Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which is good!

I agree, mixes things up, I'm just concerned if the timer is too short and the map is too big then people will just camp and wait for them to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So from the look of it, Skarbrand is Taurox + MORE RAEG. So if you enjoyed Taurox, but thought that he WASN'T bullshit enough, congrats, here's an even more bullshit lord with which you can solo armies.

Khorne might actually end up being my favorite campaign. gently caress.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Reik posted:

How many factions don't get any real artillery besides catapults or bolt throwers and are now going to be able to get 4 cannons per army if they want? Assuming outposts stick around in the Immortal Empires map.

You are going to have to work hard to get the loyalty points to get all those artillery pieces.

Gonkish posted:

So from the look of it, Skarbrand is Taurox + MORE RAEG. So if you enjoyed Taurox, but thought that he WASN'T bullshit enough, congrats, here's an even more bullshit lord with which you can solo armies.

Khorne might actually end up being my favorite campaign. gently caress.

There is beauty in only caring about bloody carnage and burning as much of the map as possible.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

There is beauty in only caring about bloody carnage and burning as much of the map as possible.

Yeah, it's oddly cathartic. Like being able to teleport across the map thanks to cults and then just... spawning the throwaway armies by murderizing entire populations sounds weirdly satisfying. Skarbrand HATES waiting.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gonkish posted:

Skarbrand HATES waiting.
But does he want swimmies?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I agree, mixes things up, I'm just concerned if the timer is too short and the map is too big then people will just camp and wait for them to show up.

Something one streamer showed is that you can tell the game WHERE on the map you want the reinforcements to arrive and that changes how long the wait time is. So I think that this kind of positioning and timing strategy is part of the fun. On big maps you'll be able to stall and on small maps you won't and it'll all be about trying to find that edge.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, it's oddly cathartic. Like being able to teleport across the map thanks to cults and then just... spawning the throwaway armies by murderizing entire populations sounds weirdly satisfying. Skarbrand HATES waiting.

There's literally a button to spawn an army to fight, just in case you are waiting too long. It's amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

There's literally a button to spawn an army to fight, just in case you are waiting too long. It's amazing.

It's probably the most thematic thing they could have put into the game. "You want to fight. All the time. Forever. Sometimes there are no convenient fights nearby. So here's a button that gives you a fight."

I really, really love that CA has gone all-out in this final game. Look at the design of the factions in WH1, and then the WH3 stuff. Hell, look at the reworks they did for WH1 factions in WH2. The difference is amazing, and the series is better for it.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Was this Legend. Cause he knows all the AI exploits and fights like a weirdo because of it.

It was milk and cookies but I briefly perused Legend and him struggling with an all flamer army. Like they are so committed to their cheese they don't stop to think that maybe it isn't the best thing anymore? I watched one guy use half nurglings/half flamers and he was cleaning up far better than Legend was.

e: I suppose he's playing on legendary and whatnot which requires that poo poo maybe so just not the stream or style for me

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Despite feeling very similar because of having mostly similar rosters, both 3K and Troy has some pretty wild and great faction designs. It's really been stepped up these last few years.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Twigand Berries posted:

It was milk and cookies but I briefly perused Legend and him struggling with an all flamer army. Like they are so committed to their cheese they don't stop to think that maybe it isn't the best thing anymore? I watched one guy use half nurglings/half flamers and he was cleaning up far better than Legend was.

e: I suppose he's playing on legendary and whatnot which requires that poo poo maybe so just not the stream or style for me

Part of figuring out what cheese works and what cheese doesn't is experimenting. These influencers have barely had the game for any amount of time and may or may not have restrictions on how much they can play, so a lot of these streams are them figuring out what does and doesn't work live. Starting with the cheese you know worked from the previous game and then modifying it when it doesn't work seems like a logical approach if your goal is to figure out how to cheese the game.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Like I said, not the stream for me. The whole point of this is my opinion is maybe don’t start talking about the AI breaking when fighting your army designed to break the game?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ranged dominance is over anyway. These ranged armies are just getting rocked by Slaanesh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Twigand Berries posted:

Ranged dominance is over anyway. These ranged armies are just getting rocked by Slaanesh

This is the best news yet!

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I assume Boris is just a part of the prequel campaign.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This is the best news yet!

Turin was playing the Slaanesh survival battle and literally said “ok no more ranged, it’s just dead weight” as there is a reinforcement mechanic in those battles

Slaanesh furies have AP. They are tier 1 vargheists.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Twigand Berries posted:

I never really understood Legend's ranged fixation anyways. I understand it's more effective, but it's also very one-dimensional and boring way to play the game. You absolutely don't need full ranged armies to do well with VH battle difficulty in WH2.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Double Bill posted:

I never really understood Legend's ranged fixation anyways. I understand it's more effective, but it's also very one-dimensional and boring way to play the game. You absolutely don't need full ranged armies to do well with VH battle difficulty in WH2.
Its because you can kill entire enemy armies without taking a single loss and range damage/effectiveness is overtuned. Some people find winning battles without taking a loss fun and exciting. Ammo replenishes for free after each fight while unit models do not.

\/\/\/ exactly!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I tuned in to a Legend stream yesterday and saw that he was about a third of the way through doing the amazingly boring thing where he makes his lord run back and forth for ten minutes while the AI uses all their ammo and turned it off. I realised very suddenly that I am so totally not interested in the rigid meta strategy for owning the computer. Everyone has fun a different way and if that's your thing then hell yeah dude! But it's not for me!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just like chucking huge armies at each other, it is fun

Now link me a ten page explanation of why I am both wrong but very unintelligent

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Some people like to break the game, some like to stay within the boundaries of it. Not really sure why this is even a conversation tbh!

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
On very hard battle difficulty the melee bonuses were insane for the AI in 2, according to Legend he believes it's much less so in 3, which makes more melee focused armies viable for factions that don't have campaign effects designed around them using large amounts of infantry.

Going range heavy in 2 was only necessary for people who played like Legend, and basically treat every campaign victory as if someone's life depended on it. He needed to keep his army intact to constantly be attacking as often as possible, so going range heavy and not taking losses, kept his armies healthier.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If there was a button that would make the AI control my entire army I would press it!!!!!! And then micro the wizrd

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Legend is most fun to watch when people send him armies with unusual setups and stuff that puts him out of his comfort zone.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Chad Jihad posted:

If there was a button that would make the AI control my entire army I would press it!!!!!! And then micro the wizrd

would love this tbh

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

Not sure if you're trolling but

You can download AI General from the workshop to do exactly this

feller
Jul 5, 2006

There's a mod for wh2 that lets you gift the units to the AI to control, like how you can gift units to the spectating player in a mp campaign.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Slaanesh furries?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Double Bill posted:

Legend's entire brand as a player and streamer was pushing the extreme boundaries of breaking the singleplayer campaign into pieces, to the point where a lot of his channel content is "send me your disastrously losing campaign situations and I will salvage them by using the vast knowledge I have about how to cheese the game into oblivion".

It was less of a ranged fixation and more that ranged units were monstrously powerful in TWW2 and melee units were functionally complete garbage on higher combat difficulties due to the ill-considered AI unit bonuses(which is a problem, because outside of disaster battles Legend solely plays on Legendary). If ranged units were garbage in TWW2 and melee was king he'd have had a melee fixation.

He has plenty of videos about winning seemingly impossible battles with no ranged units, it's just that for most factions guns/bows are the easy way to win.

ad090 posted:

On very hard battle difficulty the melee bonuses were insane for the AI in 2, according to Legend he believes it's much less so in 3, which makes more melee focused armies viable for factions that don't have campaign effects designed around them using large amounts of infantry.

He did some experimenting in his Daemon Prince campaign by throwing some of his own bloodletters at an enemy unit of bloodletters just to see how bad the AI cheats were, and despite being on legendary his bloodletters actually did a lot of damage before breaking and only lost by ~10-15%, so this does seem to be the case, which is a good thing and improves melee units immensely.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 20, 2022

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

ColdIronsBound posted:

Not sure if you're trolling but

You can download AI General from the workshop to do exactly this

I'm adding this to the Hams 2 Last Hurrah list

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

doing very boring and cheesy poo poo is a lot less boring when you've got an audience to interact with and entertain.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kanos posted:

Legend's entire brand as a player and streamer was pushing the extreme boundaries of breaking the singleplayer campaign into pieces, to the point where a lot of his channel content is "send me your disastrously losing campaign situations and I will salvage them by using the vast knowledge I have about how to cheese the game into oblivion".

It was less of a ranged fixation and more that ranged units were monstrously powerful in TWW2 and melee units were functionally complete garbage on higher combat difficulties due to the ill-considered AI unit bonuses(which is a problem, because outside of disaster battles Legend solely plays on Legendary). If ranged units were garbage in TWW2 and melee was king he'd have had a melee fixation.

He did some experimenting in his Daemon Prince campaign by throwing some of his own bloodletters at an enemy unit of bloodletters just to see how bad the AI cheats were, and despite being on legendary his bloodletters actually did a lot of damage before breaking and only lost by ~10-15%, so this does seem to be the case, which is a good thing and improves melee units immensely.

I think he's admitted to have a preference for ranged. It shows up mostly in what his favorite factions are though. He's not going to force ranged if they're not working well.

I'm really glad about the bonus changes. I hope they'll lead to more diversity in playstyles.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Double Bill posted:

In addition to what Kanos said, I don't think he finds it boring. Some people just enjoy optimization.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Watching a developer interview and apparently the Slaanesh realm bribes were initially more subdued but playtesters were just ignoring them so this is the level of reward to actually get you to be Slaanesh’s little bitch.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I am reading that the other factions actually attempt to complete their story campaign as well? I'm not sure if that's true or people are just misinterpreting what they are seeing(i.e. AI's are just entering chaos rifts). I quite enjoyed that aspect of vortex, vestigial as it was, but given it's hard to balance and most of the factions added to 2 did not take part I'd be surprised if they'd do that sort of campaing again

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I see cheesing AI vs not cheesing AI no different than streaming modded total war vs streaming vanilla total war. Just different subcategories of total war content, and people have personal preferences.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Staltran posted:

In addition to what Kanos said, I don't think he finds it boring. Some people just enjoy optimization.

it's this too. Number Go Up/Not Go Down is enough for a lot of people

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Will bottom for +500 AP

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twigand Berries posted:

Turin was playing the Slaanesh survival battle and literally said “ok no more ranged, it’s just dead weight” as there is a reinforcement mechanic in those battles

Slaanesh furies have AP. They are tier 1 vargheists.

Do you have a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Do you have a link?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=st5ulKlvlM8

It’s at the end, like the last battle in the stream