Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

None of the NATO nations would actually put boots on the ground on ukraine if russia attacked. Hell, even something like airspace would probably be an issue, it looked like Germany straight up said they couldn't use their airspace to transport weapons to ukraine.

So Im guessing a few nations told Biden to cut back on the blustering or the alliance would start fraying, and thats the last thing Biden wants.

Like Poland saying they wont be critical of china just to make the US happy, its not economically viable. More and more countries are going to be like this as the US loses the ability to project power as more countries become more essential to each other.

Idk how mad are the Poles at Russia for giving them their only non fascist government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1483917627609202688

we have troops in poland and romania?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

This is a conspiracy by Big Cartography to force everyone to buy new maps for eastern Europe with new dotted lines and everything

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

more like Big Cartelgrophy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Idk how mad are the Poles at Russia for giving them their only non fascist government?

Extremely mad, but I'm pretty sure they are still dependent on russia for gas and its winter.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Fortaleza posted:

more like Big Cartelgrophy

big wall maps don't sell themselves

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm not sure the blob ever wants actual warfare. They just want tensions to get clicks/views and to rally for more defense spending. If we actually started fighting who knows how many toys we've spent billions on don't actually work when they have to be properly used and not just shown off in carefully controlled tests. Easier to just build and build and hype tensions for more contracts, more strategy conferences, more think tanks, etc.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Extremely mad, but I'm pretty sure they are still dependent on russia for gas and its winter.

If they've been just as callous as everyone else about letting the poor die I'd plague go keep capitalism going I don't see why they wouldn't let a bunch of poor people freeze to death to score some Nationalist revenge points.

They probably wouldn't, but if anyone was going to pull the trigger that's not the US, I'd bet on Poland 0

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

yeah attacking an old hated enemy is the oldest trick in the book when you are facing dissent at home

it doesn't ever work though and only makes the situation a lot worse. Ask the French revolutionaries or the Czar.

Eh, I haven’t noticed that much active dissent for a while to be honest. Navalny and his movement have been wiped for nearly a year.

This is entirely about NATO and where the “lines of control” are and yes, it does seem NATO is pretty divided at this point. (It has pretty stupid for Finland to speak up about membership all things considered.)

The “blob” just wants to call Russia’s bluff and continue the Eastward push.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh no! Not the strong, unwavering dollar!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The whole Biden response is something. I don't know what order these were given, but these are two separate responses on it.
https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1483919997042929666?s=20
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1483917489079824387?s=20

"He's never seen sanctions like the one's I've promised...their banks will not be able to deal in dollars," and promising that the Ukrainians will fight hard against an invasion.

"He's trying to find his place between China and the West...I'm not so sure [Putin] is certain what he is going to do. My guess is he will move in, he has to do something."

It's very funny to compare the US saying a Russian march on Kyiv is imminent while Ukraine says the situation is unchanged
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1483876785758605314?s=20

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Russia had already started to rely less on the dollar.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, you usually don’t just give your adversary a free pass, Biden sure is a character.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1483929633703796740?s=20

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1483934564632473606?s=20

Not sure if it's a Reagan joke or an old people joke but lol

DiscountDildos has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Jan 20, 2022

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

"He's never seen sanctions like the one's I've promised...their banks will not be able to deal in dollars," and promising that the Ukrainians will fight hard against an invasion.

casually destroying dollar hegemony, you love to see it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Atrocious Joe posted:

The whole Biden response is something. I don't know what order these were given, but these are two separate responses on it.
https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1483919997042929666?s=20
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1483917489079824387?s=20

"He's trying to find his place between China and the West...I'm not so sure [Putin] is certain what he is going to do. My guess is he will move in, he has to do something."

It's very funny to compare the US saying a Russian march on Kyiv is imminent while Ukraine says the situation is unchanged
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1483876785758605314?s=20

Do it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The housing market is totally insane in the US right now. I'm hearing tales of houses in my area getting sold for 50k above the asking price.

I live in LA and a house near me sold for 600k over asking price of 1.5 million a month or two ago

it was a 2000sqft normal house

edit: I can find several dozen that fit that description just clicking through recently sold. this one is listed $1,499,000. Sold $2,030,000.

1925 built. spanish style, 1800sqft and the garage is illegally converted into an apartment called an "ADU"

https://www.compass.com/listing/3772-valleybrink-road-los-angeles-ca-90039/929049771096371145/

seems like a nice house. must be loving insane to get a house in LA when asking price is half a million too low to even be in the game

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Jan 20, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Malleum posted:

if it happens at all, it's going to be georgia 2.0, where the vaunted Elite Super Special American-Trained forces fold like wet paper to the first russian advance, retreat to cities to get shelled and bombed for a few days, and then everyone goes home. all the sweaty nerds jacking off over afghanistan style quagmires and millions of zinc coffins are projecting.

Yeah, though there is the outside chance that the Turkish drones they bought will clown all over the Russian forces. I don't think we have had any legit test if the Russian air defense is good against those and I suspect there are a lot of NATO goons who are ready to fight to the last Ukrainian to find that out.

Lostconfused posted:

There's like three sides at least to this Ukraine poo poo.

There's NATO countries that are super horny for war against Russia.

There's Ukraine that thinks it's already in a war with Russia in Donbas.

There's Russia that's economically integrating Belarus and the Donetsk Republic.

If Russia does a Georgia in Ukraine Northstream 2 is probably dead. Which is great for US shale gas and might fluff some semblance of life back into NATO for a few years.
I keep coming back to the fact that preserving US hegemony is pretty expensive for European capital. Dumb sanctions without the easier access to waivers that US companies get. All that Chinese money. The governments they can call permanently getting owned. The submarines. But in a real crisis they'd all have to salute and get in line.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ardennes posted:

Eh, I haven’t noticed that much active dissent for a while to be honest. Navalny and his movement have been wiped for nearly a year.

This is entirely about NATO and where the “lines of control” are and yes, it does seem NATO is pretty divided at this point. (It has pretty stupid for Finland to speak up about membership all things considered.)

The “blob” just wants to call Russia’s bluff and continue the Eastward push.

I wasn't talking about russian dissent

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol, same.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
here's hopign putin crushes the nazis with his own slav nazis

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao rip cpt obvious for posting about western censorship at the barrel of a gun o7

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Authoritarianism is when government does something i don't like

and if someone else agrees that makes it totalitarian

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao

I'm very glad this woman's experience was tolerable. That doesn't change the fact that the prospect of being forcibly locked up with a strange man in and of itself is insane to me. As men it is very easy to dismiss this as oh it worked out fine, no big deal.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

I like how Biden says Russia has occupied other countries at great costs in the past. Yeah, they sure paid dearly in Georgia and Syria.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

wouldn't it be easier to list the countries the US doesn't have troops in?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

crepeface posted:

lmao

I'm very glad this woman's experience was tolerable. That doesn't change the fact that the prospect of being forcibly locked up with a strange man in and of itself is insane to me. As men it is very easy to dismiss this as oh it worked out fine, no big deal.

yeah that situation could have gone much worse

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1483895860375298051

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

her lesbian moms must be furious after all their hard work freeing finland from soviet oppression

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The idea that Russia "has to do something" is totally unfounded. The geography of Donbas funnels attacks from the west into what would be a massive killzone for Russian artillery. All they have to do is wait for Kiev to make the first move.

At this point they've already made NATO flinch by moving some military units around, which means they've won. Putin called our bluff.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Biden's threats about sanctions are just so when nothing inevitably happens he can say he got putin to back down.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Biden, in a moment of clarity from his prescription drug haze, coherently reads the military report on his desk

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Antonymous posted:

I live in LA and a house near me sold for 600k over asking price of 1.5 million a month or two ago

it was a 2000sqft normal house

edit: I can find several dozen that fit that description just clicking through recently sold. this one is listed $1,499,000. Sold $2,030,000.

1925 built. spanish style, 1800sqft and the garage is illegally converted into an apartment called an "ADU"

https://www.compass.com/listing/3772-valleybrink-road-los-angeles-ca-90039/929049771096371145/

seems like a nice house. must be loving insane to get a house in LA when asking price is half a million too low to even be in the game

never buy from compass

its overvalued trash

they do a new paint job and remodel and jack up the sale price to take their cut from the remodel

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The idea that Russia "has to do something" is totally unfounded. The geography of Donbas funnels attacks from the west into what would be a massive killzone for Russian artillery. All they have to do is wait for Kiev to make the first move.

At this point they've already made NATO flinch by moving some military units around, which means they've won. Putin called our bluff.

russia needs to be a serious modern liberal power and quit it with the military buildup and instead they need to sponsor a bunch of pro-Russian NGOs in Ukraine and they need to train and fund a bunch of terrorist groups to start blowing up Kiev, like any responsible first world democracy would

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

HiroProtagonist posted:

Authoritarianism is when government does something i don't like

and if someone else agrees that makes it totalitarian

This is why there is a stark difference between China and the West. As bad as things can get, there are many self-correcting mechanisms that eventually curb the worst of the excesses. Cold comfort for those who lose their lives literally or metaphorically I know but when was the last time China had such a soul-searching moment? The day the CCP comes out and acknowledges shitstorms like Tiananmen was a mistake and that those responsible, if still alive should be punished; the day they allow independent media to examine the mass persecution of Falun Gong and unearth those who are responsible and let Falun Gong victims sue the CCP for recompense, I'll be onbard with you.

Until then, I see a giant canyon between CCP led China and Western nations, USA in all its gory injustices included.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Stringent posted:

This is why there is a stark difference between China and the West. As bad as things can get, there are many self-correcting mechanisms that eventually curb the worst of the excesses. Cold comfort for those who lose their lives literally or metaphorically I know but when was the last time China had such a soul-searching moment? The day the CCP comes out and acknowledges shitstorms like Tiananmen was a mistake and that those responsible, if still alive should be punished; the day they allow independent media to examine the mass persecution of Falun Gong and unearth those who are responsible and let Falun Gong victims sue the CCP for recompense, I'll be onbard with you.

Until then, I see a giant canyon between CCP led China and Western nations, USA in all its gory injustices included.

loving LOL, gently caress the reactionaries at tianamen, gently caress the psycho falun gong.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Stringent posted:

god they're so loving lame

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stringent posted:

Didn't they acknowledge that some mistakes were made during the great leap forward decades ago

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stringent posted:

what were the people at Tiananmen protesting for? What exact 'rights' did they want?

Was it the right to lynch African students?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao still beating that fail gong