Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can't play darts at all with gamepad so I just do it with the mouse and it's just a matter of literally clicking exactly where you want the dart to go, which feels bad. Pool is forever beyond me in any given game or real life for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pool is legitimately hard in the Yakuza games, I think. The requirements for pool in 0 and kiwami 1 are extremely lax (get 3 combination shots and 3 carom shots) and it's still one of the most difficult things in both games. It'll definitely be one of the last things I try to do in 5, I'd rather play pachinko

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Lol at the biker gang in Lost Judgment. Anyone enjoyed the taxi missions in Y5 you will get much the same feels.

The robotics club is a bit of a grind though…

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i've hit 90 percent completion in yakuza 5 and the coliseum hasn't even opened up yet. feeling the heat.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Saori is loving ice cold in Lost Judgment. Wrecking people all over the place

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone who gets 100% in a yakuza game is a hero and deserves a medal :patriot:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
the fighting in Judgment feels great. I wish there were more ways to get into fights throughout the game... it really needs a big coliseum or something you can really let loose in

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone who gets 100% in a yakuza game is a hero and deserves a medal :patriot:

it starts to get easier with all the games that are newer than 5 IMO. the completion metrics in 0, k1 and k2 are usually stuff like "perform 30 heat actions" or "get 3 carom shots" instead of "get literally every heat action" and "beat the hard opponent for every different version of pool." they also give you rewards at milestones (completion points/xp for eating 30 times) instead of only giving you one thing if you eat literally all the food. it's one of the many reasons i think they should do a kiwami 3.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i will never get 100% in a yakuza game but salute to those who do

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I am simply too stupid to ever learn how to play mahjong.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

American McGay posted:

this but also shogi

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Kiryu losing at shogi to the saddest hobo in Japan because I can't read.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty close to 100% in 6 (which is the easiest one I think) but to do it I'd have to hunker down and play dozens and dozens of the clan builder minigame and that just ain't gonna happen.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

a Loving Dog posted:

i will never get 100% in a yakuza game but salute to those who do

:hai:

The huge amount of content has always made me feel like the game is just telling you not to worry about 100%. Not in an intimidating way, just like the game is saying “if this minigame isn’t your thing just go ditch it and find one you like instead—we’ve got plenty.”

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Fungah! posted:

this but also shogi

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

this but also shogi

i'm terrible at shogi but the requirements for it are lax even in the hard games. it's usually something like "win 5 times" and you can just do the baby beginner challenge over and over, lol. there's also a cheat item in some of the games that literally highlights where to move your piece, like it stops just shy of playing it for you.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The huge amount of content has always made me feel like the game is just telling you not to worry about 100%. Not in an intimidating way, just like the game is saying “if this minigame isn’t your thing just go ditch it and find one you like instead—we’ve got plenty.”

it helps that all of it is extremely skippable. many of them will get you money or items you can use, but equipment isn't super important and money-wise, you're often better off just beating up thugs until one of them drops a platinum plate. like playing virtua fighter 2 or gurnheim literally doesn't get you anything in yakuza 5 unless you finish all the other mini-games.

i generally run a circuit of the city trying the various mini-games until i bounce off them, trying to get new heat actions, experience and some money as i go from place to place, and when it feels like the content is wearing thin, i advance the story. that's been enough to get me to 90 percent and i imagine when i stop, i'll have like four things that i just decided i didn't want to do.

mahjong and koi-koi rule, though.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

American McGay posted:

Yup

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
mahjong is really easy. die! also people who 100% this crap are morons. gently caress you!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

mahjong and koi-koi rule, though.

I didn’t really get koi-koi when the mainline yakuza games were trying to teach it, then I learned it from the Clubhouse Games thing on Switch which teaches it a lot better and when I unlocked it in my Judgment replay I just sat there and played it for 3 hours straight lol. Probably my favorite card game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ill never be good at mahjong but by god every yakuza game i play i sit there for like ten hours playin it. same with koi koi but at least there i know what i'm doin mostly

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the song when you call koi activates 100% of the adrenaline nodes in my brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0BTWzB8HIo

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

inserting "YAKUZA LIKE A DRAGON DAY ICHI STEELBOOK EDITION" in the playstation for the first time. wish me luck

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
koi koi slaps, the koi koi song slaps. they should put it in standalone koi koi games

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
is the fist of the north star game any good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

is the fist of the north star game any good

from wht ive heard its got less content than a normal yakuza game but still a shitload. also its fotns so it's cool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it looks like it has a hostess mini-game of some kind? it was released after kiwami 2, so at the very least, the graphics will be impressive.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bicyclops posted:

it looks like it has a hostess mini-game of some kind? it was released after kiwami 2, so at the very least, the graphics will be impressive.

it's on the yakuza 0 engine, not the dragon engine, but it's sort of cel shaded so it has a really cool look of its own

game's real good tho, and you can get a skin to play as kiryu (which rules because it's the same VA if you're playing the proper way (with subtitles))

the hostess minigame isn't quite as good as the one in 0 and K2, but it's still fun

instead of matching clients with hostesses and ensuring they're happy for the duration of their stay, you try and crowd them with effective hostesses and use special abilities to get them satisfied and out the door ASAP

i haven't finished the substories for the hostess stuff yet, but there's a ton of missions and story stuff attached to it just like in 0 and K2, which is pretty rad

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dewgy posted:

it's on the yakuza 0 engine, not the dragon engine, but it's sort of cel shaded so it has a really cool look of its own

game's real good tho, and you can get a skin to play as kiryu (which rules because it's the same VA if you're playing the proper way (with subtitles))

the hostess minigame isn't quite as good as the one in 0 and K2, but it's still fun

instead of matching clients with hostesses and ensuring they're happy for the duration of their stay, you try and crowd them with effective hostesses and use special abilities to get them satisfied and out the door ASAP

i haven't finished the substories for the hostess stuff yet, but there's a ton of missions and story stuff attached to it just like in 0 and K2, which is pretty rad

oh hey, youve played it. do they use ai wo torimodose or tough boy for anything? those songs kick so much rear end and i'm hopin to hear them in a boss fight or somethin

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fungah! posted:

oh hey, youve played it. do they use ai wo torimodose or tough boy for anything? those songs kick so much rear end and i'm hopin to hear them in a boss fight or somethin

i'm not the biggest fotns fan in the world so i could be wrong on this, but i think the music's all original/swiped from yakuza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThFORq-1rlQ

they made a butt rock version of receive you though (the original rgg theme song) so it balances out

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Using the Majima voice actor for Jagi was a stroke of genius

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mysterious loyall X posted:

mahjong is really easy. die!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ok i might play the hokuto shinken game some day then

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The fotns game rules. It might get a bit repetitive, but if you’re a fan of the anime/manga then it’s a must play

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dewgy posted:

i'm not the biggest fotns fan in the world so i could be wrong on this, but i think the music's all original/swiped from yakuza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThFORq-1rlQ

they made a butt rock version of receive you though (the original rgg theme song) so it balances out

thats a shame but oh well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i feel guilty standing here looking at my phone and collecting money from all my properties. like im playing the game wrong……but its so much money and it comes so fast

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

scary ghost dog posted:

i feel guilty standing here looking at my phone and collecting money from all my properties. like im playing the game wrong……but its so much money and it comes so fast

and yet it's absolute peanuts compared to what you can get by cheesing mr shakedown

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dewgy posted:

and yet it's absolute peanuts compared to what you can get by cheesing mr shakedown

lol yeah. I had to farm him for a bit to get all the weapons bc I spent all my money on the big gold statue of kiryu fanning himself with money

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm playing yakuza kiwami 2 and then I'm done yakuza from even PS2

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I played 1 and 2 on PS2, then 0, then 345 remaster, then kiwami, and now I'm on kiwami 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm playing kiwami 2 on hard mode and really really looking forward to the tiger fight