Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I think my groups are going to be the twins and Estinien with me tanking (the Young Bloods) then Thancred, Urianger, and Y'Shtola and me DPS as the Old School Scions. Cat boy... ??? we'll figure it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
The way the trust jobs line up you can do all 3 of your teams for EW while as DPS yourself which is what I'm doing because it's faster, don't @ me with some poo poo about how trusts will adjust their DPS because I don't think that was ever confirmed and regardless my tank runs are pretty consistently ~5m longer than my DPS runs (we don't talk about the one time I tried to heal a trust)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm certain the DPS runs will go faster for the sole fact that you'll be using AOEs

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the fact that we can't trust with, summon, or otherwise enable Feo Ul to kick rear end on our behalf SUCKS.

1/10 worst game ever.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Carrying items between dimensions kicks rear end

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm remembering now why I left Black Mage at 70 and didn't touch it at all during Shadowbringers. I normally love mages in MMOs but I'm just so bad at Black Mage and it hurts me :negative:

I think the major deciding factor in how bad I'm going to be at a job is how many plates I have to keep spinning. I might find Reaper's debuff kinda clunky (every time I have to reapply it, it feels like my momentum comes to a screeching halt) but it's just one plate to spin, and the rest is a nice easy build/spend, so it's no problem. Black Mage, though? Gotta keep up AF/UI, gotta make sure I don't overcap on Polyglots while also probably saving one for movement, gotta keep up Thunder, gotta remember to Sharpcast as many Thunder IIIs as possible so I can guarantee Thundercloud procs, and also if I have to move my brain goes "OH NO" and I instantly lose track of all the timers.

It's not a problem with the job. It is very much designed that way on purpose and it's something a lot of people love. It's not you, Black Mage, it's me.

Can't wait to get this to 90 and then not touch it again for two years. I will absolutely be leveling 81-90 with trusts so no other players witness my shameful play.

Update: I played Black Mage for a few hours tonight in Zadnor and now I like it & think it's good

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its cool in bozja because you just flare star and nothing else you do really matters

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

I think my groups are going to be the twins and Estinien with me tanking (the Young Bloods) then Thancred, Urianger, and Y'Shtola and me DPS as the Old School Scions. Cat boy... ??? we'll figure it out

is it possible to rotate the all-rounder through each party and level everyone evenly that way? I'm dumb at math.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It took me so long to farm that Skallic Coat of Fending that I ended up with the entirety of every single other set in there.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

theironjef posted:

It took me so long to farm that Skallic Coat of Fending that I ended up with the entirety of every single other set in there.

Tangentially related but I think I've run Tower of Babil like three dozen times by now trying to get the GNB weapon from there and still don't have it. Currently sitting on 17 of the 19 possible weapon drops with only the AST and aforementioned GNB weapon missing now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Tangentially related but I think I've run Tower of Babil like three dozen times by now trying to get the GNB weapon from there and still don't have it. Currently sitting on 17 of the 19 possible weapon drops with only the AST and aforementioned GNB weapon missing now.

If it's an 81-89 dungeon you should run it as the job you want to get the item on for the guaranteed item at the end. Starting from nothing it's like, maximum 10 runs.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Trust exp will always end up unbalanced. My trusts are up to level 87 now from doing one dungeon a day. There's 7 of them and you can bring 3 each run, you'd need some multiple of 21 runs per dungeon. That's not including tank/healer/dps role requirement considerations.

I run the majority of trusts as dps for speed, but toward the end of each tier have to switch to 2 runs each of tank and healer because with only one dps slot the three strict dps avatars fall behind. You can force double pulls as dps and healer most times, but Alph and Urianger always let me down when I double pull as tank. <-May not apply if you're leveling warrior.

And sure, you could wait for trust exp to get boosted. But by that point all my jobs will be level 90 already so I'd only be doing it for completionism cheevo brainworm scratching. At least there's decent exp and leveling loot. Same with Shared Fate grind - doing it now while I can at least use the exp.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Valentin posted:

is it possible to rotate the all-rounder through each party and level everyone evenly that way? I'm dumb at math.

I don't see any way around having to go through the process three times just due to the one extra party member. You could probably set up some weird shifting rotation where everyone gets the same xp but I don't see how it'll take anything other than the same number of runs. I'm also not dedicating very much brain power to this thought exercise.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Grayshift posted:

Trust exp will always end up unbalanced. My trusts are up to level 87 now from doing one dungeon a day. There's 7 of them and you can bring 3 each run, you'd need some multiple of 21 runs per dungeon. That's not including tank/healer/dps role requirement considerations.

I run the majority of trusts as dps for speed, but toward the end of each tier have to switch to 2 runs each of tank and healer because with only one dps slot the three strict dps avatars fall behind. You can force double pulls as dps and healer most times, but Alph and Urianger always let me down when I double pull as tank. <-May not apply if you're leveling warrior.

And sure, you could wait for trust exp to get boosted. But by that point all my jobs will be level 90 already so I'd only be doing it for completionism cheevo brainworm scratching. At least there's decent exp and leveling loot. Same with Shared Fate grind - doing it now while I can at least use the exp.

I never bothered double pulling much with trust guys, since they seem not quite smart enough to switch to AOE, but maybe that's wrong?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

theironjef posted:

I never bothered double pulling much with trust guys, since they seem not quite smart enough to switch to AOE, but maybe that's wrong?

if trusts aoed properly no one would ever run a dungeon with pubbies again.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
They refuse to aoe, but it's faster since I'm aoe-ing at least.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Don’t those weapons have the same models as the 89 crafted weapons

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Insert name here posted:

When you run a leveling dungeon (anything where the required level doesn't end in 0) you get a guaranteed drop at the end added directly to your inventory, one that your current job can equip and you don't already have, . If you have the rest of the armor set, the weapon should be guaranteed.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 20, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Badger of Basra posted:

Don’t those weapons have the same models as the 89 crafted weapons

The model is the same, but the dungeon weapon's textures are different. Looks a bit rustier and beat up, imo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I didn't do this as quickly or optimally as I could have, but it's finally DONE:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Looks like nature's finally healing. Logged into Gilg at prime time tonight and only had the anti-DDOS queue to contend with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I didn't do this as quickly or optimally as I could have, but it's finally DONE:

Still mad about the permanent Bloodsworn in Shadowbringers come ON Yoshi-P

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Grayshift posted:

Not sure how you're getting 21 runs per dungeon? The trust XP gained for an at-level dungeon (so running the 85 dungeon with level 85 trust members and so on) is around 42/43%, so it'll only (:airquote:) take you 5 runs per team, for a total of 15 runs per dungeon. So long as you split your party members smartly into 3 groups you don't have to do more than that, and your DPS shouldn't be falling behind on XP.

Ibblebibble posted:

If it's an 81-89 dungeon you should run it as the job you want to get the item on for the guaranteed item at the end. Starting from nothing it's like, maximum 10 runs.

Clarste posted:

When you run a leveling dungeon (anything where the required level doesn't end in 0) you get a guaranteed drop at the end added directly to your inventory, one that your current job can equip and you don't already have, . If you have the rest of the armor set, the weapon should be guaranteed.
So I really should do this but I'm kinda curious how much more tries it'll take to get it to drop on its own. Also I have 1 more trust team to take into Babil anyway.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I didn't mean to imply it takes 21 runs to complete a tier, just that if you wanted all trusts to stay exactly balanced it would take 7 * 3 runs of each dungeon.

By mix'n'matching and taking various roles, you can get it as low as 12 runs per dungeon. Each trust gets 40% of a level, or 1.2 combined levels per run. Seven trusts needing two levels each gives 14 / 1.2 = 11.67.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Still mad about the permanent Bloodsworn in Shadowbringers come ON Yoshi-P

Same.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Grayshift posted:

I didn't mean to imply it takes 21 runs to complete a tier, just that if you wanted all trusts to stay exactly balanced it would take 7 * 3 runs of each dungeon.

By mix'n'matching and taking various roles, you can get it as low as 12 runs per dungeon. Each trust gets 40% of a level, or 1.2 combined levels per run. Seven trusts needing two levels each gives 14 / 1.2 = 11.67.
Ah I misunderstood; for some reason I didn't realize you were referring to keeping all your members perfect even.

Though I should point out that the math of 14 divided by 1.2 is wrong because you're filling 7 independent XP bars, not 1 big one, so you're actually getting 0.4 of 2 levels per run, 3 at a time.

E: Or to put it another way, 14/1.2 implies that the extra earned XP would overflow from characters that have gained 2 levels to those that haven't, which isn't true

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 20, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Grayshift posted:

Urianger has only failed me once but Alphinaud is a complete trash tier sage.

Also I doubt they buff trust experience. OG trust experience was like 10 dungeons a level so with these being at more or less 3 already, I doubt they make it any faster than that.

Also to the other person, yeah double pull and AoE. There's a couple of pulls that are too dicey for it but even as a tank or healer my aoe if I pull 6 things I will usually wipe the pack out around the time the idiots single target down their 2nd guy so it saves a lot of time.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Failboattootoot posted:

Urianger has only failed me once but Alphinaud is a complete trash tier sage.

Also I doubt they buff trust experience. OG trust experience was like 10 dungeons a level so with these being at more or less 3 already, I doubt they make it any faster than that.

Also to the other person, yeah double pull and AoE. There's a couple of pulls that are too dicey for it but even as a tank or healer my aoe if I pull 6 things I will usually wipe the pack out around the time the idiots single target down their 2nd guy so it saves a lot of time.
OG trust XP was 5 dungeons per 2 levels (source: me having leveled part of my trusts during ShB), same as the current EW ones. They'll probably up the trust XP for EW dungeons in like 6.5 so you're not stuck forever in the previous expansion's dungeons when the next expansion comes out. I assume that's why they upped the XP for ShB dungeons.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tonight on Heavensward, the tying of loose ends begins with a doofy octopus

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vermain posted:

Looks like nature's finally healing. Logged into Gilg at prime time tonight and only had the anti-DDOS queue to contend with.

I started playing around Christmas and had to log in at like… 3pm to play without hour long queues. Finished the msq recently and tbh my playtime dropped off a cliff, to the point where I’m thinking do I actually unsub for a bit. Friends are still getting through the msq

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just want to mention that the Very Timely Halloween Quest has a hilariously narrow-cast joke right at the end, and I love it.

The demons decide that the best way to throw their doom-party is to hold it while just paying someone to shout about it in the middle of the city. AKA, 'how people run RP parties/clubs'.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

finally the perfect drk glam

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, I am just going to put this out there, on the off chance that shouting it into the void someone how makes its way to Square Enix.

Can the next Ultimate tier be "The Myth of Manderville"

I want a raid fight against Godbert and Julyan.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:hmmyes:

In other news, since I've had a shitload of gil for a long time and nothing to spend it on, I dropped 12.6m on an ornate tank chest last night so I could get +48 more tenacity. That 0.3% increase in damage given and damage reduction is definitely worth it.

cat beard
Dec 19, 2011
On the trust talk I have largely AFKed as dps while I do something else until we get to bosses and let the trusts chew through mobs. They keep themselves alive and it takes a while but I'm doing other things so it's not an issue. This will stop working when I run out of trust tanks/healers to level admittedly.

Harrow posted:

Update: I played Black Mage for a few hours tonight in Zadnor and now I like it & think it's good

Zadnor/Bozja BLM is so fuckin good. Still a big fan of zero cast time BLM with chainspell and watcher essence, doesn't teach you the rotation at all but it feels amazing to just cast fire 4 back to back so many times in a row.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Time to get some clown makeup and join the P3S pug circus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cat beard posted:

Zadnor/Bozja BLM is so fuckin good. Still a big fan of zero cast time BLM with chainspell and watcher essence, doesn't teach you the rotation at all but it feels amazing to just cast fire 4 back to back so many times in a row.

Yeah I'm trying really hard not to get addicted to Chainspell because it feels amazing but I won't have it outside of Bozja/Zadnor content.

Even without using it, though, I'm having a much better time with BLM now than I was a couple days ago. Gonna have to take it into dungeons with Trusts to see how it feels there soon, though.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Madmarker posted:

Hey, I am just going to put this out there, on the off chance that shouting it into the void someone how makes its way to Square Enix.

Can the next Ultimate tier be "The Myth of Manderville"

I want a raid fight against Godbert and Julyan.

The only reason that it would even be possible to win that fight is because Julyan would be distracted by Godbert's antics periodically

Julyan alone would be unstoppable

The only creature the WoL truly fears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ibblebibble posted:

In my experience, it's always 10 runs for the item I want if I'm starting from none. All of the chests are not my job and I get accessories first as the guaranteed drops. :negative: