Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Count Uvula posted:

It's a Danish person doing their best American accent, it's impressive they don't sound weirder.

Put like that: yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's a dwarven accent

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The voice actor is from Puerto Rico, grew up in Texas, and lives in Denmark. I think his accent is just naturally all over the place.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Anno posted:

I think a ton of more casual RPG players loved Outer Worlds at a time when similarish games like ME:A weren't living up to expectations. It was well spoken of from a lot of people and won a decent number of end-year awards. It's just like polished*-but-not-too-ambitious, which is the opposite of what I want from Obsidian. To be fair to them though it was at a time where they probably needed a relatively surefire success, to the point that they took Microsofts buyout. Which on the whole has been quite good imo - I think Avowed and OW2 will be very good.

*for this kind of game

TES / Fallout style games are hugely popular and a lot of the reviews were pretty much "hey if you liked Fallout 4, you'll love"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I thought the new Rainbow Six was supposed to be Left 4 Dead? It's actually a more casual GTFO.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There is one quest in Outer Worlds that perfectly summarizes the game.

You are tasked with finding a worker who has disappeared. He was last seen going to visit some family living outside the town. You go there, and they invite you in for dinner. They behave creepily and suspicious. At this point, I had a hope that the writers were planning to subvert the standard "cannibals invite you for dinner" story and maybe there is something else going on?

But no, they are cannibals. No subversion.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sab669 posted:

After Outer Worlds, I'm not trying to get excited for Avowed... but it's certainly on my radar.

I apparently put all of 1.3 hours into PoE1, never played #2. I loved Divinity:OS 1+2, dunno why this didn't grab me. Maybe I'll check it out after I get bored of Rise (soon)

It's because the combat is real-time-with-pause, not turn-based (thought they did add a turn-based mode to 2).

It sucks rear end, and always has!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ymgve posted:

You are tasked with finding a worker who has disappeared. He was last seen going to visit some family living outside the town. You go there, and they invite you in for dinner. They behave creepily and suspicious. At this point, I had a hope that the writers were planning to subvert the standard "cannibals invite you for dinner" story and maybe there is something else going on?

They are having you... (pause) for dinner!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ymgve posted:

Yeah, I think this is both why it was more successful than recent Obsidian games, and also kinda disappointing to actually play. It's just a straightforward Bethesda-style sci-fi RPG, and that is a genre that hasn't had many releases since Fallout 4, so it makes sense that people were hungry for one. But it's also very generic, and doesn't really have much going on.

It's a shame because there's definitely potential there, the more old fashioned Buck Rogers style of the technology and the heavily anti-capitalist leaning of the plot, but it never really develops into anything. It seems likely that the sequel will be a big improvement, since they have that Microsoft money now, and the first game was a proven success (and Bethesda still hasn't released another Fallout or Elder Scrolls). I'm cautiously optimistic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also people were hungry to bathe in the blood of capitalists.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Having people speak it up because "It reinforces my ideology!" was all I needed to know to not get my hopes up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

It's a Danish person doing their best American accent, it's impressive they don't sound weirder.

I guess someone made them take the potatoes out of their mouth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jack Trades posted:

I guess someone made them take the potatoes out of their mouth.

... excuse me?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

credburn posted:

I decided to give PUBG another go... now it wants me to complete 10 AI matches before it'll even let me do multiplayer? AND it forces me to do it in third person? Come on.

Press V to switch to FPP inside the training match. Also you can just do the 4 missions (win a chicken dinner, loot a crate, drive 2000m, and get 5 kills) in the training matches and you don't actually have to complete all 10 then.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Okay well LEAP sucks, nevermind.

THE WAIT FOR TRIBES CONTINUES

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

sebmojo posted:

They are having you... (pause) for dinner!

I was just glad they didn't manage to shoehorn in a 'Tower Of Hanoi' puzzle section.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Ciaphas posted:

... excuse me?

It's a Swedish joke, they think that Danes sound like they're speaking Swedish with a mouthful of potatoes.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Outer Worlds came out after everyone was lovely with Bethesda for making the Fallout game an MMO with no NPCs and now the OG Fallout 1&2 guys are making a Falloutlike to save us all! Expectations were absurdly high.

Disco Elysium also came out a week before and showed everyone incredible RPG writing and great political jokes so people were ready for the same.

Outer Worlds is fun and it succeeds at what is trying to do, which is to be a wacky little "B" game. If you go in expecting the new Fallout or an in-depth examination on the failures of capitalism you will be disappointed. Much like how Fallout 4 is a dogshit Fallout game but a pretty good Bethesda game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Joe Man posted:

BREAKING: New potential TRIBES-like game?!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906930/LEAP/

Decided to look around for a brief glimmer out of hellworld to see if there's any news of an actual Tribes successor and came across this and saw that they just opened it up for beta access today which you can request.

Shaz…bot? :ohdear:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Outer Worlds coming a week after Disco Elysium AND having a similar name to an incredibly more ambitious and inventive game is just :lol: Obviously it wouldn't have improved the game if you renamed it and released it at a different time but still...

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Anyone able to tell me about Titan Souls now that I'm finishing up Death's Door? I tried it years ago when I got it free and just recall it being a very open ended world and difficult. I've really liked DD and want to give TS a proper try if it's worth it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

snoremac posted:

Anyone able to tell me about Titan Souls now that I'm finishing up Death's Door? I tried it years ago when I got it free and just recall it being a very open ended world and difficult. I've really liked DD and want to give TS a proper try if it's worth it.

Haven't played DD, but Titan Souls is... strange. It's a slow and atmospheric walk across a mostly dead pixel art overworld, with gimmick boss fights gating zone progression. The gimmick is that you have a single arrow to shoot, as well as a power to pull it back to you. And bosses, as far as I have been, can all be one-shot. Finding the time/spot for that one-shot is each fight's gimmick. I haven't finished it, think I'm stuck at a water serpent that I couldn't figure out at the time, but it's been a neat experience. If you enjoy sad/lonely pixel art exploration, that might be your thing. It reminds me a lot of Hyper Light Drifter in terms of mood. And the combat isn't mob spam, it's unique boss after unique boss, so no two fights are ever the same.

I wouldn't pay full price for it but it's 90% off on Humble right now.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 20, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OgNar posted:

Here's a fun one.
Decided to buy the Humble Brain Tickler bundle.
Which went through fine.
But when trying to access purchases and clicking that bundle it instantly logs me out and requires an email code to log me back in.
Luckily I discovered I can still access each item through the library to redeem.
Just one more brain tickler for the bundle.

ymgve posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Steam Thread: But no, they are cannibals. No subversion.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://store.steampowered.com/app/987840/Expeditions_Rome/

Expeditions: Rome is out in a few hours, and if you're looking for a CRPG fix it looks to be a pretty good time. I enjoyed the demo (which you should try) - a nice mix of reactive storyline, meaningful choices, decent hex-based turn-based combat, and some light grand strategy and basebuilding stuff on top of it all. Character building and speccing is pretty basic though, coming from Pathfinder (but after Pathfinder I'm glad of that, WOTR completely overwhelmed me). It's quite cheap too!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

FishMcCool posted:

Haven't played DD, but Titan Souls is... strange. It's a slow and atmospheric walk across a mostly dead pixel art overworld, with gimmick boss fights gating zone progression. The gimmick is that you have a single arrow to shoot, as well as a power to pull it back to you. And bosses, as far as I have been, can all be one-shot. Finding the time/spot for that one-shot is each fight's gimmick. I haven't finished it, think I'm stuck at a water serpent that I couldn't figure out at the time, but it's been a neat experience. If you enjoy sad/lonely pixel art exploration, that might be your thing. It reminds me a lot of Hyper Light Drifter in terms of mood. And the combat isn't mob spam, it's unique boss after unique boss, so no two fights are ever the same.

I wouldn't pay full price for it but it's 90% off on Humble right now.

It's coming back to me now from your description. Very different from Death's Door, a very good Zelda-ish adventure with tough but fair combat and a light humorous tone. I'll definitely check TS out again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you have Gamepass you can download/play R6 Extraction now. There's a big ad on the gamepass app for R6/Extraction that says "Gather Your Team: Play with Gamepass and Ubisoft Connect" that you have to click on, it takes you to Ubisoft Connect and basically just adds it to your Library from what I can tell. I'm downloading it now. Really looking forward to trying this with some friends!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Joe Man posted:

Lol that was quick. What's wrong with it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

If only Titanfall actually took off =[

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

If you have Gamepass you can download/play R6 Extraction now. There's a big ad on the gamepass app for R6/Extraction that says "Gather Your Team: Play with Gamepass and Ubisoft Connect" that you have to click on, it takes you to Ubisoft Connect and basically just adds it to your Library from what I can tell. I'm downloading it now. Really looking forward to trying this with some friends!

Oh also apparently there's a trial version of the game you can download that lets you play for 2 hours, and like the other Ubisoft games there's a buddy pass system where you can invite up to two friends to play for up to 14 days with you, and I am pretty sure this works for the gamepass version since this just redeems it as a code in your Ubisoft library. So if you wanted to try this game with friends who maybe don't all have gamepass, you can still get a few people in with you through the buddy pass.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm a moron with more money than sense so I bought R6E, but I love co-op games and it seems... OK? I played a bit last night with some VPN fuckery.

Replayability long-term will be a concern for sure, but it's interesting enough to pick up and play a round or two at a time.

As usual, playing with randoms online is a bad idea, as they still read objectives like "capture the target" as "shoot the target until it's dead" but you can definitely play it solo or with friends just fine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah it seems very GTFO in that stealth is kind of a key factor and you basically move from section to section in a map doing an objective. I haven't played past the tutorial yet but have a group of friends who cycles between co-op stuff and I think we can get some fun out of this. I just like seeing the Siege engine utilized in a less stuffy non-PVP kind of way.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Pwnstar posted:

Outer Worlds came out after everyone was lovely with Bethesda for making the Fallout game an MMO with no NPCs and now the OG Fallout 1&2 guys are making a Falloutlike to save us all! Expectations were absurdly high.

Disco Elysium also came out a week before and showed everyone incredible RPG writing and great political jokes so people were ready for the same.

Outer Worlds is fun and it succeeds at what is trying to do, which is to be a wacky little "B" game. If you go in expecting the new Fallout or an in-depth examination on the failures of capitalism you will be disappointed. Much like how Fallout 4 is a dogshit Fallout game but a pretty good Bethesda game.
People got mad at Outer Worlds for the wrong reason. Sure, its writing is all over the place, the political commentary is tepid, and the characters are shallow, but its real downfall is the actual gameplay. The perks are so useless that after the first few levels I was just choosing them randomly because they made literally no difference to anything. There's like one weapon of each type that keeps getting recycled with a higher "version number" as your level goes up. Exploration is pointless because there's not a single NPC, prop, or set piece in the game that you won't see anyway if you just do the quests that are probably already in your log. It's like they took New Vegas and subtracted everything that made it great in spite of its many flaws, and made a pastiche of that.

I haven't played the DLC so I can't comment but I assume they didn't overhaul the systems.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bad loot & bad perks was explicitly my complaint with the game I posted the other day :v:

That's the most frustrating part, both of those things could EASILY be fixed with patches/DLC but I don't know if they were overhauled. It's not like it was some fundamental "feel" of the gameplay that was off that would take real effort to fix. It was just boring design / limited in time and or money so they just made 3 different iterations of Literally The Same Gun because that was the easiest/quickest way to do it.

Fundamentals for a good OW2 are there, they just need to spend more time in the creativity department rather than "Well we need a perk list, just come up with ANYTHING"

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
secret character with godawful starting weapon in Vampire Survivors. type quickly at title screen
x-x1viiq

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

:iiam:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987840/Expeditions_Rome/

Expeditions: Rome is out in a few hours, and if you're looking for a CRPG fix it looks to be a pretty good time. I enjoyed the demo (which you should try) - a nice mix of reactive storyline, meaningful choices, decent hex-based turn-based combat, and some light grand strategy and basebuilding stuff on top of it all. Character building and speccing is pretty basic though, coming from Pathfinder (but after Pathfinder I'm glad of that, WOTR completely overwhelmed me). It's quite cheap too!
Anything more about the combat? I really wanted to like the previous two but the combat was insufferable - did they improve it at all?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMn773L8YaU

I'm... hype as gently caress for a LEGO game?! :confused:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Is this Star Citizen?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Deakul posted:

I can probably deflate that hype a bit. This is definitely sounding like a "wait and see" launch compared to their usual familiar tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
[delete]