Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

why would black paint keep heat in the exhaust? my first thought is that it would do the opposite

the emissivity of bare stainless seems like it would be much lower than that of black paint. but im probably not thinking about this right.

It's ceramic coating, not paint.

For instance, I sprayed Eastwood Internal Exhaust Coating on the inside of the headers. It comes with this long tube with a nozzle to coat everything. Then I sprayed air cure Cerakote coating on the outside. This should create a nice thermal barrier, keeping the headers cooler, meaning the engine bay stays cooler.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
On the other hand if you can maintain a uniform engine bay temp of around 375F you could roast a chicken dinner on the commute from work.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
follow that up with a header wrap and you can touch em while it's running.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
put on the goddamn spare AGAIN because this loving thing can't not destroy tires

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ordered a K24A since I am even further convinced the FA20 will not survive on track, especially with a TVS blower strapped to it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
will an inline 4 fit?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Panty Saluter posted:

will an inline 4 fit?

Yes, it moves the engine back 4" and down a few inches. Weighs 140lb less than the FA with like-for-like accessories, and I can further subtract another 90lb off the nose because of the Harrop TVS kit weight.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Jesus. How are boxers that goddamn big?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You got me! Engine bay looks pretty empty with it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's not like Honda fours are small, either

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

You got me! Engine bay looks pretty empty with it

Yesssssss

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Finished putting the new control arms, spindles and brakes on the C10. One of the new brake lines leaks so guess I am remaking that one. Going to have to mess around with the new springs to get them seated correctly in the top pocket and then eyeball a basic alignment to go get it properly aligned. That will have to wait until the weekend when my rage at the line leaking has subsided.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Threw armature and solenoid shims at the 7.3 injectors over the weekend. Truck now actually starts cold and runs smooth.

It's a bandaid fix that does absolutely nothing about the worn poppet valves that made the armature clearances go away, but it'll work until I can go through the rest of the fuel system and make sure it won't gently caress up a new set of injectors (or I'll just buy it a 12 valve)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

BlackMK4 posted:

I ordered a K24A since I am even further convinced the FA20 will not survive on track, especially with a TVS blower strapped to it

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Got the middle section and mufflers off of the car. Got the new axleback installed in the car. I'm waiting to do the headers until this weekend when they've fully cured. I have to run vacuum and power to the cutouts, but I'm just going to route it where I had my nitrous hose ran.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

honda whisperer posted:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tech-Line-Coatings-Black-Satin-Ceramic-Header-Coating-12-oz-,35785.html

I've used this for years from everything from headers to turbo exhaust housings and it's fantastic for a diy coating. The cheap harbor freight airbrush is fine for applying it.

Dang, currently not available. I’m not happy with the POR-15 header coating that I used on my Cutlass years ago, though my prep could not be as good as I preferred (no sandblaster at the time) and it turned cold *just* as I needed to apply it, so that may have been a factor. The heaters in the the garage may not have been enough. Regardless, it rusted within a few years. At some point they need to come out and be recoated.

Raluek posted:

my non-ss 350 malibu has that dash, just no tach

e:

biiig fuel gauge

Huh. My recollection must be wrong. I thought only the SS and the Monte Carlo got that dash.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Dang, currently not available. I’m not happy with the POR-15 header coating that I used on my Cutlass years ago, though my prep could not be as good as I preferred (no sandblaster at the time) and it turned cold *just* as I needed to apply it, so that may have been a factor. The heaters in the the garage may not have been enough. Regardless, it rusted within a few years. At some point they need to come out and be recoated.

Huh. My recollection must be wrong. I thought only the SS and the Monte Carlo got that dash.

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating/C-7600/cerakote-glacier-black

This is what I used, it's of similar price and application process.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

looks like even the post cars had it, so yeah im gonna call bs on that one lol

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
After months of listening to the stereo whine with the changes in engine speed I pulled the four-channel amp from behind the seat my Toyota Pickup and replaced it with a new-to-me Alpine MRX-F65 four-channel. The whine is gone and I'm happy. While I was at it, I put fork terminals on the ends of the speaker wires and put ferrules on the power, ground, and turn-on wires. Now I can sleep at night knowing my cabling is nice. In a change of pace for myself, I actually bothered to remove the mini-ANL fuse under the hood instead of playing a game of ElectroBoom while swapping the amp with the power wire live.

A couple days ago I finally gathered the initiative to put the door mirrors back on my SC400 after repairing the folding mechanisms. Unfortunately I cracked the glass on the driver side mirror. The good news is that I can replace that part without having to remove the mirror again. I took the old girl for a spin and put some fresh premium gas in the tank.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Hell yes. I'd read a thread about that swap. It's on my short list of how to get more power from a brz options.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PBCrunch posted:

After months of listening to the stereo whine with the changes in engine speed I pulled the four-channel amp from behind the seat my Toyota Pickup and replaced it with a new-to-me Alpine MRX-F65 four-channel. The whine is gone and I'm happy. While I was at it, I put fork terminals on the ends of the speaker wires and put ferrules on the power, ground, and turn-on wires. Now I can sleep at night knowing my cabling is nice. In a change of pace for myself, I actually bothered to remove the mini-ANL fuse under the hood instead of playing a game of ElectroBoom while swapping the amp with the power wire live.

A couple days ago I finally gathered the initiative to put the door mirrors back on my SC400 after repairing the folding mechanisms. Unfortunately I cracked the glass on the driver side mirror. The good news is that I can replace that part without having to remove the mirror again. I took the old girl for a spin and put some fresh premium gas in the tank.

I have to say man, one of my all time favorite threads in AI was your old one where you fixed every drat car under the sun. Your current posts are a real dive back to that and I really enjoy them. Please go buy a beater and rebuild it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Hell yes. I'd read a thread about that swap. It's on my short list of how to get more power from a brz options.

I don't usually make threads, but I suppose this will be an exception :)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I have to say man, one of my all time favorite threads in AI was your old one where you fixed every drat car under the sun. Your current posts are a real dive back to that and I really enjoy them. Please go buy a beater and rebuild it.
The $400 car has evaporated. Maybe some day the used car market will be fun again.

There is a saga going on with my 1999 Jeep Cherokee that I hope to sell soon. The truck has over 300k miles on it. Six years ago someone stole it and hacked up the wiring I added for the ZJ Grand Cherokee power seats. I didn't fix it right away because anything with the Jeep bummed me out because of the theft. It had a really kick-rear end stereo and when it came back all of that was missing and the body had accumulated some new dents. The wheels and tires were also stolen, but I eventually got those back (with an absolute rock-bottom amount of help from the police (ACAB)).

When I pulled the seats a couple months ago to fix the wiring, the front seat mounts for the passenger seat were rusted away to nothing. So I ordered a new (weld-in) bracket and sent it over to my friend's shop so he could weld it up and patch the rotted out floor.

The scope spiraled a bit and we decided he would fix the floor, the seat mounts, and the rusted-out rockers and the rusty bottoms of the doors. Then one day while moving the Jeep to work on something else one of the brake lines burst and the Jeep hit something and the rear quarter on the driver side was damaged. So that increased the scope again. The plan was to paint the bottom halves of the door and the rockers with underbody paint, but the crash damage on the driver's rear quarter is too high for that. So it needs some actual shiny paint work on that side.

I'll make sure to post about the process of getting that pile of poo poo ready for sale. It needs the body and paint work finished, the brake lines need to be examined closely, and maybe I'll address the busted check valve that makes the fuel system lose fuel pressure when parked (probably not). I also have an Integra I need to sell, but I want all the Jeep stuff done first.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I changed the cabin air filter on the Outback, and I'd just like to once again say a big, hearty, "gently caress you" to Subaru for the half-assed implementation.

9 screws, and the side panel on the center console has to come off, the end of which has one of these hateful things:

that got replaced by a push-pin style retainer this time.

Old filter was definitely doing some work:

New TYC filter is garbage:

The element is just sitting in there, sorta captive by the plastic tabs and bits. The ends were not glued, so I gaffer taped them in.
But it doesn't really matter because:

Air and poo poo can just slide right on past the filter. That would explain the leaves and other schmutz that was in the housing on the "clean" side of the filter.
I chucked some more gaffer tape at it:

However, that may be a bad idea, because the heatsink for the fan speed controller is in that space, and will now be getting less airflow. We'll see. What should be there is a screen or something to at least keep the big chunks out. Amateurs.

I also lengthened the wiring for the glovebox light so I don't have to plug and unplug it while awkwardly holding up the glovebox with the one hand now.

PBCrunch posted:

That reminds me I need to change out the factory amp in our Outback. The factory McIntosh amp doesn't like the aftermarket head unit and hums just a little. I just need to take a look at what will fit under the seat in the same space. I'd also like to replace the factory 6 x 9 "subwoofer" with something that actually is a subwoofer.

edit:

Raluek posted:

looks like even the post cars had it, so yeah im gonna call bs on that one lol

Aha!
The issue is that I'm talking about 1970-72 Chevelles, however, the round gauges were still optional on non-SS cars.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

PBCrunch posted:

The $400 car has evaporated. Maybe some day the used car market will be fun again.

rx8

honda whisperer posted:

lfx into rx8

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't usually make threads, but I suppose this will be an exception :)

Cool!

no lube so what posted:

rx8

lfx into rx8

Lsx? I did get a ride at autox in a ls swapped brz and it was giggle like an idiot loose on Hoosiers. Felt to fast to track without risking death or going full racecar though.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

That's cute. Even people selling Harlequin RX-8s with four spare tire steelies and a broken rotary engine want $2500 for their "perfect LS swap chassis I know what I have".

Edit: as for LFX maybe he means that piece of garbage GM 3.6L with all the timing chain headaches.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Lsx? I did get a ride at autox in a ls swapped brz and it was giggle like an idiot loose on Hoosiers. Felt to fast to track without risking death or going full racecar though.

I believe it. It seems like these cars just plain have problems putting power down past a certain point, unless I just have unrealistic expectations.

Another annoying thing has to do with tuning on the stock ECU with forced induction. I don't know why it is but there is some fuckery with the way the car makes power at initial tip-in. You get way too soft of power delivery in the initial 5% or so and then torque delivery immediately jumps in a very small transition window. It is extremely difficult to smoothly manage moving from maintenance throttle to adding throttle mid corner. Apparently this is normal, at least with a positive displacement supercharger and the stock ECU.

But hey, my STX set up BRZ feels fuckin great all around.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 19, 2022

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

honda whisperer posted:

Cool!

people are dumping the v6 Camaro power train into them and getting better than 10lb/hp

https://www.rx8club.com/non-rotary-swaps-196/skinless-lfx-engine-swap-271822/

PBCrunch posted:

That's cute. Even people selling Harlequin RX-8s with four spare tire steelies and a broken rotary engine want $2500 for their "perfect LS swap chassis I know what I have".

Edit: as for LFX maybe he means that piece of garbage GM 3.6L with all the timing chain headaches.

ah, that sucks.

I don't know poo poo about the engine at that level.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Finally took a picture of the new wheels and tires. I got a big raise and splurged a bit. Not too much--just a bit. Mounted and balanced it ended up being about $2100, basically nothing these days for a decent wheel and tire. The wheels are made by Vorstiener, a name I knew from my BMW days. They're Venomrex VR-602, 17x9 with +12 offset. It's basically stock 2015+ Raptor fitment. I ordered them in Highland Bronze but they sent Tungsten Graphite. Can't complain, really. These still look gooood and it wasn't worth returning them. Tires are 285/70-17 BFG All-Terrain KO2s. I toyed with a street tire setup but there's really nothing near the correct diameter that suits.

The wheels are super-light for what they are (24 pounds) and the whole combo is within a few pounds of the stock 18" weight, and lighter than the 20" option. It's only a 32.5" diameter tire, so the speedo is even accurate. The tire tread comes out laterally to the edge of the fender flare and not a cheeky millimeter more, perfect placement. There's a bit of bulge on the sidewalk, but I like it. Feels nostalgic and a bit real--these will work pretty well on the trail and I don't have to worry about bending a 20"+ wheel.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
After work I managed to break the O2 sensors in my stock pipes loose. Got them cleaned up and installed in my new x pipe. Ran the wiring and vacuum line for the cutouts to the front. I also installed the plug extensions for the sensors. Ready to get the headers on and supercharger mounted this weekend.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wallaka posted:

Finally took a picture of the new wheels and tires. I got a big raise and splurged a bit. Not too much--just a bit. Mounted and balanced it ended up being about $2100, basically nothing these days for a decent wheel and tire. The wheels are made by Vorstiener, a name I knew from my BMW days. They're Venomrex VR-602, 17x9 with +12 offset. It's basically stock 2015+ Raptor fitment. I ordered them in Highland Bronze but they sent Tungsten Graphite. Can't complain, really. These still look gooood and it wasn't worth returning them. Tires are 285/70-17 BFG All-Terrain KO2s. I toyed with a street tire setup but there's really nothing near the correct diameter that suits.

The wheels are super-light for what they are (24 pounds) and the whole combo is within a few pounds of the stock 18" weight, and lighter than the 20" option. It's only a 32.5" diameter tire, so the speedo is even accurate. The tire tread comes out laterally to the edge of the fender flare and not a cheeky millimeter more, perfect placement. There's a bit of bulge on the sidewalk, but I like it. Feels nostalgic and a bit real--these will work pretty well on the trail and I don't have to worry about bending a 20"+ wheel.

I’m not trying to start another clan war like in the tire thread, but I agree with your choice of black letters out.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’m not trying to start another clan war like in the tire thread, but I agree with your choice of black letters out.

I appreciate white letters out on vintage trucks and cars. I'm not a fan on modern vehicles. It reminds me of those godawful fake squarebody trucks that came out recently.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I'm proud of you for saying something so brave, and so wrong.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I got new tires last year and specifically asked for white on the outside and they didn't do it. It kind of bothers me but it bothers me more that I'm bothered by it than that I'm bothered by it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Tire place I used to go to in NH always asked and remembered which way I said. Not needed a new set in AZ yet but we will see.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Clarion M508 is my go-to single-din, bluetooth, no-CD player head unit I elect to put into anything we import on account of them all being only from the mid-90s and back. Trying to find a unit that fits aesthetically is all but impossible, I am a particular kinda person. The problem is, as with most things modern with lights, it's too goddamned bright and white:

So I did a thing:

Took the unit down to it's board with the LEDs exposed, covered them with a couple layers of green self-adhesive film for studio lighting, put it all back together, much, MUCH better. Still way too bright, and the dark tint film I have is way too thin and difficult to work with especially since I have to layer this stuff to get a decent color. Probably going to pull it down again and add a third layer. It's easy enough to do, but getting an even layer over the main screen can be tricky to avoid bubbles. I can turn the whole unit's lights off without turning the unit itself off, but if you press any button, including volume up on the knob, the lights come back on. I did this last week to both our Prado and our Hilux.

Today specifically I did this:

Took this dashpad off, to replace this one in a different, but identical year, Cruiser:

Close up of the difference between the two.

The 'new' one isn't visually perfect, but not torn or broken in any way vs the old one. Not many first-generation, but second revision J70 Prados here in the USA, fortunate enough that I have the ability to have had several. Will be putting this worse one back on the one I stole the good one from tomorrow.

Top Prado now has the good dashpad, the bottom one is the truck I stole it from. Both 94s, both short wheelbase and both manuals, but the green one is the top trim while the white one is stripper spec.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That HU mod is awesome!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I wonder if that VHT Niteshades spray paint for tail lights would work for dimming the display. You wouldn't get bubbles and you could just spray more to get the dimming level you're after.

Also, I think a lot of newer Sony head units have selectable color and brightness for the illumination. Mine has individually selectable colors and brightness for the display and the buttons.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Didn't really want to pull a trans on a BRZ for the second time in 3 weeks, but I heard the blue car squeal when I started it cold and realized it was the throwout bearing.

At least there was an absolute shitload more room to work with. White car looks like

Blue car looks like, I had the transmission on the floor in an hour and a half.

I caught it just in time, the throwout bearing had to be put into a vice for me to be able to spin it. Clutch was half a millimeter from the buttons on the flywheel side.