Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I just replayed through Banner Saga 1, I forgot what a fantastic soundtrack this game has. This is a 10 minute track, but the first minute and a half is a good preview of the magnificent cacophony of horns to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRAn8_VGM28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

Immersion is important and good (or at least *can* be those things), but tedious simulation vastly less so.

Though frankly at this point immersion, already a highly subjective and nebulous thing to begin with, has been turned into yet another meaningless term to be used as a bludgeon against badwrong games.

It doesn't help that some people use the term to describe a "cinematic experience", which is the opposite of immersive. GoW's brand of immersiveness is tedious.

That whole "you can walk to that thing you see in the background" stuff is about interactivity, that's the immersive part. It doesn't have to be a mountain, it can be the roof of a building, or even a sewer. And it doesn't need to be open world either.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And his complete deadpan delivery with literally everything he does.

That makes it even better, 100%

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Beartaco posted:

I just replayed through Banner Saga 1, I forgot what a fantastic soundtrack this game has. This is a 10 minute track, but the first minute and a half is a good preview of the magnificent cacophony of horns to come.

this is pretty good final fantasy tactics fare

too bad about, it's banner saga so the most effective strategy is to leave all your enemies at 1hp

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fur20 posted:

this is pretty good final fantasy tactics fare

too bad about, it's banner saga so the most effective strategy is to leave all your enemies at 1hp

It will always be weird to me that when you've almost won a fight in Banner Saga it changes the rules to become a better srpg so they knew what they were making was tedious and boring.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Barudak posted:

It will always be weird to me that when you've almost won a fight in Banner Saga it changes the rules to become a better srpg so they knew what they were making was tedious and boring.

Elaborate please?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

Elaborate please?

So in Banner Saga the turn order always goes: One from your team, one from the other team. So if your party has 6 alive members and their party has 3 alive members, each of their crew will get to go twice in the same time each of your crew gets to go once. Once you're down to one enemy left the battle enters cleanup mode where, each round, all of your party members get a turn before the one remaining enemy gets theirs.

e:

Because of this and because characters get weaker the lower they are on life, it's probably better to leave all the enemies at 1hp and then pick them all off at the end. Killing an enemy does give you one willpower though to improve an attack, which isn't a huge bonus but I feel like is enough of a reward for me to not bother with the 1hp strategy especially when given the right ability that one willpower can get a second enemy down low as well.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 18, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

Elaborate please?

Combat is already weird because your health is also your attack stat, so the entire game is a thing of rocket tag to inflict death spirals on the other side. Hence Fur20's combat about the smartest thing to do is to cripple enemies.

In combat, both sides alternate moving one unit at a time following some sort of randomized initiative and looping back around to your first unit once all of yours have gone. This means having fewer units is obscenelt more valuable than anything else, so combat becomes basically abusing that your enemies won't be able to move a unit again to react to what you've done on the battlefield so it turns an SRPG into kind of a weird go backwards and shoot experience where you just cripple your enemies while constantly repositioning away from the units they have that will be able to act next until all of them are so weak they can't even hurt you and them you mop them up.

In the mop up phase it suddenly turns into a tradition each side takes turns moving all their units and those you can actually like strategize. Except, again, in the mop up phase your enemies are likely so weak they can't actually do anything to you anyway its just more time wasting.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'd also like to add, each character has a pool of willpower which makes it important to have a full party. You can't just have your main damage dealer solo a fight with 6 dudes, knowing that for each round of attacks they do, you get to do six in return, as your character will immediately run out of willpower and need to rest. This leaves them unable to use abilities and for some of the heavily armoured enemies can reduce your damage done to them by 75%.

I think the same is true for enemies.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 18, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"Each team only moves 1 piece per turn" would just fine as a chess/boardgame style mechanic if you got to choose which character to move. But it sounds like the initiative system picks the character you have to move this turn for you? What an incredibly weird design decision :confused:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Each team only moves 1 piece per turn" would just fine as a chess/boardgame style mechanic if you got to choose which character to move. But it sounds like the initiative system picks the character you have to move this turn for you? What an incredibly weird design decision :confused:

You pick your own teams initial order, so for me that means the Varls (big giants) go first so that they can get into the fray without the itty bitty humans running around their feet and getting in their way, then the ranged humans in to plink off some enemy armour and then finally move the melee humans in to finish dudes off. Once the battle's started the turn order is set, if one of the characters dies then the next character in that teams initiative will take their place in the initiative.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

There are a lot of experiments going on around the edges of the new HITMAN trilogy and I don't think they all landed perfectly but hitman 2 (2018) was one of my favorite games of all time. In #2 they really hit their stride imo in terms of knowing what works and what doesn't in their murder puzzles, and it's clear that they took their time in designing the maps and making them feel natural. The DLC and Hitman 3 have some really great story bits but I feel like they're generally lacking as puzzles and they feel less organic to me, like there's much less going on that's not directly relevant to being railroaded down a story path by compass pips. This and the final train mission imo are probably what we have to look forward to in their james bond game imo, for better or worse

Also it's a franchise that has gotten dark edginess wrong beforeand I feel like they got the humor right

Didn't know they were doing a James Bond game, and that sounds rad.

And for a while it seemed like that developer was really trying to push a 'grindhouse aesthetic' that no one asked for and no one particularly liked, between Absolution and Kane and Lynch.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beartaco posted:

the art/music/storytelling are all great and they did a really good job of maintaining continuity of all of your decisions across the trilogy (where most games might, at best, honor a handful of choices and move everything else you did back onto the rails). It's a shame the combat is so tedious though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't know they were doing a James Bond game, and that sounds rad.

And for a while it seemed like that developer was really trying to push a 'grindhouse aesthetic' that no one asked for and no one particularly liked, between Absolution and Kane and Lynch.

Absolution was embarrassing and weird, but Kane and Lynch (especially 2) kinda ruled, though?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

John Murdoch posted:

Absolution was embarrassing and weird, but Kane and Lynch (especially 2) kinda ruled, though?

I mentioned it earlier that even though I never played it the multiplayer for Kane and Lynch 2 sounded like some really interesting poo poo. I remember its a bank heist where the loot is split between the surviving players and friendly fire was always on. It sounds like an interesting psychological experiment and how heist movies sometimes go.

Have any games come out that has the same idea where working together is important but more survivors means less rewards?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

poverty goat posted:

the art/music/storytelling are all great and they did a really good job of maintaining continuity of all of your decisions across the trilogy (where most games might, at best, honor a handful of choices and move everything else you did back onto the rails). It's a shame the combat is so tedious though.

I genuinely think if some big publisher had come in and pumped a bunch of money they would have had one of the biggest fantasy franchises of the decade on their hands. How much would full animation/voice acting have cost for this thing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beartaco posted:

I genuinely think if some big publisher had come in and pumped a bunch of money they would have had one of the biggest fantasy franchises of the decade on their hands. How much would full animation/voice acting have cost for this thing?

Wasnt the rumor that Microsoft is contracting them out for a new game?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Is Hades actually good? Because goons tricked me into buying Bloodborne and Final Fantasy 7 Remake which are terrible.

OTOH goons got me to buy EDF2017 on 360 and now I buy all the main EDF games because they own.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its on game pass so pretty low risk to find out

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Is Hades actually good? Because goons tricked me into buying Bloodborne and Final Fantasy 7 Remake which are terrible.

OTOH goons got me to buy EDF2017 on 360 and now I buy all the main EDF games because they own.

Hades is the best/ most polished game of it's type to come out in a long while but if you don't like top down combat rougelites with increasing difficulty but small enemy variation then its only good.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I only have a ps5 and an old crappy pc that can just about play Cook Serve Delicious 2 without dying.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's okay

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

Bloodborne is alright but it's a souls-like so if you don't like souls-likes then you won't like Bloodborne either

FF7R was obviously going to bad lol good job getting tricked into stepping on a rake right in front of you

Hades is very good, but you won't like it if you don't like the action-game roguelikes that were popular at the time. It's way better than Dead Cells IMO. It's kind of got a Bastion feel but is way more polished and more fun

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Hades is the one action roguelike I ever got really into, save for maybe Spelunky. It's good! The gameplay's enjoyable but I think where it sings for a lot of people is the story, the characters and the art style which are all exceptional for the genre.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah a full single run in Hades isn't all that long once you get a grip of things and there's plenty of ways to get a sense of progress even before you get to the point of getting to the end. It's very easy to get into a "one more attempt" cycle with it. The story and characters were interesting and likeable, and even those parts seem dynamic enough I don't think I've encountered much repeated dialogue or world development. I've never even really been able to get into Supergiant games or roguelikes before, but Hades left a really good impression.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 20, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When people say the story in Hades is good I think they mean the characters/Interactions. The story itself is pretty meh

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

As someone who hates Souls games and Final Fantasy in general... Hades is actually good, yes. Again, if you're not into rogue-likes it's still probably not gonna be your jam but it's very well done.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wanted to play Children of Morta because of the art style so I bought it, but the gameplay is instant mendokusai. There's too much poo poo, I just don't care, the text is small.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

hades is bad. it has good art and storytelling but the gameplay is too thin and repetitive for the glacial pace at which they trickle out dialog w/ the NPCs

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

It seems that you're averse to good games so yes, you should probably also avoid Hades

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quote-Unquote posted:

Hades is good.

Bloodborne is vastly overrated.
FF7R is bad.

If it helps, here are other good games:

Golf Story
A Short Hike
God of War
Uncharted series
Ghost of Tsushima
Super Mario 3d World

Hope this helps.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

When people say the story in Hades is good I think they mean the characters/Interactions. The story itself is pretty meh

What is the story if not the interactions and conflicts between the characters?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Waltzing Along posted:

Hades is good.

Bloodborne is vastly overrated.
FF7R is bad.

If it helps, here are other good games:

Golf Story
A Short Hike
God of War
Uncharted series
Ghost of Tsushima
Super Mario 3d World

Hope this helps.

XCOM 2

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hades is okay. Not bad, not great, okay.

7R was enjoyable in the moment but the honeymoon period ended rather quickly. It had a very good combat system though and a whole lot of people didn't like it because they think every single action game needs to be Dark Souls.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think people who never took video games “seriously” aren’t going to enjoy blood borne or FF7R. To be clear, not taking games seriously is the correct and good approach to video games it just isn’t conducive to enjoying those two games.

kntfkr posted:

I wanted to play Children of Morta because of the art style so I bought it, but the gameplay is instant mendokusai. There's too much poo poo, I just don't care, the text is small.

What is mendokusai

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

What is mendokusai

unkawaii

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

What is mendokusai

"pain in the rear end horseshit"

basically, too much information density makes you tune out. that's why mid- and late-life mobages add in a bunch of ridiculously specific rules-lawyer abilities for your units, so you can catch players unaware in pvp. mobages early in their lifecycles rely mostly on math like normal games, so your brain can crunch it instantaneously; but when your opponent is equipped with skills and weapons that take three minutes to read and process per unit, it makes you, the player, vulnerable to microrules and loopholes.

but sometimes, you get a game that does this not to gently caress with you but just because the devs thought it was a good idea at the time

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Please stop doing this

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
im sorry thats its colloquial genre as spoken by human beings do you need me to newspeak that for you or something

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fur20 posted:

im sorry thats its colloquial genre as spoken by human beings do you need me to newspeak that for you or something

As spoken by people who speak a different language than the one spoken on these forums; most people here don't know wtf that means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's not that clear as a native speaker either, the summary is :jerkbag: