Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

AnimeIsTrash posted:

epic posts my man

Hell yer it is AnimelsTrasg

*highfives u*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

You don't have to die of covid. They just write it on the death certificate.

nice redtext, lmao

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I went to a live audience with the Dalai Lama like 15 years back and it was amazing.

It was "A Conference on Modern Spirituality with the Dalai Lama" or something. People with pre-screened, long winded questions would approach the front of the stadium and ask him about the nature of spirituality and the struggles of reality.

He had this ornate throne he was sitting on high above everybody and he kept moving around the little microphones he had pointed at him and distractedly giggling and making child-like noises. He was clearly super bored.

The people with questions would walk to the front, greet him and ask things like "In a world where technology is so dominant and connects us all in such an obvious way, how do you think we can find the time to still examine our personal spirituality and how that connects us, beyond the physical?"

After every question, there was an awkward silence, followed by him saying "I don't know. Hehehehehehe." Rinse and repeat for like 1.5 hours.

At the end of it some university went up and gave him an honorary doctorate and he kept excitedly playing with the big floppy hat they gave him.

e: I was there as part of a study excursion, not because I was seeking some kind of insight, so it was more hilarious than tragic for me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Huh.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

I went to a live audience with the Dalai Lama like 15 years back and it was amazing.

It was "A Conference on Modern Spirituality with the Dalai Lama" or something. People with pre-screened, long winded questions would approach the front of the stadium and ask him about the nature of spirituality and the struggles of reality.

He had this ornate throne he was sitting on high above everybody and he kept moving around the little microphones he had pointed at him and distractedly giggling and making child-like noises. He was clearly super bored.

The people with questions would walk to the front, greet him and ask things like "In a world where technology is so dominant and connects us all in such an obvious way, how do you think we can find the time to still examine our personal spirituality and how that connects us, beyond the physical?"

After every question, there was an awkward silence, followed by him saying "I don't know. Hehehehehehe." Rinse and repeat for like 1.5 hours.

At the end of it some university went up and gave him an honorary doctorate and he kept excitedly playing with the big floppy hat they gave him.

e: I was there as part of a study excursion, not because I was seeking some kind of insight, so it was more hilarious than tragic for me.

I wonder what his username is.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
It's me ama

You're all going to buddist hell (Kansas),

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Animal Friend posted:

I had to work a conference he was at once and all the middle age white ladies would gush when I said some old fat Buddhist dude who was clearly not the Dali Lama was actually him. They were amazed that he was so easily approachable and not covered by security. Not a single one of more than a score of women - and it was almost exclusively women who were at the event - even thought twice when I pointed out the wrong guy.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

In a world where technology is so dominant and connects us all in such an obvious way, how do you think we can find the time to still examine our personal spirituality and how that connects us, beyond the physical?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

In a world where technology is so dominant and connects us all in such an obvious way, how do you think we can find the time to still examine our personal spirituality and how that connects us, beyond the physical?

im gayyyyyyyy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Stdh but also when you’re so not racist you’ve assumed every non-white person you encounter is eager to be your prop to prove a point

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Inceltown posted:

I had to work a conference he was at once and all the middle age white ladies would gush when I said some old fat Buddhist dude who was clearly not the Dali Lama was actually him. They were amazed that he was so easily approachable and not covered by security. Not a single one of more than a score of women - and it was almost exclusively women who were at the event - even thought twice when I pointed out the wrong guy.

they just really wanted to be excited, like the way dogs get if you make a sound that’s similar to their leash rattling

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

can't believe this dad's been taking hundreds of pictures a day for decades, oh wait he hasn't? :thunk:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dustcat posted:

can't believe this dad's been taking hundreds of pictures a day for decades, oh wait he hasn't? :thunk:

How do you live your life where you are meeting hundreds of people every day?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Gripweed posted:

Service job?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Or maybe you're just walking down a street? Unless you never see PoC walking down your streets.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Or maybe you're just walking down a street? Unless you never see PoC walking down your streets.

taking selfies with every homeless person i see to prove that i'm a good person

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/jesusdersupajew/status/1483867846241308682?t=bja2hSh8OMJrIjJs2t2kmQ&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hashtags don't mean anything anymore right?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

taking selfies with every homeless person i see to prove that i'm a good person

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

why is the title “blamelessly killing a friend”

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/BizzGalaxy/status/1483474489790894082

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lol

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

that is certainly a way to read that story

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Uhh, maybe I don't remember The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas with crystal clarity but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen?

[Edit: Just browsed the story again and woof, someone's projecting their own interests onto that story...]

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
"narrative-endorsed" is code for "i'm a chud"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

that is certainly a way to read that story

It's interesting, kind of a literary Qnalysis

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

its not a stretch to read into the story that the abuse in Omelas extends beyond just neglect, what is really fascinating to me is that someone read it and thought it was an endorsement of their society

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when i was in college a girl in my class was of the opinion that someone should call cps on them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

when i was in college a girl in my class was of the opinion that someone should call cps on them.

On... Omelas?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

On... Omelas?

yes. this was like 20 years ago, but it was very memorable.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

its not a stretch to read into the story that the abuse in Omelas extends beyond just neglect, what is really fascinating to me is that someone read it and thought it was an endorsement of their society

Ah, but you see the abuse is what fueled the development towards utopia. An ethical society would not validate the abuse by doing anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Do they know what foster cities can be like?