Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sickening posted:

Any other details ?

I've no idea what the actual cause may be or how widespread it may be, no, but I can personally attest to seeing multiple cards that didn't belong to me (with nothing otherwise amiss about the account). Hopefully just some momentary misconfiguration on their part, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

CFR 32 and 48 are still going to contain CMMC 2.0 by rule changes to be implemented by late 2023. Did you fall out of scope or something?

From what I know of the situation some CMMC rules will be added to 32/48, but they're doing a revamp of CMMC entirely to be figured out by '24? '25? Never?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Company I used to work for stores DoorDash’s payment info for them, wonder if I can get any juicy gossip.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Defenestrategy posted:

From what I know of the situation some CMMC rules will be added to 32/48, but they're doing a revamp of CMMC entirely to be figured out by '24? '25? Never?

Whatever comes out the other side is going to look like:

Level 1 / Level A / Basic / Low: Basic Safeguarding that's barely more than what you used to need to throw into boilerplate parts of a TCP that don't have to do with disclosure

Level 2 / Level B / Moderate / Advanced: ISO 27001 800-53r4 800-171r2 standards that honestly you should have controls implemented in any bigger-than-a-corner-grocery business

Level 3 / Level C / High / Expert / "We at the DoD figured we could misuse this CUI thing as a vehicle for making our secret squirrel noncompetitive procurement/program trivially nondisclosable without violating Title 10, wait, hold up, the whole point was to protect federal data while also making it available to the public via ORA/FOIA, that's fine, we'll pretend we're allowed to make our own cui registry, just buy a high impact level Azure/Microsoft365 subscription": you better have millions to throw at a full SOC, in house high quality security engineering, a hunt capacity, threat intelligence analysts, and IT admins more flexible than Gumby. Or Mr Bill, as might be more appropriate.

There are good reasons to secure our defense supply chain but lord, I did not anticipate that CMMC would end up being uglier than faithfully navigating export control.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 16, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tldr the renewal of any five year performance period you might have for in-scope programs is still liable to involve some kind of assessment in SPRS/eMASS, with that likelihood being directly proportional to the deemed criticality of the program

my distant understanding is that pilot entities that will need Expert have been given heads up "hey, you're in scope for Level 3" in agency engagements already in the prior year

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 16, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Best not use safari on MacOS and sign out of google accounts on iOS.

https://www.engadget.com/safari-webkit-exploit-browser-history-google-account-200711732.html

November 28th it was reported to Apple and still not fixed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's a bit extra given that it only reveals usernames, profile pics, etc

esp since aiui every ios is affected

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bull3964 posted:

Best not use safari on MacOS and sign out of google accounts on iOS.

https://www.engadget.com/safari-webkit-exploit-browser-history-google-account-200711732.html

November 28th it was reported to Apple and still not fixed.

https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/commit/f73005ed826014988f8ee447de23927749fb56e5

When in doubt, call Apple out directly

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seems to be a common theme with Apple. They are training security researchers essentially to forgo private reporting and the bounty program, going straight to public disclosure to get any traction.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Seems to be a common theme with Apple. They are training security researchers essentially to forgo private reporting and the bounty program, going straight to public disclosure to get any traction.

Pretty much. They've not done a great job at handling disclosure to the point of irritating half the major researchers I know of.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

listen, if they just ignore bugs, they'll cease to exist!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Potato Salad posted:

listen, if they just ignore bugs, they'll cease to exist!

They're not bugs. Users are just holding the code wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
In other stupid news, the UK Government is going all in on the "End to End Encryption bad because Criminals and think of the children"

https://twitter.com/NCA_UK/status/1483403983159009280?s=20

The US (FBI especially) has been pulling these stunts as well, and in both cases is people who are woefully undereducated on how encryption mathematically works and pretending backdoors are going to be easy and not break the encryption itself or make it easier to crack.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Next you'll be telling me not to use Dual_EC_DRBG for my encryption needs and that I can't just blindly trust NIST recommendations :colbert:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CommieGIR posted:

The US (FBI especially) has been pulling these stunts as well, and in both cases is people who are woefully undereducated on how encryption mathematically works and pretending backdoors are going to be easy and not break the encryption itself or make it easier to crack.

They're perfectly aware of the second-order consequences of such legislation. They just don't care because the consequences will be felt by (1) companies/devs trying to figure out how to not have their services broken, and (2) normal human customers of the various services. Neither of which impact them, the LEOs, in any negative way, but it sure would make their jobs a lot easier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

They're perfectly aware of the second-order consequences of such legislation. They just don't care because the consequences will be felt by (1) companies/devs trying to figure out how to not have their services broken, and (2) normal human customers of the various services. Neither of which impact them, the LEOs, in any negative way, but it sure would make their jobs a lot easier.

It likely wouldn't make their jobs easier, because only the most basic of criminals wouldn't use proper encryption. So they'd catch easy crimes, not actual criminals easier.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

It likely wouldn't make their jobs easier, because only the most basic of criminals wouldn't use proper encryption. So they'd catch easy crimes, not actual criminals easier.

You had them at "catch easy crimes".

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

Tbh, that is probably half the point.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

In other stupid news, the UK Government is going all in on the "End to End Encryption bad because Criminals and think of the children"

so.... has no one patiently explained to these idiots that end to end encryption is useful because it helps prevent unwanted interception of signals. Including that of law enforcement agency's to undercovers or each other, or politicians to their campaigns, paramours, and bagmen?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well obviously LEOs would be exempt. But yeah the politicians will be in for a rude awakening when they realize the impact on themselves after the fact.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Current poo poo job just gave me the most petty cherry on my poo poo sundae that is this place.

They refuse to use AWS Secrets Manager because it "costs to much". A secret is 40 cents a month....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Current poo poo job just gave me the most petty cherry on my poo poo sundae that is this place.

They refuse to use AWS Secrets Manager because it "costs to much". A secret is 40 cents a month....

We'll see how much a breach will cost.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Ignore, will PM

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 18, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Systems manager parameter store is free in most circumstances

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

We'll see how much a breach will cost.

I brought that up! It fell on deaf ears however. Mind you I've been here 3 months. In that time twice AWS has reached out to us and told us that EC2 instances we're running are getting multiple abuse reports submitted against them. Each time I'm ready to call and all hands on deck to figure out what exactly is going on and each time they've simply shut them down and called it good. I honestly wonder at what point AWS steps in.

Happiness Commando posted:

Systems manager parameter store is free in most circumstances
Thats true, but it doesnt handle cross account sharing well last I checked, and I dont trust the devs here to rotate secrets properly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just make sure you are documenting all this for CYOA. Because as soon as a breach does happen, and they try to use their Cyber Insurance, they are going to point fingers. Document it, get your Manager's sign off on risks the business refuses to own or mitigate.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Just make sure you are documenting all this for CYOA. Because as soon as a breach does happen, and they try to use their Cyber Insurance, they are going to point fingers. Document it, get your Manager's sign off on risks the business refuses to own or mitigate.

Its maddening and I need to learn to just let it go. I literally had a discussion today with a manager where we are adding in a resolved(ignored) closure code to Jira tasks for ignored GuardDuty findings in the ONE account I was able to get that service turned on for.

I got hired to do AWS security. The org desperately needs someone to take charge and start implementing basic best practices. The small team I am a part of is fully on board with things, the larger org is not. I feel like I got sold a bag of lies! They're a good(ish) company. Excellent benefits, good pay, super cheap and good insurance, treat people right, etc. But they just dont want to pay a dime for security. Its like they hire someone for this and then they just pat themselves on the back.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant I'll move future bitching to the other thread. This isnt really anything new in security. Just got to let it go, collect the paychecks and move on with my life.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Hire a consultant to tell them that? It's amazing and sad how often humans trust something from outside the tribe vs someone inside the tribe.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup. Once you get hired it means you were dumb enough to work "here."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Hire a consultant to tell them that? It's amazing and sad how often humans trust something from outside the tribe vs someone inside the tribe.

lmao it's amazing at how much money some of my employers have spent on external parties to tell them exactly what someone they already pay said to do.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

We are going through that right now at my job :( so many wasted dollars

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

lmao it's amazing at how much money some of my employers have spent on external parties to tell them exactly what someone they already pay said to do.

I'm a consultant and my customers will hire consultants from other companies just to get a second opinion on my advice. If it's what they want to hear, you only need to tell them once. If it's not, they will go out and pull a Fox News and find the one person on earth with valid credentials who says HTTP is just fine and HTTPS is a scam by Verisign.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This company is paying Amazon a huge sum of money to basically walk them through AWS's Well-Architected Framework, that is in the works. But Ithey dont seem to want to actually do anything with the recommendations.

The problem is they dont want to pay for anything and its seriously so maddening. I have completely given up. I've been in IT long enough to know that everything will never be perfect, you'll always fight the battle of security vs convenience and cost, and that you're a cost center to a business. But this place is the worse run org I've ever been a part of in 10+ years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This company is paying Amazon a huge sum of money to basically walk them through AWS's Well-Architected Framework, that is in the works. But Ithey dont seem to want to actually do anything with the recommendations.

The problem is they dont want to pay for anything and its seriously so maddening. I have completely given up. I've been in IT long enough to know that everything will never be perfect, you'll always fight the battle of security vs convenience and cost, and that you're a cost center to a business. But this place is the worse run org I've ever been a part of in 10+ years.

My favorite tool for illustrating this is the HIPAA WALL OF SHAME

https://ocrportal.hhs.gov/ocr/breach/breach_report.jsf

Even if they're not under HIPAA regulations, the point is to show that poo poo happens regularly and has real consequences (to the extent that the legal fiction of a company being forced to pay the legal fiction of money counts as real consequences).

Edit: I highly recommend expanding them and browsing the descriptions.

quote:

The covered entity (CE), Jackson County Health Department, reported that an employee failed to use the blind carbon copy function and inadvertently emailed the electronic protected health information (ePHI) of 1,000 individuals to unauthorized recipients. The ePHI involved included names, email addresses, and vaccination information. The CE notified HHS, affected individuals, and the media. In response to the breach, the CE sanctioned and retrained the responsible employee on the proper methods of protecting and safeguarding ePHI.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive complained enough, and I dont want to doxx myself so I'll try to stop here. But let me just say that this place should fail audits for cyberinsurance, and was in the news in the last 5 years for an "incident", and it'll absolutely happen again sooner or later.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 20, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it still probateable to just post a meme because I think this one is pretty on the nose…

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

why would anybody actually pay for a cwpp or "cnapp"

best i can tell they're six figure products that tell you to loving patch your poo poo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Martytoof posted:

Is it still probateable to just post a meme because I think this one is pretty on the nose…

oh I see you work with me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Infosec101.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Martytoof posted:

ICS dog