Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

stillvisions posted:

Would that be a pedal bword?

Yeah. But it's pronounced "bword".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Buster Bword

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

stillvisions posted:

Pedal sword-and-board

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

stillvisions posted:

swordlebord

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

That's too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed it is a heap of raw iron.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I want to hear that band tbh. Metal Zone and digitech up front, Loopers in the back. I hope their music lives up to it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

sporklift posted:

Yeah. But it's pronounced "bword".

well now i feel foolish

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

mango sentinel posted:

That's too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed it is a heap of raw iron.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So that’s what they mean by sword and board

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Alexander Dumble just died, I suspect poo poo is about to get real real real weird amongst PRS dentists.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Kingo Ligma posted:

Alexander Dumble just died, I suspect poo poo is about to get real real real weird amongst PRS dentists.

Mr. Dumble shall be encased in a thick layer of opaque epoxy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Those fragile harmonics finally gave out in his crystal lattice.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 18, 2022

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
All amp guys are weird as poo poo in person; Djumble just stuck his head a little too far over the parapet. It's something about the solder fumes and long days in small workshops.

Never been a massive fan of the amps or seized with a burning desire to try one out, but he knew his poo poo and there's just not many people still doing what he did at that level. A sad loss for the amp industry if not the hype one. First amps to hit seven figs at auction coming up reeealll soon...

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Gentleman, the monkey grip dick hole has evolved.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I want one.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Was the monkey grip really so that Vai could get his dick sucked while playing or was it more of a marketing gimmick?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

cowards didn't make the 7-string neck half fretless

And also have it fretless on the top half of the neck so that every neck is half fretless, but in a different way.

Finally someone has added a Dragonizer and Climax Regulator at least.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think the monkey grip was more of like a drug induced "hey what if" kind of thing that made that model stand out more

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I just realized the guitar has TUBES IN THE GUITAR. Holy poo poo

Also there is a NFT of the video thats going to be for sale. lol

This is peak boomer poo poo

edit: This thing should be the official mascot of this thread

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 19, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lol

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Was the monkey grip really so that Vai could get his dick sucked while playing or was it more of a marketing gimmick?

ol stevie skinnyweiner

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

The entire thing is a climax regulator.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Vai talked about it in interview I saw clip about that it basically came from trying to come up with something new for a promo photoshoot, like hey, what if we put like a handle in the guitar and I could hold it all cool or something.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I have to say... I've always kind of admired the way Steve Vai gets to live his life and approach his career, not because of his music or for his technical ability, but because to look at Steve Vai is to look at a man who has absolute freedom to get as lost as possible in his own weird bizarre imagination, and who is then continuously rewarded for roaming around in his own strange head and presenting whatever he can dig up in there, and guitar players of his generation just throw money at him for it every time.

Like, just imagine being able to let your guard down like that, having no filter on your creativity. Whatever you sell gets bought. Then picture going and studying a bunch of Indian and Eastern religions, reading some philosophy, talking about the healing power of crystals or whatever woo stuff comes into your head, and then you just explore musical ideas you believe to represent that weird stuff or whatever new thing you're learning this year, no filter. You're worth over 8 figures. You never have to work again, so you just chill and put down weird poo poo to tape all day, then when you get bored, you travel the world with your band on tour.

And then you get to tell people you want to make a guitar that looks like that loving thing, and one of the most popular guitar companies in the world is just like "ok."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 20, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Steve Vai genuinely seems like a nice guy too. I have watched a few videos on his youtube channel.

He's just a huge dork.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think he's one of the dudes that deserves to be a huge dork with no shame since Zappa picked him at a real young age to do a whole ton of poo poo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What the gently caress is a 'Dragonizer'

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I also don't know what a 'Climax Regulator' is but somehow I have a feeling The Edge helped design it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mister Speaker posted:

I also don't know what a 'Climax Regulator' is but somehow I have a feeling The Edge helped design it.

I was more thinking Sting helped make it

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

It was a thing that he wanted for his stage guitar, and he wanted his Ibanez to literally be his stage guitar. Ibanez decided to embrace this because their luthiers look like accountants but are the nerdiest guitar nerds to nerd out to guitars. They are awesome. Also, like the lion's claw rout and the special finishes they sold it as a premium, but honestly you just got the guitar Steve himself got. Back then.

Malaria posted:

edit: This thing should be the official mascot of this thread
That role is taken.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 20, 2022

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

That role is taken.

By surfboard guitar guy

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

By surfboard guitar guy

Good guess! But no, that honor has been entrusted to the venerable Dr. Faustus, lord and mascot of this holy thread.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 20, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

We should crowdfund to get Faustus a Hydra

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Malaria posted:

We should crowdfund to get Faustus a Hydra
I didn't fall for this last time when it was, "We need to get Faustus this ridiculous gold-plated TS-9." You guys tease and tease. :(

That Hydra, I never went to look at what it was. I should have guessed it was a Vai thing just by all the stupid.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I’m not sure we can top that thing

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Depends.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Vai was inspired by the flamethrower guitar guy in Mad Max Fury Road to make the hydra guitar. Amazing. It's the movie that keeps on giving.

"It started about five years ago when I was watching Mad Max – Fury Road. There was this one scene where they are going through the desert, and a guy is on the front of a truck with this wild-looking guitar bouncing around. I thought that was cool, and it inspired me to create a guitar with three necks and harp string."

https://myglobalmind.com/2022/01/17...g-guitar-solos/

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

Vai was inspired by the flamethrower guitar guy in Mad Max Fury Road to make the hydra guitar. Amazing. It's the movie that keeps on giving.

"It started about five years ago when I was watching Mad Max – Fury Road. There was this one scene where they are going through the desert, and a guy is on the front of a truck with this wild-looking guitar bouncing around. I thought that was cool, and it inspired me to create a guitar with three necks and harp string."

https://myglobalmind.com/2022/01/17...g-guitar-solos/
:awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Bump!

Lady Faustus just bought me a meet-and-greet ticket for Steve Vai's make-up show in Charlotte next October. I've never seen him live, much less met him at a show.

So if I have to take just one guitar to autograph I am super torn:
Take the orignal 1988 Floral Print JEM, give Vai a white paint pen: I've been a fan of his guitars since day one. Should I get this one signed or...
Take the new white JEM7V: Perfect for signing with a black sharpie, guitar is brand new. It's already worth some cash, could use a signature on it. But I don't play it often. It is a case queen.

She dropped $300 on this for me though I don't much care to see him play. I would have preferred to have seen him with DLR.

I do very much want to meet him though, and get a JEM signed. That part has me pretty jazzed.

The stupidest music poo poo: SRV cover tunes! It's a long story but I did one for my Dad for Christmas, then he requested more and I obliged.) https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/empty-arms-srv-cover

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 28, 2022