Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

My tech 10's have been sitting in front of a heater for three days now and are still wet

And my dash played keepaway
https://streamable.com/qhzofr

lol husqvarnas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

My tech 10's have been sitting in front of a heater for three days now and are still wet

And my dash played keepaway
https://streamable.com/qhzofr

lol husqvarnas

You just kept riding!

Also, I bought some of those peet boot dryers for exactly that reason and they are amazing. I didn't think they'd be all that great given they're just a tube with a little heating element at the bottom (and I'm sure you could make them for a LOT cheaper) but they're so good.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Oh interesting I should grab some of those drop-in boot dryers that's a hot tip.

I also didn't notice the dash was dangling for 45 minutes but I Allen Millyarded a solution just now:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I didn't think those Peet dryers with only a passive heating element would work very well, but they do, leave your boots on them overnight and get dry boots in the morning, 100% recommended.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A little bit of heat and a lot of moving air will make a world of difference.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Stuffing loosely balled up newspaper down them (or using an ordinary fan) work well too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeeting themselves into oblivion is standard operating procedure for TrailTech stuff. The good news is it will usually still work after that happens

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Following up on the boot dryer recommendations to say thanks. I got these guys and they dried wet boots in less than a day

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music
Lol Husqvarnas, I guess.

While riding an mx track on a really cold day, I think we had about -12 C, my TE150i died on me a couple of times. It didn't seize or make any wierd noise that I could hear. It just felt like someone pushed the kill switch. Every time it would start right back up and felt completely normal when I rode off again. After the third or fourth time it happened I went back to the van to look for loose wires or something electrical. Predictably I found nothing, but when I started it back up it made this sound:

https://i.imgur.com/nMc7vqT.mp4

Not much left to do but to take the top off. It wasn't pretty.

This was at 76 hours, I replaced the original piston at 45 hours and the cylinder looked great then.

I figured the oil pump must have started giving up, I measured it pumping about 1,5 ml of oil during a priming sequence and since KTM doesn't provide any information on how much it should pump I just went around online looking for what other people had measured up for the 250 and 300 models, which seemed to be closer to 6 ml. So 1,5 felt like it was a bit low.

Replacing the oil pump and screen is by far the worst job I've ever done on a bike...

But of course the brand new oil pump discharges the exact same amount of oil.

Getting a fresh cylinder took 6 weeks, there are so few 150's in rotation apparently, 250 and 300's you can the same day. At least it has a cool matte grey finish now.

But I still have no idea what went wrong, I've never seen piston and cylinder in this bad shape, but the piston pin and bearing was as new. Rod and main bearings feel completely fine too, so there must have been some lubrication going on.
Can the TPI system be so stupid that it only riches up the mixture with more gas when it's cold, without compensating with more oil?
That doesn't really explain why it died like it did either.

Oh well, time to go for a Beta or Sherco instead.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
After just under a year, my bike was back together enough i could sit on it.
Of course it didn't run, I hadn't looked in the carb after 6 years and it was a pile of varnish.

Took it apart a few times, cleaned it, took it apart again, lost some pieces (probably), bought a new $30 carb from amazon.
I figured it would be the same HONGDA as i have, but it came as a Keihin - absolutely a fake.
The jet in it is only a 97, and the book says 110, so a box of those are coming too.

I did get it to fire on starting fluid, so I have spark. I also figured out I forgot a seal on the exhaust so there is a bad exhaust leak.
it seemed to shift as I was bump starting it down the street once I got tired of kicking.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

doppler posted:

Lol Husqvarnas, I guess.

While riding an mx track on a really cold day, I think we had about -12 C, my TE150i died on me a couple of times. It didn't seize or make any wierd noise that I could hear. It just felt like someone pushed the kill switch. Every time it would start right back up and felt completely normal when I rode off again. After the third or fourth time it happened I went back to the van to look for loose wires or something electrical. Predictably I found nothing, but when I started it back up it made this sound:

https://i.imgur.com/nMc7vqT.mp4

Not much left to do but to take the top off. It wasn't pretty.

This was at 76 hours, I replaced the original piston at 45 hours and the cylinder looked great then.

I figured the oil pump must have started giving up, I measured it pumping about 1,5 ml of oil during a priming sequence and since KTM doesn't provide any information on how much it should pump I just went around online looking for what other people had measured up for the 250 and 300 models, which seemed to be closer to 6 ml. So 1,5 felt like it was a bit low.

Replacing the oil pump and screen is by far the worst job I've ever done on a bike...

But of course the brand new oil pump discharges the exact same amount of oil.

Getting a fresh cylinder took 6 weeks, there are so few 150's in rotation apparently, 250 and 300's you can the same day. At least it has a cool matte grey finish now.

But I still have no idea what went wrong, I've never seen piston and cylinder in this bad shape, but the piston pin and bearing was as new. Rod and main bearings feel completely fine too, so there must have been some lubrication going on.
Can the TPI system be so stupid that it only riches up the mixture with more gas when it's cold, without compensating with more oil?
That doesn't really explain why it died like it did either.

Oh well, time to go for a Beta or Sherco instead.

My guess, based only on me asking “do I do anything different with my 2t when it’s cold?” Is that you needed to change the oil to run in that kind of cold. It’s not that your oil pump was broken, just that you’re asking it to pump oil that’s way too thick (because of the cold). Then, when you check in the warm(ish) garage or van it seems fine. Sorry though, that’s super frustrating and terrible. The advice I got was to run snowmobile oil when it’s below -10c. Also, tape up the left radiator shroud to help the bike warm and stay warm.

builds character fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 15, 2022

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

blindjoe posted:

I figured it would be the same HONGDA as i have, but it came as a Keihin - absolutely a fake.

wait what? Aren't keihins the industry standard?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They mean it's a fake Keihin.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I ordered it from amazon expecting the one i had
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01L8OUOHA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I ended up with

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I tried finding an OEM XR200 carb last year for my kid's KLX140. No luck, only weird knock-offs.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

They mean it's a fake Keihin.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Many fake Keihins say "standard of Japan" on them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In general, if you’re paying less than $150-200 for a brand new carb, it’s a fake

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In LOL Husqvarna news, I don't know if this is a design defect or an operator defect, but it kept grabbing my boot and was really annoying, it seems like there's inadequate heat shielding behind this piece of fairing that caused it to heat up and weaken

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ive done something similar on my WR. I think its the airbox plastic that my boots snag on sometimes. Annoying placement.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

It really depends on the boots. On Yamaha you'll notice the factory riders cut that piece off their MX bikes, but the GNCC guys don't. I had Oneal boots (which I Ioved dearly and are my favorite boot to recommend), but I'm duck footed and it didn't matter what bike I rode, my heel got stuck. With Thor boots this doesn't happen any more.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Does anyone have a favourite rack they get for the back of their bikes?
I was thinking id like something to strap tools and an extra gas to the back, but i haven't found any xr200 specific ones.
Maybe there cheapo one for a different bike I could modify?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

blindjoe posted:

Does anyone have a favourite rack they get for the back of their bikes?
I was thinking id like something to strap tools and an extra gas to the back, but i haven't found any xr200 specific ones.
Maybe there cheapo one for a different bike I could modify?

I'll sometimes race enduros with known long stetches with a whitegas fuel bottle in my pack. They also sell rubber bladder for this. How many hours on the bike would you have to do to run a xr200 out of gas anyway?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I've used the wolfman day tripper enduro saddle bags and liked them a lot for just carrying stuff for a day long ride in the woods. I don't like them if you're doing gnarly stuff because I want to be able to fall offgracefully dismount the back of the bike. But those + a couple of bottles in them would work fine. You could use fancy bottles or just 1L coke bottles if you're not storing the gas in them for a long time

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I'll sometimes race enduros with known long stetches with a whitegas fuel bottle in my pack. They also sell rubber bladder for this. How many hours on the bike would you have to do to run a xr200 out of gas anyway?

Fair, Ive never run the XR out of fuel, but I have these toy 50cc 2 strokes for my kids and they empty a tank in 30 mins or so.
Also, I currently carry a backpack full of tools that i would rather strap to the bike.

The Saddlebags look good, maybe ill just tie an old backpack to the back and see if I hate it enough to pay for real ones.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
We rode at Brown's Camp today for the first time. A kid on another KLX140 showed up right as we got there and gave us a trail tour. It was great.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah: browns camp rules. holding up my dad’s XR500 there while he picked my brother’s XR70 off of him during a tip over is a formative memory

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

dang I want to check out browns camp. how necessary are knobbies? or can I just send it with some 90/10s that I have on my bike now? I'm not looking to conquer all of it right now, just dip a toe into dirt riding.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

But Not Tonight posted:

dang I want to check out browns camp. how necessary are knobbies? or can I just send it with some 90/10s that I have on my bike now? I'm not looking to conquer all of it right now, just dip a toe into dirt riding.

depends on the weather mostly. you can ride plenty of stuff there on street tires if you have experience, just need to be smart enough to know when to turn around :D

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was a noob to the area and rode only green and blue trails. I think I could have done the green trails on my Monkey with street tires. Pretty easy stuff plus there are many forest service roads, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A bike mechanic friend just got a klx230 and a ttr230 for his daughters, they're upgrading from crf150's. He was disdainful of the ttr as being underspecced and ye olde, while the kawi has decent chassis parts and efi which must be good. He grumbled about having to drill out the cap over the pilot screw on the ttr to get it idling better. The klx turns out to have a 'helpful' anti stall feature that uses an IAC to aggressively increase idle speed and also basically eliminates engine braking, this is meant to be somehow better for learning. He is now investigating ways to disable or circumvent the system because his daughter spent all day making GBS threads her pants down steep descents when the bike decided to effectively give it a bit of throttle to stop her 'stalling'.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

A bike mechanic friend just got a klx230 and a ttr230 for his daughters, they're upgrading from crf150's. He was disdainful of the ttr as being underspecced and ye olde, while the kawi has decent chassis parts and efi which must be good. He grumbled about having to drill out the cap over the pilot screw on the ttr to get it idling better. The klx turns out to have a 'helpful' anti stall feature that uses an IAC to aggressively increase idle speed and also basically eliminates engine braking, this is meant to be somehow better for learning. He is now investigating ways to disable or circumvent the system because his daughter spent all day making GBS threads her pants down steep descents when the bike decided to effectively give it a bit of throttle to stop her 'stalling'.

The idle thing on the KLX is weird as hell, but I've never noticed it being detrimental to actually riding the bike. Whether going down a hill or engine braking, it just seems to make more noise.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
Thoughts on front fender bags to carry irons and a tube?? Does anyone use them to free up space in their normal tool bag? Is it going to fatigue the plastic?

Thinking of getting one for the DRZ to free up pannier space when I do one of the BDRs in about a month.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

blista compact posted:

Thoughts on front fender bags to carry irons and a tube?? Does anyone use them to free up space in their normal tool bag? Is it going to fatigue the plastic?

Thinking of getting one for the DRZ to free up pannier space when I do one of the BDRs in about a month.

plenty of people do this. you’ll be fine just keep it close to the triples and you’re golden

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Riding season's here!

It was nice out, but not nice enough to make Capitol not a tractionless mud pit.

The vents on this helmet like to pick up foliage.

Did I mention mud?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Did I mention mud?

You rang?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I’m jealous. All we have here is dusty ground up granite, huge rocks, and a few small puddles.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm getting ready to redo the top end and valves for my 07 wr250f. Never done it before but I'm confident it's within my skill ability. I've shimmed valves, rebuilt forks, suspension etc, carb work etc. I do all the work on my vehicles so I'm not too worried about that. I'll toss in a new timing chain while I'm at it. Ricky mountain has two great videos on the rebuild and a video on valves.

I'm thinking of going with steel as opposed to titanium valves. I'm a little unsure about lapping valves but I've got a buddy I can ask for help.

I don't want to go with a big bore kit. I've never really felt like I need more power so I'm fine with original spec.

For parts, my initial thought is to go with Yamaha OEM parts unless anybody else has a better recommendation. I've heard it's ideal for engine components to go OEM from a longevity perspective but that might just be people with brand preference. It might be a loaded question like asking which oil is best but I figured I would see if there were any brands to specifically avoid.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hey, muddy here too. I checked out the Nestucca OHV areas today for the first time with my kids.

And again, local kids gave us a tour of some easier trails so that was great. It's never happened to me before last time at Brown's Camp - and now two in a row.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 16, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Anybody been to the Oregon Dunes? Florence, Winchester Bay, Coos Bay?
I like Sandlake but it's small and gets boring fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

Anybody been to the Oregon Dunes? Florence, Winchester Bay, Coos Bay?
I like Sandlake but it's small and gets boring fast.

ya. Florence rules. haven’t been to the rest but I’ve had a ton of fun in other people’s bikes there