Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A good AR headset for mass consumer use needs to be full 6DOF, natural light passthrough (and a way to block that light), varifocal, eye tracking, at the very least 85 degrees FOV and at least somewhat lightweight.

This won't be that, so it will fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I call that 'Proto-AR', it's just a VR headset with two rgb cameras to do passthrough. Think of it as training wheels until AR technology matures.

It means it will be a Quest Pro competitor, I guess. People who wanted someone that isn't Facebook to try should be happy!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I can't wait for Google to release it, then abandon it three months later for whatever new shiny thing distracts them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Had to laugh. Started playing Arizona sunshine on the quest and it has you calibrate by putting your hands where you waist is so you can holster correctly. I was sitting down, and now I'm like loving ben shapiro running around blasting zombies that I barely come up to the waist on. Car door handles are eye level.

I honestly don't know if I want to recalibrate out not, cause this is hilarious.

That always bugged me about that game.

The calibration says "lower hands to waist" but the picture shows a figure laying their arms and hands flat against their sides.

Which is it?! :mad:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hitman is pretty cool - runs fine on low settings for the most part on 7700k and 1080 - few hitches here and there and I miss the big crowds from flatscreen but it's fine. Pretty sharp overall - it was much blurrier when i tried on high and I'm assuming airlink was heavily downscaling. I was running at 120hz too - I'll try going down to 72 when I can play after work.

The IK is weird - it clearly was not made by people that like to use their IRL rotation to turn rather than thumbstick turn - doing so very quickly turns 47 into a spaghetti armed monstrosity.

Aiming with pistols is really tough. There's no aim assist at all, you need to use sights, and it gets weird when combined with the aforementioned spaghetti arms.

Going loud and mowing down civilians and guards is genuinely kind of horrifying in VR.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 20, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey do the Quest 2 controllers do well with 1.2v rechargable batteries or do they need 1.5?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Hitman has no left handed mode, and is unbelievably janky. As a VR experience, I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Interacting with items, running around, using melee and ranged weapons are all just less than pleasant experiences.

Having said that, it's pretty satisfying getting non combat kills. Following clues, setting up an 'accident' and 'blending in' while watching it happen feels pretty great and immersive in VR. Extreme jankyness aside, Hitman in VR is as good an idea as it sounds.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 20, 2022

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Gangringo posted:

I can't wait for Google to release it, then abandon it three months later for whatever new shiny thing distracts them.

Yeah someone post the jpeg that shows all the hardware they’ve abandoned only a dozen or so months after it comes out

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If it gets a couple polish patches it'll be really superb.

I'm already seeing people complaining about how many interactions are button presses and it's disappointing - some in the VR community are so hard to please. The devs clearly put more than a minimal amount of effort into it and it amounted to three full games that in concept are nearly perfectly suited to VR, with environments that are miles beyond anything else you'll see in VR in terms of complexity.

I just worry that the vocal contingent that are negative about any VR conversion that isn't a full physics based 1-1 interaction will turn off devs from wanting to do more conversions like this. Physical movement is a big part of VR for me but just as much if not more is just getting to 'be there'.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Walrus posted:

I'm already seeing people complaining about how many interactions are button presses and it's disappointing - some in the VR community are so hard to please. The devs clearly put more than a minimal amount of effort into it and it amounted to three full games that in concept are nearly perfectly suited to VR, with environments that are miles beyond anything else you'll see in VR in terms of complexity.

There's too many oversights and bad solutions to solved problems for it to be considered "good". When there are now multiple fan mods that do a better job converting flatscreen mechanics to VR, a port like this feels cheap and lazy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I find it hard calling a free VR conversion cheap and lazy no matter how many props can't be interacted with. They could've just not done it at all for PCVR.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So it sounds like hitman is meant to be a controller (not a real vr) experience and they added support for hand strangulation?

GutBomb posted:

I’m unbelievably disappointed in the guns in hitman 3.

When you bring the sniper rifle scope close to your eye it cuts to a floating 2d screen in front of you. This is a solved problem and has been for years. I don’t understand how something so simple could get so botched. The terrible scope interface in fallout 4 vr is better than this.

Rifle handling is also just completely wrong. You can swing your left arm around all you want while holding the rifle but it won’t move, only the right hand moves it.

You reload with a button. No other method of reloading.

The fun in hitman is the non-gun kills anyway but holy crap of all the things you could get wrong in a VR game with motion controls I didn’t expect guns to be what was completely messed up.

That is absolute garbage, definitely not throwing money at such a lazy implementation.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A bad port is a bad port, regardless of it's cost. It's problems also go deeper than world interactions, even reloading is a button press.

Basic stuff like player direction is broken and stuck in PSVR seated paradigms, 360 or roomscale play aren't possible as it stands. Weird mapping choices like binding run to grip. Two handed weapons being mostly cosmetic with no gunstock emulation. Player IK is shaky and jank. Poorly implemented HUD elements.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 20, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Walrus posted:

some in the VR community are so hard to please.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

All you're doing right now is criticizing people for criticizing something. It's pretty dumb, particularly when we're in a video game discussion forum not game developer dick sucking zone.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Like honestly who cares if you press a button to reload. Pretend to pull a mag out of your belt and stick it in if it's that important to you.

Also, it's not a port, it's a free update to an existing game.

SCheeseman posted:

Basic stuff like player direction is broken and stuck in PSVR seated paradigms, 360 or roomscale play aren't possible as it stands. Weird mapping choices like binding run to grip. Two handed weapons being mostly cosmetic with no gunstock emulation. Player IK is shaky and jank. Poorly implemented HUD elements.

These are all issues for sure, most of which I am betting will be fixed in patches.

What isn't an issue is mechanics being tied to button presses, in a VR conversion.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I guess if you think ‘VR’ = looking at things in a 3d space then yeah vr fans are hard to please.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

oh no, one of the best games of the past decade getting ported for vr is awful, they made us push buttons to reload, this irreparably degrades the experience even though all of the core game functionality works

the sniper point is kinda legit though, i can understand that complaint, though a niche challenge weapon (which is what the sniper is in hitman, as silly as that sounds) being poorly supported is eh

and lmao at expecting gunstock emulation in loving hitman

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SCheeseman posted:

All you're doing right now is criticizing people for criticizing something. It's pretty dumb, particularly when we're in a video game discussion forum not game developer dick sucking zone.

No I'm saying it makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. I wish it was full motion controls too but I'll take what I can get because it's a free add-on to a game I already own. If this was a $60 standalone product then yeah I'm with you it's cheap and lazy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nuts and Gum posted:

That is absolute garbage, definitely not throwing money at such a lazy implementation.

Well it's a good thing it's free then!

Unless you mean you don't already have any of the new Hitman games, in which case why do you not have any of the new Hitman games?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Like honestly who cares if you press a button to reload. Pretend to pull a mag out of your belt and stick it in if it's that important to you.

Also, it's not a port, it's a free update to an existing game.
Making reloading a manual process means it becomes a game mechanic with it's own little skill loop. It's satisfying and puts you in full control over firearms combat instead of being beholden to the timing of pre-set animations. So, nah I'm good.

It's a PSVR port, as made evident by the fact that it's clearly still steeped in it's limitations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

explosivo posted:

No I'm saying it makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. I wish it was full motion controls too but I'll take what I can get because it's a free add-on to a game I already own. If this was a $60 standalone product then yeah I'm with you it's cheap and lazy.

It isn't for me, I paid money specifically because of the VR support.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

oh no, one of the best games of the past decade getting ported for vr is awful, they made us push buttons to reload, this irreparably degrades the experience even though all of the core game functionality works

the sniper point is kinda legit though, i can understand that complaint, though a niche challenge weapon (which is what the sniper is in hitman, as silly as that sounds) being poorly supported is eh

Proper gun handling is in the thousands of 99 cent zombie wave shooters that litter steam. It’s surprising that this AAA game doesn’t. I’m not talking about lawsuits here, I’m just expressing my disappointment that the vr mode didn’t live up to my extremely modest expectations.

Eavesdropping, skulking around, and doing covert poo poo in this game in VR is very cool and fun so I still enjoy it, but as far as VR interactions even unmodded skyrim vr is better.

Edit: I’m also in the camp that never bought any of the games and when I heard the VR version was being fleshed out for PC I bought all of them and waited to play them until today when I could do it in VR.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I love to reload during battle as much as the next guy but I couldn't imagine reworking all weapons to have proper magazines and charging is expected for a free VR update to not be lazy. Especially in a game like Hitman.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SCheeseman posted:

Making reloading a manual process means it becomes a game mechanic with it's own little skill loop. It's satisfying and puts you in full control over firearms combat instead of being beholden to the timing of pre-set animations. So, nah I'm good.

Ok, so why exactly would you want to tack on a game mechanic with its own little skill loop to a game that was not balanced around it?

Or well, I get why you want it but I just don't get why you think it's necessary.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

King Vidiot posted:

Unless you mean you don't already have any of the new Hitman games, in which case why do you not have any of the new Hitman games?

I actually don’t, I should fix that!

I feel like an established game company should realize people spend thousands of dollars on PCVR, and throwing in a ‘vr but not really’ mode stinks of a project manager trying to ensure another buzzword is slapped on the box of their game.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gunstock emulation should be in every VR game that lets you use a rifle with a gunstock, since stocks are designed in mind to use the body of the user as stabilization and there isn't any reason not to account for that.

The Walrus posted:

Ok, so why exactly would you want to tack on a game mechanic with its own little skill loop to a game that was not balanced around it?

Or well, I get why you want it but I just don't get why you think it's necessary.
Because it's fun and adds additional immersion, complexity and variety in combat encounters. It's also expected due to it's prevalence in the popular made for VR shooters.

I doubt purity of game mechanics were in mind when implementing VR support when it's possible to run around ragdolling people by slapping them real hard

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 20, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The Walrus posted:

I just worry that the vocal contingent that are negative about any VR conversion that isn't a full physics based 1-1 interaction will turn off devs from wanting to do more conversions like this. Physical movement is a big part of VR for me but just as much if not more is just getting to 'be there'.

because most complaints seem valid in this case. This isn't 2016 anymore and missing so much of the VR design bedrock developed since then is straight up weird coming from an insanely detail-oriented studio like IO.

I wouldn't worry about devs getting bad feedback. The VR ball is rolling and if they don't want to push even a little bit but instead jump on, then that's fine. I would have assumed they would be using all of the other tools people on the ball have added to it

also I checked the settings, and there's no gorilla movement setting? :confused:

The Walrus posted:

bad opinion alert bwee-ooop

If I wanted to use my imagination I wouldn't be strapping a loving tv to my eyeballs

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 20, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

Gunstock emulation should be in every VR game that lets you use a rifle with a gunstock, since stocks are designed in mind to use the body of the user as stabilization and there isn't any reason not to account for that.

GutBomb posted:

Proper gun handling is in the thousands of 99 cent zombie wave shooters that litter steam. It’s surprising that this AAA game doesn’t. I’m not talking about lawsuits here, I’m just expressing my disappointment that the vr mode didn’t live up to my extremely modest expectations.

it's not a loving shooting game, it just so happens to have guns, and most two handed gun control schemes are mediocre which is why people buy vr stock kits

its a free vr patch for a murder puzzle game

and holy poo poo its not even "vr but not really" it's still pretty loving crazy that it even vaguely works

yall who are all about vr only have some seriously wack expectations, which kinda explains all the criticism of payday 2 vr in the past

SCheeseman posted:

Payday 2 VR also sucked, yes.

lmao

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 20, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

it's not a loving shooting game, it just so happens to have guns, and most two handed gun control schemes are mediocre which is why people buy vr stock kits

its a free vr patch for a murder puzzle game

and holy poo poo its not even "vr but not really" it's still pretty loving crazy that it even vaguely works

yall who are all about vr only have some seriously wack expectations, which kinda explains all the criticism of payday 2 vr in the past

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

forest spirit posted:

bad opinion alert bwee-ooop

If I wanted to use my imagination I wouldn't be strapping a loving tv to my eyeballs

Using your imagination is the number one way to make VR more fun and immersive. VR is an imagination expediter. If you're not literally pretending you ARE leon mowing down zombies, or pretending you are rocketing down a hill on your hoverboard, you are missing out.

I also paid for Hitman 2+3 just so I could play them in VR - and yeah it's got some issues right now but I can already tell just getting to explore these maps in first person 3D is worth the sale price I got them for easily.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

This, people should have Hitman already!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

people buy vr stock kits

I don't think this is actually true hehe. I think 99% of the people who buy them don't use them after loving with them like twice.

and I think the implication is that the complaints are coming from the small contingent of guys strapped into their HAPTIX VR VEST with our 3 FULL BODY TRACKING pucks on our feet and waist PIMAX MINI-LED 170 FOV headset ON and carbon-fibre VR rifle stock strapped, NON-SLIP shoes ready to work with our OMNIDIRECTIONAL TREADMILL scoop thing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

:wrong:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

forest spirit posted:

I don't think this is actually true hehe. I think 99% of the people who buy them don't use them after loving with them like twice.

i literally have one

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, I think what happened is having high expectations for the VR version. They showed a small trailer where it could be seen they had adapter the PSVR version to have real, 6dof control for the hands, and people (me included) imagined it meant they have completed all that it was 'missing' in the PSVR version.
But no, what they showed was really all they had done, support for 6dof controllers and not a lot else. Like some people have comments, a good VR version means things like implementing a custom system for scopes, a realistic reload system for weapons, being able to use indistintly both hands, etc. For example, ideally, they should rethink how to transmit the information that before was given with the minimap.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

For example, ideally, they should rethink how to transmit the information that before was given with the minimap.

This is the biggest actual current issue with the game.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Cryptobro posted a video from a 'Rave' at some kinda NFT knockoff of VR Chat.

It was so disappointing a showing that they shut down replies, but the replies and retweets are still putting him on blast.

https://twitter.com/alexmoss/status/1484138206291443714

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

i literally have one

we got one! hell yeah. which model and what quirk do you work around with the controllers?

the only person I thought used them was rage, and I just assumed ebola has one. I don't know if they use them actively though

The Walrus posted:

Using your imagination is the number one way to make VR more fun

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Using your imagination is the number one way to make VR more fun and immersive.

If we use the 'use yor imagination to improve the experience!', you don't need to apply to only VR.

I have seen that argument used a pair of times for non-VR games.