Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm not sure where to post this, but last night I had a dream that I was working on a Doctor Who special. Matt Smith (who preferred to be called "Eleven" in real life) was back and his companion was Roger Rabbit (I had been hired to do the voice for Roger). Frankly, it kind of worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eleven basically was a cartoon with the way he handled things from time to time, so that'd work almost alarmingly too well

Are we sure Eleven wasn't just Bugs and Micky in a tweed jacket and bow tie?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ends with another Eleven clone going to live with Jessica Rabbit in the cartoon universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If there's going to be any sort of animated/CG companion it's going to be a goddamned shapeshifting penguin.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

If there's going to be any sort of animated/CG companion it's going to be a goddamned shapeshifting penguin.

I'm on board with this if Frobisher has the same terrible American accent, it's part of the charm.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm on board with this if Frobisher has the same terrible American accent, it's part of the charm.

Nyaaaah, seee?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If nothing else I think a Roger Rabbit style "portable hole" is something they could give the Doctor without bringing in a cartoon universe. He already has a terrifying House of Leaves spaceship, might as well give him the portable hole, at the very least a Bag of Holding.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Corbyn cheerfully handing a big jar of something called "carrot jam" to Six, who walks away frowning and whispering "Doesn't he look anti-semitic?" to one of his aides.

loving hell :xd:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Khanstant posted:

If nothing else I think a Roger Rabbit style "portable hole" is something they could give the Doctor without bringing in a cartoon universe. He already has a terrifying House of Leaves spaceship, might as well give him the portable hole, at the very least a Bag of Holding.

In the 60s comics, the First Doctor absolutely had a Bag of Holding

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Maybe I'm just clueless or naive, but does anyone know why Who fans are so goddamn angry all the time? Just saw a fan compare Chibnall's run to domestic abuse!? Why does this happen? Seriously chill out, it's just a television show. No need for the vitriol and even threatening language.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
anytime I try to discuss media I like outside of this website I feel like I'm steppin into a bizarro world where everyone is really mad about everything, can't take or make a joke, and wild swings between things you're never allowed to criticize in the slightest or that in unforgiveable to even argue isn't all bad.

Davros1 posted:

In the 60s comics, the First Doctor absolutely had a Bag of Holding

Comics can sometimes surprisingly be good continuations of shows, the Buffy ones my mom had I read I remember being pretty good. I should check the Who comics out sometime.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Just saw a fan compare Chibnall's run to domestic abuse!?

:stare:

Yeah.... that's crazy-town talk, Jesus Christ. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're being tongue-in-cheek or knowingly hyperbolic but I suspect that me thinking that is more a defense mechanism so I don't have to accept that anybody would be that insane.

I mean, I grew up with Doctor Who, it's been a giant part of my life, my all time favorite show, and I've been very let down by Chris Chibnall's run but... it's just a loving television show, you know!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So the new Blu-Ray release has been announced - we’re getting Season 22!

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
The trailer for that release is phenomenal. Nicola still looks great, even if that accent still doesn't sit right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dspgDvP7pA8

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wendy Padbury: "Bring back a Quark, I say."

Big Finish, yesterday: https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/unit-nemesis-agents-of-the-vulpreen

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that dvd release is pretty cool but I wish the extra features and such were just put online. My computer doesn't even have a disc/dvd drive anymore. I love that they got Peri back for this little ad, you think there's any chance she might meet up with a new Doctor, maybe even 13?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Interestingly ‘A Fix with the Sontarans’ is listed in the extras, and I thought that would never see the light of day again because of Saville.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's Tom's birthday, which means people are breaking out their Top Ten Toms again

https://twitter.com/cooraysmith/status/1484119721771425796

I wonder how those lists would be if you included Audios in them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Maybe I'm just clueless or naive, but does anyone know why Who fans are so goddamn angry all the time? Just saw a fan compare Chibnall's run to domestic abuse!? Why does this happen? Seriously chill out, it's just a television show. No need for the vitriol and even threatening language.

I think Ian Levine called RTD's revival of the show "worse than the Nazis" or something similar. Being Extremely Mad online is an easy trap to fall into, there was that one guy who posted here for years about how he hated everyone in the thread for having different opinions from him. We've all probably fallen victim to it a little at some point, some people just never come back from it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Khanstant posted:

that dvd release is pretty cool but I wish the extra features and such were just put online. My computer doesn't even have a disc/dvd drive anymore. I love that they got Peri back for this little ad, you think there's any chance she might meet up with a new Doctor, maybe even 13?

People use Blu-Ray players.
These ads they make for the Blu-Rays are great, honestly. You've got the silly skit ones, but then the ones like these that are proper little short films. And since there are apparently five different versions of Peri that exist at the same time after Trial, it slots nicely into canon too.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 20, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That trailer ruled, Peri's reaction after being told what the people say about her was :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tonight on the random who watch we finished the back half of THE
WAR
GAMES

and, while it sagged a bit in episodes 7 and 8, remains excellent. The Time Lords essentially not giving a poo poo that there are enemy goons running around with guns because what are they going to do? Hurt a Time Lord? Pfft is so much better than, say, The Invasion of Time.

Also helps that the set design is great throughout, the music never stops being anxiety inducing and the direction is very stylish - esp for the era.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 20, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, The War Games is a masterpiece, just an absolutely incredible high note for Troughton to go out on.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I know I posted previously about not finishing my Season 22 rewatch, but damned if that trailer didn't have me seriously reconsidering. Nicola looks great, like she could hop right back into the new series as an older, wiser version of Peri without a hitch.

"The elders say you had many adventures...that your companion was a man of rainbows."

":laugh: He'll get a kick out of that!"

(from inside the TARDIS) "Peri! Peri!"

"Oh, keep your spats on, Rainbow!"

E: I also should add I've loved all these little trailer "minisodes" they've done with the classic Doctors and their companions. Seven's ones with Ace and Mel, Jo Jones (nee Grant) and her husband Cliff, and Louise Jameson (not as Leela though) with her "home assistant" :) And I apparently missed a few, such as the one with David Gooderson returning (!) as Davros, and the "Tegan Jovanka airplane safety" video.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 21, 2022

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tonight on the random who watch we finished the back half of THE
WAR
GAMES

and, while it sagged a bit in episodes 7 and 8, remains excellent. The Time Lords essentially not giving a poo poo that there are enemy goons running around with guns because what are they going to do? Hurt a Time Lord? Pfft is so much better than, say, The Invasion of Time.

Also helps that the set design is great throughout, the music never stops being anxiety inducing and the direction is very stylish - esp for the era.

The War Games is my favorite depiction of the Time Lords, it's the only time they come off as terrifying and staid instead of silly and staid.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder how those lists would be if you included Audios in them

I don't think the lists would look all that different, the Tom Baker audio line isn't as good or well-liked as docs 5-8.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Based on that trailer, Sly has gone full gnome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Give Peri her own spinoff you cowards.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

The War Games is my favorite depiction of the Time Lords, it's the only time they come off as terrifying and staid instead of silly and staid.

Every single time the Time Lords appeared, they got worse. Even in The Deadly Assassin they feel like a step down. They wind up being so mundanely bureaucratic that they're toothless.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Give Peri her own spinoff you cowards.

Not that it's likely, but RTD taking over and trying for a shared universe thing is actually the best chance we have of that happening. iirc The original idea behind the Sarah Jane Adventures was to have another retired Who companion like Katy Manning take the reigns eventually when Elizabeth Sladen wanted to move on, but in the end, it felt disrespectful when the reason for her departure was, well... her death. I wouldn't be shocked if he tries for a rotating Classic Who Companion show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jamie/Ace show please.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jamie, Leela and Ace being sent on missions by a constantly exasperated Romana.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Not that it's likely, but RTD taking over and trying for a shared universe thing is actually the best chance we have of that happening. iirc The original idea behind the Sarah Jane Adventures was to have another retired Who companion like Katy Manning take the reigns eventually when Elizabeth Sladen wanted to move on, but in the end, it felt disrespectful when the reason for her departure was, well... her death. I wouldn't be shocked if he tries for a rotating Classic Who Companion show.

I gripe about modern DW and RTD's take on it, but I would absolutely praise RTD to the heavens if he had a companion anthology series. Something along the lines of Marvel's "What If...?", where each episode focuses on a different DW companion (from the actors that are still around and want to do it), with something connecting each episode, and then there's a big ol' teamup at the end where they all get together to defeat the big bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Jamie, Leela and Ace being sent on missions by a constantly exasperated Romana.

God, yes please.

I could go for a TV Gallifrey style series.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Honestly its just cool that they made another Big Finish idea canon, as much as the show has one. Some light interconnectivty with what's happened on audio would be fun.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A prestige drama series about Tegan Jovanka telling aliens and monsters to gently caress off :hellyeah:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really hope RTD can convince every living actor who ever guessed on DW to come back for a cameo.

Is Sgt Benton still alive?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Only the living? Disney already shattered the veil of forcing the dead into working in media, perhaps RTDs new era will have the budget for us to get Ooops! All Doctors Who(And companions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"We are the Doctors Who" is a good gang-introduction when you're rolling with a squad 13-15 doctors deep.