Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I'm afraid at this point to look at how much money I've spent on plug-ins. Pretty sure I could have bought a decent used car.

I am definitely this way with ios stuff, since they are usually $5-$10 each, but they add up. I'm trying to use the VSTs I have before I buy more (uh...from now on). I've bought Pigments, Baby Audio Spaced Out, and the Spitfire BBC Orchestra Discovery lately and thus far I'm happy with them all. (I know you can get BBC for free, but I could afford it and I've really enjoyed all their free Labs stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Trig Discipline posted:

Raum is indeed great.

Speaking of holiday gifts, Arturia's just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-xv4FMi0s

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know of any more/have a running list of the free plugins floating around for the holidays? Would love to snag any that might be time sensitive but worth grabbing.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

RR in Spaces is for surround channels if you're delivering quad

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know of any more/have a running list of the free plugins floating around for the holidays? Would love to snag any that might be time sensitive but worth grabbing.

I follow this thread on Gearspace which is nominally about Plugin Alliance but is in fact a general plugin deals & promotions thread in practice that often has ongoing deals posted.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
There is also r/audioproductiondeals and Bedroom Producers Blog chases all the freebies.

Don’t get too hooked to these though, buying plugins is not making music.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

Oh and sorry about just posting an image in response to this, wasn't trying to be an rear end in a top hat but it definitely comes across that way.

I've told myself that I have enough plugins now and should actually start making things again. There's a couple of things I will buy if they end up having killer deals. (this will last a few days at most)

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Positive Grid is running a 50% off sale. What's the difference between BIAS Amp's sims and BIAS FX's amp sims? If I have the former, is it worth getting the latter?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Thanks for the heads up about the arturia free plugin, made me buy pigments too so I guess this campaign is working well for them.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Anybody know why PluginBoutique no longer lets me make purchases? I repeatedly get "Payment gateway rejected your transaction" errors. My CC is fine, I even called the bank. I was able to buy stuff in 2020 but I've missed out on Black Friday and now Xmas because the same drat error over and over. I've tried all the workarounds, I am a tech person (different browsers, computers even). It's 100% on them but they have no answer aside from "aw pooey...maybe it will work later!"

It's so aggravating because I have "tokens" with them and they bundle free VSTs and I hate to leave money on the table, but poo poo just flat out refuses to work. I hate struggling to give money and I'm at the end of my rope with them.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

have you tried a different credit card?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Hmm actually, the CC I used in 2020 was stolen last summer. This newer CC has never worked with them but it works with everything else (amazon, sweetwater, reverb, other online music stores). Like I said, I even called the bank to verify there were no issues with the card. I've updated and verified the new info 10 times over.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok that's a "no" though

try a different card

actually it's a "kinda" since the old card worked fine

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

havelock posted:

Edit: deeply enjoying myself making only stuff for me (not trying to be overly negative)

This is all right. I think people don't seem to realize that making music is the end in itself, not selling it.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Achmed Jones posted:

ok that's a "no" though

try a different card

actually it's a "kinda" since the old card worked fine

I don't have another CC, my bank said it's an issue with their store.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I have had issues using some payment methods with Plugin Boutique, weirdly I can't use PayPal with them since last month. No idea why, everything seemed totally normal but then the transaction page never went to the finished delivery page and when I tried to re-do the transaction all I got for my troubles was three identical charges that did finally drop off. Using my card directly works.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ProperCoochie posted:

I don't have another CC, my bank said it's an issue with their store.

correct. the issue is that their store doesn't work with your credit card. that is why i keep suggesting to try a different one.

you could use a debit card i guess but i probably wouldn't do that due to the increased risk.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone have a good saxophone library? Not trying to carry a song with sax, just want to add a few little layered stabs and lines to some rhodes-heavy pop/rock type stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Anyone have a good saxophone library? Not trying to carry a song with sax, just want to add a few little layered stabs and lines to some rhodes-heavy pop/rock type stuff.

Do you have Kontakt? If so Embertone's Sensual Sax is surprisingly good for the money. It's only like $20 if I recall correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDvRO8O8Iw

The interface is silly but it's actually a really convenient design - the giant SEX knob is basically just controlling how much stank you want on your sax lines, and cranking it up to about 3/4 can get you some really nice, fairly natural sounding leads. Lower values are more useful for horns that are meant to be part of a section.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Trig Discipline posted:

Do you have Kontakt? If so Embertone's Sensual Sax is surprisingly good for the money. It's only like $20 if I recall correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDvRO8O8Iw

The interface is silly but it's actually a really convenient design - the giant SEX knob is basically just controlling how much stank you want on your sax lines, and cranking it up to about 3/4 can get you some really nice, fairly natural sounding leads. Lower values are more useful for horns that are meant to be part of a section.

Thanks! I don't have kontakt and I've never fully understood the business model. You buy Kontakt for a lot of money and then you buy third party plugins for it?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kontakt is a sampler. you buy both the sampler and the sets of samples. you can get a lot of things free, though, and if you're not interested in making your own samples and messing with them, kontakt player plays the sample sets you buy and is free

some sample sets require full kontakt, though, due to them including kind of preset type stuff in addition to basic "this is the sample file" stuff. i think.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Thanks! I don't have kontakt and I've never fully understood the business model. You buy Kontakt for a lot of money and then you buy third party plugins for it?

It comes with a decent chunk of content, particularly if you get one of the Kompletes. It's basically the industry standard software sampler, though, so there's definitely a shitload of third party content as well. I don't know how that's a confusing business model any more than "you buy a DAW and then you buy plugins for it" is. You buy a computer, it comes with some software but not everything you could possibly want. You buy a TV and you get some shows over the air but you have to buy some content separately. It's just how some things work.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Achmed Jones posted:

some sample sets require full kontakt, though, due to them including kind of preset type stuff in addition to basic "this is the sample file" stuff. i think.

IIRC it's just a more expensive license fee for the creator to have their Kontakt instrument work with the free version.

So yeah, you pay for Kontakt, then the creator pays to license their instrument on Kontakt, then you pay the creator for the instrument.

It kinda only works because it's popular.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

prom candy posted:

I use this, it's free

https://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-saxophones/

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
^^ Thanks I'll check that out!

Trig Discipline posted:

I don't know how that's a confusing business model any more than "you buy a DAW and then you buy plugins for it" is.

I guess Ableton Packs are the closest things? Most of the plugins I own aren't part of a single DAW's ecosystem. But I get what you're saying.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Don't sleep on Komplete Kontrol (which is free and included in every version on Komplete) if you're after an equivalent to Lives Simpler/Cubase's sample tracks etc that is DAW agnostic.
It's effectively the sampler engine from Maschine and for single samples, not multis, I'm finding it's rapidly becoming my go to, especially as you can chain pretty much all your effects after it in a nice tidy package.
Yes it benefits from having one of NIs controllers but I can't say I've noticed any significant impact on cpu performance from hosting any of my Vsts in it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Don't sleep on Komplete Kontrol (which is free and included in every version on Komplete) if you're after an equivalent to Lives Simpler/Cubase's sample tracks etc that is DAW agnostic.
It's effectively the sampler engine from Maschine and for single samples, not multis, I'm finding it's rapidly becoming my go to, especially as you can chain pretty much all your effects after it in a nice tidy package.
Yes it benefits from having one of NIs controllers but I can't say I've noticed any significant impact on cpu performance from hosting any of my Vsts in it.

I keep trying to remember to start experimenting with Komplete Kontrol, but whenever I boot up Cubase I end up doing something instead. Maybe today is the day.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 20, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

prom candy posted:

I guess Ableton Packs are the closest things?
Also kinda like preset packs for a synth that uses samples (e.g. wavetables, or just straight samples for a sampled based synth like Iris). You could create the presets yourself if you had the samples/wavetables that the pack provides.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It kinda only works because it's popular.
I think it works because for many users/devs it's better than the alternative. They could just sell all the samples/variations/articulations/etc on their own (as a pack of wav/aiff files), but then it's a non trivial amount of work for a user to load/map those into a sampler of their choice (plus setting up the effects & parameters that make the instrument more of a finished product). Also, for many companies it's probably ultimately cheaper and/or more efficient to develop a Kontakt player instrument (one that doesn't require the end user to own Kontakt) with the license fee than it is to release their own standalone instrument (more initial dev time, and then more ongoing software support). It's similar to how it's easier to create a synth or effect in Reaktor or Max than it is to build one completely from scratch.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

McCoy Pauley posted:

I keep trying to remember to start experimenting with Komplete Kontrol, but whenever I boot up Cubase I end up doing something instead. Maybe today is the day.

I've put a blank instance in all my Cubase templates so it stares at me, and have also removed all my NI vsts from my plugin list so I make better use of the inbuilt browser.
Granted it may be different for others but my VST collection is effectively

Komplete 13 and a couple of extra Heavyocity elements libraries
Pigments
Izotope things
Spitfire Labs and a couple of Originals
Cubase's included stuff

So I find it's much quicker for me to get to roughly where I want by using the KK browser to dial into the right ballpark rather than going "I want a pad, Absynth has good pads if I remember. Oh but so does Massive X... Hmmm". And spending forever picking a plugin.

I have the tiny m32 controller and a maschine mikro, and tbh there isn't much difference between using these or just kb+m so whilst they are nice and integrate as well, they are not as fundamental to the user experience as it may seem.

Don't get me wrong, I love picking a synth and deep diving it (oh my god the latest Pigments update!!) but when I'm in "music" mode rather than "sounds" mode it's good to be able to just find stuff quickly and get on with writing, then go back later to tweak/replace.

Edit : ie just reach for a sawtooth

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 20, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

I have the tiny m32 controller and a maschine mikro, and tbh there isn't much difference between using these or just kb+m so whilst they are nice and integrate as well, they are not as fundamental to the user experience as it may seem.

So you use the Maschine Mikro while you're doing all this in Cubase? That sounds interesting -- I'm mostly just recording guitar or bass DI into Cubase, or using a keystep for keyboard stuff, and have a Launchpad X I mess around within Ableton, but not enough to have justified picking it up. I had always figured the NI hardware was just for messing around in their software, and hadn't really made the connection that it could be useful to use while using KK within Cubase. The m32 feels like it would be duplicative of the Keystep, but the mikro seems like it could fun, as I watch this video.

I hear you on the time that gets lost when you're just browsing through a lot of VSTs trying to remember which ones do what sounds. I need to look more into using KK.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McCoy Pauley posted:

I keep trying to remember to start experimenting with Komplete Kontrol

Same here. I even have a Kontrol Mk2 keyboard, I just never actually use the Kontrol interface for some reason.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I use the Maschine for most of my percussion and drums that arent Steven Slate drums (because that thing has bonkers mapping and I've put a lot of effort into my Cubase drum map for it).
I have the Maschine software loaded in as a VST and primarily treat it as a drum machine/sampler.
Being a 16 pad dealy it also maps really easily to Groove Agent in generic midi mode.

I don't touch the actual song sequencer in it (partially cos I just Don't Get It) but I will use the clips kinda like Ableton's session view, making variations and then drag them into the Cubase timeline as required after jamming them out.

I was lucky enough to get it at the beginning of the first lockdown in 2020 when it was on a pretty deep sale through NI, then my upgrade path to Komplete 13 was also through various sales etc.

It's only the Mikro I have so no screens or knobs, it's pretty much a bank of 16 decent pads with the performance strip and on its own I wouldn't necessarily say "this is the one true controller", but paired with the M32 (also was on sale, purchased later to replace my ailing old 25 key controller) they compliment each other nicely and don't eat up a huge wack of deskspace either.

My writing is all over the place, but deep down I'm a bargain bin Nine Inch Nails wannabe so having easy access to be able to make hosed up drums and synth patterns with most of the mapping done or at least quick to do is where Maschine and KK shine for me.

Tbf if you have a keystep or a beatstep they're probably on similar ground, but NI arent great at highlighting the stuff their software can do without the hardware. Which I guess makes sense.
Still, KK is free as part of Komplete Start and that comes with a bunch of stuff to mess with and see if it gels

Edit : just a heads up, because of Cubase's twatty proprietary way of handling its included content, you can't just drag stuff directly from the Cubase browser to Maschine like you can Groove Agent. Any other samples you can

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 21, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Nice -- thank you for the detailed write up. Very interesting. I think I'll keep my eye out for deals on the Micro -- sounds like it would be very handy.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

Nice -- thank you for the detailed write up. Very interesting. I think I'll keep my eye out for deals on the Micro -- sounds like it would be very handy.

Old dead man needs his beeps and boops

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

petit choux posted:

Old dead man needs his beeps and boops

I'm really just a bunch of ROM. It's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess. But I ain't likely to write you no poem, if you follow me. Your AI, it just might. But it ain't no way human.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm really just a bunch of ROM. It's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess. But I ain't likely to write you no poem, if you follow me. Your AI, it just might. But it ain't no way human.

It's the very best.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Him reading it was my very first mp3. Lots of folks criticized that version, it's my favorite. In his young stoner voice.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
First, heads-up about a free plugin and voucher deal:
I'm about to start a synthwave project, and was looking for a plugin that mono-izes low-end content on a master bus. After a little research I landed on NUGEN Audio's Monofilter, which both does what I'm looking for and supposedly makes up for the phase problems that many filters can apparently introduce in mid/side applications.

Turns out that right now NUGEN Audio is offering both a free plugin and a $100 voucher if you fill out a little survey. (You must provide an email address in order to get both.) The free plug is apparently brand new, and not yet available for purchase. It's not something I have a use for (it fixes phasing issues with multi-mic recordings), but if any of you mic up drum kits or do live performance recordings, you might want to have it in your arsenal? https://nugenaudio.com/aligner

I was gonna buy Monofilter anyway, and with the voucher I was able to get their "focus bundle" which also includes Stereoizer (which comes highly recommended) and Stereoplacer, which does some more mid/side magic, I think. Anyway, check it out if you're in the market for any of their stuff.

ALSO:

NonzeroCircle posted:

I use the Maschine for most of my percussion and drums that arent Steven Slate drums (because that thing has bonkers mapping and I've put a lot of effort into my Cubase drum map for it).
I have the Maschine software loaded in as a VST and primarily treat it as a drum machine/sampler.
Being a 16 pad dealy it also maps really easily to Groove Agent in generic midi mode.
I own a Maschine, but never really got into the workflow, however for YEARS I have used their expansions as my primary source for drum samples. They're already organized and normalized, etc. Just some really great, immediately usable stuff. I'm currently using the Kontrol m32 as a keyboard controller (am working in very cramped conditions now that my bedroom is also my WFH office, and no longer have room for a full-size controller), and I also hardly ever actually use the Komplete Kontrol stuff, since I normally have an idea which tools I'm gonna use in any given project.

Do you ever use Cubase's Beat Designer? I make most of my drum kits in Battery 3 (and sometimes Groove Agent) and program all my patterns in Beat Designer, using a 16-pad drum map I made for my Battery kit template. It's one of the reasons I will probably always be married to Cubase.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Since getting Maschine I couldn't tell you when the last time I opened Groove Agent was, I never really gelled with the Beat Agent aspect of it.

I thoroughly agree with the expansion content being a major draw for Maschine, especially if you wait for a sale or use the 50% off vouchers they chuck out.

When I'm aiming for "real drums" like if I'm doing metal or whatnot it's actually faster for me to just draw my patterns into the drum map. As mentioned, I put a fair amount of time into making it make as much sense as SSD5 allows for all those articulations, so in the list/note order on the left I have all my Hihats grouped together.

I've also set up a little 'randomization/humanization' macro so once I've got my pattern in I select all the bits I want to ungrid, hit ctrl+shift+r and everything selected will randomise its position by a few ticks and its velocity by a couple points either way.
I know GA has its humanize features which I did used to use. Although it's come on leaps and bounds kit wise, the acoustic ones just aren't what I want/need for the music I use acoustic kits for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Since getting Maschine I couldn't tell you when the last time I opened Groove Agent was, I never really gelled with the Beat Agent aspect of it.
I couldn't tell from your post if we were on the same page, so just to be clear, I meant Beat Designer, Cubase's MIDI insert plugin for drum pattern programming. I mainly use it to trigger Battery, although it does have expanded integration when used with Groove Agent.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I know GA has its humanize features which I did used to use. Although it's come on leaps and bounds kit wise, the acoustic ones just aren't what I want/need for the music I use acoustic kits for.
Same; while most of my stuff is some form of EDM, when I'm doing more traditional indie rock I either use the NI Abbey Road kits or Toontrack EZ Drummer kits and just record the MIDI from my keyboard controller.