Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

TheFlyingLlama posted:

there was a reasonable amount of collaboration between Ukrainian nationalists and nazi germany early in the eastern front out of a "oh god they're liberating us from the soviets" idea before it was obvious that like, the nazis hated the Ukrainians as much as they did the Russians, which lead had 5+ million Ukrainians taking up arms against the germans after they took control of much of the modern country, either directly in the red army or as partisans.

Yes this was also my best guess, but apart from a few collaborators, Ukraine was massively insurgent against the Nazi occupiers. It takes real chutzpah or ignorance to claim that Ukraine (a fully integrated part of the Soviet Union) was allied with Germany in the War.

If Rall really wanted to Godwin it up, he might as well have gone all out and point out that Germany itself is part of NATO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's kinda like saying "the french were nazis because they collaborated with the germans in WW2".

it's not technically wrong, it's just misleading and clearly being used to make a political point instead of being accurate in any real way

EDIT: okay, there is the complication that there are active neo-nazi groups in Ukraine (some of which directly oppose russian intervention out of a "gently caress you we're independent way") but like, there are also in russia and basically everywhere and pretending that it's a bigger deal in ukraine is posturing at best

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 19, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: If We Were on the Other Side of the Ukraine-Russia Crisis

Peas in a pod
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1483612693827182596

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Does Tucker ever not make that confused face?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Athas posted:

But Finland has no plans to join NATO, and does not have any recent border conflicts with Russia. They are not exactly at the centre of an urgent flashpoint.

Finland has no current plans to join, but has a NATO option, which means that if the people of Finland wants to join, NATO will welcome them.

Sweden and Finland are not part of NATO, but does joint excercises with NATO countries like Norway, Denmark and the Baltic states. Russia is rattling their sabres because they want to end all joint excercises and are demanding that NATO will agree to never expand in Eastern europe, Finland or Sweden.

Russia, or rather Putin, wants go get back the 'spehere of interest' around its borders, which means that they have a strong influence on internal politics, and veto on foreign policy. EU and NATO will have none of it, and the Ukraine is squeezed in the middle.

Yes, I'll have fries with that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wait, every other right wing media figure is talking about how Biden is too senile and weak to stand up to the Russian threat, but Tucker Carlson is saying "Actually, it's good that Russia is doing this, and Biden should let them"?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Rall doesn't specify which missiles Nato has placed at Russia's border. Defensive Patriot missiles? He also doesn't mention that Russia has placed offensive Iskander ballistic missiles in Kaliningrad. That's curious.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Right now it is either very clear who is paying the bills or Rall is trying to push being a contrarian to new heights.

Edit: As a general point with WW2 it is important to remember that in any other war the Allies would be seen as the baddies from a combination of atrocities, size and general attitude towards other nations. It is just that the Axis were so much worse.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 19, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hunt11 posted:

Right now it is either very clear who is paying the bills or Rall is trying to push being a contrarian to new heights.

https://sputniknews.com/author_rall_ted/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: If We Were on the Other Side of the Ukraine-Russia Crisis

If the world joined together to boycott and isolate the US, it would be 100% legitimate and admirable, just as it is in the case of Russia.

A good cartoon, death to both former superpowers.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I wasn't worried about a Russian invasion of Ukraine before, but now that Rall is being contrary about it...

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Xarn posted:

Does Tucker ever not make that confused face?

Only when he's bloviating, then his face looks like an anus about to prolapse.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

disposablewords posted:

Only when he's bloviating, then his face looks like an anus about to prolapse.

Which one is his orgasm face?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Regarding the Tina Toon: what's that about? Were the Democrats actually smart enough to use the fact that MLK was against the filibuster? I'm not all that tuned into the news (mostly here and the BBC).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

as we all know, the United States forced all these countries to apply to join NATO against their will and now exerts “direct military control” over all europe without the willing participation of those governments

secretly, in their heart of hearts, the baltics are desperate to resume a partnership with russia that has been nothing but happy and fruitful.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, poor old Russia does have some concerns, geographically speaking. Is it a coincidence that Finland borders to the west, and Korea to the east? They just want to not get caught in the crossfire of the next hyperwar.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

THE NARRATIVE IS CRUMBLING ..START A WAR!

Joe Biden is a stumbling, mumbling disgrace and everyone knows it.

Yet I saw Senator Elizabeth Warren laugh on a TV talk show when it was suggested to her that Joe Biden may not run in 2024. She sounded very confident that he would indeed run and that he would soon turn things around. How will he accomplish this?

War. That’s how it works. When all else fails, they force us into war.

They’ll use patriotic drumbeating and cannon fire to drum up support for Biden and his unpopular programs. Who knows, it might even help make it easier for them to steal the midterm elections.

What goes on in Russia’s sphere of influence is not America’s business. The US should be protecting our own borders, not Ukrainian ones. Still, the US remains the world’s policeman and our war-mongering politicians actually want a broke US to expand its empire. World War II ended over 75 years ago and yet we are still occupying many of the conquered countries. President Trump knew this and saw how the US was being taken advantage of by funding NATO when European countries could take care of themselves.

It’s time to dismantle NATO, not expand it. It’s time to end war, not start new ones. Biden and the Democrats don’t want this. Neither do the globalists who have taken over America. I’m talking about the oligarchs who show up at Davos, Bilderberg, and the World Economic Forum. Those are the people who are pulling America’s strings and they want a communist Chinese model for the world. That’s why they praise and admire President Xi so much. They despise Putin because for all his faults, he’s a nationalist who has the best interests of his own people at heart. So did Trump.

Everything Apocalypse Joe has done thus far has been a complete and utter disaster and a new war will be even more disastrous.

— Ben Garrison

Tibalt posted:

I wasn't worried about a Russian invasion of Ukraine before, but now that Rall is being contrary about it...

And now, thanks to Ben, we know the US won't get directly involved if things go hot.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
A... good Garrison? Being anti-war is his only redeeming quality, and the Dems probably will eat poo poo in 2022 this year for playing controlled opposition as always, so yeah.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Dominic Cummings throwing Boris Johnson under the bus – PM’s former adviser has published new revelations, claiming Johnson was warned on multiple occasions about a party at No 10 during the first lockdown"

Telegraph:

UK preparing for 'crisis mode', as weapons flown to Ukraine to defend against Russian invasion

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

What is the ‘pork pie plot’? Tory bid to oust Boris Johnson explained

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Well, poor old Russia does have some concerns, geographically speaking. Is it a coincidence that Finland borders to the west, and Korea to the east? They just want to not get caught in the crossfire of the next hyperwar.

In the grim future of 2032, Mega-Finland and United Korea conduct a proxy war in the irradiated area formerly known as Russia, this is the Garrison/Rall Zone.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I would read that book

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

This is an actual thing Scott Morrison said.

Warren Brown:

Man charged with murder after nine-year-old girl’s body found in a barrel near Blue Mountains (Guardian). AJ and Cleo were missing children who were found alive.

Le Lievre:

About the code brown called across the hospitals in Victoria.

Leak, Son of Leak:

Opposition leader Anthony Albanese.

Lethbridge:

Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk. Queensland school children won't return to the classroom until February — and some parents aren't happy (ABC)

Wilcox:

Various members of the government who are vocal anti-vaxxers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Islamic Shock posted:

A... good Garrison? Being anti-war is his only redeeming quality, and the Dems probably will eat poo poo in 2022 this year for playing controlled opposition as always, so yeah.
Garrison is anti-war right up until Biden avoids or ends a war and then he's a weak clumsy coward.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

kids these days and their skateboards

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Garrison is anti-war right up until Biden avoids or ends a war and then he's a weak clumsy coward.

Yeah reminder that Garrison kept saying we need to leave Afghanistan and that Biden would never do it because he's a bad president that loves war so much, and then when Biden did it, Garrison called him bad for doing it.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1483831433726951426?s=20 When you use a Branco cartoon as a visual on the House floor.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Well, actually, it's technically named Frankenstein's tailor...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

kartikeya posted:

When you use a Branco cartoon as a visual on the House floor.

Further proof that Branco is by far the most successful cartoonist posted in this thread.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kellies nominee: best cartoon

KKK hood as mountain is a great visual metaphor

Trapezium Dave posted:

Wilcox:

Various members of the government who are vocal anti-vaxxers.
But how am I supposed to know who these guys are if they don't have conspicuous nametags?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

steinrokkan posted:

If the world joined together to boycott and isolate the US, it would be 100% legitimate and admirable, just as it is in the case of Russia.

A good cartoon, death to both former superpowers.

Throw China in there, and I'm right there with you.

Death to Imperialism.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Did the cartoonist (who?) forget to sign this one?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Don't know the specifics of the situation in Queensland, but... they're outside at least? Probably in smaller groups than whole classes? Seems like an improvement

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Aoi posted:

Throw China in there, and I'm right there with you.

Death to Imperialism.

If I may humbly suggest adding Turkey.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:ok:

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Clay Bennet

Lisa Benson

Chip Bok

Tim Campbell

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Bob Gorrell

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

Don’t Look Down
The media has overhyped the Omicron virus that has turned out to be much less lethal than expected.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

They desperately, desperately want Hillary to run again. Is this in response to anything, did she actually say something to give them an excuse for it (that is, did she say anything at all about anything) or are they all so bored that their marching orders were "fearmonger about the Clinton lady I dunno"?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If I never again see another hack prick churn out a "MANLY PUTIN SHAMING PUNY WESTERN LEADERS" cartoon that they drew with one hand, I could die a happy less miserable man.

Take a day off mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

kartikeya posted:

They desperately, desperately want Hillary to run again. Is this in response to anything, did she actually say something to give them an excuse for it (that is, did she say anything at all about anything) or are they all so bored that their marching orders were "fearmonger about the Clinton lady I dunno"?
She did some vanity interview in which she read her inauguration speech or something? I can’t remember; it’s dumb and she clearly can’t let go but nothing to imply a 2024 attempt.