Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I played the NES version at my friends until we were too nintendo-eyed to keep going.
My Pizza Hut had the stand-up version in its vestibule through my entire middle school experience. My paper route was on the block the pizza hut was on, so lots of the change I got on collection night ended up in that thing.

Also an [ended in the] 80s thing: Paperboys, as in middle school kids, that delivered papers into your door, and then collected cash money for your subscription every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my pizza hut had a cocktail cabinet of the Goonies arcade game. what an artifact. I wonder if any still exist.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

stealie72 posted:

Also an [ended in the] 80s thing: Paperboys, as in middle school kids, that delivered papers into your door, and then collected cash money for your subscription every week.

Ours was a part-time bully and budding gently caress-up. I was always a little disappointed that he didn't do his route on a bmx with mag wheels, like in the nes game i sunk countless hours into.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Ours was a part-time bully and budding gently caress-up. I was always a little disappointed that he didn't do his route on a bmx with mag wheels, like in the nes game i sunk countless hours into.
Ha, I did mine on a bmx in the summer. But not with mag wheels.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Good 80s song to bone to.
Gowan, Moonlight Desires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERgQ4KjSahg

Speaking of boning, whenever this song comes on the radio, I can only think of Joey Jeremiah boning Tessa in the Degrassi Movie.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Weird thing is: in my hometown there's still one of these old former Pizza Hut buildings, but all the windows have been covered up from the inside and there's no business signage on it anymore. Every time I drive by it the lights are on and there's either a motorcycle or the same car parked in front of it the door on the side. I think someone's converted it into a house, and is living there?

Imagined has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Dec 10, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

the dream

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

Weird thing is: in my hometown there's still one of these old former Pizza Hut buildings, but all the windows have been covered up from the inside and there's no business signage on it anymore. Every time I drive by it the lights are on and there's either a motorcycle or the same car parked in front of it the door on the side. I think someone's converted it into a house, and is living there?

https://twitter.com/UTBAPH/status/1383157427579842566?s=20

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

no loving way it's actual address is 420 as well...too perfect

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Imagined posted:

All you'd really have to do is install a shower somewhere; but I can't imagine the cost of living there would be less than renting a house or an apartment. It would make a fantastic place to throw parties though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Would buy paint from the taint store.

Wonder if they'll boil there?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Does the Taint Store buy reaped taints, or are they sales only?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sales only I think.

Check your local store.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Someone used to rent out the upper floor of the Chuck E Cheese in my town and throw sad raves in it, to be fair being in a Chuck's as an adult feels way more depressing and sad obviously.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

DreadUnknown posted:

Someone used to rent out the upper floor of the Chuck E Cheese in my town and throw sad raves in it, to be fair being in a Chuck's as an adult feels way more depressing and sad obviously.

Playing ski ball in jncos and glowsticks knowing in your heart of hearts how lame it is

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Imagined posted:

Could be someone's Shawn Spencering it up in there, living their childhood dream.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

For a lark I searched as best I could, and those Pizza Hut stained glass fixtures just do not exist anymore.

You'd think there would be SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE selling one for an absurd sum of money on eBay...nope.

Maybe some repros? Nope.

Just a loving fake plastic knock-off? Nope.

Dear Yum, Inc (who I think still owns Pizza Hut?) if you're reading this:
Any money woes the Pizza Hut franchise has can easily be solved by finding whatever warehouse these were stashed in and selling them for like $300 a pop.

Though my guess is there is no warehouse...they were all tossed in dumpsters probably the early 2000's when they did a lot of large scale renovations and corporate re-design.

I'm sure there's got to be a few locations that never had them removed, so I guess if I want to own one I have to find them and just run it, snip it (hope to not get zapped by the electricity) and run out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ja2ke/status/930936861807206400?s=20
https://twitter.com/ja2ke/status/1030958985392713729?s=20
https://twitter.com/ja2ke/status/1110414609087762433?s=20

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Neito posted:

Could be someone's Shawn Spencering it up in there, living their childhood dream.

I noticed they put a bench swing on the side by the door now. Someone is definitely living in the Pizza Hut.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

For whatever reason I dont remember any of the Pizza Huts around me having those stained glass lamps. Probably was a choice by franchise owner(s), or just not part of the current style guide or whatever when they expanded into this area. I think there is still one of the classic restaurants still operating, the rest have downsized to delivery/carryout spots in strip malls, usually within a few blocks of the old location.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I just remembered Company Man did a pretty dope rundown of why Pizza Hut fell so far a few weeks/days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jobb8zW---c

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I could instantly smell this picture,

and it smells good.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
We had Pizza Inn at my town’s little mall when I was a kid in the 70s. Had those red plastic glasses and plastic pitchers of soda. Shakey’s was on the other side of town where you could watch them make pizzas in the kitchen through a big window. And they had a Pong machine

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

I could instantly smell this picture,

and it smells good.

it was the breadsticks, they were elite.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's hard to gently caress up the smell of bread dough, butter, and garlic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LifeSunDeath posted:

it was the breadsticks, they were elite.
Are you talking about rhe OG 80s breadsticka that were in the salad buffet? Thin, twisty, crunchy. They were amazing

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Neito posted:

I just remembered Company Man did a pretty dope rundown of why Pizza Hut fell so far a few weeks/days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jobb8zW---c

When I was a kid, we used to go to Pizza Hut all the time. I don't know why. None of us liked Pizza Hut but it was a close restaurant that everyone could at least put up with.

The juke box was a quarter for 5 songs. I'd put all 5 songs in as "Lean on Me". I'm sure I really irritated people. I just liked Bill Withers a lot when when I was a kid.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I still have that paneling.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hell, I think I had both 80s in the same house

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
People have accused Stranger Things of being cheap '80s nostalgia, but at least in season 1, I respected the hell out of them for nailing that "wood-paneled basement" '80s aesthetic rather than the neon Hollywood version.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It’s been a while since I’d seen it, but I think they kept it that way, leaving the neon stuff only for certain settings (i.e., the mall)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

PhotoKirk posted:

I still have that paneling.

That's not paneling, that's boiserie

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Lemming posted:

People have accused Stranger Things of being cheap '80s nostalgia, but at least in season 1, I respected the hell out of them for nailing that "wood-paneled basement" '80s aesthetic rather than the neon Hollywood version.
S1 was Weird ET so it was all kids POV of the era.

S2 was Weird Gov Facility and a mix of adult and kids stuff.

S3 was Weird Mall and leaned into the neon because yeah malls in the 80s.

S4 might be Weird High School. We'll see.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I think season 4 is the 90s?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I wasn't even trying to throw shade at the other seasons, they just covered somewhat more well-worn territory aesthetically.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Season 1 was three different 80s movies. The kids were in ET, the teens were in a slasher movie and the adults were in a government conspiracy thriller

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I totally remember going from brand new bright neon malls back home to the off white paint and wood paneling of my childhood homes.

There were malls that still had like the 70s brown tile look, which always to me suggested that was the bad mall, but they had the store that sold gi Joe's for 2bux while the toy store in the new mall had them for 3bux.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

I totally remember going from brand new bright neon malls back home to the off white paint and wood paneling of my childhood homes.

There were malls that still had like the 70s brown tile look, which always to me suggested that was the bad mall, but they had the store that sold gi Joe's for 2bux while the toy store in the new mall had them for 3bux.

Everyone remembers the neon and other "80's style" poo poo, but that stuff happens later in the decade, the first part is an extension of the 70's, so you get the wood paneling and red/yellow/brown skewed earth tones that were all the rage for houses built during that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah maybe it's because I'm from flyover country and it took a few years for culture to filter out to here back then, but all the vaporwave A E S T H E T I C stuff screams 1989-1992 to me.