Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The frozen steppe troops aren't the only ones there. Fresh troops are heading to Belarus and the Ukrainian border:

https://citeam.org/russian-exercise-or-not-a-exercise.html?2

So the 100k troop number is really outdated. Wonder how much it will be soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

Russian troops have been basically camping in their staging positions for a good few weeks now in the worst weather imaginable,

Eh... this is much more pleasant than what the troops from northern Russia ared used to in January.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Biden's team is in damage control mode over the "minor incursion" sound bite.

https://twitter.com/emilyhorne46/status/1483934454238351362

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Dante80 posted:

For Putin?
Everyone including him. Long term I don't how seeing expanding military operations in Ukraine will help Putin apart from a short term spike in approval.

spacetoaster posted:

Do you think Crimeans want to go back to Ukraine? Also, what do you think Ukraine would do there if they got it back?
Ukraine wants it back. Yeah I know about the "referendum vote" but if you have been around in this thread long enough you would see stuff like this. Russia cannot service the peninsula and this was one of the primary reasons control was transferred to Ukraine. Ukraine stopped the power and literally dammed the canal that provides most of the fresh water there. Russia cannot provide effectively provide services even if they want to. I don't understand why you think Ukraine has to justify getting back its territory when it us Russia that has to justify why it annexed it.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
For Crimea it's also unserviced by Russian banks and many companies. For a relevant example you can see Northern Cyprus that wants to reunite with the Greeks. Dunno about the current situation in Crimea but the massive repressions of Crimean Tatars and Ukrainians surely doesn't help

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Somaen posted:

For Crimea it's also unserviced by Russian banks and many companies. For a relevant example you can see Northern Cyprus that wants to reunite with the Greeks. Dunno about the current situation in Crimea but the massive repressions of Crimean Tatars and Ukrainians surely doesn't help
You don't have to compare it to Northern Cyprus. It is unserviced by (most) Russian banks and companies because of sanctions. It is a no-brainer for a company to choose between doing business between the EU and Crimea.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

BoldFace posted:

Eh... this is much more pleasant than what the troops from northern Russia ared used to in January.

Huh. Meanwhile in Poland:

https://twitter.com/sob_pl/status/1484110811433943040?s=21

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Budzilla posted:

You don't have to compare it to Northern Cyprus. It is unserviced by (most) Russian banks and companies because of sanctions. It is a no-brainer for a company to choose between doing business between the EU and Crimea.

I know, it's a good comparison in that they're both unrecognised, economically depressed regions due to sanctions that were invaded for ethnic nationalism. The northern Cyprus grumblings to reunite with the Greeks shows that what the people on the ground actually want might not be the same as what the nationalist government claims

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
With 100K+ troops in camps on the border, wouldn't Omicron be running wild through the whole force by now?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Comstar posted:

With 100K+ troops in camps on the border, wouldn't Omicron be running wild through the whole force by now?

It's an army, not a festival. Soldiers are naturally isolated from each other most of the time. Ultimately it depends on how accommodation etc. are arranged. (In Finland conscripts have been doing a six week rotation where you serve 2 weeks at garrison, 2 weeks in field camp, and 2 weeks on home leave to minimize contacts.)

Soldiers don't have that much say over if they want to take the Sputnik, too, so they well might be more protected than civilians of same age in Russia.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 20, 2022

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

How are soldiers isolated from each other, sharing barracks, tents, showers and mess halls? This is ridiculous.

As for sputnik, even the Russians arent trying to claim that the vaccine makes you immune to omicron. You might not get pneumonia but unlikely to do much of anything other than lie and wait.

As for Belarus involvement, I just read a piece that they still havent selected a commander for the excersize. Luka doesnt want a Russian to command on our turf and Russians wont let Luka command. Seems likely that both armies will have their own command like previous times. Which makes northern invasion into UA pretty much 0 percent as well as severely diminishing psyops factor to disperse Ukranian resurces to fortify BY border.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Sekenr posted:

How are soldiers isolated from each other, sharing barracks, tents, showers and mess halls? This is ridiculous.

This isn't some geriatric camping trip. Most of the soldiers are young and physically in good shape. They're also most definitely vaccinated. But even if there are omicron breakthrough cases, it won't be a big deal. People get sick and then they get better.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1484171183264129025

:allears: Nice Engrish, Mr. Zelenskyy.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1484171144743714818

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HonorableTB posted:

When the oil runs out the collapse of the petrostates is going to be quite the sight to see

Gas going below $2 a gallon in 2012 destroyed Venezuela and caused a good dozen of countries a lot of political turmoil. Electric vehicles becoming the average car on the road would be enough and (looks at every carmakers factory plans and investment announcements) welp. 10 years before it’s the standard for all new cars, another 15 for it to filter through to the preowned market.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

oh poo poo is this because держава in Ukrainian just means the neutral "state"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think he may intentionally have said what he did, but yeah, держава is nation/state/country, and different languages have different terms for “superpower” - in Latvian, for example, it’s “big country” (not kidding).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh man zelensky doing the Ukrainian equivalent of Serbia strong. But with more stuffy suits and less accordions

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/blinken-says-russian-attack-ukraine-could-come-very-short-notice-2022-01-19/

quote:

Biden and his team have prepared a broad set of sanctions and other economic penalties to impose on Russia in the event of an invasion and the U.S. president said Russian companies could lose the ability to use the U.S. dollar.

OK, if this actually happens, it's going to be much more of a nuclear move than SWIFT ban would've been. Russia pays for approximately 40% of its trades with USD.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/blinken-says-russian-attack-ukraine-could-come-very-short-notice-2022-01-19/

OK, if this actually happens, it's going to be much more of a nuclear move than SWIFT ban would've been. Russia pays for approximately 40% of its trades with USD.

They'll just turn to the euro, no?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oracle posted:

They'll just turn to the euro, no?

Last I checked, euro trees don't grow in Russia. Besides, not all recipients will accept the euro, and the bottom will immediately fall off the rouble.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I remember the race to 100 roubles / USD in the aftermath of Crimea... didn't do much then. Hopefully this time the thread is more credible.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wonder if Russia would back off if Ukraine turned the water back on for Crimea?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder if Russia would back off if Ukraine turned the water back on for Crimea?

I think the best solution to the crisis is recognizing Russia's sovereignty over Crimea, Russian withdrawal from the Donbass, normalizing relations, and maybe saying Ukraine won't join NATO for 20 years or something to kick the can long enough that Putin won't view it as his problem anymore. The US pretends not to believe in spheres of influence, but imagine how much we'd freak out if China started establishing bases in the Western Hemisphere and transferring arms to Mexico while refusing to rule out a full on military alliance. Turkey also obviously views its near abroad as part of its sphere of influence, as it's occupying portions of two of its neighbors (one of which the US is also partially occupying), with regular incursions into the territory of a third, so this NATO solidarity against the concept of great powers having interests outside their borders is absurd.

If recognizing Russia's regional influence prevents an invasion, it seems better to me than punishing Russia after the fact, especially since other nearby targets of potential Russian hostility are already in the EU and/or NATO--there's no slippery slope to fall down.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 20, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

There is no need to guess. They already have presented us a non-negotiable list of explicit demands that we need to fulfill for them not to attack Ukraine. Non-negotiable means that anything less than the full list leads to an attack.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I think the best solution to the crisis is recognizing Russia's sovereignty over Crimea, Russian withdrawal from the Donbass, normalizing relations, and maybe saying Ukraine won't join NATO for 20 years or something to kick the can long enough that Putin won't view it as his problem anymore. The US pretends not to believe in spheres of influence, but imagine how much we'd freak out if China started establishing bases in the Western Hemisphere and transferring arms to Mexico while refusing to rule out a full on military alliance. Turkey also obviously views its near abroad as part of its sphere of influence, as it's occupying portions of two of its neighbors (one of which the US is also partially occupying), with regular incursions into the territory of a third, so this NATO solidarity against the concept of great powers having interests outside their borders is absurd.

If recognizing Russia's regional influence prevents an invasion, it seems better to me than punishing Russia after the fact, especially since other nearby targets of potential Russian hostility are already in the EU and/or NATO--there's no slippery slope to fall down.

Sure, rewarding Putin with everything he wanted to get from his actions. I'm sure there won't be any consequences to that. Oh wait, no, this hillside is made entirely of grease and lube.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

None of it would work. The Kremlin understands the situation like if they want to be treated like big boys Russia has to show its strength. Since economically they are smaller than the state of California or South Korea or something, and economy is just too much work gotta cut corners and rattle the sabers. Conceding to this will just make them demand their "rightful due" such as the baltics and who knows what else.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord Awkward posted:

Sure, rewarding Putin with everything he wanted to get from his actions. I'm sure there won't be any consequences to that. Oh wait, no, this hillside is made entirely of grease and lube.

Spheres of influence for me, not for thee isn't really much of a principle to sacrifice Ukraine over. Russia put up with more encroachments on their border than even gung ho optimists would have guessed in 1991, and now that they're drawing a hard line everyone who got drunk off the glory years of post-Cold War rollback is going "where the gently caress is this coming from???" while pretending to be purely innocent pacifists who've never violated another country's sovereignty. From Russia's perspective, the slippery slope is the US making a bad faith pledge about NATO enlargement and partnership with Russia and then doing everything it could to eradicate Russian influence both in its neighboring countries and (more forcefully) beyond its immediate grasp.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sinteres posted:

Alternatively, split Russia up into a bunch of smaller states, increasing the distance between NATO states and (Rump) Russia.

Sinteres posted:

Your suggestion only makes sense if you assume Russia isn't gonna try something else at some point whenever Putin's popularity flags. Making any of his adventures more costly and drawn out makes military adventurism less viable for boosting his numbers, which would encourage him to go a different route.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Your suggestion only makes sense if you assume Russia isn't gonna try something else at some point whenever Putin's popularity flags. Making any of his adventures more costly and drawn out makes military adventurism less viable for boosting his numbers, which would encourage him to go a different route.

Where else would Russia trying something even make sense? As I said, any other country we give a poo poo about is already in NATO or the EU. I guess the EU still lets Turkey push around Cyprus sometimes, so maybe EU membership wouldn't be a total guarantee against meddling with Finland, but Finland found a way to peacefully manage its relationship with the Soviet Union for decades after World War 2, so I think it can manage to thread the needle with Putin too.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Spheres of influence for me, not for thee isn't really much of a principle to sacrifice Ukraine over. Russia put up with more encroachments on their border than even gung ho optimists would have guessed in 1991, and now that they're drawing a hard line everyone who got drunk off the glory years of post-Cold War rollback is going "where the gently caress is this coming from???" while pretending to be purely innocent pacifists who've never violated another country's sovereignty. From Russia's perspective, the slippery slope is the US making a bad faith pledge about NATO enlargement and partnership with Russia and then doing everything it could to eradicate Russian influence both in its neighboring countries and (more forcefully) beyond its immediate grasp.

What is this nonsense. What encroachments? Russia so far encroached on Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine while simultaniously willingly gave the bloody island Damanskiy to China, who encroached on Russia?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Once again, countries voluntarily joining up through diplomatic efforts to pursue a common goal, and countries being put into vassal-like bondage by force aren't the same thing, and calling them both "creating spheres of influence" is tantamount to arguing in bad faith and parroting Sputnik propaganda. Countries that are threatened by free cooperation of others (because they profit from preying on the weak and isolated) are the problem and their demands to explicitly harm other countries shouldn't be entertained, obviously.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Once again, countries voluntarily joining up through diplomatic efforts to pursue a common goal and countries being put into vassal-like bondage by force aren't the same thing, and calling them both "creating spheres of influence" is tantamount to arguing in bad faith and parroting Sputnik propaganda. Countries that are threatened by free cooperation of others are the problem and their demands to explicitly harm other countries shouldn't be entertained, obviously.

So are you seriously suggesting the US would have no problem with Mexico joining a military alliance with China as long as it was voluntary? Or that Syria and Cyprus voluntarily agreed to have their territory occupied by two and one NATO members respectively?

Sekenr posted:

What is this nonsense. What encroachments? Russia so far encroached on Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine while simultaniously willingly gave the bloody island Damanskiy to China, who encroached on Russia?

I didn't mean that NATO actually invaded Russia, just that it kept extending its guarantees to Russia's border and Russia finally drew the line around Ukraine as off limits.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Putin’s in this situation in the first place due to his inability to understand the idea of achieving policy objectives through being nice instead of armies, assasinations, cyberattacks, and weird mind games. Nothing the Ukraine or the US does will stop home from being super aggressive. It’s the only trick in his book.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

So are you seriously suggesting the US would have no problem with Mexico joining a military alliance with China as long as it was voluntary? Or that Syria and Cyprus voluntarily agreed to have their territory occupied by two and one NATO members respectively?

Nobody in this thread has defended American FP, take your whataboutism and shove it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Putin’s in this situation in the first place due to his inability to understand the idea of achieving policy objectives through being nice instead of armies, assasinations, cyberattacks, and weird mind games. Nothing the Ukraine or the US does will stop home from being super aggressive. It’s the only trick in his book.

You may as well just pull out the Munich analogy at this point, now that you're presenting him as an irrational actor whose only goal is to grasp for more and more regardless of the actions of external powers.

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody in this thread has defended American FP, take your whataboutism and shove it

The US is explicitly invoking a principle neither it nor Turkey actually believes to justify an extremely punitive response to Russia's actions, so I think pointing out the hypocrisy is relevant. If you think the country that violates sovereignty more than others is a good guarantor of international stability and should have the power to unilaterally destroy the economy of anyone who steps out of line, that's fine; I'm just saying I think it's bad.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 20, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

You may as well just pull out the Munich analogy at this point, now that you're presenting him as an irrational actor whose only goal is to grasp for more and more regardless of the actions of external powers.

Since he's and other Russian elites are rational actors responding to actions of others, I can only assume you would agree it's rational to pressure Russia and squeeze Putin until he gives up or somebody finally offs him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Because appeasing aggressive autocrats has always worked so well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, the US would have a fit if China started doing that, and they'd be just as wrong as Russia.

Sinteres posted:

No one is calling him irrational, just limited in his imagination/ability to do poo poo that would make him more popular because it'd mean weakening the power of him and his friends. Nationalism and imperialism are the resort of rulers who can't/won't offer their people a productive path forward.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Because appeasing aggressive autocrats has always worked so well.

Hey, there's the Munich analogy after all.

steinrokkan posted:

Since he's and other Russian elites are rational actors responding to actions of others, I can only assume you would agree it's rational to pressure Russia and squeeze Putin until he gives up or somebody finally offs him.

I think carrots and sticks instead of just sticks would be better, and would take out the weird part about trying to encourage Russians to assassinate their head of state. When you say squeeze Putin, what you mean is immiserate Russians through economic warfare.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I didn't mean that NATO actually invaded Russia, just that it kept extending its guarantees to Russia's border and Russia finally drew the line around Ukraine as off limits.

So? Ukraine is clearly set upon self determination without asking the go ahead from Moscow, everone should support that not Putin's bullshit which they cant back up in any case.