Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
This is cute (sound)

https://i.imgur.com/sJeIgaH.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The story goes like this. It's on the snowy map with the ski lodge thing in the center. (I do not yet know map names, and likely never will)

I've been in the habit of early on picking a set of close gens to patrol to try to get the survivors to gently caress off and leave the last 3 gens really close to each other, and it's been working pretty well. In this game the last 3 gens were downstairs on ground level in the lodge, right outside like 5 seconds away and like 7 seconds away from that one towards a corner. I can nearly see the 2 outdoor gens from each other with like a 3 second walk to get a visual, and because of the positions there are no spots to repair the gen that I can't see on either of them when walking back and forth. I'm playing a doctor with Overcharge. One of the survivors is already dead.

It goes like 10 minutes of gen patrolling at the end of the game it's down to one gen needed, they got the indoor gen to about half but are constantly failing the first check and progress is non existent because of Overcharge their progress is going backwards. The two outside gens are at zero, no motion at all. I'm patient, I have time, I'm not being distracted or lead away on a chase, just patrolling gen to gen and ignoring the bait when they run away from my gen patrol loop. I'm getting hits on survivors off and on when they take a risk, but then they heal up which is fine by me because they are making zero net progress. All 3 gens are in the range of Static Blast If i'm towards the center of them.

I kick the indoor gen, I check the one outside, then visual check the third without walking over because I can see it is motionless, and head back indoors. 10 seconds after I looked straight at the third gen and verified it was motionless and just before I walked in the lodge the gen I last looked at pops and I'm like WTF? I fire off Static Blast and there is a single survivor by that gen, the others 2 are on the opposite direction on the other side of the lodge running from the indoor generator I was approaching. I even checked the recording after to verify the gen was motionless and it took right about 10 seconds. I should have saved the recoding.

I can' think of a single way that gen could come back up that fast without cheating, but I'm also new to the game so maybe there is some mechanic I was unaware of.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

temple posted:

This is cute (sound)

quote:

Video

This is amazing

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The only thing I could think of would be some odd bug where the last gen was worked on and just looked like it wasn't (which I've never heard of but this game has had stupider bugs)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

BitBasher posted:

The story goes like this. It's on the snowy map with the ski lodge thing in the center. (I do not yet know map names, and likely never will)

I've been in the habit of early on picking a set of close gens to patrol to try to get the survivors to gently caress off and leave the last 3 gens really close to each other, and it's been working pretty well. In this game the last 3 gens were downstairs on ground level in the lodge, right outside like 5 seconds away and like 7 seconds away from that one towards a corner. I can nearly see the 2 outdoor gens from each other with like a 3 second walk to get a visual, and because of the positions there are no spots to repair the gen that I can't see on either of them when walking back and forth. I'm playing a doctor with Overcharge. One of the survivors is already dead.

It goes like 10 minutes of gen patrolling at the end of the game it's down to one gen needed, they got the indoor gen to about half but are constantly failing the first check and progress is non existent because of Overcharge their progress is going backwards. The two outside gens are at zero, no motion at all. I'm patient, I have time, I'm not being distracted or lead away on a chase, just patrolling gen to gen and ignoring the bait when they run away from my gen patrol loop. I'm getting hits on survivors off and on when they take a risk, but then they heal up which is fine by me because they are making zero net progress. All 3 gens are in the range of Static Blast If i'm towards the center of them.

I kick the indoor gen, I check the one outside, then visual check the third without walking over because I can see it is motionless, and head back indoors. 10 seconds after I looked straight at the third gen and verified it was motionless and just before I walked in the lodge the gen I last looked at pops and I'm like WTF? I fire off Static Blast and there is a single survivor by that gen, the others 2 are on the opposite direction on the other side of the lodge running from the indoor generator I was approaching. I even checked the recording after to verify the gen was motionless and it took right about 10 seconds. I should have saved the recoding.

I can' think of a single way that gen could come back up that fast without cheating, but I'm also new to the game so maybe there is some mechanic I was unaware of.

Could have been close to finishing and the other 2 left early. The last person finished it. But 10 seconds or so is faster than anything I've seen. Fast Track can get some funny interaction but that requires 3 dead survivors at max stacks (54% I think).

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Holy poo poo this is amazing

:lol:

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

BitBasher posted:

98 tokens of Fast Track with Stake Out for 100% gen progress in a single skill check, despite the fact that Fast Track maxes out at 27 tokens and requires 3 survivors dead to do so.

Real-talk though, it was probably just cheating. Unless your eyes were playing tricks on you, I wouldn't be surprised if someone got pissed at being in a Doctor-lockdown and booted up their cheat client given the player-base of this game.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 19, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BitBasher posted:

ormond fwiw

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
One thing to note since you're new - kicking the generator really doesn't do that much damage to it unless you're running Pop Goes the Weasel. All it does is make it start regressing slowly. So if the gen was close to being completed and you kicked it, it wouldn't mean much if a survivor got right on it.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Medullah posted:

One thing to note since you're new - kicking the generator really doesn't do that much damage to it unless you're running Pop Goes the Weasel.

More accurately, it doesn't do ANY damage at all, it just starts the regression clock. The default regression speed is also 1/4 the speed of a single survivor's normal progress without skill checks, so while it normally (without perks or toolboxes) takes 80 seconds for a single survivor to bring a gen from 0% to 100% without any failed or great skill checks, it takes about 5 minutes and 20 seconds for a ~99% gen to regress down to 0%, and a single quick tap by any survivor (possibly mid-chase) stops the regression dead.

It's why kicking gens is generally considered a bad idea if you aren't running perks that add more effects to doing so, because the 2 seconds it takes to kick the gen could be spent chasing a survivor off a gen 2 seconds earlier instead, worth 8 full seconds of default regression.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

BitBasher posted:

This is correct, and I wouldn't have thought of it!

I have now adopted the strategy of shuffling a lobby back into the deck if 3 or more PC players pop simultaneously. It's honestly worked great for my enjoyment of the game, thanks!

How can you tell if the player is on PC?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You can't exactly, but if there's a little globe icon next to a person they're on a platform that isn't yours.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

It's less reliable ever since Epic Games gave the game out for free, and it's also purchasable on Windows Store. But yeah, if you're on Steam, and there's 3 people without globes, that means all of them are also Steam. You can also nose into their profiles to see if they're Steam friends, though some people have them on private.

Re: the survivor meta, I never use DS or BT and I never have a problem. I only use offmeta perks except for Sprint Burst or sometimes Prove Thyself, or Kindred if that one counts. If someone wants to tunnel someone out of the game, those perks aren't going to help, just slow down the process. They're more of a light deterrent than a full prevention.

This is part of why I think they should be built into the game baseline. If they're meant to be a light gameplay deterrent, then don't make us sacrifice perk slots for them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

It's less reliable ever since Epic Games gave the game out for free, and it's also purchasable on Windows Store. But yeah, if you're on Steam, and there's 3 people without globes, that means all of them are also Steam. You can also nose into their profiles to see if they're Steam friends, though some people have them on private.

Re: the survivor meta, I never use DS or BT and I never have a problem. I only use offmeta perks except for Sprint Burst or sometimes Prove Thyself, or Kindred if that one counts. If someone wants to tunnel someone out of the game, those perks aren't going to help, just slow down the process. They're more of a light deterrent than a full prevention.

This is part of why I think they should be built into the game baseline. If they're meant to be a light gameplay deterrent, then don't make us sacrifice perk slots for them.

That's how I feel about DS and rarely use it, but BT is pretty much a requirement these days if you're going for unhooks.

I've thought before that making a very basic DS/BT base kit for survivors would reduce tunneling and hook camping, but man, watching Otz and Dowsey play you pretty much have to tunnel at higher tiers if you want to win.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, BT is always useful. All DS ever seems to do is momentarily annoy the killer before they remember you're still nearby and injured

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Medullah posted:

That's how I feel about DS and rarely use it, but BT is pretty much a requirement these days if you're going for unhooks.

I've thought before that making a very basic DS/BT base kit for survivors would reduce tunneling and hook camping, but man, watching Otz and Dowsey play you pretty much have to tunnel at higher tiers if you want to win.

I'm not at high tiers - I have no concept of my rank anymore ever since the old MM went away and I yoyo between getting put with babies and gamers - but I've gotten good at getting BT-less unhooks. It's all about waiting until the killer leaves and having a good sense for when they're occupied. Like, a gen just popped, they're going towards that gen and if they're far enough away it would be foolish to double back for the unhook. They hit someone, they're in chase. Or it's just been long enough since they left that it's a bad time investment to run all the way back to the unhook when you're already probably gone.

BT I think is sometimes used like a crutch to force a "safe" unhook to get survivors back onto the field quicker. But if the killer is determined enough, those BT unhooks are just going to be farming you with extra steps. Like, not only do you not get healed by the person who unhooked you, now you have to mend, if you don't get downed again outright. I've gotten much safer and smarter about my unhooks ever since I took BT off.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I play entirely solo-queue as survivor, so Kindred and Borrowed Time are both pretty mandatory to deal with the idiots in my matches. Kindred makes it less likely that I die on first-hook from everyone assuming that someone else will do it instead, and Borrowed Time ensures that the clods who rush directly towards the killer off of the unhook can at least soak a hit first.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite survivor build right now is WGLF, Desperate Measures, Borrowed Time and Dead Hard. In even some of the worst situations, if you need off that hook, I can get you off that hook and you can last long enough for me to get a Safe Unhook and reap the blood points. :smug:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Medullah posted:

One thing to note since you're new - kicking the generator really doesn't do that much damage to it unless you're running Pop Goes the Weasel. All it does is make it start regressing slowly. So if the gen was close to being completed and you kicked it, it wouldn't mean much if a survivor got right on it.

While true, unless I'm reading it wrong Overcharge forces a tremendously hard skill check which at least as far as I can see players almost always fails and when it fails regresses the generator by their failure amount plus 5%. Unless I am misunderstanding? I hear them fail that skill check and make a loud noise nearly all the time.

I do know that using it I'm pretty sure I can force a generator lower and lower, or it really seems that way as long as I am diligent.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's hard to tell if Overcharge adds the extra regression, I've heard it has always been bugged, though failing a check is -10% base. Don't rely on "always failing" the check, it's the same one as Decisive Strike. After awhile all survivors can safely be assumed to hit 90%+ of skill checks and most checks that matter. Running Overcharge with Doctor is delicious, of course.

Running a "kick gens constantly" build can work but since only Eruption and Overcharge really do anything with it and it's sub-optimal you either eventually move past it or tell yourself as the match starts "gimmick build, can't get mad if I get trounced." I run Overcharge, Distressing, Unnerving Presence and BBQ on Doctor myself and usually aim for winning by the last two gens with a super Doctor Lockout.

This is also known as Impossible Doctor, Impossible Skill Check Doctor or War Crimes Doctor. Good survivors can beat it handily but I find there's no in-game number representation of how god drat fatiguing it is to do gens while being super focused on your screen and ready to nail the checks. Especially if you get to a three gen and the Doc just won't let anyone do anything for more than ten seconds at a time. I laugh when people offer themselves to the hook just to get out.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 20, 2022

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Doomykins posted:

It's hard to tell if Overcharge adds the extra regression, I've heard it has always been bugged, though failing a check is -10% base. Don't rely on "always failing" the check, it's the same one as Decisive Strike. After awhile all survivors can safely be assumed to hit 90%+ of skill checks and most checks that matter. Running Overcharge with Doctor is delicious, of course.

Running a "kick gens constantly" build can work but since only Eruption and Overcharge really do anything with it and it's sub-optimal you either eventually move past it or tell yourself as the match starts "gimmick build, can't get mad if I get trounced."

Well, I don't have anything else unlocked yet, so it is what it is for right now!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Edited my post but by all means, no need to move on if you think outside the meta and it's working. Some of my best results are from mixing meta perks with dumbass ideas. Some of those dumbass ideas are actually genuinely evil and effective.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

My favorite stupid trick as survivor is running Red Herring/Repressed Alliance/Fixated/Spine Chill. Killer pops on Spine Chill, I power walk away into a locker. Gen fake explodes. Killer runs up to a sealed off gen they can't kick

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 20, 2022

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Vanguard Warden posted:

Real-talk though, it was probably just cheating. Unless your eyes were playing tricks on you, I wouldn't be surprised if someone got pissed at being in a Doctor-lockdown and booted up their cheat client given the player-base of this game.

I had someone do something like this during the winter event. I wouldn't hit the P3 Claudette when she would just hang out in snowmen, she got so pissed that I was ignoring her that she booted up her cheat engine and started warping everywhere and just completed 3 gens in seconds. Then just vanished and had the escape icon even though the exit gates were still closed.

Guess she was just tired of playing the match and just ended it.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Vanguard Warden posted:

I play entirely solo-queue as survivor, so Kindred and Borrowed Time are both pretty mandatory to deal with the idiots in my matches. Kindred makes it less likely that I die on first-hook from everyone assuming that someone else will do it instead, and Borrowed Time ensures that the clods who rush directly towards the killer off of the unhook can at least soak a hit first.

I play 99% solo queue too, but I've figured out that the most important way to increase survivability in a game is to have one bitch doing gens at all times. Even the stupidest teammates can figure out how to unhook because it's a big neon lit-up sign, but finding and staying on a generator is a bigger ask. So my build is 100% devoted to gens or getting the gently caress away from the killer.

Stake Out, Fast Track, Prove Thyself, Sprint Burst. Mash gens, yeet away once the killer gets close. Sometimes I swap out Prove Thyself for Blast Mine.

Stake Out+Fast Track isn't like, amazing or anything, but it's really fun. And Stake Out really shows its value when you have to heal - those 5% progression bonuses stack up real fast.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I don't have Fast Track yet, still waiting on that in the shrine. :x

My problem is that I try to be the one doing gens, and then either I wind up being tunneled all game because I'm the only one for the killer to spot during gen patrol while everyone else is in bushes or lockers, or I wind up having to get off gens because somebody got caught in the basement and now I'm the only survivor not downed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Spine Chill plus something like Sprint Burst will usually solve that problem. If the killer gets near enough that Spine Chill is solidly going off (as opposed to just flickering. If it's solid that means the killer is staring right at you), book it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vanguard Warden posted:

I don't have Fast Track yet, still waiting on that in the shrine. :x

Probably be a bit since it was just in it a month or so ago. :(

I've been enjoying Stake Out. It refills super quick and you really do notice the great skill checks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

This is my current survivor build. People say you shouldn't level small game and maybe they are right. Anyways, its a lot of fun.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Oh yeah, I forgot: in addition to Kindred and Borrowed Time, Windows of Opportunity is a pretty clutch perk for solo-queue. If the people on your team can't TELL you whether they've already used the shack pallet, you can always just scout it from a distance.

I never know what to put in my last slot after those 3. I vacillate between Spine Chill for the complete stealth immunity or an exhaustion perk like Balanced Landing. Spine Chill is more of a "gently caress you all, I'm dying last" option.

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011
Matchmaking is so bad some days. Game 1 on Legion vs communicating good team, I struggle to get 4 hooks and no kills. Game two has three different people go down to deep wound while doing gens. One of them twice. Maybe one in 10 games feels like I'm appropriately matched in skill level.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is pyramid head bad? I have never seen him played.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Kwolok posted:

Is pyramid head bad? I have never seen him played.

He's good, maybe a high tier 2 killer but has a really high skill ceiling with his M2, and doesn't play so nice with some of the more commonly played hook-based perks like BBQ. And on top of that has bad teachables and costs real money to own so is gonna be owned by fewer players.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The perceived quality of killers in most people's rankings seems to be highly dependent on their ability to gently caress around with looping during chases. The best killers just teleport/zoom past everything and hit you regardless like Nurse, Blight, and Spirit (or at least pre-nerf Spirit), the ranged killers that shoot you over cover like Huntress and Trickster tend to be pretty decent, and the mid-range power killers like Nemesis, Pyramid Head, and Doctor (the shock doesn't injure people, but stopping vaults/pallets for a hit is effectively the same thing) are up there too. Freddy, Trapper, and Clown are iffy, but the ability to lay down area hazards helps despite being a little slower than the more direct killers. The killers that people tend to view as the worst, like Legion, Wraith, and Pig, can't really do anything in chase other than follow people and M1 at them since pretty much all of their power is in stealth and/or game slowdown instead.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Pyramid Head's strength is that he can shoot a laser and nail you during fixed animations (window vaulting, dropping pallets) and there is poo poo all to do about it except maybe fake that obvious vault and look for other routes. His weakness is that laser has the width of a pencil if you aren't playing cheesy with it and it's really easy to dodge

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 20, 2022

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

killers with powers that are anti loop will always be the most powerful in the game, and probably the least fun to play against as a result, especially against people that are really talented at that particular killer. this of course means bhvr has released like 4 killers in a row that can completely bypass looping, the most fun aspect of the game, in some capacity and yes that is really fun why do you ask

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I find looping to be an insufferable and uninteresting mechanic having only a handful of hours in the game. Its just tedious and dumb. I wish they could come up with a better "chase" meta

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I find looping to be mostly fun. When the loops are 'unsafe', and you can mind-game about them, I enjoy it even if the survivor strings me along for quite awhile. I've had a lot of fun chases around shack, or even around T + L wall configurations. I can totally understand how newer players would find those loving annoying against experienced survivors, but eventually you learn to flick your red light around or moonwalk to fake going in another direction and then you get to regularly trick survivors into vaulting directly at you, or hitting them through a pallet because you had them thinking you would respect it, and that poo poo is fun as hell.

Not all pallet spawns are created equally though, so sometimes you get the new Gideon/Game map or Haddonfield with a billion turbo-safe pallets that either completely separate two sections of the map unless you break them or are part of a loop so long that the survivors can always safely vault to the other side if the killer starts to approach lunge-distance. Then the survivor gets to just take you on a tour of every pallet on the map for 3-5 minutes while all the gens go off in sequence in the background.

When the survivor isn't even really looping anymore and just running to the next nearest pallet and standing in wait to throw it down as you get near, that's not good gameplay. That's math. All loops/vaults/pallet spawns should be brought in line with the more interesting and 'dangerous' configurations, but that requires actual thought and effort put into the design.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 20, 2022

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I play legion because I like mindgames and chases. I love trickster but he's slow.

Its beautiful watching Scott become self-aware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js6Z4cWAvMk

Summary: If you are losing, then your MMR should lower to easier games. If you are winning, then you should have high MMR and play the hard matches. If you are winning but its too sweaty, then don't play sweaty!

Its something Tofu pointed out. If you wanna play casual then your MMR should lower to easier matches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4xnpxtbiE

I agree with Scott that MMR probably isn't working. Solo queue pops at 5min consistently (I use a timer when queue). MMR can't be working. But if MMR isn't working, then why is everyone blaming it? Its madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I find looping really boring on both survivor and killer side. It just feels really stupid and counter to the whole conceit of "big scary monster that is as strong as 4 people". Oh wow it's this amazing famous serial killer from monster movie lore! Oh, he's... being stopped by a waist high barricade that the survivor is scooting around like it's Scooby Doo. :geno:

I don't mind it as much if it's someone more on my level but when it's a really skilled looper who can obviously do that poo poo in their sleep, it's the most boring poo poo in the world. Oh good, I have to painfully grind out a chase with you who has 1000 more hours than me, and if you make a single mistake oops time to press E and you're back to another 45 second chase. I don't feel like I'm learning or improving on anything, and I'm sure they aren't. Yeah the obvious play is to just drop that poo poo and pick on someone easier but it sucks to pick one player and just designate them untouchable because matchmaking inexplicably decided they should be against me, especially in a meta where having a player be untouchable is really loving strong (they can just run away knowing I won't touch them, heal with CoH, run back for another hit, heal up, etc).

Myers used to be my favorite, but I got so sick of being stopped by stupid loop garbage. Yay I charged up my spirit bomb! Good luck getting close enough to these bitches to use it. Oops they got to another pallet. And another one. Aaaand your power's worn off and you're back to being the most unremarkable M1 in the game. Hope it was worth it.

Also, Pyramid Head's problem is less his hitbox and more that it is VERY telegraphed and slow. It's trivially easy to dodge if you're familiar with it at all unless they force you into an animation or a straight tunnel, similar to Huntress but without the benefit of being able to snipe. The one leg it has up on Huntress is that you can do it through walls/obstacles.

Another reason he isn't played much: 90% of his addons are garbage. His iris are trash.