Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All planes have a maximum speed at which bad things start to happen, but when you get into very fast, high flying planes it becomes more complicated than just a single number. If you've done some real life pilot training you may remember the difference between indicated airspeed and true airspeed -- as you climb and the air gets thinner, your IAS goes down from the reduced pressure on your instruments, even as your TAS goes up from the reduction in drag. Furthermore, at transonic or supersonic speeds, your maximum safe speed is probably going to be limited by shockwave formation, which will occur at a characteristic Mach number. But the speed of sound also changes with altitude -- as the air gets colder, Mach 1 (in TAS) decreases. That needs to be factored in as well. And finally, the limiting factor might be different in different situations -- it might be regular aerodynamic buffeting, or structural heating, or supersonic shockwave formation.

So to answer your question, no, I don't know what the F/A-18's Vne is, and there likely isn't a single figure. Its maximum speed is given as Mach 1.7 ish at 40,000 feet, which is about 1125 knots true, and 550 knots indicated. At low altitude your maximum speed will be a larger IAS that corresponds to a smaller TAS and Mach number -- let's say at 5000 feet your can get 790 IAS/850 TAS/M1.1. And neither of those are "plane falls apart" speed, -- just the speed that is achievable with the engine power you have. And that doesn't take into account external stores, either; any weapon or fuel tank you carry will add drag and has its own maximum carriage speed as well. It's complicated!

Regarding DCS: their F/A-18 is much more detailed and accurate than the MSFS one, though most of that is in the weapons and sensors that MSFS doesn't implement. The MSFS one is decent for civilian use. They are also two different models (C versus E).

Regarding the trim issue: yeah that looks wrong and backwards, lol. The Hornet is a fly-by-wire plane, where the surfaces don't necessarily correspond exactly to control inputs you make in the cockpit, so it's not out of the question that the flight control system could be doing that intentionally. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it's much more likely that the game is just bugged.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
looks like it's locked in takeoff trim

remembered it opposite somehow

Stringent fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 16, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Inner Light posted:

not sure if DCS beats MSFS with this aircraft.

You should play DCS

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The dcs version is a lot more fun imo, realism wise it’s a different order of magnitude

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DCS’ systems and flight modeling with FS’s terrain and weather engine would be ideal.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Inner Light posted:

not sure if DCS beats MSFS with this aircraft.

It's so much better it might as well be a different aircraft.

MSFS 2020's F18 is fun, sure, but DCS's F18 is, like, you're actually in the plane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

DCS’ systems and flight modeling with FS’s terrain and weather engine would be ideal.

I would never play anything else if this existed.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

After learning more about DCS World and Eagle Dynamics, I just wish Microsoft would bite the bullet and make Asobo hire them, get them visas, whatever it takes. How amazing would the collaboration be? Even if it took 5 years or something it would be worth it to see what they could come up with.

Again I don't know much about DCS and if I buy a gaming computer I want it to be future proofed for like $2500, so I am sticking with MSFS for now, and just enjoy videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA49DDZ13LA

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Inner Light posted:

After learning more about DCS World and Eagle Dynamics, I just wish Microsoft would bite the bullet and make Asobo hire them, get them visas, whatever it takes. How amazing would the collaboration be? Even if it took 5 years or something it would be worth it to see what they could come up with.

Again I don't know much about DCS and if I buy a gaming computer I want it to be future proofed for like $2500, so I am sticking with MSFS for now, and just enjoy videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA49DDZ13LA

I'm sorry I might have not read properly, but have you actually downloaded and tried DCS once? If your system can handle MSFS, I think there's a good chance it can also do DCS. The base version with just the Caucasus map, the SU25 and TF51 is free. If you just want to test the performance a bit give it a try imo.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm sorry I might have not read properly, but have you actually downloaded and tried DCS once? If your system can handle MSFS, I think there's a good chance it can also do DCS. The base version with just the Caucasus map, the SU25 and TF51 is free. If you just want to test the performance a bit give it a try imo.

Ah I'm playing MSFS on Xbox Series X, no gaming PC at the moment, it's always something I'm eyeing though. I decided to buy an Xbox instead for now since it's quite a bit cheaper than a nicely future proofed rig, and then I get Forza Horizon and MSFS :)

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Lord Stimperor posted:

hnng i don't think i can hold out much longer

The rabbit hole only goes deeper from here. Soon you’ll be looking at 1.5 boxes of thrustmaster cougar mfds.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Inner Light posted:

Are you following our Let's Play of DCS?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989829

Taps posted:

VF-101's personal stylist and photographer Fabio found the only place locally to develop the film from his ride along with today's operation, and is in the process of rushing those beautiful images of NATO's heros to the populace in dire need of a some hope and relief.

More rolls of film to come:

"Boooooo, hiiisss:"

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 17, 2022

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Here's a story about Eagle Dynamics. Back in 2011/2012 or so they decided they wanted to make a module that allowed players to control ground units like tanks and surface to air missile batteries with the same level of detail as the aircraft. Supposedly, in the early stages of development (and this was around the dawn of third parties in DCS) eSim games, who make the Steel Beasts (which is to tanks what DCS/MSFS are to planes) approached ED of their own initiative and offered to develop the module for them using the decades of experience with ground simulation and their own contacts in Western militaries across the world.

ED said lol and decided to do it themselves, and a decade later Combined Arms is an unfinished, half assed punchline while Steel Beasts has implemented helicopters from scratch.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Inner Light posted:

Ah I'm playing MSFS on Xbox Series X, no gaming PC at the moment, it's always something I'm eyeing though. I decided to buy an Xbox instead for now since it's quite a bit cheaper than a nicely future proofed rig, and then I get Forza Horizon and MSFS :)

Ah gotcha. In that case I reckon the next best thing that'll improve your experience are nice peripherals and add ons. MSFS really is a lovely game and if you can set yourself some challenges you will spend hundreds of happy hours in there.

Snapshot posted:

The rabbit hole only goes deeper from here. Soon you’ll be looking at 1.5 boxes of thrustmaster cougar mfds.

I feel caught because after thirsting for that high end stuff I was actually looking at those Mfds going "hmmmm those prices aren't that bad" before I snapped out of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

if you can set yourself some challenges you will spend hundreds of happy hours in there.

The Nevada bush trip was a lot of fun. All assists off, your plane has no navigation equipment beyond a magnetic compass, and your top speed is about 90 knots. It's a good pilotage challenge. I had SkyVector open on my laptop beside me the whole time.

:madmax:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Adding another MSFS complaint I noticed, tons of green roads around the areas I fly, including bright green interstates :(

Example, bridge is the correct reasonable color:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just pretend it's a saturday and everyone is mowing their lawns and blowing the clippings into the street

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Inner Light posted:

It would take 20 years, with each major release both looking and running worse somehow. If you asked for advice in their community support forum, some German guy would point out that the engine runs best in Glide and ask why you thought replacing your Voodoo 3 was wise.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I love eagle dynamics as much as the next guy but didn’t one of their devs recently get deported and banned from usa for finding and using an actual f16 TM? Imagine Microsoft owning that lawsuit…

Dcs and its illegal planes must be made by Russians for the fidelity we demand

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ethanol posted:

I love eagle dynamics as much as the next guy but didn’t one of their devs recently get deported and banned from usa for finding and using an actual f16 TM? Imagine Microsoft owning that lawsuit…

Dcs and its illegal planes must be made by Russians for the fidelity we demand

TM = throttle module?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 17, 2022

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
TM probably refers to technical manual. Depending on the industry, the level of detail can vary from, badly translated Chinese Amazon trinket pamphlet“ to “how to rebuild a supersonic fighter after battle damage”

I think it’s pretty clear what’s being referenced here

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Didn’t some Arma Devs get arrested for espionage for taking pictures of military bases?

It seems being a military simulation dev and poor judgement and self preservation skills run hand in hand.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

TM probably refers to technical manual. Depending on the industry, the level of detail can vary from, badly translated Chinese Amazon trinket pamphlet“ to “how to rebuild a supersonic fighter after battle damage”

I think it’s pretty clear what’s being referenced here

Yes, in this case I believe he had obtained an actual us military technical manual which are given out to units. Hence why the penalty wasn’t more drastic, they’re not super hard to obtain, but you’ll (probably) know it’s illegal when you get one and aren’t a crew chief or something

I say not super hard because that plane is very old and many countries have it now. If you’re getting manuals for the f35 well… nice to meet you mr. James Bond

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 17, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ethanol posted:

Yes, in this case I believe he had obtained an actual us military technical manual which are given out to units. Hence why the penalty wasn’t more drastic, they’re not super hard to obtain, but you’ll (probably) know it’s illegal when you get one and aren’t a crew chief or something

I say not super hard because that plane is very old and many countries have it now. If you’re getting manuals for the f35 well… nice to meet you mr. James Bond

Half or mostly serious question, do you think we are OK with the F/A-18 manual posted or should I back that one out? It's not as old as the F-16.... :)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Half or mostly serious question, do you think we are OK with the F/A-18 manual posted or should I back that one out? It's not as old as the F-16.... :)

I don’t know where you got it, but when they specifically say crap about being United States govt distro only I would uh fly away from that.

My last education lesson is that unclassified and do not distribute are not the same thing to the United States government. You still can’t distribute most unclassified govt property

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 17, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ethanol posted:

I don’t know where you got it, but when they specifically say crap about being United States govt distro only I would uh fly away from that.

It was on Google pretty clearly but I am happy to play it safe, so thank you and nevermind!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Plenty of people have been busted for leaking classified information in war games. AFAIK War Thunder has to repeatedly hammer it into their community moderators because people just keep leaking government secrets to argue about how fast a turret should rotate exactly

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Snapshot posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who just dropped $560 on Honeycomb gear.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kilonum posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who just dropped $560 on Honeycomb gear.

You and I both brother, can't wait for their pedals.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If you've been curious about the fancy payware planes but didn't want to shell out 40 bux, or you just like the Cessna 152, the the freeware JPLogistics mod upgrades the Asobo 152 with improved physics, grognard level cockpit interaction with circuit breakers, doors, etc., carburetor simulation (including flooding and :supaburn:), a realistically anal checklist, and enhanced avionics with DME and autopilot (no GPS yet). They're working on a new version that will add three selectable avionics configurations, state saving, plug fouling, maintenance, a control EFB tablet, and a taildragger option. Note that this does not replace the default 152 and liveries must be converted (I think the texturing is a bit different to get rid of mirroring) to work with it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Woolie Wool posted:

If you've been curious about the fancy payware planes but didn't want to shell out 40 bux, or you just like the Cessna 152, the the freeware JPLogistics mod upgrades the Asobo 152 with improved physics, grognard level cockpit interaction with circuit breakers, doors, etc., carburetor simulation (including flooding and :supaburn:), a realistically anal checklist, and enhanced avionics with DME and autopilot (no GPS yet). They're working on a new version that will add three selectable avionics configurations, state saving, plug fouling, maintenance, a control EFB tablet, and a taildragger option. Note that this does not replace the default 152 and liveries must be converted (I think the texturing is a bit different to get rid of mirroring) to work with it.

gently caress yes. I've been trying to learn VOR and most of the stock planes are GPS/MCDU only.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You can use VORs with glass, but it is a major pain in the rear end setting it up on the G1000 and the 152 is a much better way to learn.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

You can use VORs with glass, but it is a major pain in the rear end setting it up on the G1000 and the 152 is a much better way to learn.

How is it a major pain in the rear end?
I'ts super easy on the G1000 to select a VOR. Hell you don't even have to know the freq, just the name and you can search nearby ones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I mean...you just tune the nav radio to the desired frequency, then click the CDI button until it's on the correct source, and turn the OBS knob to set the course. The display is essentially the same as a mechanical VOR.

It's marginally easier with an analog gauge because there's less stuff going on, but I don't think it's difficult with a G1000.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

IMO the mechanical CDI is a bit more unintuitive because it indicates where you are relative to the beacon with a 'From' and 'To'. By contrast, the G1000 CDI just gives you an arrow that you can spin and when it crosses your beam, you know that's where you need to go.

Skooma, is there anything in particular that you find difficult? I bet we can talk you through it and once it clicks, it clicks.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
A few pages ago there was some chat about hardware. It's been a loooong time since I played flight sims and I want to get back into it. I was originally thinking I'd splurge on the Thrustmaster Warthog (it's what I'd long thought to be the be-all-end-all of HOTAS setups), but after doing some research I learned there are some strong competitors in the "crazy expensive" market. Sounds like everyone has their own opinion, but Virpil seems to be holding the majority of recommendations.

How easy is the Virpil stuff to set up from a software perspective? Is it pretty much plug and play, or am I going to have to mess around with custom drivers, horribly designed apps, etc.?

What is the recommended combo for Virpil? This is what I'm thinking from their website:
- VPC WarBRD Base (can this reasonably sit on a desk or will I need to get mounts for this stuff, which I'd rather avoid?)
- VPC Constellation ALPHA-R
- VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

And which set of rudder pedals should I look at?

Or maybe after all that, the Warthog is just as good I should get that? For reference, I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D at the moment, so anything would be a big upgrade...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lord Stimperor posted:

IMO the mechanical CDI is a bit more unintuitive because it indicates where you are relative to the beacon with a 'From' and 'To'. By contrast, the G1000 CDI just gives you an arrow that you can spin and when it crosses your beam, you know that's where you need to go.

Skooma, is there anything in particular that you find difficult? I bet we can talk you through it and once it clicks, it clicks.

Not really, but thanks! Most of my problems come from the sim not working right. I'll use the real life freq and crosscheck it against the sim's freq and there's a non zero chance it won't work, even though I'm right next to it (but not so much as for it to spin around).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FPS_Sage posted:

What is the recommended combo for Virpil? This is what I'm thinking from their website:
- VPC WarBRD Base (can this reasonably sit on a desk or will I need to get mounts for this stuff, which I'd rather avoid?)

The WarBRD is specifically designed to be their on-desk option. You can hook it up to a table mount, but it's not as well or as purposefully designed for it as the Mongoos base (which pretty much necessitates a table mount to even work sensibly). As part of this, it is also not meant to be used with extensions and has a pretty wide range of motion to get a lot of precision out of it. The size and design of it makes it a bit of a faff to change springs and cams in, but you'll probably only ever do that once or twice in its entire life so meh. Have a good set of pliers handy.

The Constellation grips are good general-purpose options. Again, smaller than the Mongoos (which helps on a desk), and with a very decent set of buttons and — more importantly — hats galore. You'll be paying for that smaller size and also for the twist axis so if you want to get pedals as well, you might want to consider whether you need that axis or if it will just stay locked all the time, in which case you might want to look at the Mongoos again. Just understand that ether combo gets pretty tall (the Constellation just slightly less so), and optimally, you'd still want either a low table, or some kind of lower side-tray to lower it a bit. It works well enough without it, but yeah… if you have the option, use it.

The throttle is top notch. Your biggest problem will be to get into a knife fight with the programming software (this holds true for all Virpil stuff, but especially so for the throttle if you want to use the mode switch as a mode switch). Also, you will end up in endless debates with everyone on what detents are the best option. Be warned. :D

As for pedals, it comes down to two questions: do you want to rest your heels on the floor, and how big are your feet? Like all their other stuff, the VPC ACE can be tweaked a whole lot to adjust for angles and positions, but it will always still pretty high off the floor, and you might need to stretch a bit to reach the toe brakes unless you're big-footed. Or you can just dangle your heels in the air, which is how I use mine. Basically, choose between the Flight Pedals and Interceptor depending on where you want your heels to be. Oh, and definitely get one of the variants with brakes — you'll kick yourself later otherwise. If the whole package comes out as too darn expensive, retain that one thing: you will want toe brakes unless you specifically and exclusively only ever want to fly some old WWII bird with differential braking only.

quote:

Or maybe after all that, the Warthog is just as good I should get that?
The Warthog is pretty much the definition of more than good enough.
Even so, it is definitely not as good as the VPC (or VKB) stuff. The smoothness, precision, lightness, ease of tuning, and definitely the programmability in Virpil's bases are in a different league entirely. You pay a premium over the Hog, but that money actually goes somewhere. The TMWH is the best of an older generation; the VPC stuff has almost a decade worth of good design ideas and sensibilities poured into it.

Of the things listed, the one that shocked me the most when I transitioned from TMWH to VPC was actually the last one: the fact that you program the stick in hardware and don't have to rely on any kind of silly old software layer in order to get beyond just basic button inputs is a tiny detail with huge consequences. Even if you want different profiles for different games (and you rarely do unless you play a lot of old games with limited control customisation), it is entirely possible to make that something you set using the switches — hell, the throttle almost begs for that kind of setup. It is a bit tricky to do due to how you should only really program one device at a time, but it is entirely feasible to make the throttle switches change how the stick (and rudder for that matter, if you want to go completely nuts) behaves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yes, this is because what the G1000 and most glass cockpits simulate is properly a HSI/RMI combo, not a traditional OBS. There are mechanical versions of those as well, but they are pretty uncommon especially now because why would you put one in when you can throw in a few G5s? I think the Carenado Seneca V has one, for example.

And, Skooma, if you want I can go gently caress around in the sim and figure out what works for your desired plane/location combo if you want a bit more of a walkthrough.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

FPS_Sage posted:

A few pages ago there was some chat about hardware. It's been a loooong time since I played flight sims and I want to get back into it. I was originally thinking I'd splurge on the Thrustmaster Warthog (it's what I'd long thought to be the be-all-end-all of HOTAS setups), but after doing some research I learned there are some strong competitors in the "crazy expensive" market. Sounds like everyone has their own opinion, but Virpil seems to be holding the majority of recommendations.

How easy is the Virpil stuff to set up from a software perspective? Is it pretty much plug and play, or am I going to have to mess around with custom drivers, horribly designed apps, etc.?

Or maybe after all that, the Warthog is just as good I should get that? For reference, I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D at the moment, so anything would be a big upgrade...

I also suggest you look at WinWing. They have a great F-18 HOTAS thats better than a Warthog for the price, and tomorrow the 20th they are releasing their F-16 variant of that.