Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SKULL.GIF posted:

this is the same region as this tweet is about

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1483578803683307530
what are those tanks

i know they're oil tanks

but, there's a roof that floats, right?

e: yes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_floating_roof_tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Biosphere Collapse:

Egg Moron posted:

Not ideal but that's life

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

yo for real, don't do that thing you did. at least not if you don't want to quickly end up cheated on and/or single.

and i mean that with best of love and no antagonism

Yeah for sure. Luckily I don’t need to convince her of climate change and we’re already not having kids with that in view. As for the pencils, I was mainly wondering aloud as why they couldn’t have just kept making them out of wood like before. Plenty of things in this society that are harmful and unavoidable, but other than the obvious “it’s cheaper” the original version already was biodegradable lol.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Oh is this why I'm still single? I didn't realize!

Genuinely, people who can shut out the greatest vulnerability in the world from the person they're supposed to be most honest with confuse/impress me. I can't do it, I have to put it on the table up front that I know we're going to hell and I just want a hand to hold on the ride down in the basket. How do you compartmentalize it so well?

There’s a difference between opening up about your vulnerabilities and ranting at someone because they bought sometime with plastic in it, as if individual actions like that mattered (they can’t).

The goal is to find someone you can have a healthy dark lmao about how much plastic there is.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Trees, like salmon, an infinitely renewable resource of the PNW, poo poo sorry that cant be right one sec

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what are those tanks

i know they're oil tanks

famously Bloomberg hires a fleet of planes to fly over key oil storage facilities every day just to take pictures of the floating roofs so they can calculate how much oil is being stored there because the companies won’t tell anyone.

Think about that next time you refuse to take a passenger flight for climate reasons lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Trabisnikof posted:

famously Bloomberg hires a fleet of planes to fly over key oil storage facilities every day just to take pictures of the floating roofs so they can calculate how much oil is being stored there because the companies won’t tell anyone.

Think about that next time you refuse to take a passenger flight for climate reasons lol

Can they not use drones for that

Also lol @ companies being secretive about their oil reserves but having a goddamn floating roof

"no i won't tell you how big my penis is!!" i shout into the street, standing butt naked in my doorway

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
technically the equivalent to a floating roof is a cock sock

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trabisnikof posted:

There’s a difference between opening up about your vulnerabilities and ranting at someone because they bought sometime with plastic in it, as if individual actions like that mattered (they can’t).

The goal is to find someone you can have a healthy dark lmao about how much plastic there is.

Once in a while, my roommate will get all starry-eyed about all the great things they can do with recycled plastics. I never have the heart to tell her it's all a lie.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Does anyone have a good source for long-range generalized weather forecasts? I'm curious if this summer in the Pacific Northwest is projected to be as bad as the last one. If so, I might buy a couple of portable ACs this winter or spring, when demand is low and they're presumably easy to find.

I mean, I assume it's going to be, but it would be nice to have something concrete to point to.

Bob Socko has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Jan 19, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Shima Honnou posted:

Red Hot Chili Petros

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SKULL.GIF posted:

this is the same region as this tweet is about

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1483578803683307530

Remember back in June, when I was extremely losing my poo poo and posting longform doom essays with shots of well flares across the blasted hellscape I was working in?

Yeah, same place. It's worse than you could possibly imagine. :science:

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
But isnt it lucky they are all apparently owned by 1 llc, so super easy to get reparation!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Socko posted:

Does anyone have a good source for long-range generalized weather forecasts? I'm curious if this summer in the Pacific Northwest is projected to be as bad as the last one. If so, I might buy a couple of portable ACs this winter or spring, when demand is low and they're presumably easy to find.

I mean, I assume it's going to be, but it would be nice to have something concrete to point to.

The problem with forecasting this stuff long term is that typically involves generalized information from the climate changing. For example we are getting 2 degrees hotter (at least) and then you can do modeling on wind patterns and whatever else to suggest years out forecasting.

In reality the climate warming destabilized weather patterns so poo poo is completely unpredictable. There's no real way to know what summer in the PNW will actually look like next year. Since the super hosed weather is relatively geologically recent you can probably predict a typical summer for the PNW and have a high likelihood of being correct. I doubt we are just at "Heatdome Summer" for you guys permanently now.

However If you are worried about the possibility of a heat dome and can afford the purchase then it's probably not a bad idea to be prepared as the precedent has been established. I can't tell you to go buy them because rapidly destabilizing global weather patterns means you could get completely new weather that nobody can predict. A tornado swarm? A gentle cool summer? A 130F heat dome that lasts twice as long? The artic parking polar air over you in July? Who knows!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The problem with forecasting this stuff long term is that typically involves generalized information from the climate changing. For example we are getting 2 degrees hotter (at least) and then you can do modeling on wind patterns and whatever else to suggest years out forecasting.

In reality the climate warming destabilized weather patterns so poo poo is completely unpredictable. There's no real way to know what summer in the PNW will actually look like next year. Since the super hosed weather is relatively geologically recent you can probably predict a typical summer for the PNW and have a high likelihood of being correct. I doubt we are just at "Heatdome Summer" for you guys permanently now.

However If you are worried about the possibility of a heat dome and can afford the purchase then it's probably not a bad idea to be prepared as the precedent has been established. I can't tell you to go buy them because rapidly destabilizing global weather patterns means you could get completely new weather that nobody can predict. A tornado swarm? A gentle cool summer? A 130F heat dome that lasts twice as long? The artic parking polar air over you in July? Who knows!

:hai:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

and in both scenarios, you have to factor cold air for shrinkage.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
One, Two, Heat dome's coming for you.

Three, Four, Torrential downpour.

Five, Six, Gonna burn the sticks.

Seven, Eight, Doesn't matter which state.

Nine, Ten, lol lmao again.

Bob Socko posted:

A/C usage is positively correlated with warmer climate so all signs point to yes!!!! :peanut:

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Jan 19, 2022

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bob Socko posted:

Its probably going to be hotter than normal but the forest fire smoke will block out the sun so nothing will grow because we lose random 2-3 weeks of sun which we desperately need in our already short season, again

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

Best one I've seen

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The new thread title owns, thank you mods & JeremoudCorbynejad

e: and Egg Moron too of course

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Jan 20, 2022

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Car Hater posted:

Oh is this why I'm still single? I didn't realize!

Genuinely, people who can shut out the greatest vulnerability in the world from the person they're supposed to be most honest with confuse/impress me. I can't do it, I have to put it on the table up front that I know we're going to hell and I just want a hand to hold on the ride down in the basket. How do you compartmentalize it so well?

My partner and I are both crunk pung to about the same degree, but we don't really talk about it unless it's in regards to a large purchase or some other major decision where we need to consider the future state of the world. Otherwise we just don't bring it up.

Relationships need to exist in the moment and being a climate scold just screws up moments without really having any lasting benefit. Like yeah, the world as we know it is on the verge of irreversibly changing for the worse but that doesn't mean you have to live every moment in that awareness.

Sometimes I forget I'm biking everywhere because I want to condition myself to survive hard times ahead and suddenly I'm just doing it for fun. Because it feels good and makes my body feel strong. Or that I'm not cooking with meat because I like the taste of these veggie dishes I'm making and not because I feel that meat will soon be difficult/expensive.

So, I guess it's easy to shut out "the greatest vulnerability in the world" to your partner when you're also able to shut it out for yourself from time to time.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what are those tanks

i know they're oil tanks

Much like how Canada has a strategic maple syrup reserve, so too does America keep ranch dressing in case of domestic supply shortages.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
just stop being assholes to your partners, or :sever: and be miserable

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

tiberion02 posted:

just stop being assholes to your partners, or :sever: and be miserable

you're asking too much of goons

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
How a Married Undercover Cop Having Sex With Activists Killed a Climate Movement

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epxbpj/kate-wilson-mark-kennedy-undercover-cop-sex-with-activists

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Mayor Dave posted:

you're asking too much of goons
I hope for more out of wise, enlightened CSPAM Biosphere Collapse goons, because we do actually know better than lashing out at loved ones over plastic.

Mostly though, I just want thread to keep posting about DOOM and not dickishness

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Or that I'm not cooking with meat because I like the taste of these veggie dishes I'm making and not because I feel that meat will soon be difficult/expensive.

There will be a brief, glorious period where meat is the single most accessible food of all, my good goon. :getin:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

There will be a brief, glorious period where meat is the single most accessible food of all, my good goon. :getin:

https://i.imgur.com/sDpxXtO.mp4

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Honestly if you know about and fully accept what's coming and need that in potential partners too you're already shrinking the eligible pool of people more than like weirdo incel standards would.

I'm not saying it's even a bad thing to need in principle, an agreed upon reality is a good thing for a relationship, but it is a limitation you're going to have to face.

Bathtub Cheese has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Jan 20, 2022

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
can't get the suck n gently caress cus wont stop talkin about the end of suck n gently caress :mad:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

there are some really cool pictures in that blog post behind that link… looks dangerous though

but drat, those bears really took over didn’t they

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY4V3UUY95A

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

the bear necessities

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Honestly if you know about and fully accept what's coming and need that in potential partners too you're already shrinking the eligible pool of people more than like weirdo incel standards would.

I'm not saying it's even a bad thing to need in principle, an agreed upon reality is a good thing for a relationship, but it is a limitation you're going to have to face.

Y'know, I once saw a woman on Okcupid who said that she would absolutely not ever have kids, because of what is to come. I should have married her.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Marenghi posted:

How a Married Undercover Cop Having Sex With Activists Killed a Climate Movement

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epxbpj/kate-wilson-mark-kennedy-undercover-cop-sex-with-activists

wouldnt have happened if his wife hadnt talked poo poo about his colored pencils

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

abrahamism is an actual death cult that views the material world as insubstantial and transitory

So does Buddhism. And they're right. And both Jesus and the Buddha taught us to be kind and contemplative and good to handle this world.
It's hardly fair to blame Jesus for what America and the world in general have done to his teachings.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
A68: 'Megaberg' dumped huge volume of fresh water

quote:

The monster iceberg A68 was dumping more than 1.5 billion tonnes of fresh water into the ocean every single day at the height of its melting.

A68 was, for a short period, the world's biggest iceberg.

It covered an area of nearly 6,000 sq km (2,300 sq miles) when it broke free from Antarctica in 2017. But by early 2021, it had vanished.

One trillion tonnes of ice, gone.

"It does seem that it briefly touched the continental shelf. That's when the berg took a turn and we saw a small piece break off. But it wasn't enough to ground A68," Leeds's Dr Anne Braakmann-Folgmann told BBC News.

"And I think you can see why in the thickness estimates," added co-author Prof Andrew Shepherd. "By that stage the berg's keel was 141m, on average, and the bathymetry (depth) charts in the area showed 150m. It was a close call in the end."

By April 2021, A68 had broken into countless small fragments that were beyond tracking. But its ecosystem impacts will have been much longer-lived.

Giant tabular, or flat-topped, bergs are now recognised to have considerable influence wherever they roam.

Their freshwater inputs will alter local currents. And all the iron, other minerals, and even organic matter picked up through their lives and subsequently dropped into the ocean will seed biological production.

"We think there's a really strong signal in the changing flora of the phytoplankton species around A68, and also in the actual deposition of material to the deeper parts of the ocean. The particle sensor on the glider was picking up some very strong signals of deposition coming from the berg," he told BBC News.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
fresh water's good, right? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Minera posted:

Highly saline water comes out of active wells alongside oil and gas and is injected back deep underground under high pressure. The amount of water injected in the Permian Basin is extraordinarily large and has caused a series of earthquakes around Midland. Potentially, some of this salt water migrated upward and created a pressurized pocket that eroded away cement plugs in the well and escaped to the surface. (If that’s the case, it may be shortsighted that the state has brought in vacuum trucks to hoover up the water from the blown-out well and is reinjecting it into a saltwater disposal well a few miles away.)

west texas.gif

Not sure if the article mentioned it but it's also radioactive!