Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I think it's all part of the shift where teams want to control their own news. They don't want things to come out via beat reporters, they want it to come out through them or company employees like Rapsheet. Mainly because they can control the messaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kiimo posted:

Maybe it's just me but if you are in the AFCW with Herbert and Mahomes the answer is not hiring a defensive guy to be your head coach, I would think the answer is getting someone that will let you compete offensively first and foremost and then having a DC take care of that side of the ball.

You aren't going to be so good defensively that you will stop those guys. It's all pointless unless you can keep up.

On the other hand, one of the things that surprised me about the coordinator hire list someone posted earlier was that OCs becoming coaches have really not been any more successful than DCs. I would've thought there would at least be some difference, improving the offense is surely the easiest way to become a better team fast, but they looked about the same in terms of successes and failures.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1483868957589319681

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You can't hire me!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

You can't hire me!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Dodds did the same thing with the Carolina GM job last year, I believe. He's made it clear he only wants to leave if he really thinks it's the right opportunity (similar to Ballard before he was hired here). I'm guessing his conversations with ownership didn't instill him with much confidence.

Eberflus, though, has made it very clear he wants to be a head coach somewhere and will absolutely bolt for the first opportunity.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Giants also putting in a request for Quinn.

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status/1483921972086071300

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Best coach of the carousel

https://twitter.com/BillyM_91/status/1483932471892840455

Play
Apr 25, 2006

tfw when you rip on the hash pen before a press conference and it comes out a lot thicker than you expected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81SFCMmQ9E

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This hire would be fine

quote:

The Panthers interviewed Colts RBs coach Scottie Montgomery for their offensive-coordinator vacancy Wednesday.
This was an in-person interview after the two sides met via Zoom previously. It’s a sign Montgomery is a serious candidate to replace Joe Brady. Montgomery is wrapping up his first season as the Colts’ RBs coach, helping guide Jonathan Taylor to a rushing title. He has previous college experience as an OC at Duke and Maryland. Montgomery also spent time on Mike Tomlin’s staff with the Steelers as WRs coach.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

This hire would be fine

You can at least look at his resume see that the units he’s been in charge of have been good, which is a step up from most of the other names on the list.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 20, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can at least look at his resume see that the units he’s been in charge of have been good, which isn’t a step up from most of the other names on the list.

No I'm serious. I like it.

Maybe he's some diamond in the rough. Maybe he gets a chance to take over after Rhule is poo poo canned heading into the bye week. Maybe he just runs the ball 40 times a game and literally makes the games end more quickly.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I could just be missing something by being an Atlanta fan, but what's the appeal of Quinn? I mean, 28-3 was the high point of this man's life. He not only blew it in a few minutes, but then aggressively sucked until he was fired.

Why do so many people even consider putting him in change of an NFL a good idea? Besides NFL owners being complete idiots.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

No I'm serious. I like it.

Maybe he's some diamond in the rough. Maybe he gets a chance to take over after Rhule is poo poo canned heading into the bye week. Maybe he just runs the ball 40 times a game and literally makes the games end more quickly.

I was agreeing with you, I meant to say he IS a step up from the other names on the list. He might not be good but he at least has a chance to be based on who he’s coached, unlike a bunch of the other guys getting interviewed.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I could just be missing something by being an Atlanta fan, but what's the appeal of Quinn? I mean, 28-3 was the high point of this man's life. He not only blew it in a few minutes, but then aggressively sucked until he was fired.

Why do so many people even consider putting him in change of an NFL a good idea? Besides NFL owners being complete idiots.

Overall he has a winning record as a head coach(43-42). He was the playcaller for some of the best Seattle defenses last decade and he's clearly done a lot of growing and learning as a defensive coach since then. He's a fairly competent guy who made the Super Bowl his first go around as a head coach so he's definitely in line for another chance.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

quinn took a cratering team and built them back up to the SB, then they stalled out pretty bad. after he left they became severe dogshit. i can't imagine any of his other coaching experience beyond those shallow optics is all that relevant to being a GM candidate. no one is trying to hire him to coach

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cavauro posted:

i can't imagine any of his other coaching experience beyond those shallow optics is all that relevant to being a GM candidate. no one is trying to hire him to coach

:confused: he's interviewing for coaching jobs, though?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Overall he has a winning record as a head coach(43-42). He was the playcaller for some of the best Seattle defenses last decade and he's clearly done a lot of growing and learning as a defensive coach since then. He's a fairly competent guy who made the Super Bowl his first go around as a head coach so he's definitely in line for another chance.

I think the main issue is that Atlantas defenses were never particular good under him so it’s a case where he’s good when he can focus on being the DC but once you make him the head coach he gets worse at the think he’s ostensibly good at and he’s not that good at the other head coach stuff either. Once Shanahan left Atlanta things went pretty rapidly downhill.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I wonder how much of the Quinn buzz is due to his personality/talking points/etc. Arthur Blank seemed to eat the whole "In Brotherhood" thing with a spoon...maybe other owners find it appealing. The Giants ownership comes to mind.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

:confused: he's interviewing for coaching jobs, though?

absolutely not. smokescreen

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This seems like is more likely than not.
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1483958763350491136

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Source is named Him Jarbaugh

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s so Miami Dolphins that our owner is more loyal to a school than his own nfl team

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't really get the school loyalty, either. I don't understand people who cling to their college like it's the whole identity. It's just a loving school.

Maybe it's because I've never really had my school do anything for me except put me in debt. Their career offices were useless for helping me get a job.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

You just don’t understand a Michigan Man.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ross' name is literally on the most prestigious school within U of Michigan so he's kind of a diehard.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think the main issue is that Atlantas defenses were never particular good under him so it’s a case where he’s good when he can focus on being the DC but once you make him the head coach he gets worse at the think he’s ostensibly good at and he’s not that good at the other head coach stuff either. Once Shanahan left Atlanta things went pretty rapidly downhill.
The Dallas defense also changed from historically terrible in 2020 to OK-and-sometimes-even-good in 2021

some of that is Parsons, some of that is variance with turnovers, but some of it is probably Quinn too

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Ross is not willing to take Harbaugh from Michigan but he will sit back and let another NFL team take him? Makes perfect sense!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think a lot of that was personnel though, Atlanta did not draft very well while Quinn was there. I guess it's up to teams to decide how much of that was Quinn and how much of that was Dimitroff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Ross is not willing to take Harbaugh from Michigan but he will sit back and let another NFL team take him? Makes perfect sense!

prediction: he doesn't want to ask since he doesn't want to be embarrassed if Harbaugh says no and goes to another team.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I really could do with some regular season Harbowls in the NFL

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

I think a lot of that was personnel though, Atlanta did not draft very well while Quinn was there. I guess it's up to teams to decide how much of that was Quinn and how much of that was Dimitroff.

Quinn had a lot of influence over the defensive side of the drafts at least.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I don't see the appeal of Quinn either. There are coaches who have succeeded after a change of scenery, like Andy Reid or Tony Dungy. But everything after the 2016 season was a long, gradual decline for the Falcons, and he finished going three losing seasons in a row. What is there that could make anyone think he still had something left in the tank?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I think it's totally fine to hire Dan Quinn as your HC, with an emphasis on fine. I just don't get why he's a HOT name.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Professor Funk posted:

I just don't get why he's a HOT name.
The Cowboys' sudden and drastic turnaround on defense?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like if this is true then he is going to be the Raiders new head coach. And I'm fine with that

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

yea i feel like Quinn was carried by Shanahan and Matt Ryan.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I think dan quinn is a good motivator, at least for a little while. He'll come in, yell some platitudes and get navy seals to do some silly trainings. The team will buy in, be energized, and play better.

Problem is that's he's all style with no real substance. The cheerleading loses its effect after a while because he doesn't have any real ideas for how to make things better besides that burst of energy that he can inject.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't really get the school loyalty, either. I don't understand people who cling to their college like it's the whole identity. It's just a loving school.

Maybe it's because I've never really had my school do anything for me except put me in debt. Their career offices were useless for helping me get a job.

I feel this way about most walks of life. National pride, college pride, even sports fandom is a way for people to feel like they are a part of something bigger, despite having never contributed to what might make it great. It just feels like something people cling to to add meaning to their life, without actually making their lives more meaningful. It's baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Michigan people in particular are so extra about it. I've got like eight or nine Michigan grads in my extended family and there isn't a single one of them who has anything less than a slavering amount of enthusiasm for the school. I liked my college, I enjoyed my time there I don't really have anything negative to say about it, but the people who make it a significant part of their identity always struck me as weird.

That's not even getting into the fact that the majority of Michigan people you meet will act like it's the single greatest place to live in the world despite the fact that four or five months out of the year you'll die of exposure if you get locked out of your house.