Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been wondering if there was a Battle Royale reset somewhere in the middle of development and that's why there are a weirdly small number of maps for how long the game was in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

40 spartans raiding Molten Core, shooting magma giants and huge fire elementals

wait poo poo that's just Destiny

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Evil Badman posted:

All code is spaghetti behind the scenes. Trying to fix one thing break eight others. This is not a video games issue, everything suffers this to varying degrees.

I agree, however the varying degrees is what's important. I've worked on projects that are easily expandable and projects where everything was an intertwined nightmare of duct taped solutions. Most of the projects I've worked on where it was known there was going to be a lot of code reuse ahead of time were designed were pretty decent to work on. In these cases the spaghetti tends to be more isolated and significantly easier to untangle. It's the projects that were supposed to be one off demos done on a shoestring budget that get turned into large scale products that were problematic. Granted we have pretty low turnover so most ideas are coded to completion before the people working on them changes.

The rumors I've heard of 343 are that they had a lot of contractors, a lot of revamps along the way so I have to imagine on the varying degrees gradient it's closer to the "duct tape and jank" holding it together than the "series of modules, designed with future use in mind". If there was a lot of turnover there also may be redundancy where they have multiple completely different modules doing the same thing instead of extending from a base module.

I think it would just be interesting to see behind the scenes. (But from a distance, I have zero desire to be involved in the video game industry)

Shiroc posted:

I've been wondering if there was a Battle Royale reset somewhere in the middle of development and that's why there are a weirdly small number of maps for how long the game was in development.

It would explain why it was easy for them to implement the "danger zone" that exists in attrition.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 19, 2022

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Would the open world story mode map have been the battle royale arena? What if that's what it was...

e: Or the secret loot cave vaults on Fragmentation or whichever map that is that has the hackable doors.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The grappleshot really seems like it came out of the open world being really lovely to navigate with vehicles. Someone says "hey Halo vehicles are iconic! Let's build the game around them" but then they realized that all of the vehicle levels and multiplayer maps were designed wholly around them several years in when playtesting feels awful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The one thing Halo doesn't need is a battle royale

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
If this halo had a battle royale and not coop id have loving lost it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Please lord no more BR games.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If they want a battle royale gametype it should be in BTB obviously. Who wants to play battle royale influenced 4v4?

And they should do that, once BTB works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Laserface posted:

Please lord no more BR games.

BR starts only, no BR games.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

Can't speculate on BR but 343 Halo games have always launched with a small amount of multiplayer maps. It's unfortunate but at least they're well designed and 343 has a proven record of solid post-launch support. I'm just hoping that future maps have more visual variety because Halo 4 did an excellent job with this and it would be nice to see a good variety of biomes again. There's obviously many classics that can be updated and brought back as well so I guess it just remains to see how frequently they drop new content throughout the year and beyond.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I would love to see a BTB map in the theme of the neon city streets map from the 4v4 rotations. That's the strongest aesthetic in this game.

Also, I don't think they are going to add a battle royale feature. There is a feeling that this game was being built to be one thing and was hacked into being a regular Halo game after a sea change in leadership, and Halo BR fits the timeframe and is the funniest possible theory for what some director was pushing for from the outset.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My speculation is mostly given how hard 343 has chased trends and the peak of BR games was smack in the middle of Infinite's development.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's really weird that the cool setpiece near the end with the Banished building all the testing areas using human parts isn't a map in the game, seems like an easy win.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's really weird that the cool setpiece near the end with the Banished building all the testing areas using human parts isn't a map in the game, seems like an easy win.

It's so obvious to use for firefight too, Banished announcers and all. Everyone loves Propaganda Grunt!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone noticed the scoreboard not showing up properly in the new patch?

Like you get a blank gray player list on the left and an expanded but blank scoreboard on the right

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lmao that I just tried to cancel a search for a game and it still managed to put me into a game while I was away from my tv yet i try and do literally any action in the UI while that 3 second countdown is running and WOAH WE BETTER INSTANTLY KILL THE SEARCH WOULDNT WANT TO CATCH THE PLAYER UNAWARES

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

skasion posted:

Has anyone noticed the scoreboard not showing up properly in the new patch?

Like you get a blank gray player list on the left and an expanded but blank scoreboard on the right

this was happening to me last night pre-patch too

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I caved and bought the weekly skin. Attrition is fun, but it definitely feels like it should have been a BTB mode.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Stockpile is such garbage. Just finished a match on Deadlock where literally every drop was right next to the enemy base.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Stock pile is absolutely the worst design choice in the game.

In terms of problems Match making is still dumping me, an Aussie, into 200ms+ games in the middle of the god drat day during school holidays. And then it had the audacity to tell me "unstable latency!" Next to the ping. For the game it put me into.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

everyone hates on launch site as the worst map but it's actually behemoth by far

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

everyone hates on launch site as the worst map but it's actually behemoth by far

Behemoth really needs to move more of the weapon racks closer to the center of the map. The outside ring is worthless when all the fighting is over the towers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I like Behemoth. But a bit too open for BR starts though.

Also, there should be something in the dead center of the map, on the bridge between the two lifts. Feels like they forgot a rocket launcher spawn.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Behemoth is the worst map by a mile. Launch site is fine if maybe too big for 4v4.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

seconds after posting this i went 17-2 on behemoth so i take it all back

great map

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I really enjoy behemoth and launch site :shrug:

Aquarius is probably my least favorite, followed by Streets

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

getting overkills in Attrition matches is easier than getting back smacks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think Behemoth is a lot of fun, except on SWAT.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like Behemoth in ranked with the power weapon spawns just in the base but it's insanely tedious any other time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Behemoth does need a neutral power weapon spawn. Giving each side a sniper or a skewer with easy access to the towers turns it into pop and shoot.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I like behemoth for team slayer and CTF. I don't think it works on Swat though as the sightlines are too open so too often you spawn and immediately get shot.

The main thing I think needs to change about behemoth is that the Hydra needs to spawn in the center, where you can get it to combat the vehicles, without being murdered by said vehicles. Also it needs to always spawn the hydra and not the ravager.

I enjoy the two opposing skewers that spawn as well.

I don't like launch site though, regardless of game type.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

how tf do laso checkpoints work? I made it as far as tremonius and after a few attempts I ran out of time, so I ended game via the pause menu and now when I pick up to carry on I'm half a level back from where I was? I died a bunch of times at the boss and always restarted from the fight so I assumed I started it with full shields to get the checkpoint.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

kecske posted:

how tf do laso checkpoints work? I made it as far as tremonius and after a few attempts I ran out of time, so I ended game via the pause menu and now when I pick up to carry on I'm half a level back from where I was? I died a bunch of times at the boss and always restarted from the fight so I assumed I started it with full shields to get the checkpoint.

The game has two kinds of saves "Saving checkpoint" and "saving progress" Only one actually carries over to the next time you boot the game. It's stupid enough in normal gameplay where you can see when saves happen but it's particularly awful in LASO when it doesn't tell you when it's saving, what type of save it's doing and saves less due to how shield recharge works. I had something similar happen it is what turned me off my LASO playthrough.

----

My final challenge for the week was "Win 4 Attrition Games" But it counted both wins and losses towards the challenge. Not sure if it was a mislabeled "play 4 attrition games" challenge, or if it was just counting weird.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

TheGreySpectre posted:

My final challenge for the week was "Win 4 Attrition Games" But it counted both wins and losses towards the challenge. Not sure if it was a mislabeled "play 4 attrition games" challenge, or if it was just counting weird.

I had a "Complete 3 Attrition Games" one that only counted wins.

Then a different "Complete 3 Attrition Games" that counted everything.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

the methods I was using to ensure the game saved progress (going back to a fob, starting/ending a story mission, loading into a new area) routinely failed to work like halfway through my LASO campaign. Never figured out what was up, but randomly losing 30-45 minutes of progress for no reason was easily the most annoying part of LASO.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

WEH posted:

the methods I was using to ensure the game saved progress (going back to a fob, starting/ending a story mission, loading into a new area) routinely failed to work like halfway through my LASO campaign. Never figured out what was up, but randomly losing 30-45 minutes of progress for no reason was easily the most annoying part of LASO.

It only saves checkpoints when you have full health/shields on LASO, always try to end any encounter with a melee kill.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Give me custom games and forge god drat it

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Pobrecito posted:

It only saves checkpoints when you have full health/shields on LASO, always try to end any encounter with a melee kill.

didn't matter :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Attrition is really cool. It’s definitely a nice little change of pace.

I was grinding out 25 melee kills for my stupid event challenge last night and had an awesome comeback game. We were on Bazaar on the third round and had just run out of lives. We slowly died 1 by 1 until our last guy was left vs their full team with a life in the bank. He ended up getting camo and sneaking past 3 enemies to revive all of us somehow and we came back and won.