If you didn't want to cater to our every whim then you shouldn't have had children!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she should just have Enrique make them breakfast

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Scene, kitchen. Time, Saturday. Charles Get-Out, 15, and walks into the kitchen at 1pm.

"Oh good, you're up! I made some pasta salad it's in the fridge if you're hungry"

"Cool thanks mom"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

Oh, wasn't aware being a parent ended then.

pouring my driving age child's milk into their cereal in the morning