Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i really like the ones that have robot familiars lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Knowing nothing about this show and whether they are actually good bots, or just had a good match, I definitely think the two bots that are sharing team members would be pretty short odds to go deep. Think it was Blip and Tantrum(?)

(Really wish OP had profiles for all the teams, that official website is complete rear end)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's a lot of collaboration and teams that have put in secondary bots without impacting the main one

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cool what went wrong in 2020 Witchdoctor video! Also a slowmo of them testing breaking a disc and watching how Witch Doctor reacts to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhaF5V3Xv04

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It reminded me of slow motion footage of people firing rifles and their barrels going all wobbly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

lol after watching this poo poo i fell down the robot battle youtube hole but i did find this very funny video of small Huge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM6nOQI2xf8&t=2478s

this whole video has a lot of funny poo poo in it

IIRC, there are several bots that work much better in smaller scale. I think I've heard Huge and Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee are actually contenders in the big tournaments for lower weight classes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The only other weight class I've seen Smeeeee in is the 3 pounders at NHRL and it's pretty much just a control bot. No active weapons and it's just a bar with wheels on the sides. 1 of the NHRL events, his active weapon was a flaming penguin in the corner of the box...

That being said, I'm sure the Battlebots version will have some success, 2020 it was just a rookie bot with plenty of work to be done to make it competitive!

Also might be interesting to see how it runs with the shelf & the 2 smaller areas of the arena.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, if he gets put into those corners he's stuffed, it'd take forever to get out of. I found out yesterday that the bot builders only found out about the shelf a week or two before filming so no one really had time to think about it or prepare for it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
the shelf is cool in theory imo, I don't love that it shrank the usable space of the battlebox though

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If they're going to change anything, split the shelf in half and put one in each corner. As it is it creates a blind spot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Yeah, if he gets put into those corners he's stuffed, it'd take forever to get out of. I found out yesterday that the bot builders only found out about the shelf a week or two before filming so no one really had time to think about it or prepare for it.

Maybe. But on the flip side, Smeeee is pretty close to the length of the width of those corners and probably could completely control / corral an opponent. If his little spinner things are effective it could be pretty interesting.

Although really, the bots biggest flaw is it's basically a multibot that is chained together... Might be interesting if he with a solid metal bar wedge like his lighterweight Smeeees are.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Maybe I'm just weird but I've always wanted a simple arena with no hazards. Just let them fight without any gimmicks getting in the way.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Looten Plunder posted:

Knowing nothing about this show and whether they are actually good bots, or just had a good match, I definitely think the two bots that are sharing team members would be pretty short odds to go deep. Think it was Blip and Tantrum(?)

(Really wish OP had profiles for all the teams, that official website is complete rear end)

Tantrum was a top 4 bot last year. It's almost indestructible and very fast. The guy who used to drive Tantrum is now driving Blip and he's really good. So yeah, there's both very strong contenders.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I want more gimmicks where nastier stuff shows up if all weapons are disabled or in the final minute

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Queering Wheel posted:

Maybe I'm just weird but I've always wanted a simple arena with no hazards. Just let them fight without any gimmicks getting in the way.

I do like that the killsaws have accidentally turned into a good fork/wedglet counter. Gotta do something to stop that meta from getting ridiculous.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Queering Wheel posted:

I tend to agree but mostly because they don't do anything, and it's annoying when the announcers pretend they will.

"Oh no, he's up on the screws!!!" *screws stop and turn around to let him off*

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The killsaws are the most effective hazards because they gently caress up the little wedgelets they have. Which from the interview with the Battlebots creator that Tale of the Tape last year, pretty much is the meta in the Brazilian Robotics...

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Queering Wheel posted:

meh. while i hate the excessive gimmicks seen in some other shows, i'm a little hesitant on an open battlebox. mainly because i think it's going to end up selecting for exactly one type of bot with zero ground clearance, probably a vertical spinner (even moreso than what happens now).

the screws might seem pretty useless right now and the shelf's utility remains to be seen, but at least as others have mentioned the killsaw slots are wedgelet traps. it was amusing too a season or two ago when the box was so badly damaged protruding metal pieces trapped or hosed over bots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should add some slight hills or elevation too. Varied terrain is more interesting and would mix things up

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They should add some slight hills or elevation too. Varied terrain is more interesting and would mix things up

they have the little round gopher bumps

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

If they're going to change anything, split the shelf in half and put one in each corner. As it is it creates a blind spot.

Tmk, the Shelf is also functional because it's placed in front of the judges and so having that be there means there's less of a likelihood of a bot or piece of one just getting slammed into the pane in front of them or even exploding for some reason

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Tantrum was a top 4 bot last year. It's almost indestructible and very fast. The guy who used to drive Tantrum is now driving Blip and he's really good. So yeah, there's both very strong contenders.

I currently view Blip as "Hydra, but more durable." I hope it lives up to that.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Chronojam posted:

I want more gimmicks where nastier stuff shows up if all weapons are disabled or in the final minute

I do want to see them address that too if only to avoid cripple bots having a push match for the next minute and a half.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

RBA Starblade posted:

This was my thought but I immediately realized that it would probably only serve to limit the viable drivetrain options. It's something I don't think about much because you can't really see it, but sometimes in a clinch you'll notice that one bot clearly has the superior drive power and/or traction and I realize how major that is for control. One of the builders also mentioned in a voiceover how 4WD has become a big part of the meta too. I'd be afraid that bots like Huge would get hosed over too much depending on the terrain. Though it'd be interesting for other design constraints, like I imagine Tombstone's design is not ideal if it's not totally flat.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

halokiller posted:

I do want to see them address that too if only to avoid cripple bots having a push match for the next minute and a half.

Thankfully, that seems to happen less and less each season.

Now, even the fights that get shunted off to youtube aren't shoving matches.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Up the weight limit to 70 tons, and use the NTC in Fort Irwin for the arena.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I totally forgot that they tried to stage a few giant robot fights, turns out they're all hilariously bad. I timestamped the "action".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkmufCkqi4&t=597s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ouLX8Q9UM&t=512s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ror posted:

I totally forgot that they tried to stage a few giant robot fights, turns out they're all hilariously bad. I timestamped the "action".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkmufCkqi4&t=597s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ouLX8Q9UM&t=512s

Lmao at fight 2

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cobalt got out of the UK

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hell yeah those last 3 fights are all bangers

(not the youtube one)

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 19, 2022

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The guy that built it had a kid and isn't involved - He sent Cobalt to the Gigabyte team to run this year

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Its gonna be really sad to see an obsolete ICEwave get its rear end kicked.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Hell yeah those last 3 fights are all bangers

(not the youtube one)

I don't think there's a fight I don't think could be good to be honest.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Is that the Gulf Oil livery on P1?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

howe_sam posted:

Is that the Gulf Oil livery on P1?

yep, same as it had in the bounty hunter fights it was in

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've just discovered there are 9 seasons of Battlebots on Netflix. I assume these are when it was ABC? My kids are gonna have a poo poo fit when they find out. Any recommendations? Should I just start with the most recent season and work my way backwards? (I'm assuming the show gets better as it goes along due to rule tweaks)tech advancements)

Edit: nevermind, there are 2 seasons and it says it started in 2016 so I assume it's current iteration and it's only season 1 and 2. Guess I'll start at the beginning.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 20, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Looten Plunder posted:

I've just discovered there are 9 seasons of Battlebots on Netflix. I assume these are when it was ABC? My kids are gonna have a poo poo fit when they find out. Any recommendations? Should I just start with the most recent season and work my way backwards? (I'm assuming the show gets better as it goes along due to rule tweaks)tech advancements)

Edit: nevermind, there are 2 seasons and it says it started in 2016 so I assume it's current iteration and it's only season 1 and 2. Guess I'll start at the beginning.

2 seasons and airing in 2016 would likely be the 2 ABC seasons. Doesn't appear that the show is on US Netflix though cause I don't have it? :(

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

2 seasons and airing in 2016 would likely be the 2 ABC seasons. Doesn't appear that the show is on US Netflix though cause I don't have it? :(

Yeah its international only. I think youtube is supposed to also have the non-ABC episodes because of whatever difficulty there's been between discovery and the foreign broadcasters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to see another extra-heavy barely mobile walker or crawler at some point, it's a fun idea even if the extra weight allowance is really just pity points