Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Annoying, I already own it and got the news from elsewhere. Sorry if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

It worked for me

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Is it also for pc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Here's another free game for you not to play, straight from Microsoft-Activision:

Click green button, login, click green button again.

First time ever I've used the "translate" option in Chome. It's very handy! (I had to enable cookies to proceed, turns out.)

'Splosion Man is one of my favourite games on the Microsoft Xbox 360 home computer system :mmmhmm: But I bought it years ago so I can play it!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Relicta up on EGS.
Daemon X Machina next week.

Which i'm not familiar with but seems to be a mech game with $60 of DLC.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OgNar posted:

Relicta up on EGS.
Daemon X Machina next week.

Which i'm not familiar with but seems to be a mech game with $60 of DLC.
Looks to all be pointless cosmetic stuff, no gameplay DLC.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TIL Daemon X Machina came to PC

I wrote off the original Switch version because it ran at like 20fps

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

repiv posted:

TIL Daemon X Machina came to PC

I wrote off the original Switch version because it ran at like 20fps

I wrote it off after the demo made it seem pretty boring. But will I take it for free? Yeah.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Suburban Dad posted:

I wrote it off after the demo made it seem pretty boring. But will I take it for free and never loving play it, ever? Yeah.

FTFY.

I am still trying to figure out EGS' gameplan.... I have never spent any money on there, and I can only think of like 3 people who have, and it was all for their timed exclusives (Hitman 3, basically) and not regular stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are spending money to acquire a user base. it's not complicated or unusual.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they are spending money to acquire a user base. it's not complicated or unusual.

Yeah except it's not actually working.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I have spent money on it :shrug:

They often have those $10 off 'coupons' that make $15-20 games cheaper there than any other store. And I pretty much just buy wherever's cheapest and don't pay attention to launchers.
Of course Epic is paying those coupons out of their own pocket and still giving the full price to the publisher so that's not exactly a longterm niche either.

I'm pretty sure EGS only exists so they can say during investor storytime that they have a plan for long term profitability/cashflow even after fortnite is no longer trendy/popular. They might get a good 10 years out of it but no videogame stays #1 in the world forever.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i payed for the upgrade to world war z on egs when it came out because i had the original version on there for free already. ive been snagging all the free games for my son on egs as well so he has more games there than on steam so when he switches to buying his own games i could see him using egs instead of steam.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

How so? It's gotten people to keep the app installed, and they see the ads for Fortnite and the like. I only have a timed exclusive from there (Outer Worlds) in terms of paid for stuff, but keeping the app around has led me to playing a few of the free to play games they have (a Monster Hunter thing and a fantasy battle royale they had, at least). Some folks might get to try Europa Universalis, like it, and get DLC.

I don't know if it makes up for the total cost but I also don't know how much their cost is anyway

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fuzz posted:

best of both worlds

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are spending money and getting users. that is something companies spend money on. whether this will ever turn a profit is another matter entirely.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's hard to predict. The internet is rife with failed businesses that have operated at a loss forever in the hopes that someday the userbase can be turned into profit. On the other hand you have something like xbox where the first three generations of consoles were all unprofitable intentionally just to build a user base, so it works sometimes. At least unlike most of the failed businesses, EGS has a clear route to profitability other than get users > ???? > profit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It helps that a fair few of them are base editions of games that basically live off of DLC

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

aniviron posted:

It's hard to predict. The internet is rife with failed businesses that have operated at a loss forever in the hopes that someday the userbase can be turned into profit. On the other hand you have something like xbox where the first three generations of consoles were all unprofitable intentionally just to build a user base, so it works sometimes. At least unlike most of the failed businesses, EGS has a clear route to profitability other than get users > ???? > profit.

Aren't the consoles themselves usually not profitable anyway? I don't think Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo cares too much about losing some money on every Xbox/PlayStation/Switch sold if it means that person will buy a few games/dlc/subscriptions/micro transactions.

And if we take EGS in general as a business, I'd imagine it runs a profit anyway cause Fortnite.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I think Nintendo is the only console manufacturer that consistently breaks even or makes a profit off of consoles, but otherwise yeah Sony and Microsoft have always sold consoles as loss leaders. That doesn't mean those consoles were unprofitable overall

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Supposedly the PS5 disc version is already turning a profit on the hardware, although the digital version is still eating a loss

not that sony cares since the digital version funnels all game purchases through their store where they make the most money

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Waffleman_ posted:

It helps that a fair few of them are base editions of games that basically live off of DLC

I got Just Cause 4 free and I don't even know if the available DLC would work for it because it's all for the "reloaded edition" or something

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'll totally give DxM a download, that's more than I can say for 96% of my Epic library.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Egs isn’t losing money I’m pretty sure. Fortnite is still a cash cow.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
EGS is not profitable, it's just a loss-leader. That is separate from Fortnite and Unreal licensing, both of which make a lot of money. They also got a big cash infusion from Tencent.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 21, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Being a loss leader would mean they have plans to immediately turn the users it attracts into profitable customers, like how cheap tvs get people into the store on black friday so they can buy all the other less-heavily-discounted stuff that you still make money on.

They're not doing that.
They're doing the silicon valley / tech bubble thing where they spend all their money on "growth" with no serious plans on what their path to profitability will be when they're done collecting users.
Just like Twitter, Uber, and Discord.
Although those three are actually pissing away investor money (and using the growth to attract more investors), unlike EGS who seem to be spending their own fortnite profits on this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm sure that Epic plans to Blockchain something something profit userbase NFT

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
the plan is to get bought by M$ for $$$ billion dollars.

Uber is a profitable company as of Nov. Their strategy is clear; exploit contractor labor.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think the plan is to sell videogames on their store

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Their plan is to relitigate this loving conversation every ten posts AAARGH

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm just so mad about epic games!!!!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm just so mad about epic games!!!!

CHAI-NUH

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This conversation is not at all epic

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You know what's epic? Getting a game for free and never playing it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've been playing both Prey and Pathfinder, oddly.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cojawfee posted:

You know what's epic? Getting a game for free and never playing it.

you just wrote EGS's slogan.

Getting free games and never playing them. That's Epic.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've been playing both Prey and Pathfinder, oddly.

Cringe

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
How can you call these games free when I'm required to buy a mouse to click on the purchase button? And furthermore

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

how many bits and electrons did it cost for me to run the EGS app???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

how many bits and electrons did it cost for me to run the EGS app???

Who even has that installed? lol