Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

McCloud posted:

That's a ludicrously disingenuous comparison and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

These loving people, all of them, are either living on a different planet or they all have severe COVID-induced brain damage.

quote:

Vi kender til corona en del corona og bør derfor kunne forlade et ekstremt forsigtighedsprincip til fordel for et princip om proportionalitet.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2022-01-18-mette-frederiksen-vil-gentaenke-coronahaandteringen-hvad-siger-de-andre-partier

You want that eugenics medium or well-done? Rare is off the menu entirely.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

McCloud posted:

This is their own text from the pdf i linked earlier, and my interpretation of that text is that "mäns våld mot kvinnor" is an umbrella term that includes violence where men are the victims. It further goes on to state that the "dilemma" with the term "våld i nära relation" is that it fails to highlight the violence against women in heterosexual couple relationships.

Kvartal is a poo poo rag by all indications, but it does seem that it's a case of a broken clock being right once a day. Going back to that original quote, if the purpose of the handbook is to criticize the term "mäns våld mot kvinnor" for including womens violence against men, then doesn't that quote from that interview contradict that?

Did I entirely misread that text from their handbook?

If you try actually reading the handbook in question and look a bit at the context instead of getting outraged at twitter screenshots then yes, it's very clear that you're completely missing the point. The handbook is mostly intended for civil servants in local government, and in this particular section it discusses where to start if you're about to initiate some kind of project that aims to reduce or prevent violence - and especially gender-related violence - in general. The first thing to do is of course to define what you even mean by "violence" and what specific kinds of violence you're seeing as part of your work, and so on. To help you get started with this process of creating a good definition of the problem for your particular situation, the handbook brings up some various terms that are thrown around a lot, defines them, and discusses the limitations of each of those terms. That's the context we're in.

So, with that in mind, these paragraphs are obviously descriptive, not prescriptive. The paragraph starts out with a very clear mission statement that should not be possible to misunderstand no matter how dense you are:

quote:

Ett våldsförebyggande arbete med genusperspektiv bör fokusera på att minska olika former av könsrelaterat våld, det vill säga våld som riktas mot kvinnor eller flickor på grund av deras kön eller som drabbar flickor och kvinnor oproportionerligt mycket.
Really, that could be the end of the discussion right there, but let's do some more reading comprehension training. The book now moves on to discuss the often-used and explicitly political umbrella term "mäns våld mot kvinnor", and says that since this term is defined as also including "våld i nära relationer", and the latter term is gender-neutral, then the definition is sort of paradoxical since it also includes its own inverse. It then goes on to discuss some other stuff that's also included in the definition and concludes by saying that "begreppet avser snarare att benämna olika former av patriarkalt motiverat våld i bredare bemärkelse".

I could go on, but seriously, it's blindingly obvious from even the tiniest bit of context that nothing about these sentences that Kvartal is getting mad about have anything to do with defining who is an abuser and who isn't. All they're trying to do is encourage you (as a civil servant) to think about these terms, their definitions and what aspects they're highlighting and hiding, when you're making your own definition of whatever you mean by "violence" in the context of whatever project you might be running. What the book is trying to tell you is that there are a lot of buzzwords being thrown around, and you should take care when defining the scope of your particular problem.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 18, 2022

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

McCloud posted:

So does domestic abuse fall under the umbrella of “Mäns våld mot kvinnor” or not?

The original editorial is stupid hot take and going bbb but MEN! is distracting from the core issue which is the structural oppression and violence against women by men that we call the patriarchy.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

You want that eugenics medium or well-done?

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Didn't your dumb rear end already catch it? Shut the gently caress up.

Maybe you'd get the point if you had any immunocompromised people in your close family.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 18, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

Didn't your dumb rear end already catch it? Shut the gently caress up.

Maybe you'd get the point if you had any immunocompromised people in your close family.

Okay, you really don't know what eugenics means. Maybe go check Wikipedia?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I can't read the underlying Swedish and Danish articles but could you guys discuss it without petty sniping about definitions and telling each other to stfu? Thanks

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zokie posted:

So does domestic abuse fall under the umbrella of “Mäns våld mot kvinnor” or not?

The original editorial is stupid hot take and going bbb but MEN! is distracting from the core issue which is the structural oppression and violence against women by men that we call the patriarchy.

As I'm reading it, yes, for some reason, all domestic violence is considered a subset of men's violence against women in the book's (or an underlying static method's) definition. The likely explanation is that men hitting women is and always has been more common, and no one wants to talk about it, especially when it's the other way round.

It sure sounds like a case of trying to explain a complex reality described by bad statistics in a way that is better than just accepting all terms at face value. And then of course a right wing rag picking it up and cherry picking it into ridiculous nonsense.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In more pressing news: they’ve started selling semlor and all their variations including, that wonderful glob of sin…kanelbullesemla.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rust Martialis posted:

just because you're unlikely to exterminate all the undesirables doesn't mean you're not attempting eugenics

fun fact: disabled people exist in modern day germany

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TheFluff posted:

If you try actually reading the handbook in question and look a bit at the context instead of getting outraged at twitter screenshots then yes, it's very clear that you're completely missing the point. The handbook is mostly intended for civil servants in local government, and in this particular section it discusses where to start if you're about to initiate some kind of project that aims to reduce or prevent violence - and especially gender-related violence - in general. The first thing to do is of course to define what you even mean by "violence" and what specific kinds of violence you're seeing as part of your work, and so on. To help you get started with this process of creating a good definition of the problem for your particular situation, the handbook brings up some various terms that are thrown around a lot, defines them, and discusses the limitations of each of those terms. That's the context we're in.

So, with that in mind, these paragraphs are obviously descriptive, not prescriptive. The paragraph starts out with a very clear mission statement that should not be possible to misunderstand no matter how dense you are:

Really, that could be the end of the discussion right there, but let's do some more reading comprehension training. The book now moves on to discuss the often-used and explicitly political umbrella term "mäns våld mot kvinnor", and says that since this term is defined as also including "våld i nära relationer", and the latter term is gender-neutral, then the definition is sort of paradoxical since it also includes its own inverse. It then goes on to discuss some other stuff that's also included in the definition and concludes by saying that "begreppet avser snarare att benämna olika former av patriarkalt motiverat våld i bredare bemärkelse".

I could go on, but seriously, it's blindingly obvious from even the tiniest bit of context that nothing about these sentences that Kvartal is getting mad about have anything to do with defining who is an abuser and who isn't. All they're trying to do is encourage you (as a civil servant) to think about these terms, their definitions and what aspects they're highlighting and hiding, when you're making your own definition of whatever you mean by "violence" in the context of whatever project you might be running. What the book is trying to tell you is that there are a lot of buzzwords being thrown around, and you should take care when defining the scope of your particular problem.

Hey thank you for taking the time to explain it in more detail, I genuinely appreciate it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kamrat posted:

Yeah I'm aware that Germany has a hosed up situation regarding their energy, but I don't think that would hinder them in any way if it's just a defensive army.
What good is your defensive army is germany’s component goes home the minute putin turns off the gas supply, after using the gas money to gently caress with whomever he likes in the first place. Germany needs nukes, period. Them not wanting them means they’ll be stuck importing either fuel or energy, and france is making plans to stand up a bunch of nuke power for precisely that purpose.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

In more pressing news: they’ve started selling semlor and all their variations including, that wonderful glob of sin…kanelbullesemla.

'Tis the season

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Hell yeah

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLWHm61JGR4/?utm_medium=copy_link

Shame I can’t embed IG links but worth a quick watch

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

evil_bunnY posted:

What good is your defensive army is germany’s component goes home the minute putin turns off the gas supply, after using the gas money to gently caress with whomever he likes in the first place. Germany needs nukes, period. Them not wanting them means they’ll be stuck importing either fuel or energy, and france is making plans to stand up a bunch of nuke power for precisely that purpose.

I don't know if you know this but there's more countries in the EU than Germany. But anyway about 20% of German power comes from gas-plants and if push came to shove they could turn off power for non-essential services, if it's wartime people are more willing to make sacrifices.

I do agree that Germany needs to look over their power situation ASAP though because them being Putin's little bitches doesn't help anyone, looking at this chart it looks like they're still using a lot of brown coal (the worst of all coals)

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Kamrat posted:

I don't know if you know this but there's more countries in the EU than Germany. But anyway about 20% of German power comes from gas-plants and if push came to shove they could turn off power for non-essential services, if it's wartime people are more willing to make sacrifices.

I do agree that Germany needs to look over their power situation ASAP though because them being Putin's little bitches doesn't help anyone, looking at this chart it looks like they're still using a lot of brown coal (the worst of all coals)

Didn't Germany literally finish construction of a new coal power plant just last year?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Feliday Melody posted:

Didn't Germany literally finish construction of a new coal power plant just last year?

They probably did, they have been making a lot of bad decisions when it comes to energy, whole towns destroyed just to get that sweet sweet coal.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

Læs indenad.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
NM, doesn't belong here.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 18, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kamrat posted:

It's not about power, it's about heating. 50% of German homes are heated by gas, and if that tap gets turned off you're talking some serious sacrifices.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not about power, it's about heating. 50% of German homes are heated by gas, and if that tap gets turned off you're talking some serious sacrifices.

Yeah you're probably right, Germany needs to get their poo poo in order. Get that famous German engineering going.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Fritz the Horse posted:

I can't read the underlying Swedish and Danish articles but could you guys discuss it without petty sniping about definitions and telling each other to stfu? Thanks

Okay, as far as I've been able to wrap my head around the issue :
Some right wing rag found a new guide book published by the Swedish Equality Authority and wrote an article about it. In their retelling, it appears that this new guide defines women abusing men as an example of men abusing women.

Upon a more nuanced reading of the actual guide, it seems that it uses the term "men's violence against women" as an entry-level way of thinking about the combined subjects of domestic abuse, misogynistic abuse etc. It also mentions that this umbrella term can cover or be similar to other types of abuse, such as abuse of minorities or (most eye-catching) women's abuse of men.

I think I get what they were going for ("we use this term as a catch-all because the vast majority of cases will actually be men doing violence to women") but the fact that the term then also covers its own exact literal opposite is just... Unfortunate as gently caress.

fnox
May 19, 2013

tbh that just reads to me like the Swedish bureaucratic incompetence I've grown to be accustomed to rather than some campaign against men.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kamrat posted:

Yeah you're probably right, Germany needs to get their poo poo in order. Get that famous German engineering going.

The heating will be done by a a body suit containing advanced mechanics which translates everyday body movement through miniature gears and sprockets into electricity via a piezoelectric mechanism that feeds a normal electrical heater. This suit will be custom produced to fit each citizen perfectly and will generate approximately 1.3674 extra sweaters worth of heat per person.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Zudgemud posted:

The heating will be done by a a body suit containing advanced mechanics which translates everyday body movement through miniature gears and sprockets into electricity via a piezoelectric mechanism that feeds a normal electrical heater. This suit will be custom produced to fit each citizen perfectly and will generate approximately 1.3674 extra sweaters worth of heat per person.
Will the gearbox and/or suspension catastrophically eat itself while pissing irreplaceable fuel everywhere? Gotta know how far along the Weimar-Nazi axis we are in this scenario.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

fnox posted:

tbh that just reads to me like the Swedish bureaucratic incompetence I've grown to be accustomed to rather than some campaign against men.

that just made it click perfectly, thank you.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I recently got reminded of the time I reported my university to UKÄ because they literally destroyed my original documents from my school transfer (which took well over two years to certify and translate). They argued that they thought they were copies (in secure paper with stamps??) and couldn't even find them in their archives because they switched archiving systems and the archivist they used to have quit.

I still have UKÄ's response letter archived. It ends with a glorious paragraph that starts with "We have concluded that the university has severely breached protocol, and for that, we criticize [the university]", and it ends, "And with this criticism, we consider the matter settled".

I don't know if this is something only foreigners notice but it truly is great that the country has made such a big effort in automatizing its bureaucracy, because whenever the buck gets to actual people, the decision making gets really loving bad really quickly.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Potrzebie posted:

McCloud posted:

I grew up there, I assure you it's not

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I'd like to think we have it all automated just becuase we are indeed so notoriously unreliable.

Imagine if we had to deal with ourselves manually all the time.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Swedes hate people. We'd rather trust machines.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

fnox posted:

Not even that, it's more an issue of the article's author misreading the text by volition to find an angle to attack the horribly feminist agenda in the sector, and then the poster failing their reading comprehension of said text since it's taken out of context and they've been given an antagonistic lense by said article for how to understand said text out of context. The only fault you could put at the government agency in that case is to make their text even more dumbed down so that outsiders can't misread bits of the text taken out of context, and that's actually kind of hard. If you have an agenda it's easy to misread anything to support your agenda.

fnox posted:

I recently got reminded of the time I reported my university to UKÄ because they literally destroyed my original documents from my school transfer (which took well over two years to certify and translate). They argued that they thought they were copies (in secure paper with stamps??) and couldn't even find them in their archives because they switched archiving systems and the archivist they used to have quit.

I still have UKÄ's response letter archived. It ends with a glorious paragraph that starts with "We have concluded that the university has severely breached protocol, and for that, we criticize [the university]", and it ends, "And with this criticism, we consider the matter settled".

I don't know if this is something only foreigners notice but it truly is great that the country has made such a big effort in automatizing its bureaucracy, because whenever the buck gets to actual people, the decision making gets really loving bad really quickly.

As someone who actually critizes education providers in official reports, I can understand your reaction. But you also only see a small part of the process. Yes, it can look strange that your complaint simply ended up with what looks like UKÄ wagging their finger at them and that's that. But yes, there is more to it than that. An education provider, such as a university, can absolutely get into quite serious problems (including getting their right to graduate students revoked) if such issues pile up and if the provider is unable to show how they change how they work so that those issues don't turn up again. The State's millstones often grind slowly, but they can grind very hard. Again, you see a sliver of the process from a singular point of view. It's easy to make the mistake that it means you've seen all the consequences.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 19, 2022

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
This is long and rather complicated read at times (for my smooth brain at least), but well worth it. Shines a bit of light on the potential government involvement in spygate and what is happening here. It is written by what many would consider a tinfoil hat guy for sure, but sadly he usually got some valid points.

https://peterkofod.medium.com/findsengate-1-commissions-is-this-why-we-cant-have-nice-things-1c9220676e49

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 19, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kofod is considered a :tinfoil:?

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

SplitSoul posted:

Kofod is considered a :tinfoil:?

By people like Hækkerup for sure

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Moderna all three times

I think I heard in passing that mix-and-matching might have better results when it comes to the booster, but I only got the option of booking another Moderna jab.

When I read up on it a two weeks ago the story was that a Moderna booster works better, even if you have had 2x phizer. So it's not the mixing itself.

fnox
May 19, 2013

thotsky posted:

When I read up on it a two weeks ago the story was that a Moderna booster works better, even if you have had 2x phizer. So it's not the mixing itself.

It seems like Moderna just got more of that vax juice on it.

I got Pfizer for a booster despite having 2 Moderna before, although they're not giving Moderna to people under 30 anymore.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

fnox posted:

I got Pfizer for a booster despite having 2 Moderna before, although they're not giving Moderna to people under 30 anymore.

I’m an old fart enough to get a moderna booster tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

fnox posted:

In Norway they still let you choose, but they tell people under 30 to consider doing phizer instead.

I'm in my mid 30s and noticed no effect from my two phizers or the moderna booster.