Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

B33rChiller posted:

????? Like snakes, or spiders, or????
Could you explain this please?

Wasps baby

Not Blackie Lawless W.A.S.P they're cool

The assholes who fly around, they get me it's ambulance time baby Macaulay Culkin style

Madkal posted:

I thought it was just listening to the metal band Venom repeatedly until you feel nothing any more

Funny enough I do listen to Venom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ahhhhhh. Thank you. And gently caress those yellow jacketed assholes.
Please do get so immune that your soul actively repels them from this land.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

B33rChiller posted:

Ahhhhhh. Thank you. And gently caress those yellow jacketed assholes.
Please do get so immune that your soul actively repels them from this land.

Yeah, bees are chill for the most part (not that it helps if you're very allergic to them) but yellowjackets and bald-faced hornets can go suck a gently caress.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yellowjackets scare the ever living piss out of me. It’s completely irrational but I can’t be in the same place if one comes near.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

Yellowjackets scare the ever living piss out of me. It’s completely irrational but I can’t be in the same place if one comes near.

They are a gently caress, and you're right to be nervous. loving bastard things will sting you if you so much as happen to graze them as you walk past. I would embrace their genocide.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can definitely understand Quebecois being allergic to gillets jaunes.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Oh not just allergic to wasps im allergic to those yellow jacket fucks too

Solidarity in anaphylaxis brothers

But for some loving reason IANAD i'm NOT allergic to honeybees.

They sting me, stinger stays in me, I'm good

They sting me, no stinger in me, it's Epipen and 911 time (adam cole) baybee

stab fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 20, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

eXXon posted:

I'm allergic to those fucks too. It will always bother me how what was essentially a labour movement (even if it had some distasteful aspects) got turned into some western independence bullshit in Canada.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

eXXon posted:

Is that a france thing? :confuoot:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Aww man I missed boot chat. I have a pair of these for winter:

They're for clearing the driveway and when I'm on site in the winter. I'm only ever on site for inspections, which frequently involve standing around outside in the cold, so needed something well insulated. They're fantastic - warm feet at all times, lightweight for the size, high enough with a drawstring top so the snow stayed out of them clearing the 48cm of snow from monday, etc.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Those are some good boots, but they look like the boots a yellowjacket would wear and they're giving me the heebie jeebies.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

stab posted:

Is that a france thing? :confuoot:

Yes, it's a very :confuoot: social movement that was somehow imported directly into landlocked Alberta from France as PT6A said, in defiance of numerous customs regulations. Also, I apologize greatly because it should be gilets. I will be making a donation to Gillette's The Best Men Can Be campaign fund to atone.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I used to have a pair of boots like that and they were bright orange. They were rated for like -100 or something stupid and they each weighed at least 1kg but they were warm as gently caress and were great when being out in the snow, and they were so garish that I always knew which boots were mine.

Unfortunately some gently caress broke into my garage about 7 years ago and took them, I've never had as good a pair as them (and don't want to pay again since I picked them up for like 80% off)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
CLOMP CLOMP gently caress SNOW

PEDAL PEDAL ALSO gently caress SNOW

I almost got stuck in a little tree well on the weekend because of those loving boots

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Case numbers can't go up if you don't test people. Time to let 'er rip.

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1483947135183773696

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

EngineerJoe posted:

Buckle up, at least one Ontario university has sent out letters to staff asking if anyone wants to volunteer for 2-3 weeks in local health care facilities.

Edit: found a tweet about it

https://twitter.com/DrVivianS/status/1483583730635755520

There are different versions of the emails going around depending on the audience. The email I saw was asking for help taking support calls or preparing meals.

So far in my year with the BC government we had an all staff email asking people to volunteer with the forest fire services, then one asking people to volunteer with the flood relief, and then a couple of weeks ago asking for people to volunteer in the vaccination clinics

I think that basically sums up how the year has gone

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Maybe they would get more "volunteers" if they paid them.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Case numbers can't go up if you don't test people. Time to let 'er rip.

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1483947135183773696

Is that high-pitched sound me screaming? Because I think I might be screaming.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Mad Hamish posted:

Is that high-pitched sound me screaming? Because I think I might be screaming.

I'm pretty much at the point of giving up. If we're going to reopen everything at the peaks of waves and actively suppress testing and other health measures, honestly not seeing the benefit of trying to avoid COVID at this point.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

enki42 posted:

I'm pretty much at the point of giving up. If we're going to reopen everything at the peaks of waves and actively suppress testing and other health measures, honestly not seeing the benefit of trying to avoid COVID at this point.

I hear it. Every loving night. Pretty much forever, from the sounds of things.

"mild"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Coward Douglas Ford has finally recovered from the hard work of partially digging out his comms director's car and driving people around for half a day, and has now remembered there's an election

Time to let it buck and deal with rolling shutdowns from mass infections.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

lol Ontario is just going whole hog with the US right wing playbook

https://twitter.com/RichardCityNews/status/1484162255910588417

Literal "they're dying WITH covid, not FROM covid" statement from public health

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

What the hell is a causal death? Like in jeans in a tshirt?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

enki42 posted:

How is this bad? Thousands and thousands of people are getting covid. Some are going to be hospitalized and die for reasons that aren't covid related. They should clearly be counted separately. I know at least Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan already do this.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

enki42 posted:

Wait so the crazies were right about that the entire time? Are you loving kidding me?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Count Roland posted:

How is this bad? Thousands and thousands of people are getting covid. Some are going to be hospitalized and die for reasons that aren't covid related. They should clearly be counted separately. I know at least Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan already do this.

If they were consistently doing it from the start, I'd have less of a problem. This feels pretty clearly like changing the rules of the game midway through so that the situation doesn't look as bad (also note how much they emphasize when big numbers are "catch-up")

Also even if the cause of death isn't directly COVID, COVID certainly isn't doing you any favours if you died from heart conditions or kidney failure or a million other reasons you could be in the ICU and die.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Count Roland posted:

A person who dies from a heart attack because covid destroyed their lungs a few weeks ago will no longer be a covid death

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

"Don't worry, he actually died of a pneumonia that just coincidentally developed after his COVID infection"

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

A person who dies from a heart attack because covid destroyed their lungs a few weeks ago will no longer be a covid death

Would this have been a covid death before?

Surely it should be but it must take longer to determine, is that why they update after the fact sometimes?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
So this is like the opposite of that conspiracy theory where the tinfoil-hatters were saying that doctors were just slapping Covid as cause of death on everything for...reasons? I assume they were somehow supposed to be paid for every covid death or something.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

Pretty sure that would still count as causal death, especially if they were admitted because covid was destroying their lungs.

In any case there's no single good way to define a covid death. Excess death numbers are much better, and the eventual studies that will go back and actually dig deeply into these numbers to determine the true toll, but that will take years.

In the short term it is still a good idea to count these numbers separately since most people don't get seriously ill.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Count Roland posted:

Pretty sure that would still count as causal death, especially if they were admitted because covid was destroying their lungs.

In any case there's no single good way to define a covid death. Excess death numbers are much better, and the eventual studies that will go back and actually dig deeply into these numbers to determine the true toll, but that will take years.

In the short term it is still a good idea to count these numbers separately since most people don't get seriously ill.

One of the concerns, informed by what has happened in the US, is that this distinction would be used as an excuse to classify such deaths as non-covid deaths for the sake of artificially deflating the coronavirus-related death total. So of course you're right that someone whose lungs have been racked by the coronavirus and then dies of a respiratory condition is rightfully considered as someone who died from the coronavirus, but the concern is not (entirely) over the rightful classifications.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Saalkin posted:

What the hell is a causal death? Like in jeans in a tshirt?

causal =/= casual

unless you were joking

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Count Roland posted:

In any case there's no single good way to define a covid death.

"Died as a direct result of symptoms of covid infection or subsequent complications thereof" seems pretty simple actually?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

COVID has been shown to damage kidneys pretty significantly. Would a kidney failure by a COVID-positive case always list the cause of death as COVID? What if the patient had diagnosed CKD prior to that? Dialysis patients have been decimated (in some cases quite literally) from COVID, so this isn't a super rare thing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It's purely a way to create a good-looking downward spike in hospitalization/death numbers that they can take credit for in the short term.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hand Knit posted:

One of the concerns, informed by what has happened in the US, is that this distinction would be used as an excuse to classify such deaths as non-covid deaths for the sake of artificially deflating the coronavirus-related death total. So of course you're right that someone whose lungs have been racked by the coronavirus and then dies of a respiratory condition is rightfully considered as someone who died from the coronavirus, but the concern is not (entirely) over the rightful classifications.

"This wasn't a GRID death, our very-not-gay friend died of several simultaneous, opportunistic infections that only affect immunocompromised people because of... um... red dye number five"

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

causal =/= casual

unless you were joking

Reading is hard but it was a joke yeah

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Saalkin posted:

Reading is hard but it was a joke yeah

:phone: Did she have a casual death or a formal death?
:phoneb: It was more like cocktail attire.
:phone: That's tasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I’d rather die than put on a tux