Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

IAMKOREA posted:

Not sure if the article mentioned it but it's also radioactive!

good thread title, if it hadn't just changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IAMKOREA posted:

Not sure if the article mentioned it but it's also radioactive!

Not ideal but that's life

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i love them

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Honestly if you know about and fully accept what's coming and need that in potential partners too you're already shrinking the eligible pool of people more than like weirdo incel standards would.

I'm not saying it's even a bad thing to need in principle, an agreed upon reality is a good thing for a relationship, but it is a limitation you're going to have to face.

If you accept it there's no reason to make it the focal point of everything. We know we're going to die but if your partner is constantly talking about cancer, heart disease, dementia, alzheimers etc it's going to destroy any potential joy you could have. If you truly fully accept it then you just live with it. If you make everything about it then you're still negotiating.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

our ancestors hosed and sucked through much worse times, if it werent for them we wouldnt be here today, destroying the biosphere again

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
weve lived through mass extinctions before well do it again

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Owling Howl posted:

If you accept it there's no reason to make it the focal point of everything. We know we're going to die but if your partner is constantly talking about cancer, heart disease, dementia, alzheimers etc it's going to destroy any potential joy you could have. If you truly fully accept it then you just live with it. If you make everything about it then you're still negotiating.
the zen of the crack ping

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Communist Thoughts posted:

our ancestors hosed and sucked through much worse times, if it werent for them we wouldnt be here today, destroying the biosphere again

I often think about this.

I recently had a kid (lol lmao etc) and spent a long time thinking, do I really wanna? With future quality of life looking so grim? And then I remind myself that, historically, humans will happily pop out a kid and somehow successfully raise them in the very pits of hell.

It'll be fine!

FINE I SAID.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I remember when I was 15 having a little chat with my grandmother about how we were living in the land of plenty and it was soon gonna become an absolute shitshow (I had recently read about peak oil). I wonder what my kid will be thinking about the future when he's 15.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hey, the Boomers lived through the Cold War where no one thought they were going to live to see 30!

Of course, now that they're 70+ they want to ensure their children experience the same existential terror and that their nightmares are well-founded!

You know, so we become the same kind of well-rounded individuals they did! :shepface:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey, the Boomers lived through the Cold War where no one thought they were going to live to see 30!

Of course, now that they're 70+ they want to ensure their children experience the same existential terror and that their nightmares are well-founded!

You know, so we become the same kind of well-rounded individuals they did! :shepface:

i mean they cant really do anything about it, just like us really

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I often think about this.

I recently had a kid (lol lmao etc) and spent a long time thinking, do I really wanna? With future quality of life looking so grim? And then I remind myself that, historically, humans will happily pop out a kid and somehow successfully raise them in the very pits of hell.

It'll be fine!

FINE I SAID.

i think on balance most people would rather exist than not, even in lovely times, we're weird like that

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

zoomers scare me

a friend showed me a zoomer meme recently which was just a nondescript image of toast

i dunno what the newest generation after zoomer is called but theyre gonna be hosed up beyond human imagination

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
the next generation are the doomers, not because they espouse the holy crack ping but instead because theyll be doomed

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Raine posted:

zoomers scare me

a friend showed me a zoomer meme recently which was just a nondescript image of toast

i dunno what the newest generation after zoomer is called but theyre gonna be hosed up beyond human imagination

imagine how much they are going to hate us

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
only the short people will survive this hellscape

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Shima Honnou posted:

the next generation are the doomers, not because they espouse the holy crack ping but instead because theyll be doomed

we're the doomers

they are the doomees

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lolling thinking about the poor bastards who have millenials as the older generation

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Communist Thoughts posted:

lolling thinking about the poor bastards who have millenials as the older generation

at least the old folks homes will have good computers and video games and poo poo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

at least the old folks homes will have good computers and video games and poo poo

a computer room with a bunch of elderly millennials conc jumping around 2fort at 640x480 so we can see the screen with our bad eyes

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owling Howl posted:

Lmao Jesus dude no, it's the big occasional poo poo that makes it a hard stop. Like talking about retirement plans and wanting kids/grandkids because you want to 'be remembered/leave a legacy' Like still believing that we'll turn this thing around if we just Vote! hard enough.

Day-to-day it's that I start laughing at random things like a hyena and a partner is someone I don't want to lie about why to.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i'm just glad i was born just in time to still encounter the occasional wild animal
i'll be very sad to see them all go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3FxcVMS-c

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Marenghi posted:

How a Married Undercover Cop Having Sex With Activists Killed a Climate Movement

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epxbpj/kate-wilson-mark-kennedy-undercover-cop-sex-with-activists

thinking about that video of those british tv personalities yelling at that activist for blocking roads :qq: and contrasting it with the poo poo cops will do to break up activist groups

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

thinking about that video of those british tv personalities yelling at that activist for blocking roads :qq: and contrasting it with the poo poo cops will do to break up activist groups

I know all of the resources backing the governments and industries that demand to destroy humans and the planet for profit are aligned against activists but that article describes a cop that basically got bored of his marriage and spent 2 entire years living with a younger girl then claiming it was all undercover.

I have a feeling only certain kinds of married cops are going to try and break up attractive younger activist groups that way.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Activists and left parties desperately need to stop loving one another. It's middle school in those circles.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Raine posted:

zoomers scare me

they are called generation Y

because, you know, "why" is the question they'll be asking a lot as everything dies

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

they are called generation Y

because, you know, "why" is the question they'll be asking a lot as everything dies

that's Millennials, Zoomers are Gen. Z as in The Last One.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I know all of the resources backing the governments and industries that demand to destroy humans and the planet for profit are aligned against activists but that article describes a cop that basically got bored of his marriage and spent 2 entire years living with a younger girl then claiming it was all undercover.

I have a feeling only certain kinds of married cops are going to try and break up attractive younger activist groups that way.

He slept with her to get deeper into the activist movement and give himself an air of legitimacy.

You got your timeline all hosed up. He went undercover in 2002, didn't move in with her into a houseshare with other activists until 2004, helped spy on their activities until 2009 when they all got busted trying shut down a coal power plant. Not long after that he got pulled from the assignment. Then he got found out cause his then girlfriend found his true identity as all his fake documents had been taken when the assignment was finished.

That's 7 years undercover and no one would have ever known had he not continued to date one of the activists.

Just think how many undercover ops we don't know about cause the undercover wasn't horny and dipping back into his role so he could have an extramarital affair.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
At least half of the potential partners I meet are unvaccinated and have weird political opinions about it. Of the other half, I'd say 75% of those are in the mindset of average thinking of everyone a decade or two ago wrt climate. Out of all of them, I've met one who was collapse aware but still very convinced science will figure that out here shortly.

I don't even have any IRL friends who are crack pinged. And the few that can see it, are intentionally deciding to ignore it fully and say they aren't going to change anything or even click a link until they are absolutely forced to.

If you are single, and not sucking and loving now domestically, good loving luck doing it outside this thread if you need to talk about collapse in that suck and gently caress.

Honestly best to just hire out when needed and find other ways to be emotionally full filled.

That or someone make a dating site for friends for the end of the world.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Basic Poster posted:

If you are single, and not sucking and loving now domestically, good loving luck doing it outside this thread if you need to talk about collapse in that suck and gently caress.

Me, mouth full of cum: "plaspics now oupweigh all biolopipal lithe" *resumes sucking*

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It’s been interesting reading everyone’s opinions WRT whether I should lie to, make miserable, or leave my spouse because the world is going to end at some point.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

tiberion02 posted:

just stop being assholes to your partners, or :sever: and be miserable

like 99% of people would likely be less miserable if they severed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

uguu posted:

So does Buddhism. And they're right. And both Jesus and the Buddha taught us to be kind and contemplative and good to handle this world.
It's hardly fair to blame Jesus for what America and the world in general have done to his teachings.

buddhism teaches that you dissipate into nothingness if you achieve enlightenment, or else you return to this material world to continue the cycle of life & death (so it's implicit you probably don't want the material world to become literal Hell). christianity teaches that you will be explicitly rewarded if you "do good", and the reward is dying and passing into a world more real than the current one where you will be eternally happy. a central tenet of christianity is that on rapture/judgement day everyone else will be left behind to suffer while the believers literally ascend into heaven. this is not a new belief whatsoever, and it's not hard to see the connection between "I'll go to the true kingdom of heaven!" and "It doesn't really matter how bad we gently caress up this planet because eternal reward awaits me upon death"

abrahamism was a death cult even 2000 years ago. release your sentimental attachment to a fictional conglomeration of various itinerant preachers.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Raine posted:

zoomers scare me

Lmao you're a boomer to them and they're asking if you smell burnt toast

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

buddhism teaches that you dissipate into nothingness if you achieve enlightenment, or else you return to this material world to continue the cycle of life & death (so it's implicit you probably don't want the material world to become literal Hell). christianity teaches that you will be explicitly rewarded if you "do good", and the reward is dying and passing into a world more real than the current one where you will be eternally happy. a central tenet of christianity is that on rapture/judgement day everyone else will be left behind to suffer while the believers literally ascend into heaven. this is not a new belief whatsoever, and it's not hard to see the connection between "I'll go to the true kingdom of heaven!" and "It doesn't really matter how bad we gently caress up this planet because eternal reward awaits me upon death"

abrahamism was a death cult even 2000 years ago. release your sentimental attachment to a fictional conglomeration of various itinerant preachers.

I reread Ishmael recently and, while definitely being an introductory text to this topic and having way less impact than it did the first time, I do still like the reframing of Abrahamic creation myth as a story about how the Agriculturalist societies defiled paradise and killed any neighbors that didn't convert willingly - as told by the people who were enjoying paradise before being unwillingly dragged into Agricultural society.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The forbidden apple of knowledge was the knowledge that dropping the apple core into the dirt would create another apple tree

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

nomad2020 posted:

It’s been interesting reading everyone’s opinions WRT whether I should lie to, make miserable, or leave my spouse because the world is going to end at some point.
in your relationship, as in life, our votes count!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

it was but it really wasn’t until the reformation and Protestantism in the 1600+ that really kicked it off. there’s actually a lot of good stuff on how Protestantism took power in the face of increasing capitalism because it could better rectify or be washed to ignore various anti-capital teachings (and political power) of the Catholic Church

also in many ways just go back the works of Freud about his observations of America during the 1918 that led to a formative conception of “death drive”

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The forbidden apple of knowledge was the knowledge that dropping the apple core into the dirt would create another apple tree

That's pretty close. I don't know if you've read it, but Ishmael's take on it is basically:

Eating from the Tree of Good and Evil was the Agriculturalists deciding that:
- The Earth is here for Human Beings. All life on it was just a drumroll leading up to the time that Homo Sapiens Sapiens emerged to claim his birthright.
- As a result, all life on Earth is fair game for Humankind to manage as they see fit. This includes claiming as much land to make as much food as possible, even if it means destroying the food sources of other other animals, hunting predators of our food sources, etc. Murder of any living thing is fair game as long as the end goal is keeping humanity on top of the planet.
- This is the correct way to live, because this is how the Gods live. They decide what lives and dies, and we want to be like them. Therefore, anyone who doesn't want to be like Us doesn't want to be like God, so they can also be killed without much issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shima Honnou posted:

And they’ve been raised during the pandemic and have had 3 years and counting of dubious education and socialization, plus whatever is to become of education in the wake of the pandemic.