Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Thoguh posted:

It is a very crack/ping exercise to consider how swiftly and strongly we respond to low probability events that cause a handful of deaths in most areas but just shrug our shoulders at hundreds of thousands of deaths that are mostly easily preventable. A company can sell a million units of some kids toy, have one or two kids choke on it, and then basically go bankrupt between the recall and lawsuits. 2 planes crash and it costs Boeing billions of dollars. One person gets sick from Listeria and we recall tens of millions of dollars worth of lettuce. And so one. But a 9/11's worth of people dieing a day to an airborne contagious disease? Open 'er up, it's nothing.

they're preventable, but they require minor, direct and visible inconvenience to everyone. there's no direct "do this" -> "solves this" causation either; the effects of people wearing masks on the resulting death toll is only statistical. no one can say "wearing a mask this one time specifically lead to this one specific person not dying". there's no opportunity to be directly praised for doing the right thing. there's no way to directly hold individuals responsible for deaths without any "reasonable doubt". the entire problem is one which only really exists when looking at total populations as a whole, and the only solutions are collective actions by those populations. and the past 40 years of neoliberal ideology have been wholly dedicated to making sure that the very idea of collective action is seen as unnecessary, ineffective, impossible, and even morally wrong. and they were successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Going by just the official numbers, 1336 Americans have died every single day since 4/1/2020 from the coronavirus, roughly 18% higher mortality every single day for 659 straight days, and absolutely nobody gives a gently caress anymore. And people will imply that *you* are the person with brain problems if you bring up how insane that is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mistermojo posted:

its crazy how many more people are dying with covid all of a sudden

Many such cases!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/LolOverruled/status/1483912807561285639

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

i am harry posted:

wow we're past three grand and closer to four?!

I came up with a new nickname for Joe, it's Status Quo Biden... but then i thought about how he's making fifteen thousand americans die every week and i think a different name is appropriate.

Empty Shelves Joe was fun, but we seemed to abandon that one almost immediately. My local grocery store was as pathetic as it's ever been yesterday.

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

its not complicated, when companies are involved the gigantic legal system gets going against them. just look at the opioid crisis - fair amount of deaths, tons of lawsuits, huge amount of litigation, now the main manufacturers aren't pumping out their supply anymore. but wait, opioid deaths have doubled with the move to illicit product. oh well, nothing to be done, just the way things are now

There was a good episode of It Could Happen Here last week about hyperobjects that I thought did a good job touching on why humans have such a difficult time thinking about problems that are intangible but have tangible effects, like covid and climate change.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-it-could-happen-here-30717896/episode/hyperobjects-our-liminal-reality-91725702/

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

when it comes to the olfactory bulbs (ur nose) and that area of the brain, COVID can’t be beat (this thread is in comparison Flu A)

https://twitter.com/Justin_Frere/status/1484185019006468096?s=20

So good we are finding potential more links to long COVID but friends, I just sadly report, COVID is not just the flu

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

cr0y posted:

So I usually just check around this thread for national numbers but what is the go-to dashboard for more local case data and graphs? (USA, maybe down to the county level?)

I've always just been able to google "X County, State COVID"

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Joe "Kill 'em All" Biden

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

pretty wild that when we get "war fatigue" it means we want to stop losing american lives on a failed imperial conquest, but when we get "covid fatigue" it means we want to die by the thousands per day for applebees

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Animal-Mother posted:

Empty Shelves Joe was fun, but we seemed to abandon that one almost immediately. My local grocery store was as pathetic as it's ever been yesterday.

BBB = Burnin' Bodies Biden

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Leon Sumbitches posted:

If there are any computer touchers who could set up a news alert blast for when SHTF and call all the lurkers back to the thread, it would be a boon for mental health for many.

Legitimately, this is the best source of COVID information that exists. Simultaneously, reading it daily is not doing my depression/anxiety any favors.

Skip to the last page daily without reading anything, if the unread post count is 2000 then SHTF

(or someone said trmpu)

incidentally only 200 posts overnight is sad night crew energy so i assume covid is over

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Going by just the official numbers, 1336 Americans have died every single day since 4/1/2020 from the coronavirus, roughly 18% higher mortality every single day for 659 straight days, and absolutely nobody gives a gently caress anymore. And people will imply that *you* are the person with brain problems if you bring up how insane that is.

I keep wondering if we're eventually going to have a collective realization of what we've lost but then I remember lol of course we won't

There's no way American society doesn't just continue to get more psychopathically committed to the death cult after all this.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zurtilik posted:

Joe "Kill 'em All" Biden

I'm from Open Biden and I say kill em all!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

If you get 20,000 posts overnight Trump got COVID again.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You have 22 pages of posts in the covid thread and have been hanging out maskless with someone 4 months out of your booster lmaoo ????

Yeah, I'm a loving idiot.

We were at least spaced out a good bit for most of the time.

I'll let yall know if I die.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Buddy, I'm out here suck and loving all day and night. I'm here to cry about how no one in power will ever do anything.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ash1138 posted:

pretty wild that when we get "war fatigue" it means we want to stop losing american lives on a failed imperial conquest, but when we get "covid fatigue" it means we want to die by the thousands per day for applebees

i'm trying to find a good screenshot of the scene in Paths of Glory where Kirk Douglas agrees to send his men on an impossible mission to take "The Anthill," an extremely fortified position that an idiot general insists must be taken, but instead of the anthill it's applebee's

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Crazyweasel posted:

when it comes to the olfactory bulbs (ur nose) and that area of the brain, COVID can’t be beat (this thread is in comparison Flu A)

So good we are finding potential more links to long COVID but friends, I just sadly report, COVID is not just the flu

Yeah, immune response can wreak as much havoc on the brain as direct infection. Between weeks of subclinical hypoxia and global cytokine storms I would be surprised to [I]not[/[I] see damage in the brain. It still doesn't look like COVID has gained the ability to travel up the olfactory nerve and infect the brain.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Has a goon ever posted from beyond the grave? Somehow, this seems possible.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SchrodingersCat posted:

Yeah, immune response can wreak as much havoc on the brain as direct infection. Between weeks of subclinical hypoxia and global cytokine storms I would be surprised to [I]not[/[I] see damage in the brain. It still doesn't look like COVID has gained the ability to travel up the olfactory nerve and infect the brain.

lol imagine if cov2 could infect like rabies

anyway going to go scream now tia

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-threatens-to-bring-a-wave-of-hikikomori-to-america/

If you don't want Covid you're crazy.

Apr 7, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

statistically speaking, multiple covid thread posters have to have died already from it

Apr 7, 2003

Handing the keys to American mass media to like six different companies all serving the same interests was a bad idea

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

they're preventable, but they require minor, direct and visible inconvenience to everyone. there's no direct "do this" -> "solves this" causation either; the effects of people wearing masks on the resulting death toll is only statistical. no one can say "wearing a mask this one time specifically lead to this one specific person not dying". there's no opportunity to be directly praised for doing the right thing. there's no way to directly hold individuals responsible for deaths without any "reasonable doubt". the entire problem is one which only really exists when looking at total populations as a whole, and the only solutions are collective actions by those populations. and the past 40 years of neoliberal ideology have been wholly dedicated to making sure that the very idea of collective action is seen as unnecessary, ineffective, impossible, and even morally wrong. and they were successful

Yeah, I agree on you for the reason why we're doing it that way. I just think it's crack ping that we're actually doing it.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Animal-Mother posted:

closest i can think of is caro coming back after being written off as dead in a torture prison somewhere in syria

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mediaphage posted:

lol imagine if cov2 could infect like rabies

anyway going to go scream now tia

quote:

Starting Jan. 31, a host of indoor settings will be able to reopen to the public with 50 per cent capacity limits, including:

Restaurants, bars and other food establishments without dancing.

Oh whew

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Leon Sumbitches posted:

If there are any computer touchers who could set up a news alert blast for when SHTF and call all the lurkers back to the thread, it would be a boon for mental health for many.

Legitimately, this is the best source of COVID information that exists. Simultaneously, reading it daily is not doing my depression/anxiety any favors.

same. I do this vvv

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Skip to the last page daily without reading anything, if the unread post count is 2000 then SHTF

(or someone said trmpu)

incidentally only 200 posts overnight is sad night crew energy so i assume covid is over

and scan for twitter embeds or anything that got quoted a lot

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

It is a very crack/ping exercise to consider how swiftly and strongly we respond to low probability events that cause a handful of deaths in most areas but just shrug our shoulders at hundreds of thousands of deaths that are mostly easily preventable. A company can sell a million units of some kids toy, have one or two kids choke on it, and then basically go bankrupt between the recall and lawsuits. 2 planes crash and it costs Boeing billions of dollars. One person gets sick from Listeria and we recall tens of millions of dollars worth of lettuce. And so one. But a 9/11's worth of people dieing a day to an airborne contagious disease? Open 'er up, it's nothing.

None of those things undermine the fundamental inner workings of capitalism the way a proper response to covid would.

But I'm sure you already know this.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

quote:

Hikikomori (Japanese: ひきこもり or 引きこもり, lit. "pulling inward, being confined"), also known as acute social withdrawal,[1][2][3][4][5] is total withdrawal from society and seeking extreme degrees of social isolation and confinement.[6] Hikikomori refers to both the phenomenon in general and the recluses themselves. Hikikomori have been described as loners or "modern-day hermits".[7]

:hai:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
god drat, so many people at my work are out sick, with one having to go to the ER today due to difficulty breathing (no clue if he's vaccinated). another dude has his whole family sick and I hope they all come out on top, he recently left the mormon church and wants to move close to where I live in Oregon to a place that isn't full of bigots and homophobes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
saw this for illinois
Statewide, as of Thursday, about 17.5% and 15.3% of Black and Latino residents, respectively, have received the third dose of the coronavirus vaccine. Meanwhile, about 36.2% of Asian residents and 32.3% of white residents have gotten the booster.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Yeah, I'm a loving idiot.

We were at least spaced out a good bit for most of the time.

We all are :unsmith: I've done the same russian roulette before and even if I joke I appreciate the anecdote so I can mentally keep poo poo tight good luck!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

We've arguably had one since period, for a month or two last summer, when COVID cases were "relatively low" in the United States. And even then they were still above the 10 cases per 100k per week that the CDC considers actual low transmission. In retrospect I wish I would have done more during the suck and gently caress summer and next time cases reach that level I probably will try to take advantage more than I did last time. But that whole article is premised on the idea that there has been significant periods of low COVID transmission since it showed up in early 2020 and that's straight up not the case.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

"like eating in restaurants" lmao gently caress off with this

I'm never going to sit down in a restaurant ever again but it's not because I'm anti-social.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I know that therapists and psychologists provide useful treatments for people who need them, but I see poo poo like this and it's a cogent reminder that the entire mental health industry exists to send people into the meat grinder so the number goes up.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

America already has hikikomori lol they’re called “neet failsons”

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I skipped out of work for a bit to pick my son up from preschool. He was one of the original mask wearers when he started and I felt bad even though it never seems to bother him. It was his first day back in ten days due to a covid exposure and now all the kids are wearing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Crazyweasel posted:

got it, Dune stillsuits will be the new respirators