Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
FORTY-SEVEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBSTfxv_OjA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That started to feel unsettlingly surreal, as if even the characters were reacting with anxiety over the number continually cropping up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Drone posted:

Are the console versions the same story as the PC version, or are they their own thing? I know the gameplay is very different at least, and that they both have an enemy species called the CHODAK which is just a weirdly fun word to say.

It's odd, I didn't play the SNES version but I played A Final Unity and the Genesis one and they're definitely related. Common story concepts but a completely different game.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Brawnfire posted:

That started to feel unsettlingly surreal, as if even the characters were reacting with anxiety over the number continually cropping up
Decompress main shuttle bay. The explosive reaction may blow us out of the way.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Correction sir, that's "sucked out".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thotsky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX6bXewTQpU

gently caress you, Data.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's odd, I didn't play the SNES version but I played A Final Unity and the Genesis one and they're definitely related. Common story concepts but a completely different game.

In retrospect, A Final Unity feels like the game they wanted to make, while the SNES/Genesis game may as well be an earlier draft of the design doc shoved into 16-bit console limitations.

The Genesis version is a childhood favourite that I wish held up better, but still has some neat ideas modern games should feel free to steal if we ever get another one like it someday. Even just little things like how it models subsystem damage, like if your communications array gets wrecked all the dialogue text on your viewscreen during hails will glitch out, which is a pretty inspired way of approximating radio static in a game without enough cartridge memory for voice acting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Going back to the dated TOS talk, I grew up with it in syndication, and the only other options were reruns of Mormon Battlestar Galactica, Space 1999, and Lost in Space on Nick at nite. To put it simply there was nothing like Star Trek for close to a decade, and everything else in that genre just coul not compare. There were politics, nuanced antagonists, flawed but sympathetic characters, competent rational professionals, big ideas!

Even the first Star Wars movies were about spectacle pretty much to the exclusion of everything else. Did TOS have flaws? Of course, but I'll always love it.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 18, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

thotsky posted:

This version of that line is burned in my brain because we bought a bootleg copy of the season 1 blooper reel on VHS at a convention and I watched it about a hundred times more than I've watched "The Naked Now"

Edit: then/than, ugh

CPColin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 18, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CPColin posted:

This version of that line is burned in my brain because we bought a bootleg copy of the season 1 blooper reel on VHS at a convention and I watched it about a hundred times more then I've watched "The Naked Now"

Oh man, I had that too. I'm sure there's lots of half-remembered stuff from it floating around in my head, waiting to resurface.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I do not why but Skin of Evil seems to work for me as an episode even though everything around it SEEMS so cheesy.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, toss Skin of Evil in the "Good, Actually" pile. Great stunts, bizarre concept for a villain, delightfully alien ketchup splat on Yar's face, resolution is for Picard to beam down and go, "gently caress me? No, gently caress YOU!" and beam away as the goop throws a tantrum.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mooseontheloose posted:

I do not why but Skin of Evil seems to work for me as an episode even though everything around it SEEMS so cheesy.

Skin of Evil is cornball, but also consequential. They wanted a story about a main cast member getting killed off for real in a dumbass way the way that usually only nameless security chumps get killed off, and that’s what they put on the screen.

The monster is also memorably gross. No lame early CG here, that’s real black slime!

I think the ending Windows desktop memorial scene also really works, with Data musing about the point of funerals. one of the rare Data drama moments that works for me.

Also it was probably unintentional, but given that we do see both Tasha and Crosby again a few times I think it’s cute that they had Picard say “au revoir” and not “adieu”.

It also has the baller early-TNG space synth soundtrack blaring away. Like during Picard’s final slam dunk on Armus. Say what you will about the rest of the ep but that music is great

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 18, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tasha getting killed off in an abrupt, senseless way is perfectly in line with her job. The episode dwells on her death just long enough for it to make an impact without either going the TOS redshirt route or wallowing in melodrama.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One of my favorite bits from Lower Decks was the characters prank calling Armus

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

skasion posted:

Skin of Evil is cornball, but also consequential. They wanted a story about a main cast member getting killed off for real in a dumbass way the way that usually only nameless security chumps get killed off, and that’s what they put on the screen.

The monster is also memorably gross. No lame early CG here, that’s real black slime!

I think the ending Windows desktop memorial scene also really works, with Data musing about the point of funerals. one of the rare Data drama moments that works for me.

Also it was probably unintentional, but given that we do see both Tasha and Crosby again a few times I think it’s cute that they had Picard say “au revoir” and not “adieu”.

It also has the baller early-TNG space synth soundtrack blaring away. Like during Picard’s final slam dunk on Armus. Say what you will about the rest of the ep but that music is great

It was interesting that they sort of tease Troi being the character that is in immediate danger in the crashed shuttle craft and then Tasha gets randomly blapped by Armus.

Did they advertise the episode as being one in which a character was going to die or was it a total surprise to audiences?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
On the next Starrrr Trek: Thenextgeneration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrk8wZNdzZE

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i wish netflix did that sort of crap, throw it into some kind of channel with prescheduled programming

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mooseontheloose posted:

Scared the absolute poo poo out of me as a kid. Nightmares of Armus oozing under my bedroom door to come kill me for years

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:toot:

https://twitter.com/treknewsnet/status/1483565157179703298

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

At least in the 90s, Playmates had no issue producing toys for older series/movies, so I'm optimistic it's not just all Discovery or Picard junk.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If they still find the molds they could just reissue stuff they designed in the 90s.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want a Burnham figure with hair you can trim yourself into which season style you want

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd absolutely buy an H Jon Benjamin toy from that funny Short Trek that sends people into conniptions.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CPColin posted:

Yeah, toss Skin of Evil in the "Good, Actually" pile. Great stunts, bizarre concept for a villain, delightfully alien ketchup splat on Yar's face, resolution is for Picard to beam down and go, "gently caress me? No, gently caress YOU!" and beam away as the goop throws a tantrum.

I also like its a reverse power of love ending. They don't convince the monster its wrong, they condem it to an eternal solitude and say we won't give in. The acting is good too, very atmospheric.

Also, yes, I miss 80s TV previews too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Surprise us all and issue some ENT merch.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mooseontheloose posted:

I also like its a reverse power of love ending. They don't convince the monster its wrong, they condem it to an eternal solitude and say we won't give in. The acting is good too, very atmospheric.

Also, yes, I miss 80s TV previews too.

Plus they throw in a practical yet enjoyable "gently caress you" by blowing up the shuttlecraft wreckage with a photon torpedo. Up yours, Armus!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I want a Burnham figure with hair you can trim yourself into which season style you want

trim? i'm fuckin doing the old barbie tear them out one by one until she's completely bald

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drone posted:

Surprise us all and issue some ENT merch.

Death Wish Reed with dynamic sulking action.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That color smear on the Delta looks very, very TMP.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

A.o.D. posted:

That color smear on the Delta looks very, very TMP.

The TOS movie era motif of using the multicolored warp drive effect is one of my all time favorite Trek visual cues.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

CPColin posted:

On the next Starrrr Trek: Thenextgeneration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrk8wZNdzZE

I would love to see Lower Decks ape the style of these old TNG previews.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek Online's anniversary gimmick is to play 'What if' and squish two civilisations' ships together for fun: this year we got the Fed'eridex and it actually looks kinda neat.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek Online's anniversary gimmick is to play 'What if' and squish two civilisations' ships together for fun: this year we got the Fed'eridex and it actually looks kinda neat.

I honestly like that a lot.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MikeJF posted:

why isn't it called the Fed'ex

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

Species mash-ups!? Now you're talking my language!

Have they done a Ferengi bird-of-prey yet?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Can ferengi grow beards cause that's the type to fly those ships

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Brawnfire posted:

The other two so far are a Federation-Klingon cruiser

and a Klingon-Romulan bird of prey

I love the cruiser but I am not a big fan of the bop, the wings barely articulate. :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I like the Temer bird of prey. It's KlingRom in general design but the detailing's all Federation close up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Sadly no. Although even with the regular designs you can toss alternative hull materials on the designs. Put a romulan hull on the Ferengi Nandi and it'd basically be a Ferengi Bird of Prey. Game's down for maintenence or I'd go and take a shot. (In the meantime have a federation-ish nandi, although it uses the black a bit too much)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 20, 2022