Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Please don't forget to post your list. Please let your voice matter :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

post your top ten favorite active wrestlers

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm still working on my list but it's so hard trying to cut it down to just ten. :negative:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you for letting me know there is at least one more list coming. i'm going to look at the list

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vandar posted:

I'm still working on my list but it's so hard trying to cut it down to just ten. :negative:

You can include your honorable mentions! They just won't get counted!

And yeah, I know the pain. Making my own list and realizing how many wrestlers I really wanted to include but just couldn't fit was rough.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

:same:

There are just too many cool grapsmen and grapsgals to choose from.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerebral Bore posted:

There are just too many cool grapsmen and grapsgals to choose from.

That reminds me, when do we do the top 10 favourite scoopsters list? :kiddo:

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

10. Ryo Mizunami (33)
9. Kenny Omega (38)
8. Eddie Kingston (40)
7. Bryan Danielson (40)
6. Daniel Garcia (22)
5. AZM (19 lol what the gently caress)
4. Cash Wheeler (34)
3. Dax Harwood (37)
2. Syuri (32)
1. Utami Hyashishita (23)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah I don't watch Stardom anymore, but AZM was always insanely good for her age

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is it too late to amend my list

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Jerusalem posted:

You can include your honorable mentions! They just won't get counted!

And yeah, I know the pain. Making my own list and realizing how many wrestlers I really wanted to include but just couldn't fit was rough.

I owe Ishii an apology for not including him. but i'm too scared to give it to him

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
OK, after a whole lot of thinking I think I got my list.

1: Kenny Omega

Omega's rear end in a top hat champ run was basically flawless. Everything from his character work to his matches and to his eventual downfall were all spectacular. Champ of the year, and wrestler of the year in my book.

2: Shingo Takagi

This guy took a promotion that was already spiraling into a pretty drat deep slump and practically carried the title scene by sheer intensity and impeccable match quality. A real banner year for The Dragon.

3: Tomohiro Ishii

Not the greatest year in the career of Big Tom, which basically means that he had an absolutely fantastic year as opposed to the virtually perfect ones of Omega and Shingo. Still was in my match of the year and still is the best pure in-ring performer in the business though.

4: Hangman Page

The end of Hangman's long journey to the gold was some real good Cowboy poo poo, and then he went on to have one hell of a feud with Danielson as champ.

5: Eddie Kingston

Eddie is the one guy who no matter what always can make you feel. Dude is the best talker in the business right now and it's not even particularly close.

6: Bryan Danielson

Bryan would probably been higher if he hadn't spent like two thirds of the year wallowing in the muck of the Fed, but his AEW run has been so unbelievably good that he's gotta be on the list.

7: Serena Deeb

Last year I didn't really know or care for Deeb that much, but this year she's really found her stride by viciously ripping people to pieces.

8: Hiroshi Tanahashi

Ol' man Tana's still got it. He's been consistently good all year and he had a couple of unbelievably great matches against Shingo and the detestable knife pervert.

9: Minoru Suzuki

Gotta include Suzuki, mainly so that my inevitable murder by his hands will hopefully be a little bit quicker.

10: Britt Baker

Still not the best in the ring despite a marked improvement, but her character work is still spot on and her championship run has been very good overall.

Honorable mentions: Young Bucks, Lucha Bros, Zack Sabre Jr. Thunder Rosa, Hikaru Shida, Hiromu Takahashi, Sammy Guevara & Great O-Khan.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Bryan Danielson
3. Eddie Kingston
4. Kenny Omega
5. Jon Moxley
6. Thunder Rosa
7. El Hijo del Vikingo
8. CM Punk
9. Shingo Takagi
10. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New lists, yay!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is it too late to amend my list

Yes it is too late, sorry. All the points have already been accounted for and I don't want to open the can of worms of letting people edit them and then having to redo all the counts that I've been keeping track of.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

New lists, yay!

Yes it is too late, sorry. All the points have already been accounted for and I don't want to open the can of worms of letting people edit them and then having to redo all the counts that I've been keeping track of.

Thats fine let the record show that I think Kris Statlander is cool as hell

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

10. Malakai Black- Turns out debuting by kicking Cody Rhodes loving head off gets me interested. Love everything about him.

9. Thunder Rosa- Just outstanding in every way, and if she doesnt beat Britt for the championship its a drat shame.

8. Dante Martin- Some day Dante is going to jump off the rope and just keep ascending higher and higher into the heavens, at which point we will all say "Yeah, that makes sense".

7.Rey Fenix- He will be who Dante is following into the sky. As I said in the thread vs Jurassic Express (shortly before his injury), here's my impression of Rey Fenix: "Hey I'm Rey Fenix, the coolest pro wrestler in the world!"

6. Penta El 0M- Honestly, either of the Lucha Bros could go in either spot, but since we can't pick a tag team without kicking someone else further down the line, I went with the spooky skeleton man ahead of his brother. Penta excels at every aspect of professional wrestling. He has such presence in the ring, his attitude. Even his promos, which are aided by the Penta Says gimmick (which I think is awesome and wonderful but not needed, because you know what he's saying even without understanding Spanish). Also remember St. Patrick's Day, when he wore the hat? Cause that was amazing.

5. Jon Moxley- I don't know how he recovered so perfectly from the dud of the barb wire exploding ring match, but he did. The promo afterwards with him and Eddie "Yeah, I lost but I got my friend back" helped. Oh, and the general amazing ring ability.

4. Powerhouse Hobbs- I love this guy so much. He looks like he is going to destroy his opponent, he usually does, and my god that sneer is the best in history. I'm not sure if 2022 is when it will happen, but he is a future world champion in my mind for sure.

3. Hangman Page- "We're proud of you" - Graphics Team. That really sums it up. His story was the best told in wrestling history. From being the apparent "Chosen One" only to come up short, to the incredible tag run, to his doubts and Kenny leaving him, Matt Hardy's attempted trickery, his real Friends in Dark Order being there for him, and finally, FINALLY after two years winning it all is something I'm never going to forget. I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up at the end of Hangman vs. Omega, which to me proves that sometimes the obvious choice is also the right one, instead of swerving for the sake of swerving.

2. Eddie Kingston- Just incredible. Love his style of brawling, loved it when he fought through Butcher and Blade to save Moxley. And his talking. Good lord his talking. The King of Promos, I want to pay him to record videos to motivate me when I'm struggling with something.

1. Sting-I am, and have always been, a little Stinger. Seeing his career "end" in WWE with being beaten by the deceased HHH to prove that they won the war and getting injured by Seth Rollins was heartbreaking. Naturally, I lost my goddamned mind at the first Winter is Coming when he came out. The cinematic match against Team Taz was great, but the Double or Nothing match against Men of the Year? Yeah, Sting still has it. Also, if you haven't watched his interaction with Orange Cassidy ringside from this summer stop what you are doing and watch it, it's hilarious. I am glad he's in a company that is not only treating him right, but using him right as well.

Honorable Mentions: Evil Uno (All of Dark Order really), Kenny Omega, Adam Cole Bay Bay!, Ricky Starks, Big E, Kevin Owens, 2point0, Sammy Guevara, Daniel Garcia, Kidd Bandit, Brian Danielson, Kris Statlander

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is there any plans to/would there be any interest in a top ten favourite tag teams list when this is done? A few years ago there probably wouldn't have been much point given how little major promotions bothered with their tag division but I think like AEW have put enough emphasis on their tag division that even people who only watch that could put one together.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Is there any plans to/would there be any interest in a top ten favourite tag teams list when this is done? A few years ago there probably wouldn't have been much point given how little major promotions bothered with their tag division but I think like AEW have put enough emphasis on their tag division that even people who only watch that could put one together.

that'd be cool

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

For sure, that'd be fun.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

1) my boys

The end.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
10) Riho - this lady's cool
9) Malakai Black - this guy's cool
8) Zack Sabre Jr - this guy's cool
7) Chuck Taylor - this guy's cool
6) Orange Cassidy - this guy's cool
5) Miyu Yamashita - this lady's cool
4) Jon Moxley - this guy's cool
3) Kazuchika Okada - this guy's cool
2) Bryan Danielson - this guy's cool
1) "Hangman" Adam Page - this guy's really cool

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

1: Sting- I don't care that hes old as poo poo I get hyped every time he's on screen. I got to watch him have a match at the Atlanta Dynamite for the first time ever and I legit got misty eyed. WCW never visited my smallish town (WWF did, In Your House 8 was kinda famous for a blackout during the PPV) but I was always the biggest little Stinger since I 5 or 6 in the late 80s.

2: FTR- Not a single wrestler obviously but they only wrestle tag teams for the most part so they go here, gently caress you. I love their style and all the creative ways they cheat.

3: Miro- When he was in WWE he was my favorite, I loved his look. Now that he is in AEW and gets to express himself I love him even more. Miro vs God is the best.

Going to keep it short now

4: Kenny Omega
5: Serena Deeb
6: Mox
7: Mei Suruga
8: Minoru Suzuki- His recent USA tour ruled
9: Hangman Adam Page
10: Bryan Danielson

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wonderful to see some more lists! We're now basically four days from the cut-off point for any more lists to be counted (Midnight Eastern time on January 23rd) so if you're still putting yours together, don't forget!
  • We have now surpassed last year's thread for both number of Goons making lists and number of wrestlers who have appeared on lists. We're still not quite at the same level of 2019's numbers but it's definitely a big jump from last year.
  • The most recent lists have really thrown the cat among the pigeons regarding the make-up and placing of the Top Twenty. A number of wrestlers have switched places or leapfrogged over others who had ground out a seemingly secure niche at the top, and a couple of wrestlers in particular have shot up from relatively low places to be up near the top.
  • One single, solitary point divides two of the wrestlers right up around the top of the rankings so far. Voting matters!
  • 12 of the Top 20 have broken 100 points, and 4 of them have broken 200 with another close to doing so. 3 wrestlers are sitting extremely close to 100 points and could easily get pushed over the top.
  • The inclusion of AZM has helped pull the average age closer to the bottom of 32 than the top, meaning we're likely to end up around here unless somebody really odd gets added to the mix (entirely possible!). Right now the wrestlers listed who meet the current average age are: Adam Cole, Andrade El Idolo, Arisa Nakajima, Bianca Belair, Hiromu Takahashi, Hyper Misao, Joey Janela, Juhana "King Kong" Karhula, Kento Miyahara, Max Caster, Nick Jackson, Stu Grayson, Syuri, Trish Adora & Yunamon.
  • Stardom has TRIPLED the number of roster members who have made the list.... they now have 3!
  • Keep those lists coming!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

If somebody wanted to make and run one I'd be excited to take part, there are so many great tag teams now! :)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

i think a top 5 thread/poll would be great imo

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rude af using Misaos actual age after she said she was shedding it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Yunamon is 32? Thats shocking to me. I thought she was in her mid 20s at most.

She cant count on my list but mention of AZM makes me think of SLKs run in Oedo Tai. Its been good and shes led the group well in the interim.

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.
1. Kenny Omega
2. Bryan Danielson
3. Adam Cole
4. Asuka
5. Kazuchika Okada
6. Pentagon Jr.
7. John Silver
8. Eddie Kingston
9. Miro
10. Powerhouse Hobbs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Can I confirm if this is the WWE Asuka? Or ASUKA/Veny from the Independents/SEAdLINNNG?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
10. Sheamus - Love him. The flipside of Cesaro, being the dude who got what he deserved from the Fed but not from the fans, I've loving always loved this dude from the moment I saw him cut a Father Ted promo on John Cena. I'm got a soft spot for big hosses and Sheamo is a hoss that can go and go and go. It's crazy that he's about to turn 44 and in the middle of a 2-year run that you might as well call a career renaissance, but really from his early singles successes to his work with Cesaro in The Bar and up to the modern day, Big Sheamo's always been one of my fave's.

9. WALTER - The dude fell out of a time portal from another era of wrestling. He gets the business like few people alive today. His storytelling is masterful. His whole deal is a breath of fresh air. And he's put on more absolute bangers in the last 4 years alone than most people will in their entire lives.

8. Finn Balor - Okay listen, I'm an Irish guy. When you come from a small country that loves wrestling you resign yourself to not seeing a lot of guys who look like you or talk like you up there on screen. If an Irish guy gets TV time he'll be wearing a shamrock on his pants and a shillelagh in his hand and have the beaten-up potato face of a hurling player from County Offaly. Then Prince loving Devitt comes along, and is hands down the coolest thing in the world. Devitt's run in New Japan introduced me to non-English wrestling. It made me realize how wrestling could be cool. His look was loving liquid sex. His promos were eh but whatever his in-ring was top-notch, and then WWE signed him and Ireland loving exploded. His first run in NXT set a really positive tone and introduced the first good supernatural gimmick in WWE since Kane debuted. Him beating Roman clean en route to getting rocketed to the Universal title is one of my favorite moments of all time. And his eventual return to NXT helped elevate that brand again. That being said, the statement that came out this week about Finn's future in WWE has left me reflecting on what he's actually achieved, not what I know he can achieve, and it's left me feeling bitter and jaded. Looking back after his initial injury by Seth, and excepting a stellar run in what we now know is unequivocally the developmental brand, Finn was never allowed to rise above the position of mid-card challenger (not even mid-card champion!). His friends have openly said Finn viewed the Japan stage of his career as his "art" stage, and WWE is his "getting paid" stage, so we're likely never going to see Finn kick up a fuss or leave until he slowly fades into irrelevance. This'll likely be the last time I refer to Finn as my favorite wrestler as long as he's with the fed.

7. Ilja Dragunov - I don't know if Ilja will be on this list in a year's time, because this was the year I discovered him and the novelty factor is still riding high, but gently caress do I keep thinking about him a lot. I love the dude's entire gimmick of single-minded determination to win, begining by declaring openly that he's willing to break his body into pieces to do it, so his opponent better be too. And then he deadlifts a 300 pound man and slams his face into the canvas at the end of 30 minutes of having his head kicked off. Absolutely mad lad. He reminds me of what a young Suzuki might be like - vicious, relentless, and absolutely loving rabid. I love it.

6. Adam Page - I wasn't a fan of page for a long time, and I really couldn't tell you why. I'd probably still like him to get a new theme and put on a few pounds, but as far as everything else goes the dude has made me a believer. His in-ring (particularly his god-tier cardio) is among the best there is. His work as as a face is the most refreshing breath of fresh air in decades. His anxious millennial (cowboy) shtick is really, really good, and is itself an endorsement of something you just wouldn't see in NJPW or WWE. Page is a smoothly shaped character and a fantastic wrestler, but it wasn't until these last few months where he's put his body through hell with these matches with Kenny and particularly Danielson that I really came on board. As it is now? I'm all in for more cowboy poo poo.

5. Bryan Danielson - Probably the best wrestler of the last 15 years. Absolutely the dude who both got me back into wrestling after the Ruthless Aggression era checked me out (I didn't get back in until the build for Mania 30) and the dude who turned me from a fan of sports entertainment to wrestling. Nobody else on this list would be on it if Danielson hadn't made me realize how much I loved professional wrestling. His year with the WWE was forgettable (I didn't care for the main event of Mania, as I haven't for many years now) but he instantly joined AEW with one of my favorite matches of all time and hasn't slowed down. His heel-turn has been great, he's helped legitimize Hangman as a champion in his own right, and the list of dream matches I can see him having over the next year or two has me salivating.

4. Shingo Takagi - I swear I made a create-a-wrestler that looked like this 20 tears ago. Takagi looks like a loving beast, but also manages to look like a world champ while doing it. And in the way that New Japan has the knack of selecting their world champs, he looks cool as gently caress while doing it. I don't think Shingo is ever getting the top belt again, but even if he didn't this was his year; he put New Japan on his back during a really difficult time for the promotion, both thanks to the pandemic and occasionally really spotty booking, and made himself a must-watch. His matches with Ospreay, Cobb and Okada in the last year alone are some of my favourite of all time, and though I don't think he's ever getting higher than this I'm glad to see the Rampage Dragon get his dues. I can't wait to see who he sets his sights on next.

3. Jon Moxley - I'm writing this in the early morning of January 20th, a few hours after Mox returned looking 10 years younger and 30 pounds leaner than he has in years and cutting one of the promos of his life, and the amount of love I had for this dude just came flooding back. I love Mox's character, I love his storytelling, I love him going to Japan to kick rear end and bring out some Japanese legends, I love his whole vibe. He's been off for a quarter of a year now and the rest of it really wasn't his story, but I think if you were to ask me who my favourite wrestler was over the last 5 years I'd probably tell you it was Jon Moxley.

2. Kazuchika Okada - It's been his decade. Kazu-chan is the best wrestler alive today, and it's loving nuts that I say this as an ignorant Irishman who can't understand a word he says. The dude's got it all, and everything he's got is top-shelf. He looks like a superstar. He wrestles like an olympic athlete. He tells a story like a master. He's elevated the promotion he works for and the industry he works in. Finn made me aware wrestling in Japan existed, Kenny made me aware it could be cool, but Okada showed me just what I was missing out on. The only downside to Okada is he gets Cenawins syndrome, and with New Japan so stacked with talent I want to see others succeed instead of him, because he's already earned so much. Speaking of...

1. Will Ospreay - This loving guy. You could tell Ospreay was going to be a star years ago, but I never thought he'd have the multi-year run of banger-to-banger-to-banger he's had. I don't think anyone's ever done that. On top of that to go from a top face lightweight to a top heel heavyweight in the space of 18 months and make it not just believable, but put on one of the best main events of all time while doing it, is completely loving nuts. The fact that Will has made such significant changes to his bodymass, to his wrestling style and to his attitude while still keeping such a high level of excellence in in-ring performance is crazy to me. I think he's a more natural tweener or face than a heel - his Essex-Boy heel promos mightn't translate for a lot of people - but I absolutely think the next 5 years are going to see this guy reach the peak of the industry.

Honorable Mentions: MJF (give me a year and a 5 star match and this dude will be here), Scotty Davis (if you can, find his match this past September against Ospreay from OTT's 7th Anniversary show, holy poo poo this kid's going places, and he's only 20) Session Moth Martina (I don't expect the Session Moth gimmick to translate for anyone outside of Ireland and maybe the UK, but holy gently caress do those who know love Martina) Tomohiro Ishii (it's Ishii), Kenny Omega (unpopular opinion; I've legitimately been a bit dissapointed in Kenny since he left NJPW, but only because he was the legitimate best in the world at that point, and in AEW he simply isn't as cool. Him saying he views that he proved everything he had to in NJPW sits wrong with me, most western fans never saw him at his peak and I don't think he's been there in AEW yet. Great matches though, and hoping for some kind of face turn or interaction with NJPW in future to get me into him again)

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 20, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

If somebody wanted to make and run one I'd be excited to take part, there are so many great tag teams now! :)

I don't mind putting one together if I can steal your opening post and edit it for tag teams

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I don't mind putting one together if I can steal your opening post and edit it for tag teams

Steal away!

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

[*] Stardom has TRIPLED the number of roster members who have made the list.... they now have 3!

Finally some justice

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Ten wrestlers isn't enough for this game. We're extremely blessed as wrestling fans in 2022.

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.

Jerusalem posted:

Can I confirm if this is the WWE Asuka? Or ASUKA/Veny from the Independents/SEAdLINNNG?

WWE Asuka

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

We're extremely blessed as wrestling fans in 2022.

We really are, these last few years wrestling has just been getting better and better and we're seeing more and more awesome wrestlers in such a great variety of increasingly accessible promotions from around the world. Compared to even a decade ago the variety on offer is just astounding.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping and reminding that the cut-off for your lists to be posted is midnight at January 23rd, it's getting close to the wire!
  • The Top 20 are clear of any draws at the moment, but a single extra ranking for a number of them could easily change final positions.
  • Last year's top ranked WWE wrestler, Asuka, is no longer one of this year's bottom ranked! That "achievement" currently belongs to (thanks to the alphabet) Shelton Benjamin.
  • WWE and TJPW currently have the same number of wrestlers represented on people's lists.
  • If NXT's totals are added to WWE's, then they would currently be in 3rd place promotion wise just behind New Japan.
  • However if you added Stardom to New Japan (Bushiroad ownership), they'd hold an even more secure 2nd place.
  • However however, if you added TJPW, NOAH and DDT (CyberAgent ownership) then they'd hold a 4 wrestler "lead" over Bushiroad.
  • AEW is unaffected by all that, simply by itself it holds a massively dominant percentage of the list with 62 wrestlers of the 189 listed so far.
  • This thread is how I discovered that Ilja Dragunov is 28 :psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We know what to do with people who don't post their lists :commissar:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Will Hobbs smirk is so good

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hello everyone. I just served out a long probe, which is why I'm answering so close to the deadline. I'd requested the probe, hoping it might help me spend less time on SA. It didn't work I just browsed without saying anything. Anyways, here is my list.

1. Kenny Omega
2-3. The Young Bucks
4. CM Punk
5. American Dragon Bryan Danielson
6. Eddie Kingston
7. Thunder Rosa
8. Shingo Takagi
9. Hangman Page
10. Jon Moxley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Bumping and reminding that the cut-off for your lists to be posted is midnight at January 23rd, it's getting close to the wire!

Midnight where? Where I live is almost 24 hours ahead of the western end of the US and Canada.