Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

And here we are again. After about two months of new Doctor Who to talk about, we're in another year with only two new episodes to look forward to. We say goodbye to Whittaker's run as the Doctor and good riddance to Chibnall as show-runner. Here are some stats!

Davies (first run): 60 episodes produced over five years (I'm counting the End of Time (Part 2) with 2009 for argument's sake)
Moffat: 84 episodes produced over eight years
Chibnall: 31 episodes produced over five years

Make of that as you will. Whittaker's final two episodes will debut at unspecified times this year, but I'd bet they debut around the weekend of April 17th (for Easter weekend) and around October 18th (for the BBC Centenary). After that, RTD takes over again. Will it be acceptable? Who will portray the Fourteenth Doctor? Will we get a decent-sized number of episodes per season again? Only time will tell, as it always does. As per usual, I must inform you that Doctor Who is not going away any time soon, as foreign sales of future seasons obligate more of the show to be made.

The previous thread can be found here. Now, the formalities.

NO SPOILERS gently caress it, I don't know what we do about spoilers now
We have a designated spoiler thread, but under Chibnall the amount of spoilers have dried like the lake in that one episode. Use your best judgement. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

With that being said, as soon as HRH the K is able to watch it, it is no longer a spoiler. That means anyone not watching on BBC One should leave the thread and not return until they've watched the most recent episode - that is, unless you don't care about the Earth-shattering, canon-defying, poor-choiceingest developments!

WHERE DO I START?
The Woman Who Fell to Earth is a good starting point, as the current Doctor makes her first starring appearance there alongside one of her current companions. This is not to discount Doctors 9-12, but so far their stories have not made a major point in the tenure of Whittaker's Doctor. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
BritBox is the place to watch almost every episode of the original series. In addition, you're in luck if you're an American, as you can watch the original run of Doctor Who on honest-to-goodness TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations)!

For the current run:

ON TELEVISION
UK - BBC One (first run), W
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - CTV Sci-Fi Channel
Australia - ABC TV Plus (first run), ABC ME

STREAMING
UK - BBC iPlayer, Virgin TV Go
USA - AMC+ (until six months after airing), HBO Max (six months after initial airing)
Canada - Crave
Australia - ABC iView, Stan, BritBox

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE ALL-NEW GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally THOUSANDS of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. In previous threads, I would pour over all the individual lines and describe them. With the great restructure of Big Finish lines, though, I have to adapt. So, here are some bullet points:

-Doctors 1-12 have their own individual lines now, although obviously the first three Doctors are not played by Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee. Here's a handy guide: if it's current series Doctor Who, "Adventures" means it's the actual actors, while "Chronicles" means it's not.
-The Companion Chronicles & the Early Adventures generally do not feature the Doctor, and some of them are essentially audiobooks with sound effects. Check the cast list if you want to know which is which.
-If you have ever asked "what about <random character x>?", boy are you in luck! There are so many spin-offs featuring characters both familiar and unfamiliar that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a series that makes you say "THEY got a series?" Some are good, some are bad, most are unremarkable.
-Everyone has a taste, so don't rely on other people's opinions. For example, I don't care for or about Charlotte Pollard and her spin-off, but some people do! Some crazy people enjoy the story Nekromanteia - you do you!

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! People were talking about how often the modern-day Dalek shouts "Exterminate!", so...

marktheando posted:

Here's supposedly every single exterminate from the classic series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQLbwOGT8eM

BUT!

YouTube commentator "JMWAlphaZero" posted:

you haven't technically done all "exterminates" you missed the civil dalek battle from revelation, and when the dalek supreme recognised the doctor's calling card in remembrance, check and mate! =]

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising (Click here to bypass this post entirely if you want!): An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings | Survival of the Fittest | The Architects of History
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 1, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also I think it bears repeating, from the end of the last thread:

WHAT!?!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Hey, you've redecorated! :D

I don't like it. :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

Hey, you've redecorated! :D

I don't like it. :mad:

We never needed Patrick Troughton more than the last special where the Doctor opens up the TARDIS to show the rebuilt console room and it's still the empty dark mess it's been the last 2 seasons :negative:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Doctor Who in EVE Online? Pfft, call me when they show up in Star Trek Online. :techno::riker::spock:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve still got very little sense of the current console room. It’s some Himalayan salt lamps next to a typewriter, all suspended in a void.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Put some himalayan salt on some chips I cooked this evening, was quite nice but didn't really see the point over the regular kind.

Is this a metaphor for the console room? Who can say.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Doctor Who in EVE Online? Pfft, call me when they show up in Star Trek Online. :techno::riker::spock:

ELDER SCROLLS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Why is there a cow in the middle of whiterun

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

We never needed Patrick Troughton more than the last special where the Doctor opens up the TARDIS to show the rebuilt console room and it's still the empty dark mess it's been the last 2 seasons :negative:

You've... You haven't done anything.

.......I don't like it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Ya I figured that was the joke.

But I was still hoping they'd splurge the rest of their budget on a new interior, but considering how many episodes 13 has left...it doesn't make sense for them to conceive and then actually build a new one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1478437677628334089?s=20

Also, new year, new slogan: "Big Finish: For The Love Of Stories"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, with the return of RTD and the production move it's a fair bet we get an entirely new set. Probably a refreshed Police Box as well.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
“So these are my replacements… a dandy, a clown, a lunatic, a milksop, an eyesore, a creep, a romantic, a hooligan, a geek, a goof, an aging punk, and… no, I’m all right, my dear, just out of breath. Eh? Really? Take a walk with me while the others fight over the desktop theme. Nice to see my future isn’t a complete loss.”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I mean, with the return of RTD and the production move it's a fair bet we get an entirely new set. Probably a refreshed Police Box as well.

It'll be interesting if RTD decides to revert the designs of the Cybermen and the Sontarans

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It sure is nice and easy getting your story made when you already work for BF. :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

It'll be interesting if RTD decides to revert the designs of the Cybermen and the Sontarans

Probably all new going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if they tweak the Daleks again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It sure is nice and easy getting your story made when you already work for BF. :mad:

You could do what he did; make your own audios and hope to get noticed

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

That was honestly pretty dire, with the only change being the lighting's now orange-blue rather than blue (or purple, as it was last series)

It feels a little less claustrophobic, or maybe that's just because it was a wide reveal shot rather than a close-up of a face around the console...

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 5, 2022

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Here's to new years, fun times, and new stories that make sense!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Dan_KennedyWSDK/status/1478445534667063298

What would your ideal 60th Anniversary be?

Eight's third on-screen appearance?
Multi-Doctor Story?
Totally Killing The Daleks For Realsies This Time™?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ideal 60th Anniversary:

The BBC hold a press conference and say,"Sorry about how sporadic the number of episodes per year has been since series 6, but we can finally reveal that it was because we have already shot 100+ episodes of The 8th Doctor Adventures starring Paul McGann and we'll be airing a run of 6 episodes every time more than 3 months without a new modern series of Doctor Who airs from now until time itself runs down and the universe reaches its heat death."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/MenaceSpreads/status/1478681359174492164

Finally, the perfect tweet for a new thread

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was some 11th doctor audio which involved him having to coordinate with all of the other doctors via garbled messages to solve a major problem across time and space. Something like that would be a good model for the 60th anniversary. Try to get any actor who ever appeared on the series, old or new, involved in some way, even if just for quick easter egg cameos or to play extras, while keeping the bulk of the story on maybe just like... 13->14 8 and 9 teaming up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Forty trailer

Cybermen, Ice Warriors, and Adric, oh my

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Forty trailer

Cybermen, Ice Warriors, and Adric, oh my

Speaking of which, what are the good Fifth Doctor audios to pick up? Most of them seem to be on sale at the moment. Davison is my least favorite Doctor so I haven't paid much attention to what's available there, though I fo have Spare Parts at least.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7048270346876669190

You know what? A deaf Irish non-binary companion would be brilliant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For the 60th anniversary special, I'd suggest doing a story akin to the book the Eight Doctors. The 14th Doctor runs into previous generations of selves one at a time, as opposed to all at once.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Vinylshadow posted:

What would your ideal 60th Anniversary be?

"The BBC announced today, on the 60th anniversary of the show, that going forward all Doctor Who stories will return to the 25-minute "episodic" format commonly used during the show's previous run from 1963 to 1989, in order to allow for more cliffhangers, more world-building, and also so that the show doesn't become just a soap opera with sci-fi elements again. Also that returning showrunner Russell T. Davies has been advised that there is now a moratorium on the following tropes: companions being from modern-day Earth, companions falling in love with the Doctor, companions being "cleverer" or "quirkier" than the Doctor, season finales that keep increasing the stakes to ridiculous levels, any Scooby-Doo or game show homages/pastiches/parodies, and any human/paving slab hybrids providing their loser boyfriends with oral sex. Oh, and the Weeping Angels, because they're beyond played out. Seriously, they're less scary than the Cybermen or the Sontarans at this point."

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 5, 2022

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Since we already got an excellent, focused, relatively understated special for the 50th anniversary, like The Three Doctors was for the 10th, I hope for the 60th we get a completely stupid, totally overstuffed and super fun mess more like The Five Doctors.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking of which, what are the good Fifth Doctor audios to pick up? Most of them seem to be on sale at the moment. Davison is my least favorite Doctor so I haven't paid much attention to what's available there, though I fo have Spare Parts at least.

Spare Parts is everyone's number one go-to for The Fifth Doctor, so I suggest that.

Others I would recommend:

The Mutant Phase
The Eye of the Scorpion
The Church and the Crown
Singularity
The Kingmaker
The Eternal Summer
The Elite
The Burning Prince
The Light at the End (also starring Fourth, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth)
Tomb Ship
The Fifth Doctor Boxset (for the story Iterations of I)
The Secret History
And You Will Obey Me
Time in Office

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Forktoss posted:

Since we already got an excellent, focused, relatively understated special for the 50th anniversary, like The Three Doctors was for the 10th, I hope for the 60th we get a completely stupid, totally overstuffed and super fun mess more like The Five Doctors.

The Cyberleader's already initiating "Stand in a straight line and do absolutely nothing to retaliate" protocols for when the Raston Warrior Robot shows up again.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Cyberleader's already initiating "Stand in a straight line and do absolutely nothing to retaliate" protocols for when the Raston Warrior Robot shows up again.

Hm...RTD did express interest in using it during his original tenure, so it might actually show up this time around

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alright, I'm finally going to say it. I don't think that guy meant that the slab was giving him a blowjob.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Bicyclops posted:

Alright, I'm finally going to say it. I don't think that guy meant that the slab was giving him a blowjob.

What sort of "love life" were they having then

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

What sort of "love life" were they having then

I don't know. Maybe they make out, or she croons ELO in a sexy voice while he jerks off, or she watches while he has sex with a Zygon that's taking her shape, or any other number of cringeworthy scenarios. The way she's cemented in, it doesn't seem realistic that she could blow him, even if he is holding the slab and even if he has a pretty tiny wiener, and, furthermore, the way she says "Oh, let's not get into all that" seems to imply that it is more complicated and weird than a blowjob.

I think the intention behind the line is to imply that even despite only realizing they were in love just before her condition, they live a full-throated romance with all of their needs met. Obviously that is preposterous and the choice to have the Doctor "save" her by giving her a fate worse than death was a bad one (it's Doctor Who, there are no rules, why couldn't he have just saved her in a way that left her as a regular person and spouted some technobabble about how he did it as the surprise?). It does ruin an otherwise decent, if silly, episode. But "blowjob slab" is a meme not supported by the text, and I stand by that!!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know. Maybe they make out, or she croons ELO in a sexy voice while he jerks off, or she watches while he has sex with a Zygon that's taking her shape, or any other number of cringeworthy scenarios. The way she's cemented in, it doesn't seem realistic that she could blow him, even if he is holding the slab and even if he has a pretty tiny wiener, and, furthermore, the way she says "Oh, let's not get into all that" seems to imply that it is more complicated and weird than a blowjob.

I think the intention behind the line is to imply that even despite only realizing they were in love just before her condition, they live a full-throated romance with all of their needs met. Obviously that is preposterous and the choice to have the Doctor "save" her by giving her a fate worse than death was a bad one (it's Doctor Who, there are no rules, why couldn't he have just saved her in a way that left her as a regular person and spouted some technobabble about how he did it as the surprise?). It does ruin an otherwise decent, if silly, episode. But "blowjob slab" is a meme not supported by the text, and I stand by that!!

Occam's razor holds that, if you have two competing ideas or solutions to a problem, the simplest one is the correct answer.

Put another way: he was sticking his knob in the paving stone's gob

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Occam's razor holds that, if you have two competing ideas or solutions to a problem, the simplest one is the correct answer.

Put another way: he was sticking his knob in the paving stone's gob

Your honor. Members of the jury. Assembled press. I would submit that her sucking him off is far from the simplest interpretation of the text. Consider: she only has part of her mouth so his dingus would be hitting the concrete uncomfortably, or else she would just be licking the tip a little. Additionally, while it is possible she can spit most of his semen out in this laughable hypothetical, some of it would no doubt splatter the "slab" that her face is stuck in, and the only way to clean it up would be through her mouth, which would be hugely unpleasant for her. There are clearly too many logistics and questions involved for this to be Occam's razor. Plus, the phrase "into all that" (emphasis mine) indicates that what they are referencing is not in fact the simplest solution; indeed, it seems to imply that it is something so bizarre that it would take detailed explanation for those of us with non pavement slab partners to understand.

In fact, *chuckling* I'd go so far as to say that line is... blown out of proportion? Why the obsession with it, in an ending where someone experiencing a horrible fate is supposed to be a happy ending, is what... sucks.

Your witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's just awkward kissing and very shallow frenching

...what happens if he drops her? Is that murder, or vandalism?